Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • locketgirl
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2017

Can anyone tell me how long you waited after getting your NORs for the next step and what exactly that step was for you?
    Last edited by locketgirl; 08-31-2017, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• fathitman
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2016

Well accepted my offer for the end of September. Tried to get a two month date but they said they only will do one month in advance. I don't know if that is because the fiscal year is about to end and they just want to get people on before a shutdown if it happens. If it does you get furloughed as a trainee?

Does anyone know if we get our creds before GLYNCO?

Going to be a time crunch for me to move and get my DL for the new state and whatnot.
      Last edited by fathitman; 08-29-2017, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Casper_Talon
        Casper_Talon commented
        Editing a comment
        fathitman congrats on getting the job! So they give a 1 month time period for the move from east to west? Hope you can get all in order on time sir. Do CBPO get paid a regular salary while on the 30-day port training and academy? Or is the "pay" considered the housing and meals at the academy?

• 3nf0rc3r
        3nf0rc3r commented
        Editing a comment
        Casper_Talon IIRC from what they said at the Structured interview, you're on the government payroll as soon as you check in at your duty station for paperwork prior to being shipped to Artesia NM for the academy

• Casper_Talon
        Casper_Talon commented
        Editing a comment
        Isn't Artesia NM the academy for BPA?
        Ok so we get paid regularly, just making sure I will have an income for payment of vehicle/insurance/debts. Really looking forward to employment with CBP.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll draw salary from the first minute of day one at pre-academy.

Artesia, NM is the location for the Border Patrol Academy. The CBPO academy is located outside of Brunswick, GA.
    • jonfanlo
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2017

How long does the DQ letter usually get sent out after the polygraph?

Comment

• HopefulBP
        HopefulBP commented
        Editing a comment
        You'll probably see the email in about 3 to 4 weeks. Keep your head up man......
    • jonesy_k
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2017

I found this series on youtube that documents some day to day operations of CBP, BPA, ICE, and everything in between. They feature various locations and ports of entry. It's pretty interesting and can maybe give you some insight on what to expect when we start working. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQeONhjzFbk

Comment

• Casper_Talon
        Casper_Talon commented
        Editing a comment
        I watched the Netflix series of Border protection frontline. Really nice too! They have of US, Canada and Australia.

• merlin436
        merlin436 commented
        Editing a comment
        There's more than a bit of "Hollywood" there. It's clear that much was cherrypicked and played up for the cameras. They're also not showing the routine, the monotonous 95% part of day that doesn't make for good video fodder.

It's also noticeable that the focus is exclusively on large/major ports like JFK/San Ysidro/Blaine/etc. There's no representation of the 85% of all ports which are not huge/significant operations.

• juniorspades
        juniorspades commented
        Editing a comment
        I was on one of the episodes of Border Security: America's Front Line and I can confirm exactly what Merlin is saying. They made us re-enact it and made it like the supervisor found the drugs
    • Terminal_Island
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2017

Good Afternoon gentleman, any one on here from the 17-2 announcement. I Have basically completed and passed every step except my medical. I had to get a second consultation from a private doctor because I marked on the initial sheet that I've experienced anxiety. I informed them I have never been treated by any Psych or taken medication. The disclosure was simply based on my work experience in highly stressful situations. ( Military and Corrections). Anyone here in a similar situation?

I also just completed my UA 2 weeks ago and cleared it yesterday.
      Medical Review officer has the medical packet.
      Anyone know how long Review Officer takes for a determination?
      Last edited by Terminal_Island; 08-30-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• MoodMuzik
        MoodMuzik commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a problem with my medical as well. I took my eye test in April but they didn't tell me until July that I failed. So I had to go see my optometrist and had him fill out a form saying I don't have a serious eye problem, I just need contact lenses. Once I sent the form in it took a little over two weeks for it to clear.

• 3nf0rc3r
        3nf0rc3r commented
        Editing a comment
        I listed that I had routine headaches (need to get a doctor's note for that) and the eye test (they just told me that I didn't pass but I need to get the same note as @moodmuzik)

• futureCbpo1982
        futureCbpo1982 commented
        Editing a comment
        how long did it take to get your poly date after you completed your SI?

• Terminal_Island
        Terminal_Island commented
        Editing a comment
        took about 3 weeks after my SI to take my Poly
    • fathitman
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2016

If any of the CBP guys in here has any contact up in the Blaine port I would love to be put in contact with them so I can find out about the area.

