Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gijoeavila
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2011

some excerpts from a co-worker of mine who was picked up a year ago. fun read for you guys.

"Whatever you do, don't move your family until you're done at the academy. Keep them in Texas. You'll have long weekends off from time to time at the academy where you'll be able to fly home and see your family. That's what I did. When you're not able to see them, FaceTime or Skype is your best friend."

"If for some reason you fail the academy, you will still have a place to go back to in Texas (and a job at the Prison). You can decide later if you want to keep, sell or rent out your house. If you get hurt at the academy (which happens a lot) they will send you back to your port, then recycle you with the next available class. People frequently get broken arms and torn ACLs while training (where a knee brace). The trainers and sports medicine doctors on base are the best the government has to offer. You're gonna be taught Ju-jitsu and ground fighting. The injuries that happen usually occur when you spar with your classmates. Plan on getting slammed on the floor, beat up, bloody and having bruises and black eyes. I had bloody knuckles and bruises the entire time I was there. You'll be a fighting machine when it's all over."

"When It comes time for you to leave your port to go to the academy, they will probably allow you to fly back to Texas, pick up your car and drive to the academy (my port allowed me to do that). When you're done at the academy, you'll be able to drive back to the Port. When you get back to the Port, after the academy, they will work with you in giving you time to move your family. You will either take your own leave or they'll give you administrative leave. You're accrued sick and annual leave will follow you from the BOP to CBP"

"The first month of pre-academy is like an orientation to your career. They'll go over lots of paperwork and they introduce you to the various computer systems we use. You're gonna watch a ton of movies and complete a ton of online tests. It's kinda of boring, but it'll set you up for the academy. On your days off explore the area and find a good place where your family will like to live."

"The academy is awesome. I loved every minute of it. They jam pack every day full of academics, shooting and fighting. They are gonna turn you into a machine. It's very similar to book camp for the military. You and your class will march around in cadence every where you go. It's pretty cool. They are gonna work you out and make you run, then run some more, then run some more after that, then make you fight (be sure you are running and lifting weights every day to prepare)."

"You're gonna shoot guns so much you'll probably get sick of it. Tazers are issued to a lot of ports, so you'll get trained on that too. (You're gonna get tazed, so prepare yourself for that. When I got tazed, it almost made me **** my pants) You also carry OC pepper spray. They're gonna spray you all over your face then make you fight."

"The academics portion of the academy is the most difficult. They jam a ton of information down your throat every day, so studying and making flash card is a good idea. "

It's me again. I know some of this is over zealous but it does give a good insite. He wrote more but obviously I dont want to put too much actual cbp stuff on a blog. I was a warrant officer in the army and I doubt its like basic training but probably more like OBC. (officer basic course) I have been to glynco for my current job and have experienced it a bit. (different agency so i cannot speak for CBP but just in general of the FLETC vibe) It does have a semi military vibe if you are a vet. I mean from things like the range to having a gigantic chow hall. It was a former naval base so the layout is just like a military installation. Well this is probably the longest post in history but i thought it would be a good read and different from the normal paranoia and anxiety found on this forum. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to all that. Happy thursday and 28 hours till COB friday. Hopefully we get a call by then.

Comment

• gijoeavila
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2011

Oh.. And to you guys that are Federal LEO CBP is on a GS payscale and not GL. If you dont know what im talking about then google GS pay scale and then GL. GL stands for Law enforcement. We get a 25% bump. I am a 7-5 on the GL scale which will make me a 7-10 on the GS scale. (they cant pay you less than your current pay according to FERS so they match it to the next higher step and thank god I wasnt higher because you cannot go higher than step 10) This has been a question of mine from the start. I did get the confirmation from my buddy and also they told me at the SI but they did not seem to know and those guys were already 13's so I just figured they forgot or didnt care at this point. CBP is on the law enforcement retirement though so that is great and most important.. Also once you hit GS-11 it doesnt matter. GL only goes up to GL-10. and since we do not get 10's in CPB the it would have pretty much ended at GL-9. But a lot of us will be 12's in three years so it doesnt matter too much. I just wanted to put that info out there for those who are interested. And sorry for rambling. I did just had two big cups of coffee..
      Last edited by gijoeavila; 05-02-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Rms16
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by gijoeavila
        some excerpts from a co-worker of mine who was picked up a year ago. fun read for you guys.

