Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimlv
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2007

Ok so the new posting for the same border towns is posted again, however, there are some incentives that come with it as mentioned earlier (GS9, 25% for three years, and student loan repayment). How bad are these locations and how desperate are they. I am more interested in the ND spots since I live in the desert now and want out the dust bowl. It looks like there is a 3 year commitment. Can you leave that location after three years or are you stuck. How is the OT in these ports of entry? Seems like it may be a good thing if you can suck it up for three years and then go somewhere you really want to go, but that needs to be the case. Anyone with info on these posts?

Comment

• Ashan646
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by thaiboxing87
      i qualify for gs 9, but don't want to slow down the app process right now for 7... I'd rather get this as quickly as possible.
      I'm in the same situation. I qualify but contemplating if I should do it or not. Don't want it to delay the process..

Comment

• anythingicanbe
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2015

Just scheduled my poly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• gmen0587
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2015

Has anyone had to take a medical exam again on their own? If so, do we print that form and bring it to the dr?

Comment

• merlin436
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by howlongdoihavetowaitforthis
            I sure as hell would if I qualified. The one thing that can be potentially abused is that a CBPO hired at GS-5 can reapply as a GS-9 one year after working to skip from GS-7 to GS-9. Also current BP and CBPOs can apply to transfer using these announcements and take a pay cut to GS-9 step 10, good luck to new hires getting good locations now.

You qualify for the GS-9 grade level (starting salary $48,403) if you possess one of the following:

a.** that demonstrates the ability to make rapid, accurate judgments*and decisions with

***** respect to the application of the regulations, instructions, and procedures for importing*and exporting merchandise to and from the*United States, or enforcement and administration of lawsrelating to the right of persons to enter, reside in, or depart from the*United States;OR

b.** Two full years of graduate level education in a field of study related to law enforcement (e.g., criminal justice, homeland security, justice studies, law enforcement, courts and judicial systems, forensic technology, corrections and rehabilitation) at an accredited or pre-accredited college or university;OR

c.*** A combination of successfully completed graduate level education in a field of study related to law*enforcement and specialized*work experience. This will be calculated using your resume and unofficial*transcripts submitted with your application.

I'll guess that the average GS-05 hasn't the experience necessary after one year to qualify under the GS-09 qualifications...unless he happens to have two years of grad school under his belt. The typical GS-05 works one month of pre-academy, 18 weeks of academy and then there's post academy training that'll last for several months. None of which really aids a person in meeting the requirements of one year of specialized work experience that the GS-09 level requires. CBPO typically promote up the ladder to GS-12 at 52 weeks intervals. By the time the average guy actually gets one year of specialized work experience that's GS-09 creditable...he's very much likely to be a late GS-07 at the least...if not already a GS-09.

As far as busting back as a GS-09...there's this that suggests not:

"Current Federal Employees: Current federal employees who apply to this announcement will be required to serve a probationary period in accordance with 5 CFR 315 and may be required to accept a change to lower grade, which may reduce their salary based on Federal pay regulations. Note: If you are a current GS-12 step 1, your salary will be reduced to a GS-7 step 10, which equates to an approximate $18,000 salary reduction (based on locality). Re-promotion is not guaranteed. Timeframes and grade level re-promotion is at the discretion of the agency and will be subject to a probationary period."

The agency has stated goals of targeting hiring towards the ports most in need, along with hiring goals of making employee relocations easier and targeting hiring towards those locations best able to maximize training and experience for new hires. The new locations available will likely reflect the new direction the agency wants to take with regards to hiring.
            Last edited by merlin436; 11-04-2015, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Pisan917
              Forum Member
              • Jan 2015

95 days on the SU. No signs yet

Comment

• merlin436
                Forum Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jimlv
                Ok so the new posting for the same border towns is posted again, however, there are some incentives that come with it as mentioned earlier (GS9, 25% for three years, and student loan repayment). How bad are these locations and how desperate are they. I am more interested in the ND spots since I live in the desert now and want out the dust bowl. It looks like there is a 3 year commitment. Can you leave that location after three years or are you stuck. How is the OT in these ports of entry? Seems like it may be a good thing if you can suck it up for three years and then go somewhere you really want to go, but that needs to be the case. Anyone with info on these posts?
                I've worked in Pembina.

