Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keifehr
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2013

Hello Everyone, Hope you guys having a good Christmas holiday.
    So, i just got a call for my POLY appt but I havent met with my BI yet. Also, in CASS BI still under review and Drug test has been "Scheduling in progress" for couple of months now. but still no appointment.
    Any idea on why my POLY goes first prior to meeting with my BI? just curious about it

Comment

• Steph631_
      Steph631_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Polygraph is always first. If you pass that then you meet with the BI. The polygraph is part of the BI. On my Experience the drug test is always “scheduling in progress” that way you don’t know when it will happen.

• jonesy_k
      jonesy_k commented
      Editing a comment
      The drug test is usually the very last thing to be scheduled outside of the interview with your BI. Your BI is being conducted by several people (the poly examiner being one of many) that report to one case manager that reviews your file, from my understanding. The poly is just one part of the BI like the above commenter said. For me, it went like this: poly --> drug test --> job offer (provisional clearance) --> BI interview --> pft2
      Last edited by jonesy_k; 12-24-2017, 04:55 AM.

• keifehr
      keifehr commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you guys for your response. At least jhave an idea on what might happen next.

• ThGreatFandango
      ThGreatFandango commented
      Editing a comment
      Speaking of Drug Test... I did a urinalysis when I did my medical exam. Did that one not count/do I have to do another one? For me its gone: [EQIP> Medical Exam > PFT1 > SI > ? ]
      Last edited by ThGreatFandango; 12-26-2017, 02:41 AM.
  • Steph631_
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2014

Has anyone had issues with points on their license and being questioned or it disqualifying you?

Comment

• boconnor
      boconnor commented
      Editing a comment
      Does she have any other violations? Accidents?

• Steph631_
      Steph631_ commented
      Editing a comment
      boconnor she has no other accidents or violations. It’s her first ever.

• boconnor
      boconnor commented
      Editing a comment
      So then she may want to just pay it. If she's got others on her record then it's worth fighting

• Steph631_
      Steph631_ commented
      Editing a comment
      boconnor yes she ended up paying it. Now is looking into a defensive driving course. Most wont deduct the points unless they are on the license already. So she said going to give it a few for the points to post onto her license I guess I couldn’t help with that lol.
  • FTO Sammich
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2017

So my BI called me late Wednesday evening and wanted to meet me at work the next day. He said he just needed to do 5 interviews. Said he got my case on Tuesday, called me Wednesday to schedule, met on Thursday, and said he would have his report submitted on Friday. He was drove a long way and was in the same area as most of my references but didn’t contact any. Seemed kind of unusual to not contact people while they were in the area. Is this typical?
    17-7 Announcement GS-5

4/10/17 - Applied
    5/10/17 - Exam
    5/19/17 - Exam NOR
    5/31/17 - Selection Letter - Jackman, Maine
    6/01/17 - eQIP packet submitted
    7/05/17 - Medical Exam
    7/05/17 - eQIP rejected - resubmitted same day
    7/26/17 - PFT 1
    8/02/17 - eQIP released to OPR
    8/25/17 - SI
    8/26/17 - SI NOR
    11/29/17 - Polygraph
    12/06/17 - Polygraph NOR
    12/21/17 - BI Interview
    2/28/18 - Background Cleared

3/14/18 - Drug Test
    3/22/18 - Referred to TSU
    5/23/18 - The Call

Comment

• FTO Sammich
      FTO Sammich commented
      Editing a comment
      17-7 Announcement

04/10/17 - Applied
      05/10/17 - Exam
      05/19/17 - Exam NOR
      05/31/17 - Selection Letter - Jackman, Maine
      06/01/17 - eQIP packet submitted
      07/05/17 - Medical Exam
      07/05/17 - eQIP rejected - resubmitted same day
      07/26/17 - PFT 1
      08/02/17 - eQIP released to OPR
      08/25/17 - SI
      08/26/17 - SI NOR
      11/29/17 - Polygraph
      12/06/17 - Polygraph NOR - Pre-Field Investigation eQIP recertification - recertified and released to OPR.
      12/21/17 - BI Interview

• GD1R90
      GD1R90 commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate that, thanks.