"Whatever you do, don't move your family until you're done at the academy. Keep them in Texas. You'll have long weekends off from time to time at the academy where you'll be able to fly home and see your family. That's what I did. When you're not able to see them, FaceTime or Skype is your best friend."

"If for some reason you fail the academy, you will still have a place to go back to in Texas (and a job at the Prison). You can decide later if you want to keep, sell or rent out your house. If you get hurt at the academy (which happens a lot) they will send you back to your port, then recycle you with the next available class. People frequently get broken arms and torn ACLs while training (where a knee brace). The trainers and sports medicine doctors on base are the best the government has to offer. You're gonna be taught Ju-jitsu and ground fighting. The injuries that happen usually occur when you spar with your classmates. Plan on getting slammed on the floor, beat up, bloody and having bruises and black eyes. I had bloody knuckles and bruises the entire time I was there. You'll be a fighting machine when it's all over."

"When It comes time for you to leave your port to go to the academy, they will probably allow you to fly back to Texas, pick up your car and drive to the academy (my port allowed me to do that). When you're done at the academy, you'll be able to drive back to the Port. When you get back to the Port, after the academy, they will work with you in giving you time to move your family. You will either take your own leave or they'll give you administrative leave. You're accrued sick and annual leave will follow you from the BOP to CBP"

"The first month of pre-academy is like an orientation to your career. They'll go over lots of paperwork and they introduce you to the various computer systems we use. You're gonna watch a ton of movies and complete a ton of online tests. It's kinda of boring, but it'll set you up for the academy. On your days off explore the area and find a good place where your family will like to live."

"The academy is awesome. I loved every minute of it. They jam pack every day full of academics, shooting and fighting. They are gonna turn you into a machine. It's very similar to book camp for the military. You and your class will march around in cadence every where you go. It's pretty cool. They are gonna work you out and make you run, then run some more, then run some more after that, then make you fight (be sure you are running and lifting weights every day to prepare)."

"You're gonna shoot guns so much you'll probably get sick of it. Tazers are issued to a lot of ports, so you'll get trained on that too. (You're gonna get tazed, so prepare yourself for that. When I got tazed, it almost made me **** my pants) You also carry OC pepper spray. They're gonna spray you all over your face then make you fight."

"The academics portion of the academy is the most difficult. They jam a ton of information down your throat every day, so studying and making flash card is a good idea. "

It's me again. I know some of this is over zealous but it does give a good insite. He wrote more but obviously I dont want to put too much actual cbp stuff on a blog. I was a warrant officer in the army and I doubt its like basic training but probably more like OBC. (officer basic course) I have been to glynco for my current job and have experienced it a bit. (different agency so i cannot speak for CBP but just in general of the FLETC vibe) It does have a semi military vibe if you are a vet. I mean from things like the range to having a gigantic chow hall. It was a former naval base so the layout is just like a military installation. Well this is probably the longest post in history but i thought it would be a good read and different from the normal paranoia and anxiety found on this forum. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to all that. Happy thursday and 28 hours till COB friday. Hopefully we get a call by then.
        Thanks for the info that's good stuff to know. Also for those of you that have had medical hicups, I was told when I sent my med stuff up to keep copies for for yourself and bring those copies to fletc. The med team there will ask for it and will expect you to have it. They can get it for you it just takes time and If I remember correctly it can jam you up.
        NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
        Score:9X.XX%
        List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

• Pointman8
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2012

Thanks Gijoevilla. That was really some good stuff to read. Makes me excited to go even more now.
          Geo:SWB
          CBPO Exam:08/2/11
          TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
          Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
          VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
          Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
          Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
          Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
          BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
          TSU: 3/28/13
          EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
          FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Crimestopshere
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Pointman8
            Thanks Gijoevilla. That was really some good stuff to read. Makes me excited to go even more now.
            I am also even more excited to go now. Echoes many of the sentiments i have heard from people that are there now.

