Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop job for non citizen

Hi,

All my life I wanted to be a cop, since i was 10, but here is a problem - I'm not a citizen of US. I'm a legal resident with working permit. Is there any way to get employed with LE?

Please help.

P.S. I live in NH.
    Last edited by AlexS; 10-03-2006, 03:31 PM.

Dude,

How can you be a legal resident living in NH when your profile says you are in Russia?

No bueno!
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
      Dude,

How can you be a legal resident living in NH when your profile says you are in Russia?

No bueno!
      I just lived there before I came here, forgot to upgrade the profile...

Comment

Standards will vary from state to state. Here are the rules for California:

California Government Code Section 1031 and 1031.5 states that a peace officer shall be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.

Any permanent resident alien who is employed as a peace officer shall diligently cooperate with the Immigration and Naturalization Service in the processing of his or her application for citizenship and shall be disqualified from holding that position if, three years after the filing of an application for employment, the person has not obtained citizenship due to failure to cooperate in the process of the application for citizenship.

Any permanent resident alien who is employed as a peace officer shall be disqualified from holding that position if his or her application for citizenship is denied.

Information on obtaining citizenship can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Additional Requirements: A peace officer with the California Highway Patrol, per Vehicle Code 2267, must be a U.S. citizen at the time of appointment. Government Code Section 24103 stipulates that California deputy sheriffs and deputy marshals must also be “citizens of the state” (i.e., California residents). However, recently-passed legislation (SB 1241) repeals this additional requirement as of January 1, 2007.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Unless Arkansas changed its rules lately, you do not need to be a citizen to work as a cop. Just LPR with work status like you said you are. I'm sure there are other states and agencies that only require work permit.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
            Standards will vary from state to state. Here are the rules for California:

California Government Code Section 1031 and 1031.5 states that a peace officer shall be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.

Any permanent resident alien who is employed as a peace officer shall diligently cooperate with the Immigration and Naturalization Service in the processing of his or her application for citizenship and shall be disqualified from holding that position if, three years after the filing of an application for employment, the person has not obtained citizenship due to failure to cooperate in the process of the application for citizenship.

Any permanent resident alien who is employed as a peace officer shall be disqualified from holding that position if his or her application for citizenship is denied.

Information on obtaining citizenship can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Additional Requirements: A peace officer with the California Highway Patrol, per Vehicle Code 2267, must be a U.S. citizen at the time of appointment. Government Code Section 24103 stipulates that California deputy sheriffs and deputy marshals must also be “citizens of the state” (i.e., California residents). However, recently-passed legislation (SB 1241) repeals this additional requirement as of January 1, 2007.
            Have no one in Cali... Pity..

Comment

Originally posted by ArmouredSainT
              Unless Arkansas changed its rules lately, you do not need to be a citizen to work as a cop. Just LPR with work status like you said you are. I'm sure there are other states and agencies that only require work permit.
              That sounds cool. Where can i find information about other states?
              The thing is, we have an opportunity to get green card only in NH for now, and can't move for at least 3-4 years...

Comment

Hello Mate...

Have a look at this list and see if it helps....

Bottom line is that if you really want it, your going to have to either wait for citizenship or move to a LPR friendly state.

Im currently in the academy for a state police agency on just a green card and i was 8th on the selection list out of 1500 applicants.... so it can be done!.

Just go out there and go for it.

good luck.... Pm if theres any questions.