• EnforceTheLawBro
      EnforceTheLawBro commented
      Editing a comment
      What area are you from? Also, did he tell you you that you cleared your Bi? I’m meeting with my BI on January second and it seems like he wants to go through the process quick, but unfortunately I couldn’t set up the date any sooner.

• FTO Sammich
      FTO Sammich commented
      Editing a comment
      WV. No, just have to wait for CASS to show pass or fail. That’s the worse part.
  • lil-secrecy
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2016

Merry Christmas everyone.
    My eQIP got kicked back to me + my medical needs "further evaluation".
    I've updated my signature to reflect these changes.

I also applied to 18-3 VRA
    18-1:

11/08/17 Referral email
    11/13/17 eQIP package submitted
    11/21/17 Medical exam done.
    12/07/17 Fitness exam done, passed.
    12/13/17 Medical updated: Further eval...
    01/12/18 Credit Report pulled
    01/16/18 eQIP re-released to OPR
    01/23/18 SI scheduled.
    02/14/18 SI interview
    02/16/18 NOR SI: Passed
    03/13/18 Med-review team sent me forms
    05/17/18 Med review received all doc's
    09/07/18 Application withdrawn
    03/17/19 EOD (same agency, different job)

Comment

• Elgin_87
      Elgin_87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Same thing I did lil-secrecy I applied for 18-1 reapplied for 18-3 which closes on the 31st. I wanted to change my location due to the housing market and living areas. 12-18-17 passed medical exam was my last update. Also completed medical exam too.

Why do you think they kicked you medical exam out? and what's VRA?

• lil-secrecy
      lil-secrecy commented
      Editing a comment
      I wroke my left wrist in 2013. I'm a lefty, too.
      I'm sure it's natural to ask follow-up question given the firearm proficiency requirement.

VRA = Veterans Recruitment Act
      It's a special hiring authority that gives preference to Veterans who recently separated.
      It's an excepted appointment for the first 2 years w/ a conversion to the competitive service afterward.
  • Checkmate
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2016

Just got a tentative offer e-mail for the 18-2 announcement, VRA/GS9.

I'm currently a GS12 with CBP in the Office of Air and Marine, CBP. I currently hold a Secret/SSBI clearance so going to try to circumvent a new BI and the poly if able. Hoping to get to San Ysidro, Nogales, Tucson or Phoenix.

A co-worker of mine went through the hiring process for OFO recently and said it was about 6 weeks from tenative offer to location offer. We'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by Checkmate; 12-27-2017, 11:24 AM.
    USMS Schedule B 2020

Oct20 Info Session
    Dec20 Notice of Invitation to Apply
    Dec20 Applied/Written Assessment
    Jan21 Referred for GL-5
    Mar21 Interviewed (PASS)
    Mar21 TOL Received
    Jun21 Medical Accomplished (delay due to COVID vaccine)
    Aug21 Background Investigation reciprocated
    Feb22 Request for additional medical info
    Mar22 Medical Cleared
    Jun22 FIT (PASS)

Comment

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just throwing this out in case there's a new applicant out there who's thinking that making 30K a year in overtime is typical in every port, everywhere...it's not. Most ports will not support overtime at that level.

• lil-secrecy
      lil-secrecy commented
      Editing a comment
      merlin436 good that you mention it. CBP sure pads the promotion and overtime earnings in the usajobs announcement it can be misleading. Some people will think: OMG!! SFO @ 38% locality w/ same # of hours for overtime!? SIGN ME UP!

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      lil-secrecy, San Francisco is actually a large, significant port with a decent overtime budget.

Yup. There is much padding, especially outside the major, largest ports and those ports not on the southern border.

It's the poor sap thinking of a "guaranteed" 45K premium cap who puts in for a small/mid-sized port, especially along the northern border. Dude gets to his new job only to find that his port never supported the inflated numbers...or those numbers are only supported through being markedly short-staffed, which now that they hired a bunch of new people, well, it's not understaffed anymore. Bye-bye most overtime!

• dalie_utcc
      dalie_utcc commented
      Editing a comment
      merlin436 Can I PM you for some info about SFO? Thank you so much.
  • Checkmate
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2016

Quick question for those who went through the medical exam. How much do they scrutinize injuries? I have a lower back issue that doesn't prevent me from running, grappling, or lifting weights. The only things I can't do are heavy deadlifts or squats. I can pass the PT test with 90%+ score and no calisthenics are an issue.