Comment

• Shorttie
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Rms16
              Thanks for the info that's good stuff to know. Also for those of you that have had medical hicups, I was told when I sent my med stuff up to keep copies for for yourself and bring those copies to fletc. The med team there will ask for it and will expect you to have it. They can get it for you it just takes time and If I remember correctly it can jam you up.
              Lmao I make copies of everything and keep it in a file cabinet. I think I might have ticket I recieved about 13 years ago when I officially got my license. And yes for all of those wondering it was speeding :P
              Geo: Florida, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas V.I and St. Croix V.I
              first choice: Florida region
              second choice: Puerto Rico
              Test-8/21/11
              NOR-3/23/12
              Test Management Application-8/16/12
              TSL-2/25/13
              PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
              Medical-3/27/13- put on medical review 5/21/2013-passed
              B.I.- submitted 6/11/2013
              V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
              S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
              Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
              PFT 2-
              The Call-
              E.O.D-

Comment

• Rms16
                Forum Member
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Shorttie
                Lmao I make copies of everything and keep it in a file cabinet. I think I might have ticket I recieved about 13 years ago when I officially got my license. And yes for all of those wondering it was speeding :P
                Ya I'm almost the same way I keep everything haha. I only just started getting rid of some paperwork from over ten years ago.
                NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
                Score:9X.XX%
                List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

• merlin436
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gijoeavila
                  Oh.. And to you guys that are Federal LEO CBP is on a GS payscale and not GL. If you dont know what im talking about then google GS pay scale and then GL. GL stands for Law enforcement. We get a 25% bump. I am a 7-5 on the GL scale which will make me a 7-10 on the GS scale. (they cant pay you less than your current pay according to FERS so they match it to the next higher step and thank god I wasnt higher because you cannot go higher than step 10) This has been a question of mine from the start. I did get the confirmation from my buddy and also they told me at the SI but they did not seem to know and those guys were already 13's so I just figured they forgot or didnt care at this point. CBP is on the law enforcement retirement though so that is great and most important.. Also once you hit GS-11 it doesnt matter. GL only goes up to GL-10. and since we do not get 10's in CPB the it would have pretty much ended at GL-9. But a lot of us will be 12's in three years so it doesnt matter too much. I just wanted to put that info out there for those who are interested. And sorry for rambling. I did just had two big cups of coffee..
                  I'll throw out that there is a pay reform proposal out there that would place CBPOs on the GL scale. If and when it comes to fruition...who knows?

Comment

• BPAHelibs22
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2010

Hi Everyone

How long are background Investigations good for? I just got my TSL 2 and fingerprint cards today. I had a completed background in the beginning of last year. Will I have to redo the whole investigation including meeting with an investigator? Thank you!
                    GEO: SWB
                    TSL 1 & 2: 4/5/13 & 5/1/13
                    Medical & PFT-1: 4/17/13 Passed
                    VBT/SI: 6/17/13 Passed
                    Qual: (GS-5) Cleared
                    Drug Test: Pending
                    BI: In security office
                    Poly: Pending
                    TSU: Pending

Comment

• Shorttie
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Greggyd1211
                      Dude as clean as you think u might be ... these examiners are professionals who make a living questioning everything that you have ever taken part in. I dont have anything to hide either and I was being accused of espionage .... trust me they will have more than enough to interrogate you about lol
                      I would have told him I'm in league with bin Ladin nephew against the USA that would have gotten a really good response. Lol all joke aside I welcome the poly I don't have any secrets I'm trying to hide or any incriminating evidence against me. It would be interesting to see the list of questions that they are going to throw at me. All in all I'm not worried. They are going to do their worst and ill befine.
                      Test-8/21/11
                      NOR-3/23/12
                      TSL-2/25/13
                      PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
                      V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
                      S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
                      Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
                      PFT 2-
                      The Call-
                      E.O.D-

