Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nextrunnerup
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2015

Are CBP officers now considered actual law enforcement and get the same retirement benefits and health benefits lol. I know before 2008 CBP wasn’t looked at as LE officers. Right? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Comment

• Nextrunnerup
      Nextrunnerup commented
      Editing a comment
      merlin436 thanks man. Yeah I’ve done prior research and I was looking it up again. I guess I was just getting confused as to if we would be covered under LE retirement and be subject to the same benefits. It looks like we are now. I mean. Lol. I can care less if someone tells me I’m not a LE officer as long as I can do my job, work my way up the ranks, support the mission, and get the retirement benefits we deserve like other LE or firefighters.

So I’m guessing it’s still 37 to 57. I know they moved up the minimum age to 40 years old. I just wasn’t sure if it went to 40 - 60.

Before it was 1% of your high 3 x 20 years of service. But now I assume it’s 1.7%. Correct me if I’m wrong merlin436. My bad to be annoying. Just getting a little confused about the specifics. Thanks man.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Double post...
      Last edited by merlin436; 05-10-2019, 10:09 PM.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's currently age 40 entrance maximum with 20 year retirement. Prior military pretty much can come in at any age and work the full 20 years until retirement. Those who enter prior to age 37 face mandatory retirement at age 57. Unless they're hires prior to 2008...they face no mandated retirement.

1.7% each year for 20 covered years. Any years at 1%.

High three in salary. Up to 50% of the salary cap in overtime earnings counts towards retirement. No other differentials or holiday pay count towards high three calculations.

• Nextrunnerup
      Nextrunnerup commented
      Editing a comment
      merlin436 thank you for all the insight sir! Greatly appreciated for real.
  • JStyleszx
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2018

I constantly reread this thread over & over. Super old posts to recent posts. Lololol. Im attached

Comment

• Staerr
      Staerr commented
      Editing a comment
      JStyleszx I haven’t read from the start but I think I went back to like 2017 and read from there. It’s just interesting and exciting while we wait lol

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of the older posts have lost some of their relevance since there have been some significant changes that have happened over the years.

Nevertheless, the history on this board is a decent archive. Much of present CBP is structured by influences from years, even decades ago. Some things even go back to the 1950s and before. If you don't have a working grasp on the history of the "whys"... you really won't fully understand the nature of present and recent past.
  • JStyleszx
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2018

Im JFK 19-3 . 25% in. Anybody in the same range as me in announcement & live in the NYC area should message me & we can make some form of group chat . Lmk!

Comment

• Scrappydoo
      Scrappydoo commented
      Editing a comment
      Hal29 they offered me El Paso for BP

• fonzi7979
      fonzi7979 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was there at 25% I’m in 19-2 announcement it’s normal once you complete fitness an SI then it will update to 50%. I am waiting for my Polygraph appointment.

• Ilee25
      Ilee25 commented
      Editing a comment
      Im sitting at 25% ...got my fitness completed as well as my SI. Still waiting on my eqip and medical to clear....also waiting on a date to take the Poly. Applied Sept of last year

• nickg317
      nickg317 commented
      Editing a comment
      im in a group chat on WhatsApp with a couple of other 19-3 guys for JFK, message me if youre interested in joining
  • Wendygx
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2019

For those of you who have gotten "the call". How long after meeting with your BI did it take for you to receive "the call"?

Comment

• Scrappydoo
      Scrappydoo commented
      Editing a comment
      5 months for me

• raudy06
      raudy06 commented
      Editing a comment
      first your background has to get adjudicated (anywhere from 2 months to a year i have heard) then you have to take drug test, and then wait for the TSU(Training & Scheduling unit) email; they give you "The Call" when a spot on an academy class is available.

• Wendygx
      Wendygx commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it! My BI confused me a bit. Thank you for clarifying.

• raudy06
      raudy06 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wendygx you got it.
  • Thinkmango
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2019

SI on Wednesday, hopefully I don't get too nervous.

Comment

• corsair
      corsair commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't overthink it - It was much easier than I thought. After I finished it, I was like wtf was I so nervous for.