USMS Schedule B 2020

Oct20 Info Session
    Dec20 Notice of Invitation to Apply
    Dec20 Applied/Written Assessment
    Jan21 Referred for GL-5
    Mar21 Interviewed (PASS)
    Mar21 TOL Received
    Jun21 Medical Accomplished (delay due to COVID vaccine)
    Aug21 Background Investigation reciprocated
    Feb22 Request for additional medical info
    Mar22 Medical Cleared
    Jun22 FIT (PASS)

Comment

• lil-secrecy
      lil-secrecy commented
      Editing a comment
      A two-part answer. The first medical exam seems like it's always contracted out and performed by a third-party WHOM ALSO got contracted out by DHS. It will be up to that reviewing physician that sees you to scrutinize much or little. It seems their job is to simply "note" the injury.

In my case it was a broken bone from 5 years ago while I was active duty - I have enough paperwork on that injury to drown any MD. However, the physician that looked at me didn't ask for anything nor spend much time on that injury.

DHS/CBP --> 1st third-party --> 2nd third-party (physician) & then in reverse...
      physician --> 1st third-party --> back to DHS

Since DHS has the final say in medical suitability, expect to be sent for further review out of pocket.
      Once DHS notes your past injury I'm sure they will send you for a follow-up with a combination of forms your own physician will have to review/sign/complete likely under penalty of perjury. Just my 2 cents.
      Last edited by lil-secrecy; 12-27-2017, 12:04 PM.

• Checkmate
      Checkmate commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your comment. How long did that add to your hiring timeline, if you know?

• lil-secrecy
      lil-secrecy commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I'm currently competing for 18-1 and 18-3 VRA. I won't be able to say yet how my injury affected ~ considering the VA has all the paperwork + I was restored to full duty and deployed afterward it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Of course, first I have to get a human to listen to this and read the paperwork.
      I'm hoping they (CBP or the contractor) will follow-up with me on the next steps to get it all cleared up.
  • Moose225
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2016

Applied for 18-2, passed the written test, just got my email to schedule medical and got my TSL. Im sort of unsure if the job is going to be worth the switch, coming from being a local LEO, but Im planning on riding the process out and then making the decision after its all said and done.

Random Question: Does anyone know if the GS pay scale listed is accurate as far as locality pay goes? The GS-7 level for the Boston locality area showed it being $44,810k which is insanely low given the cost of living. Am I missing anything there, or is that just how it goes?
    Last edited by Moose225; 12-28-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• lil-secrecy
      lil-secrecy commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't blindly trust the announcement. It's better to go to the source:
      Effective 2018:

GS-7 step 1 base pay is $35,854 [source1] +
      27.48% locality pay adjustment for BOSON/WORCESTER/PROVIDENCE, etc =

$45,707 for GS-7 step 1. [source2]

However, there's also the Law Enforcement Officer pay, adjusted:
      $51,800 for GS-7 step 1 @ Boston, etc [source3]

source1 - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...df/2018/GS.pdf
      source2 - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...f/2018/BOS.pdf
      source3 - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...OS%20(LEO).pdf

• Capt_Falco
      Capt_Falco commented
      Editing a comment
      CBP stays on the GS scale, BP is on GL but after grade 10 it evens out anyways. I would think you should be able to qualify for the gs9 start on the leo announcement if you’re currently a local leo. If you can get in as a 9 after 2 years you’ll be a 12 at 81k base pay

• merlin436
      merlin436 commented
      Editing a comment
      After roughly the first year when post-academy training finishes, there may be shift differentials and overtime that may bump up base pay totals.
  • AbsolLysol
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2017

Hello guys, I wanted to post my timeline here and see if anyone in my announcement is in the same boat as I. I feel like my process has been unusually slow, however it was incredibly fast at first. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the holidays, or if something is wrong. My background is clear and I have no medical issues or anything that might jeopardize my process.

17-11 Announcement

09/21/17 - Entrance Examination
    10/05/17 - NOR's
    10/25/17 - Tentative Selection Letter
    10/26/17 - BI Packet (eQIP registration code)
    11/02/17 - Medical Screening
    11/05/17 - BI Packet and forms submitted
    11/10/17 - PFT1
    11/21/17 - Medical and Fitness updated to passed on app

Still nothing on my background check, poly, or SI. Anyone have any input?

