Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Have Gun - Will Travel
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2016

The House Homeland Security Committee passed a bill which would allow CBP to waive polygraphs for some applicants. It is expected to got to a floor vote at the House soon. Here are the people who could receive a waiver:

Current state and local law enforcement personnel who have cleared a polygraph test;

Federal law enforcement agents who have passed a security background check; and

Veterans with three consecutive years in the military who have held a security clearance and passed background checks.https://homeland.house.gov/bill/h-r-2213-anti-border-corruption-reauthorization-act-2017/

Comment

• Have Gun - Will Travel
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2016

I got a call with an academy start date of June 30th. Anyone else going then? I got called Tuesday and have the PT round 2 at the end of the month.

Comment

• merlin436
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dc5lov3r
        Been thinking about a career change. I always wanted to work for CBP since passing through port of entry back in 2011, but never went for it since I had a steady job. Anyway I've seen the opening for a few positions open up but just wondering what are the chances of actually going far without any law enforcement experience? I've been a maintenance worker and part time substitute teacher for a school district since 2009.

Would my chances of actually getting a call back be very low since I don't have much experience in that field? What I've seen or hear a lot of CBP/BPA are all previous veterans or law officers.
        There's a fair amount of CBPOs who have a background in the military or law enforcement. I wouldn't say it's a majority though. We're actually a pretty eclectic bunch with people coming from a wide variety of jobs and skillsets.

I myself am a former substitute Special Education teacher during the 90s. Many former school employees have successfully made the jump as CBPOs. Anybody who can stand in front of a classroom of brats and survive will likely thrive within OFO.

I'd say you're more than minimally qualified based on your work history.

Comment

• dangerr101
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Have Gun - Will Travel
          The House Homeland Security Committee passed a bill which would allow CBP to waive polygraphs for some applicants. It is expected to got to a floor vote at the House soon. Here are the people who could receive a waiver:

Current state and local law enforcement personnel who have cleared a polygraph test;

Veterans with three consecutive years in the military who have held a security clearance and passed background checks.
          https://homeland.house.gov/bill/h-r-2213-anti-border-corruption-reauthorization-act-2017/
          are BOP co's exempt from polygraph since they are Federal Leos?

so what constitutes a stringent background check? secret? TS-SCI?

Comment

• Have Gun - Will Travel
            Have Gun - Will Travel commented
            Editing a comment
            My first thought would be if BOP is covered under Federal Law Enforcement Retirement then they should fall into this category. But I know some firefighters and other people fall into the same retirement so I'm not sure.

It doesn't say a stringent background check it says a security clearance. So, in the military everyone is given a background check to join and that would not be enough. It isn't considered a clearance until you have a Secret or above.

But, this is congress doing it so who knows what they are thinking and how OPM and CBP will interpret it.
        • valetudo39
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Have Gun - Will Travel

Veterans with three consecutive years in the military who have held a security clearance and passed background checks.https://homeland.house.gov/bill/h-r-2213-anti-border-corruption-reauthorization-act-2017/
          Still not going to help with getting more bodies. Not too many current state or local law enforcement officers are going to quit their job to join CBP. Also the bill states Top Security clearance and most veterans never had a T/S clearance. As far as current federal law enforcement that are willng to quit there current job to join CBP, except for 0083's and a few BP agents, will not help bring the numbers up. No they need to simply revamp the polygraph all together and do it the way other federal agencies conduct their polygraphs.
          Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

• Have Gun - Will Travel
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2016

I'm not saying I agree with the approach but it will help some. I work for CBP in a non-Leo position and I know of a couple people I work with have applied in years past but failed the poly. Also, I know when I was getting out of the Army if someone had told me with my clearance I was able to skip the poly and make GS-12 pay in a couple years I would have went for it. Recruiting for people that meet those standards is at least a basic step toward getting better qualified help.
            Last edited by Have Gun - Will Travel; 05-07-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• merlin436
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2005

It'll help some.

The biggest problem is that it's another knee-jerk, band-aid pseudo-fix that does not address any of the real problems lying underneath. It just masks the symptoms.

Comment

• Matt8538
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2015

Got the call for my scheduled drug test, that mean I'm getting close to finished finally?? lol

Comment

• Have Gun - Will Travel
                  Editing a comment
                  My process has been screwed up. But, two weeks after I did the drug test I got a call offering me the job and telling me the report/academy date.
              • Sean_82
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2009

Is it possible to apply to two announcements concurrently?

For example, I applied under the Direct Hire announcement (CBPO 17-8 'Direct Hire') as well as a VRA announcement (CBPO VRA 17-7). I took the USA Hire assessment after applying to the former and was able to schedule the proctored exam. After applying for the latter, it accepted my previous score and again asked me to schedule the proctored exam, although in the reservations system, it will not let the two tests overlap.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Should I withdraw from one of the applications, and if so, which one?

Thanks

Comment

• Have Gun - Will Travel
                  Editing a comment
                  Unless it has changed if you apply a second time it overwrites the first. You will most likely need to e-mail HR to let them know. If not you may get lost in the shuffle before they realize you have already completed some of the steps.

• Sean_82
                  Sean_82 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. All things being equal, and not having a preference with regard to geographic location, which announcement would be more expedient with regard to a hiring timeline? This is of course providing that I pass the proctored exam...
              • cruffic
                Forum Member
                • Mar 2017

This is a super super long process......
                Last edited by cruffic; 05-10-2017, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• birddog71
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2016

Morning all,
                  I have pft1 this week In Nassau county. The notice says don't drink anything with caffeine 24 hours prior to the fitness test, same as the medical. Do they test your bp and heart rate again ? I would think some people would like to have coffee or some type of energy drink the morning of the exam.
                  Thanks

Comment

• fathitman
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2016

Originally posted by birddog71
                    Morning all,
                    I have pft1 this week In Nassau county. The notice says don't drink anything with caffeine 24 hours prior to the fitness test, same as the medical. Do they test your bp and heart rate again ? I would think some people would like to have coffee or some type of energy drink the morning of the exam.
                    Thanks
                    The PFT1 should be at the same time of your physical. So you don't want to drink any of that stuff since they will be doing the physical.

Comment

• Matt8538
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2015

I was referred to the scheduling unit today, any idea how long till I may receive a final offer and eod dates?? Just trying to get a ballpark from people that have recently got there offer

Comment

• B O Double
                        B O Double commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What announcement did you apply to? Timeline? Congrats!

• Matt8538
                        Matt8538 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        About 7 months prolly woulda been 5 but had to retake the poly a couple times of course. Seems like the whole time they were trying to move quick as they could.
                    • birddog71
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by fathitman

The PFT1 should be at the same time of your physical. So you don't want to drink any of that stuff since they will be doing the physical.
                      Thanks for the reply. I did my medical at JFK last month. With physical and check up. The only paper work I need to bring is the score sheet for exercises.
                      Is this going to be another physical / check up?

Comment

• ES90
                        • Mar 2016

7 months? Sheesh, I'm at 10 months and they're not even done with my BI yet. I'm a current Federal employee too. Well, good luck!

Comment

• B O Double
                          B O Double commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What announcement did you apply to?

• ES90
                          ES90 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          16-10 last July.

• B O Double
                          B O Double commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sounds like a 2yr process.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21171 users online. 64 members and 21107 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...