300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Capitol Police

I was wondering if I could get opinions on this. I applied for the USCP about 3-4 years ago and did not get in. My Background investigator told me that I did not have a crim justice degree. I have a busines degree instead. I only took the written exam, no poly. They don't even ask for a degree! I have tried pot eight times. The last use was 1/98. I have used no other drugs and have no legal problems. I guess this did not help. Should I apply again? I have a top secret clearance now and am still really interested in this job. Thanks....

Do yourself a favor and stay clear of there. It is in a bad way now and is going to get worse. Trust me on this one. If FED is the route you want try other agencies. Again, I am being as honest with you as you're going to get. I have been there for 2 years. I am leaving now along with many others. I started looking for another job while I was in the academy. Good Luck! Take it for what you want.

Comment

thanks for the advice. Any reasons why you say that?

Comment

I was also thinking of applying to the capitol police, are there any specific reasons why furture applicants might want to stay clear of this agency?

Comment

Originally posted by manstown
          Do yourself a favor and stay clear of there. It is in a bad way now and is going to get worse. Trust me on this one. If FED is the route you want try other agencies. Again, I am being as honest with you as you're going to get. I have been there for 2 years. I am leaving now along with many others. I started looking for another job while I was in the academy. Good Luck! Take it for what you want.
          Can you be more specific? What are the cons?Just curious...I put in for PFPA myself.Still waiting for start date..

Comment

I am scheduled to travel to D.C. in October for my Physical, Poly and Psych tests.

I am also curious why CP is not a good place to work...

Patriot72

Comment

For every ofc who says his dept is the pits, there is one who would tell you the complete opposite. They enjoy the job. Take that for what its worth and dont base a career decision on a online forum/post etc. Go in there for yourself. Check the dept out and get some 1 on 1 face time with some Capital officers and at that point, decide for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe159
                For every ofc who says his dept is the pits, there is one who would tell you the complete opposite. They enjoy the job. Take that for what its worth and dont base a career decision on a online forum/post etc. Go in there for yourself. Check the dept out and get some 1 on 1 face time with some Capital officers and at that point, decide for yourself.
                You are absolutely right. Or if you have time, go up to one of the officers standing at a door and ask them yourself when you get here. There's a reason why we lose an average of 5-8 officers a pay period.

Comment

Let me first start by saying that if this is the route you want to take, by all means do so. I can tell you now that we were just told today that they are going to be hiring alot of officers this next year in preparation for the new visitors center at the Capitol. And I assure you if you get hired that's where you'll wind up.

Now just a few reasons why I say what I do. Again, take it as you may, but "face to face" time with the officers will get you the same responses as mine 7 out of 10 times.

To start off, in my division alone, we have about 30 officers leaving. Either by transfer or to other agencies. The job is a unique job where you get treated like crap from the officials, the Congressmen, and their staff. You will be a guard, not a cop. You will stand at a door and look threw bags and scan people. You will not be given the opportunity to go to one of the small amounts of specialty units, unless you know someone. They say its done fairly, and that's a lie. Most of what they say is.
                  The officials are horrible and will ruin any chance you have at a Federal career over the smallest of things. It is a good foot in the door for federal LE, but you have to walk a fine line and hope that you don't offend someone or arrest the wrong person because no one on the department will back you up. I know you may think that I sound disgruntled, but I am one of the more layed back guys you would ever meet. This place is a ticking time bomb. The Chief was forced out under a nepotism law because his son in law was on the job. The chief was the best part of the department. He wanted us to do LE work but Congress refused to hear of it. Then when they got rid of him they fired his son, which doesn't help with getting a new job, and withheld his last paycheck, and even had the gall to say he had to pay back the department all the money he made here because he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Just the other day a friend of mine was teaching women on the hill self defense classes. They wrote him up for it because they weren't informed that he was volunteering his time outside of the department. Then after they tried to write him up, they said that they wanted him to do the same thing for a community outreach program with the staff of the members, and that they couldn't pay him for it.
                  This is the department in a nut shell. Take it for what you want. But if you want to get into LE do it at a municipality level. You will get more experience and more opportunity then the Federal level.
                  Again, I am not trying to sway you in your decision, but I wish I had someone that would have been able to tell me what the department was really like.

Comment

Thanks manstown. My first experience with uscp was strange. I have a responsible job now doing background investigations for the government (contractor), ts clearance, college degree, and I got mid 90 on the written test, and I didn't even get to a polygraph or interview. I am confused. I really wonder what it takes to get a job there. oh well.

Comment

Like I said earlier, if it's the route you want to take, I don't want to hold you back. But this place could be a great department. It's just unfortunate that it's encompassed by politics. And for every officer that says they enjoy the job, there is 20 that says the opposite.

Comment

I'll chime in for this brief tid bit......... I have heard what Manstown has posted by him and others on the dept.

I will be done USCP's academy in Oct. I'm loving it right now although I am at the point I wanna be done with the academy life. I have 2 good friends on the dept. 1 going on 5 years and 1 going on 2 years. They both love it but also say there are many leaving for whatever reason. I have talked to many others on the force that love the job and some that don't. Too each their own I guess.

I'll look at it as the more that leave the easier to move into other things.

GL Manstown in wherever you are going but I suppose I'll see you soon at a door

Raven....If the backround you state is correct I can't see why you wouldn't apply if this is the route you wanna go
                        Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Attrition

I would be willing to bet that if candidates knew up front that most job functions are more security oriented than LE, there wouldnt be as many dissappointed people leaving....

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt107
                            I would be willing to bet that if candidates knew up front that most job functions are more security oriented than LE, there wouldnt be as many dissappointed people leaving....

If a candidate actually took time to research a dept. they would find this out. It's basic knowledge and to say you didn't know this is a retarded excuse IMO.

Only MPD and USPP made more arrests in DC then USCP which had over 2,200 arrests last year. That is a large amount arrests for their jurisdiction size.
                            Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Buts let look at the arrest. The majority of the arrest that we make are suspended or revoked drivers license. I would say 95%. We don't arrest for anything much more then that. So to think you are going to tackle and arrest a fleeing felon is not the deal. Our SWAT team can't even serve warrants because the Police Board won't allow the officers to even apply for one. I always say this and Many hold true to it. If you want to stand around and collect alot of money, this is for you. If you want to make arrest and be apart of action this is not the place for you. There was a guy that was written up a few weeks back for stopping a car that ran a red light. He was in a marked car and it was around midnight. That would lead many people to believe maybe the driver had a few drinks. Well after the stop he was written up by a Sgt.

Chiller....Good Luck. The CVC will be opening soon and that is where the new people are going. So when you get there put in for a short. FRU is a good division, try to get there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4244 users online. 285 members and 3959 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X