• fonzi7979
      fonzi7979 commented
      Editing a comment
      You will be fine don’t over think it.
  • s4mr
    Forum Member
    • May 2019

Applied originally to CBP DH 18-5, declared unsuitable with no explanation, reapplied to CBP DH 18-10, CBP NH 19-1, BPA DH 18-13. Over the last few days i’ve gotten “the call” from both agencies offering only SWB locations. Yesterday finally received a NH offer, chose JFK EOD 8/12 - Academy 8/27 to 1/9.

Took a whole damn year but hey!

Comment

• s4mr
      s4mr commented
      Editing a comment
      I was declared unsuitable before the BI even began and didn't get an actual "answer" when i asked why i was unsuitable, when i reapplied i fixed my resume a bit and double checked my equip before i sent my application in.

• DMC1988
      DMC1988 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait, u were unsuitable without a BI, but they called after you applied the second time and offered you a job, without having a BI done?

• s4mr
      s4mr commented
      Editing a comment
      I had the BI done the second time and everything went smooth sailing after that.

• fonzi7979
      fonzi7979 commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats to you one whole year from start to finish with the hiring process is not bad at all. There are many other applicants still waiting on Polygraph over a year or two so be thankful you have been selected. If I can complete it within a year I will be very happy. Good luck and God Bless
  • MrAce
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2018

Where all the 18-9s at?

Comment

• fonzi7979
      fonzi7979 commented
      Editing a comment
      @18-8 &18-9 announcement how long has your wait been since your SI. It seems like the polygraph appointments are either immediately or it can be a long wait. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

• MrAce
      MrAce commented
      Editing a comment
      Currently waiting for Polly call. Had my SI in August

• nhb_zoey
      nhb_zoey commented
      Editing a comment
      18-9 waiting since July 2018, resubmitted equip January 2019. Applied as Regular announcement 19-4 Im at 50% for both, still waiting for poly

• Steve40
      Steve40 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had my SI right at the end of July. I was held up in "Nurse review" for quite some time but finally cleared that hurdle last month.
  • JS513
    Forum Member
    • May 2019

Hey everyone!

Does anyone know what the overtime opportunities are like at the New Orleans field office? I saw a PDF from CBP that had a recap of overtime budgets from 2014-2016 and New Orleans appeared to have the least amount of funding.

Comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      NO Field Office staffing is several times smaller than most FOs. About 10X smaller than NY.

It stands to reason that their overall overtime budget is comparably smaller.

Having said that I don't know what their overtime situation is. Like most FOs off the southern land border pretty much lacking many major airports, seaports and other influential and significant ports...I imagine their overtime totals are more to the average than high earning.

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      If working overtime is your thing, your best bet is a major southern border land port(SYS, Laredo, etc.). Followed by most of the other southern border ports and the major airports/seaports(JFK, LAX, Long Beach, Miami, etc.).

In much of the rest there's simply not "lots" of overtime...especially if you've drank the recruitment Koolaid and have delusions of an easily obtainable 45K cap and plentiful overtime opportunities.

• JS513
      JS513 commented
      Editing a comment
      Really appreciate the insight! Thanks!
  • fonzi7979
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2019

Anyone from announcement 19-2 for JFK. I am curious if anyone received an email or call for the polygraph appointment. I know they say that it will be a long wait but maybe some cancellations from previous announcements may have us next in line.

Comment

• Mreurodance
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2018

How does one select a port without actually being hired yet? Mine says negotiable after selection. Does it mean you can select (JFK for example) if you get the offer? Or one gets assigned to you based on need? Or one need to select location when signing up on the usajobs website / login! Thanks for your replies!

Comment

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        You selected your preference on start of your application once you get the call it becomes negotiable if your announcement had many ports or locations as long as there is an opening. Never hurts to ask when you get to that point of the process from my understanding.

• Camelbak
        Camelbak commented
        Editing a comment
        When you get the call, they'll have a list of ports to select. If there is a certain one you want, but it's not on the list, you can request it. They'll call that port to see if there are openings. If there are openings they'll generally work with you, so you can get it. If not, select one of the listed ones or decline the offer.

• Hopejoy
        Hopejoy commented
        Editing a comment
        Can they let you wait for the location you selected or do you have to select one from the list?
    • JDalhoff
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2018

Any classmates on here going to be at the academy Sept.17-Jan 31st?