Finding an apartment from across the country within a months notice of EOD is kinda insane.

Comment

• jonesy_k
        jonesy_k commented
        Editing a comment
        Blaine isn't my port, but we're in the same boat. I've been using websites like nationalcorporatehousing.com coporatehousing.com oakwood.com. These are companies that rent out furnished apartments to people on coporate or government business on a month- to- month basis or however long you need. Even though it's out of our own pockets, they'll still help you out. I'd suggest calling and speaking to a sales rep. Then of course there is Airbnb, flipkey, and extended stays. But to my understanding, the point of contact listed on your final selection letter should be able to suggest some places in the area and/or officers there that are renting rooms to newbies.
        Last edited by jonesy_k; 08-31-2017, 08:08 AM.

• fathitman
        fathitman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea a few of the places have told me that find an apartment within the month is rare and the ones I have are $1000 a month or more. Im probably going to get an apartment and pay for it while I am gone. I don't really see how it is possible to do a month and move out before Glynco and then have to find something when I come back. I don't know how CBP is with sick leave or annual but I have a ton already and could use that but I probably think they won't grant it to me being the new guy.

Although I have found like 3 bedroom apartments but I am only one dude. Hopefully I can get in contact with some officers or even new guys around my date and we can just roomie up for a year or so.

• ES90
        ES90 commented
        Editing a comment
        Your Port will work with you taking annual before you ship to FLETC and leaving FLETC, especially if you have annual from a previous Fed job. As long as you have all your Pre-Academy stuff done before there shouldn't be any reason to keep you at the Port. I took a couple days and split up my drive from VT to FLETC. I plan do to the same to make the move a lot easier post-graduation. It wasn't ideal, but I signed a lease for an apartment before I left for FLETC simply for the piece of mind knowing I have some where to go to after graduation. One less thing to worry about especially when you're moving cross country. I spent a couple of my weeks at Pre-Academy looking at apartments.

• fathitman
        fathitman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea I am doing the same with getting a place when I get to the port and just paying the rent while I am gone to have something to come back too. I don't know if I really want to drive to GLYNCO since I literally am 3k miles away from it and that would be a really long drive. I know it is better to have a vehicle down there but I will probably just rent one to go do stuff for a month or so or just bum rides off people lol.

It is good to know they will work with you if you have the leave. Makes me happy that I have over 160 hour of annual and 300 hours of sick leave to use.
        Last edited by fathitman; 09-01-2017, 01:37 PM.
    • ThGreatFandango
      OUT OF ROLE
      • Oct 2008

#17-9, GS-9, Maine Ports applicant here. I searched forums trying to find a more definitive answer, but didn't see one. As far as the Provisional Clearance goes... If you accept it and get hired and are later found not suitable, since you already started working is that considered a Termination, whereas if you don't accept PC EOD and found not suitable you simply are not hired and not near as bad?

Edit: Disregard, finally found the post that answered it. So yes, you would be fired if found not suitable for some reason. Even though I already have a clearance, I'm choosing the safer route as I'm in a decent gig until I can (hopefully) get on with CBP.
      Last edited by ThGreatFandango; 08-31-2017, 07:09 PM.
      "Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react,
      You don't wanna see my hand where my hip be at"

Comment

• MCR1
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2014

Passed my interview for the SI. And now here comes the dreaded Polygraph. What exactly can I expect? I've done polygraphs for other departments by the way. I just heard the reputation CBP has with polygraphs.

Comment

• jonesy_k
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2017

When does the probationary year start? Immediately on our EOD date or after graduating the academy/post-academy?

Comment

• juniorspades
            juniorspades commented
            Editing a comment
            Immediately on day one of pre-academy (EOD).

• MoodMuzik
            MoodMuzik commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey,
            I saw your post that said you are going to San Ysidro. My EOD is Sept 25th. Have you had any luck finding a place to stay? I'm looking and if you have any recommendations or suggestions I'd appreciate it.
        • disman
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2017

Anyone from the 17-9 announcement who can share what your timeline is looking like? Mine so far:

Exam: 08/07/17
          NORs: 08/21/17 Score 90

Nothing since then.

Comment

• disman
            disman commented
            Editing a comment
            I just received a tentative selection email today as well.

• Casper_Talon
            Casper_Talon commented
            Editing a comment
            Also recieved the TSL notice today. Sucks that there's a Cat 5 Hurricane advisory for Fl and I think postal mail will be affected for recieving/sending the packet. Also my running training will be suspended for some days. How is everyone doing their mock ptf1?