Comment

• LennyXDM
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2011

Just sent in the appeal request to be given another poly to MHC. The personnel there were very helpful in giving me the appropriate email address to send my appeal. They also stated they would forward this to IA for consideration. We'll see what happens...
                        Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Comment

• SWB
                          Forum Member
                          • Apr 2013

Long time follower, first time poster

Looking forward to sharing whats left of this experience with you all in this mortal abyss known as the CBP Hiring Process & hopefully seeing some of you soon at FLETC
                          Exam: 4/3/12
                          NOR: 4/10/12 SWB 88 (No Vet Preference)
                          TSL1: 5/10/12
                          TSL2: 5/11/12
                          EQip: 5/16/12
                          Fingerprint Cards: 5/24/12
                          PFT1: 6/14/12
                          Poly: 6/22/12 & 7/20/12
                          VBT/SI: 6/26/12
                          Med: 7/9/12
                          Quals: 8/15/12 GS-7
                          Drug Test: 12/19/12
                          Background: 5/22/2012 Sent to Security Office

Comment

• Shorttie
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2013

Heads up on my process. So I went to the doctor this past wed which was may 1,2013 and I had a physical which all results came out good. Was schedule to do the EKG and bloody work today fri may 4,2013. Did my EKG and came out to 64 BPM and now I'm waiting on my blood work which ill get the results next fri may 10,2013. All in all I'm happy with these results and only thing on my mind is my blood work which I'm confident is going to be clean.
                            Last edited by Shorttie; 05-03-2013, 02:42 PM.
                            Test-8/21/11
                            NOR-3/23/12
                            TSL-2/25/13
                            PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
                            V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
                            S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
                            Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
                            PFT 2-
                            The Call-
                            E.O.D-

Comment

• TripleD
                              Forum Member
                              • Jun 2012

Folks,
                              Hate to break this news, but after reading a budget update by the Acting CBP Commissioner dated 5/2, I'd be surprised to see any entry level CBPO hiring for the remainder of the year. They continue to analyze the available funding and there is renewed talk of furloughs for current employees. I'm sure this will be a last resort, but the mention of it does not bode well for new hires.

The only silver lining is the proposed budget for next FY (Oct 13) and the fact almost every port will be hurting by then. Take it for what's its worth. Work out and find other aspects of your life to keep happy until "The Call".
                              Last edited by TripleD; 05-03-2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• payniel
                                Forum Member
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TripleD
                                Folks,
                                Hate to break this news, but after reading a budget update by the Acting CBP Commissioner dated 5/2, I'd be surprised to see any entry level CBPO hiring for the remainder of the year. They continue to analyze the available funding and there is renewed talk of furloughs for current employees. I'm sure this will be a last resort, but the mention of it does not bode well for new hires.

The only silver lining is the proposed budget for next FY (Oct 13) and the fact almost every port will be hurting by then. Take it for what's its worth. Work out and find other aspects of your life to keep happy until "The Call".
                                Damn............but while the mention of furloughs doesnt bode well for hiring, it does not actually mean there wont be, seeing as the language in the budget set up staffing minimums for cbp. Unless CBP disregards this portion of the bill, or somehow no body leaves CBP, then hiring seemingly should have to continue right? I'm sure the agency could stop hiring and not face any real consequences, even though it leaves the PoE's in a very dire situation seeing as it takes 6+ months to actually get a new CBPO on the job at a basic level of functionality of the job.
                                CBPO:
                                Test- 05/12
                                NOR- 08/12 (95- w/5 point vet pref)
                                TSL1/2-08/12
                                PFT1/Med-09/12
                                VBT/SI-10/12
                                Poly-11/12
                                BI-12/12
                                TSU-01/24/13
                                1st "Call"-02/26/13- 30 day referral for a better selection

OCSO:
                                Applied- 06/12
                                PFT-07/12
                                CJBAT- 12/12
                                Panel Interview- 01/13
                                BI- in process

FBI
                                Phase two: probably never

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18581 users online. 32 members and 18549 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...