Comment

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats JDalhoff which announcement are you in. I am just curious I hope it was not a long wait for you too.

• JDalhoff
        JDalhoff commented
        Editing a comment
        17-10 it took awhile.
    • Swsports22
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2016

Has anyone got the call for the drug test before hearing from your background investigator? I’m scheduled to take my drug test tomorrow and haven’t been contacted my investigator yet. Could be bc I already have secret clearance and they’re using that background investigation?

Comment

• Gdelgado0220
        Gdelgado0220 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have as well with a couple other of my coworkers. We all came in under provisional though. We only have public trust clearance so I don’t think it has anything to do with your prior clearance

• Swsports22
        Swsports22 commented
        Editing a comment
        I stand corrected. Went back and looked at my application. I did choose provisional. Thanks for the responses

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        Swsports22 what announcement are you in and do you remember signing a provisional or just checked it off on your application.

• maplehead
        maplehead commented
        Editing a comment
        I took my drug test about two weeks after passing my poly but before getting scheduled for my BI. I think it may have to do with the provisional clearance, which I chose.
    • aternal
      Forum Member
      • May 2019

Got call from Border Patrol with job offer, but I already decided to go for CBPO and I'm waiting for their call now. Feels crazy to decline BP offer, but I didn't want to accept and later leave the BP academy to accept CBPO because I know it's what I'd rather do. Hope the wait for the call for CBPO isn't too long.

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        @hopejoy...MHC would close out the BP application, since the job was offered and accepted. The OFO application would continue until either by some action or inaction the applicant closed it...or the odd chance that MHC never made a final offer.
        Last edited by merlin436; 05-14-2019, 12:40 PM.

• Scrappydoo
        Scrappydoo commented
        Editing a comment
        I got the call for BP the same day as CBP. I just told
        BP I wanted CBP but I'll accept their offer until I hear from CBP and the gentleman from BP forwarded my info to CBP... which I guess led them to call me quicker since i advised i wanted CBP

• Hopejoy
        Hopejoy commented
        Editing a comment
        Scrappydoo, how much time did they give you to make your decision?

• Scrappydoo
        Scrappydoo commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopejoy I knew what I wanted so when they called I told them before they named all of what they were offering. BP did call me the next day to confirm I took the CBP offer with their offer still on the table.
    • chipperjones
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2014

Question for you guys...if someone gets hired at 38 years old, with no prior fed LEO experience and no military, can they later switch to like the DEA or FBI? I know the cut off for them is 37, I was just curious if it adds any time, or its a hard "no, you are stuck with CBP" as far as federal LEO goes.

Comment

• fonzi7979
        fonzi7979 commented
        Editing a comment
        You pretty much answered your own question but sometimes the strangest things happen within agencies. My advice or suggestion is to complete the hiring process and take it from there.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        To hire on at 38 the agency essentially gives you an age waiver. Any agency you'd be jumping to would have to honor that waiver.

• ROBYM88
        ROBYM88 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you hire on with CBP after 38, FBI will not hire you because their cut off is 37.

• MMatthews
        MMatthews commented
        Editing a comment
        If you came in with an age wavier then your good to go 37 is the cut off for people who don’t qualify for an age wavier.
    • JimmyW777
      Forum Member
      • May 2019

Who is still at 63% on the CASS app? It looks like I have to clear my background investigation to get a drug test. I hope my case is in adjudication because its been forever to move on from the next. Checking the app and see it in progress is no fun and hoping it turn green soon! Well goodluck to everyone!

Comment

• corsair
        corsair commented
        Editing a comment
        Do whats bests for you danny

• Hopejoy
        Hopejoy commented
        Editing a comment
        BPA 18-11 and CBPO 19-1, waiting at 63% and met bi late Nov. Still waiting patient.

• JimmyW777
        JimmyW777 commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel ya hopejoy waiting patiently I last met my BI in December 2018 so i hope its near complete I have 2 applications running GS-7 and GS-9 for VRA CBPO.

• Hal29
        Hal29 commented
        Editing a comment
        Im still waiting for my poly to transfer over. Case manager said It transfers automatically but i applied in April. How long does it usually take?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18040 users online. 31 members and 18009 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...