Comment

• LEGENDARY
      LEGENDARY commented
      Editing a comment
      17-11 here as well.

I have completed my SI, currently awaiting to schedule my poly and drug test. Also waiting for the completion of my background.

• Jarymoly
      Jarymoly commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my timeline. Give them some time for the Holidays .

9/10/17 Applied announcement 17-11 Direct Hire

9/21/17 Applied announcement 17-11
      9/29/17 Entrance Exam
      10/25/17 Letter Vacancy for both applications
      10/26/17 e-QIP submitted
      10/30/17 Medical exam completed, waiting to clear
      11/14/17 Fitness test passed
      11/17/17 e-QIP released to OPR
      11/28/17 e-QIP rejected
      11/29/17 e-QIP released to OPR
      12/15/17 SI completed
      12/19/17 SI passed
      Poly- PENDING
      Drug Test- Scheduling in Progress
      Background Check- In Process
  • Jax09
    announcement 17-9
    • Oct 2017

****DIRECT HIRE*****

WONDERING HOW LONG FROM TAKING THE POLYGRAPH DOES IT TAKE FOR THE BACKGROUND TO BE DONE?
      • 07/31/17 APPLIED DIRECT HIRE
      • 09/03/17 e-QIP submitted
        09/08/17 Medical exam completed
        09/14/17 Fitness test completed
      • 10/05/17 e-QIP released to OPR
        10/25/17 SI completed
        10/26/17 SI passed
        12/21/17 Poly- COMPLETED (PASSED AS PER POLYGRAPHER)
        Drug Test- Scheduling in Progress
        Background Check- In Process

Comment

• EnforceTheLawBro
      EnforceTheLawBro commented
      Editing a comment
      I passed my polygraph on October 27,2017. (As per polygrapher) and I heard from my BI on December 22, 2017. I am meeting with him on January 2, 2018. I’ve seen people get their BI’s done in 2 weeks and I’ve seen several months. My opinion is that it will vary on your previous jobs (if you have had a lot in a short period of time), previous residencies (if you have moved a lot) and on your BI.
  • GNg
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2017

SI at SFO in a week from today. Should I be prepared to answer lots of questions describing my personal experience? I might have forgot most of the details of what have happened. Assuming almost to all applicant passed this phase, I am still quite nervous however.
    17-10 CBPO Timeline SFO GS-5/7
    08/28/17 - Announcement Applied
    09/01/17 - Entrance Exam
    09/21/17 - NOR
    10/04/17 - Tentative Selection letter
    10/15/17 - e-QIP submitted
    10/23/17 - Medical Exam
    10/30/17 - Fitness Test
    11/05/17 - Fitness - Passed
    11/2x/17 - Medical - Passed
    12/18/17 - e-QIP forms missing and resubmitted
    12/22/17 - e-QIP released
    01/05/18 - SI - @SFO
    01/06/18 - SI - Passed
    2/08/17 - Polygraph @San Jose -
    B I - Pending
    Drug Test - Pending

Comment

• superquagdingo
      superquagdingo commented
      Editing a comment
      Everyone who takes the SI signs an NDA so no one can discuss the content or questions. Just treat it like any other interview and plan accordingly, be confident, and answer thoughtfully. Its better to pause and then say something that makes sense than to just say anything you can to fill space. It was the shortest interview Ive ever done and the majority of people pass it. Good luck.
  • superquagdingo
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2017

So Im curious, does anybody know if OFO does any bit more of the background investigation with a failed poly result? Like depending on the part failed do they do some of the background check to see if the applicant is worth pursuing further and give them a pass on the poly? Like if you fail a question that was say were you ever arrested before and you said no. Then, they run a more thorough check and if they cant find arrest records anywhere give a pass? Just an example but I think that would make sense. However, making sense is probably why they dont do that.

Comment

• BG12345
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2010

Can anyone comment on how often new CBPO's are required/expected to work overtime? I am considering the Calexico/San Ysidro POE. I previously worked corrections where we were required to work 16 hours of overtime every pay period (2 week), which I mostly volunteered shiftts for. I don't mind overtime at all but wasn't sure if there was a policy in place in terms of max overtime per week so people don't get burned out so quick

Comment

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        San Ysidro is probably the most overtime active port in CBP. Calexico places up there towards the top. Expect to work plenty of overtime at either.