• disman
            disman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm using the audio file available online. The steps were the hardest because I didn't have anything to practice with and after listening to the audio I realized I need to speed up my steps.

• Acenall
            Acenall commented
            Editing a comment
            Have any of you received any other news?
            im 17-9 to AZ. Waiting on medical to clear and Equip to be reviewed
        • CBPOSanY
          CBPOSanY
          • Sep 2017

Hello:

I applied for 17-6.

equip: pass
          PFT1: pass
          PFT2: waived
          Medical: pending
          SI: pass
          Poly: pass
          BI: pending
          Drug: pending results
          Offer: pending

Anyone have feedback giving my status as listed above. Took my drug a few days ago, pending results. Then 1 day later I got a pass on the polygraph. Any idea on how close I am to EOD letter?

I am open to exchanging contact info for those planning to post at San Ysidro / FLETC.
          Last edited by CBPOSanY; 09-01-2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• HopefulBP
            HopefulBP commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you a veteran CBPOSanY? I'm also a 17-6 and just passed my SI.
            Last edited by HopefulBP; 09-01-2017, 05:19 PM.

• CBPOSanY
            CBPOSanY commented
            Editing a comment
            No. I am a regular applicant.

• HopefulBP
            HopefulBP commented
            Editing a comment
            Man you flew through the process, I'm hoping I get my poly soon, how long after you did the SI did you get the call or email for poly?

• CBPOSanY
            CBPOSanY commented
            Editing a comment
            Took about three weeks to get poly scheduled. Then then the poly was like one month after that.
        • MoodMuzik
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2017

Hello,
          I got the "call" the other day that I got into CBP. My EOD is September 25th at San Ysidro. My academy dates are November 2nd - March 16th.
          I live in Los Angeles but my port will be San Ysidro. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do as far as housing for the month that I'll be there?
          Also do I go straight to the academy from my port or do we get a couple days?
          Thanks.
          Last edited by MoodMuzik; 09-01-2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• jonesy_k
            jonesy_k commented
            Editing a comment
            When you get your final selection letter, there will be a point of contact for the port listed. You can ask him if there are any officers renting out rooms or what people around there typically do for pre-academy lodging. But, from what I've been told, people mostly do the hotel/motel/airbnb thing. Airbnb's are kind of scarce out there and not much cheaper with the length of time. There are plenty of cheap-ish, no frills lodging around the immediate area if you're into that sort of thing.

• fathitman
            fathitman commented
            Editing a comment
            I just found an apartment for rent and will just pay the rent while I am at the academy to make sure I have a place when I come back. I am going to BHam and the vacancy rate for apartments is 0.6% which is insane and means I got lucky to find this one apartment to rent out within the 30 days of them giving me a hire date. I get guys don't want to pay rent when they are gone but my peace of mind will be worth that money for me.

Also will have an extra bedroom in my place to host new CBP guys for their pre-academy for some money.

For reference: I am moving from AZ to WA within 30 days of notice and managed to find a place to rent and will be taking annual leave from my current agency to move to WA for CBP. It is a fast time crunch if you ask me.
            Last edited by fathitman; 09-04-2017, 06:19 AM.

• GarrettFaulks
            GarrettFaulks commented
            Editing a comment
            Do they run academy classes all year round? Or do they stop at a certain date until the next year

• EE626619
            EE626619 commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you guys know how long the pre academy is?
        • Spooky Gunner
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2017

OK guys, so I have a question. I took my poly over 2 weeks ago. I was told by the examiner that I failed, but when I queried which part he kind of waffled. I was completely honest and told him everything. I haven't heard from qc yet, but since the poly my pft2 has swapped to "not applicable /not required" (I know it isn't anymore, but it didn't swap until after), my BI has changed to "in progress", and I've been called, scheduled, and competed my drug test. Would I have failed and had all this happen?

Comment

• CBPOSanY
            CBPOSanY commented
            Editing a comment
            I got scheduled my drug test one day before learning that I passed the poly.
        • Spooky Gunner
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2017

I was scheduled on Tuesday, took it on Wednesday... Still nothing.

Comment

• CBPOSanY
            CBPOSanY commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you checking the old school CASS or the new one. The CASS homepage has a link for the new CBP portal.
        • Spooky Gunner
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2017

Do you mean the app? Yeah I'm checking it. The old CSS for me doesn't even list my poly at all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12080 users online. 74 members and 12006 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...