Alaska can work in just about ANY department with just a Green Card
                • Alabama – Citizenship required by state law
                • Arkansas – Citizenship Required by state law
                • Arizona – Citizenship required by state law
                • California – Will take you on a green card provided you are eligible and have already applied for Citizenship
                • Colorado – Can work in MOST departments with just a green card, no POST type requirement for citizenship.
                • Connecticut – POST requirement for Certification
                • Washington DC – POST requirement for Citizenship
                • Delaware – No State requirement for citizenship, however I cannot find any department that doesn’t require it.
                • Florida – State law requires Citizenship
                • Georgia – POST requirement for Citizenship.
                • Hawaii – Can work in any department with just a green card
                • Iowa – ILEA (POST) requires citizenship.
                • Idaho – POST requires Citizenship
                • Illinois – No State requirement for Citizenship, SOME departments will take you on a green card (Incl. Chicago PD)
                • Indiana – POST type requirement for Citizenship
                • Kansas – State Law requirement for citizenship.
                • Kentucky – POST type requirement for Citizenship.
                • Louisiana – No state requirement for Citizenship, about 50% of departments will take you with just a green card.
                • Massachusetts – No state requirement for citizenship, several departments available that will hire with green card.
                • Maine – No state requirement for Citizenship, about 75% will take you (including state police) with just a green card and the state police academy doesn’t require citizenship.
                • Maryland – State law requires Citizenship
                • Minnesota – State POST requirement for citizenship.
                • Michigan – MCOLES (Post type thingy) requires Citizenship.
                • Mississippi – State Dept of Public Safety requires citizenship
                • Missouri – POST Requirement for Citizenship
                • Montana – POST requirements state that Quote “Must be a US citizen, but MAY be a lawful resident alien” whatever that means.
                • Nebraska – State law requires Citizenship.
                • Nevada – POST requirement for Citizenship.
                • New Hampshire – State requirement for Citizenship.
                • New Jersey – State requirement for Citizenship
                • New Mexico – State requires citizenship
                • New York – State requires Citizenship
                • North Carolina – POST requires Citizenship
                • North Dakota – POST requirements state that they will take you with just a green card – See the following link http://www.iadlest.org/ndakota/POSTS2.html
                • Ohio – No state or post requirement for citizenship, Spoke to several departments who stated over the phone that they would hire Green card holders.
                • Oklahoma – Will take you on a green card – see the following CLEET standards link - http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...?citeID=91596/
                • Oregon – Will take you on a green card – BUT you HAVE to attain Citizenship within 18 months else your certificate will be revoked.
                • Pennsylvania – Citizenship required by state
                • Rhode Island – Citizenship required but I cant find the legal basis behind the requirement.
                • South Carolina - Citizenship required but I cant find the legal basis behind the requirement.
                • South Dakota – Will take you on a Green card but you must “declare intent to become a naturalized citizen as soon as eligible”
                • Tennessee – State law requires citizenship
                • Texas – Recently changed law means that In order to be certified by the TCLEOSE (POST) agency you have to be a US citizen. Previously there was no Citizenship requirement.
                • Utah - State requirement for Citizenship
                • Vermont – no Citizenship Law - Will take Green card holders, Incl. the State Police
                • Virginia – POST requires US Citizenship – BUT will waive the Citizenship requirement if good reason is shown and such a waiver is filed on form “DCJS Form w-1 application of waiver for minimum qualifications” Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs have the authority to approve this application for waiver – as does the POST agency.
                • Washington – No legal requirement for citizenship, nor any POST type requirement, however I only found two small departments that will take you with a green card.
                • West Virginia – No state requirement for citizenship, several major departments will take you on a green card (incl the state police)
                • Wisconsin – Cannot find any information as per a state requirement for Citizenship. Most departments websites require it – however the State police DOES NOT.
                • Wyoming – Citizenship required by state law.
                • Washington DC – Citizenship required by state law.

This list is not meant to be completely exhaustive, the information may be subject to change and before enlisting in a CJ college etc you should check it yourself for accuracy.

I have completed it mostly by searching through the internet, speaking to some departments and some of it is concluded by personal knowledge.

Hopefully it will help some people know where to start looking should they find themselves in a similar situation as me.

Good luck!

Malcolm

P.S. – you may also want to check out this link below which goes to give more information on state by state citizenship requirements. However it is a study that was performed in 1998 and some of the information is outdated. The list above may be a truer reflection of current standards.

http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~haralds...itizenship.htm

Comment

Originally posted by AlexS
                  Hi,

All my life I wanted to be a cop, since i was 10, but here is a problem - I'm not a citizen of US. I'm a legal resident with working permit. Is there any way to get employed with LE?

Please help.

P.S. I live in NH.
                  Hello AlexS, I have a question how did you go about being a legal resident w/ a working permit? I'am married to an Illegal Immigrant. He has lived here in the U.S. for 14 years. The thing is is that he is deaf and alot of people during those 14 years apparently didn't help him. He only understands sign language and some english so it's hard for to get around when most people don't know sign language. I'am a legal citizen and we have a daughter. I talked w/ the immigration officers and they told me that he would have to go back to his country for 2 years or so and wait on his papers. I was wondering what kind of process you went through to get where you are at.
                  You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...you must do the thing you think you cannot do.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.

A great many people think they are thinking, when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7925 users online. 374 members and 7551 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X