There's a 45K premium pay cap. That includes shift differentials, Sunday differential, holiday pay and overtime.
        For most people that will be a rigid to semi-rigid cap.

There are additional overtime protections and regulations, especially for non-volunteers. Off the top of my head, I can't list any...too much overtime and excessively forced overtime isn't a problem of mine, so I pay minimal attention to such things.

• BG12345
        BG12345 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for that insight. Are the duty stations you pick in the initial process firm? Or can you change them once you get closer to the final offer? Debating with San Ysidro or Calexico but noticed they took the hiring incentive off for San Ysidro in the new CBPO January announcement

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        Extended recent history would have people more less locked into their original choices, outside of reapplying to different announcements. Although, a many recent announcements have ran largely counter to the "old way" of doing things.

If it's important to you, then ask hiring. Have hiring tell you, one way or another. If you applied under a previous announcement that offered an incentive, I imagine they still are honoring the incentive for those applicants...at least to the extent that they plan on honoring any of those incentives. If you've noticed they were all posted as subject to available funding...not exactly a major endorsement by CBP to the commitment of funding 100% of those incentives.

• Jarymoly
        Jarymoly commented
        Editing a comment
        For the borders you gotta do 16hrs at least 3 days a week...
    • county25
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2014

Happy New Year, all!

So, I find the new CBPO job postings interesting. Both say:

" Location

Many vacancies in the following location:
      • Location Negotiable After Selection, United States "
      None of them list potential POE. I applied 17-8 for Blaine and I was called the other day to schedule my poly which won't be until early February by a CBP special agent. I had my interview early September. The agent said they are incredibly backlogged and many locations can no longer do polygraphs due to retirements and other staffing problems. I don't get my polygraph location I picked on my application and I now have to drive 6 hours to Chicago instead of a few hours to Detroit/Indy.

Comment

• Jarymoly
        Jarymoly commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy New Year!!!

Wow that's a long period from Sept to Feb, hope mine doesn't take that much time.

Good luck with your poly!!!

• county25
        county25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!
    • FTO Sammich
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2017

So the eQIP box changed this morning to “Your eQIP is being reviewed by HRM staff. You will receive notification of next steps”. Does anyone know if this is a good thing? I sure hope so.

17-7 Announcement GS-5

4/10/17 - Applied
      5/10/17 - Exam
      5/19/17 - Exam NOR
      5/31/17 - Selection Letter - Jackman, Maine
      6/01/17 - eQIP packet submitted
      7/05/17 - Medical Exam
      7/05/17 - eQIP rejected - resubmitted same day
      7/26/17 - PFT 1
      8/02/17 - eQIP released to OPR
      8/25/17 - SI
      8/26/17 - SI NOR
      11/29/17 - Polygraph
      12/06/17 - Polygraph NOR
      12/21/17 - BI Interview
      2/28/18 - Background Cleared

3/14/18 - Drug Test
      3/22/18 - Referred to TSU
      5/23/18 - The Call

Comment

• FTO Sammich
        FTO Sammich commented
        Editing a comment
        I sure hope so. I haven't taken the drug test yet. Just sitting around hoping and praying my background clears.

• JAK060813
        JAK060813 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good Luck! What announcement are you? If anything this has taught me patience. Checking my status and waiting for the call every day

• FTO Sammich
        FTO Sammich commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank You. I have been very patient up until now. Starting to get very anxious. 17-7 Jackman, ME
        Last edited by FTO Sammich; 01-04-2018, 09:42 AM.

• JAK060813
        JAK060813 commented
        Editing a comment
        Because we are closing in on the finish line! I am 17-6 SYS
    • Pmgrad08
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2017

In regards to Medical I also had a back injury and had surgery for it in 2015; I went for my medical in August and I am still waiting for a clearance so it will be awhile for those wondering...They asked for additional paperwork; my surgeon and primary cleared me been waiting since October to hear something back from Customs on this matter...nothing yet...STILL SHOWS pending review in the system. The hiring process was really fast for me in the beginning but has slowed down to a snail crawl...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12181 users online. 75 members and 12106 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...