If I had to choose between Pembina and Portal I'd take Pembina. Pembina is the larger of the two, at roughly 85 line officers, plus management, administrative and support staff. It's also on the east side of the state, so there's less interplay with the oilfield housing shortages and such. There are also other reasons to avoid Portal.

As far as overtime went it had some, nothing like what the major ports offered, but more than many other ports had.

As far as getting out in three years or whenever, who knows? The agency has stated a hiring goal if assisting with the relocation of current people when accepting new hires. That should help. On the other hand, far more people tend to want out of places like ND, when compared to those who want in.

Comment

• Lancelotml
                  Forum Member
                  • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Pisan917
                  95 days on the SU. No signs yet
                  I'm sorry, what's your location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• calebggodwin
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2013

Had a busy day yesterday. Rode almost an hour and a half to have my medical and fitness test done. Aside from my eyesight being blind uncorrected, they said I did real well all along the way. Though, I was surprised they had me do the fitness test first, then the medical, but no complaints. The doc checking me out didn't know that and inquired why heart rate was a little high on the EKG. Once I told her I just did the fitness test, she acted like all was normal. So that's good. I've never had any real issues in any area, heart included, so I didn't want to start now! Is taking the fitness test first common?

I also finished my e-Qip and submitted it. I was feeling really good about things until I couldn't log in to the e-Qip site this morning. I'm a bit concerned that maybe I was somehow late? I know my email said I had to submit it by today(11/5), as in, I could submit it today. So I made sure to finish everything yesterday. I submitted it last night, and got all the click-to-sign receipts. It told me I submitted it and all was well. But possibly with the time difference, it might have been 11/5 at MHC. Not sure. Am I not suppose to be able to log in anymore after submitting the e-Qip background information?

I've got my VBT/SI scheduled in a few weeks, so time to look up on that. Otherwise, I expect that if I passed the med/fit tests, which I believe I did, I'll receive something about correcting my eyesight with LASIK. I'm already scheduling a 3 hour assessment to have the LASIK done.

To the future!
                    Last edited by calebggodwin; 11-05-2015, 10:59 AM.
                    CBPO 15-5 BPA 16-1
                    09/13/15 App (Laredo)
                    09/23 Exam
                    10/09 Rfrd GS-7
                    10/18 Score - 98
                    10/26 eQip Email
                    10/27 Med/PFT1 Email
                    10/29 SI/VBT Sched 11/23
                    11/04 Med/PFT1
                    11/04 eQip Sent
                    11/10 "" Accptd
                    11/23 VBT/SI
                    11/24 ""(Pass)
                    12/03 Rcvd Med/Fit Email (Pass, Follow-Up)
                    09/18/15 App (S. TX)
                    10/28 Exam (ALT)
                    11/15 ReApp (AZ)
                    11/18 Score (100)
                    11/20 TSL GS-5
                    12/16 Sched Med/PFT1
                    02/04/16 OHB/Poly

Comment

• Pisan917
                      Forum Member
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by lancelotml
                      i'm sorry, what's your location?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
                      ewr

Comment

• Shan03
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2015

I receive a letter with an unfavorable polygraph result. Can I ask for the reason? Where I can call to have some info. I tell all the truth and I was relax. I feel really sad.

Comment

• Mr._A.
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2015

ewr
                          I take it the pipeline for EWR has backed up and needless to say stopped...? That's my location as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Pisan917
                            Forum Member
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Mr._A.
                            I take it the pipeline for EWR has backed up and needless to say stopped...? That's my location as well.

I think the last person I remember going to to EWR was in June-July

Comment

• Mr._A.
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2015

I think the last person I remember going to to EWR was in June-July
                              Yeah that sounds about right.

Comment

• zFinest
                                Determined
                                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Shan03
                                I receive a letter with an unfavorable polygraph result. Can I ask for the reason? Where I can call to have some info. I tell all the truth and I was relax. I feel really sad.
                                What did they tell you when you finished the polygraph
                                With honor and integrity, we will safeguard the American people, our homeland, and our values.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12115 users online. 75 members and 12040 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...