Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silent0151
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2008

For those of you that are thinking about giving up don't do it, in my case I tested Dec, 9 2008 in Miami,Fl I got my NOR few weeks later 86(I know is not great). I've been asked to update my geo code a couple of times in the past 1 1/2 and that's about it...no pre-employment forms, no physical, no BI nothing total silence. Luckly I already work for the Feds (not Leo) so really I haven't been worrying about too much, but for those of you that are getting desperate just hang in there you are father along than me...
    BPA
    Tested - 09/27/2010
    GEO - California Sector
    N.O.R. - 09/30/2010 Passed (93%)
    TSL1 - 11/04/2010
    OB - 11/21/2010

Comment

• kc12
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Rshen11
      I know what you are saying.. But People Enter TSU once their Pre-employment Background Clears. TSU seems Irrelvant as long as your background Clears now..
      But One can have an Earlier TO DATE then me but wont get the call because they havent Finished their Pre-Employment..
      Am i making any sense?
      CASS doesnt even show TSU date anymore.. Just shows everything as Cleared for me..
      Yes you are making sense and lookng at it that way you are correct.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• merlin436
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2005

For those interested, the promised GS-12/13 upgrades are in the payroll computers and should be seen in the next pay check.

For new hires, that's potentially ten's(maybe hundred's) of thousands of additional $$$ over the course of a career.

Comment

• kc12
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by merlin436
          For new hires, that's potentially ten's(maybe hundred's) of thousands of additional $$$ over the course of a career.
          Heck, GS-12 step 1 pay is $9400 more than we were being paid as a GS-11 step 2. After 12 step 3 we will always make at least $10k more per year than we would have at 11 pay. Every time I think about it I get dizzy. If a person starts at GS-5 they will most likely get two pay raises per year for the first 8 years of their career.
          Last edited by kc12; 09-14-2010, 10:09 AM.
          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• soto2635
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2009

hi everyone as some of you know already i have been in el paso tx almost a year now, it has had its ups and downs but over all its been good. what do senior guys think my chance of getting back to fl are within these next 3 to 4 years? how can i go about it? thanks in advance
            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

Comment

• biggdawgdaddy
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2009

Soto; Glad to see you living the dream in El Paso!! When you make probation and hit journeyman then start looking for a swap. Look at going to preclearance and hope for a vacancy in the port you want is another possiblity. We used to joke in Laredo that our theme song was "Hotel California". You know the line..."You can check out any time you like, but you may never leave!" Seemed to fit back then but I got off the SW border, and eventually you will too. Patience is a virtue and in El Paso vertue is in short supply.

Now in the short term, they are putting extra folks down there so don't expect any light in the tunnel for a long time. So keep gaining experience and wait for your day.
              Last edited by biggdawgdaddy; 09-14-2010, 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling
              Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• soto2635
                Forum Member
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy
                Soto; Glad to see you living the dream in El Paso!! When you make probation and hit journeyman then start looking for a swap. Look at going to preclearance and hope for a vacancy in the port you want is another possiblity. We used to joke in Laredo that our theme song was "Hotel California". You know the line..."You can check out any time you like, but you may never leave!" Seemed to fit back then but I got off the SW border, and eventually you will too. Patience is a virtue and in El Paso vertue is in short supply.

Now in the short term, they are putting extra folks down there so don't expect any light in the tunnel for a long time. So keep gaining experience and wait for your day.
                thats what i figured im hoping to get out of here in the next 5 years, it has def been an experience since i have been here, and im sure there is more to come but im ready to head back to the east coast
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

Comment

• merlin436
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by soto2635
                  hi everyone as some of you know already i have been in el paso tx almost a year now, it has had its ups and downs but over all its been good. what do senior guys think my chance of getting back to fl are within these next 3 to 4 years? how can i go about it? thanks in advance
                  Unknown.

I'm not taking a guess as to where this agency will be with regards to officer movement 4 years into the future. 4 years ago, we were non-6C/12D covered, journeyman 11 officers with little available for bid/rotation or alternative work schedules, etc. Today, that's all changed. Who knows how the transfers/laterals/swap issues wil be addressed in the next 3-5 years.

Have you talked to local management and to your union people? That's where I'd start.

The old 'rules' used to be that you needed to be off probation in order to be granted a straight transfer out of somewhere. Reaching GS-11 status opened the door to swapping.

What will be required 3-5 years down the road...I can't say. Journeyman status is now GS-12, that might well affect future swaps...or not. Who knows?

Good luck getting home,
                  Mer.

Comment

• genolrd
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by soto2635
                    As far as I know, you must have completed probation. That's what I was told when I tried to swap, as well as the person you are swapping with has to be the same grade you are (i.e, 9 for 9, 11 for 11 and so on). I was able to swap earlier this year. Do you time and later on put in for a swap. I'm sure there are some guys in FL wanting to come back home to Tx. I had a buddy of mine swap back to Miami from S. Texas, so it can be done. Hang in there and good luck.
                    *****CBP Officer*****
                    Hot South Texas

Comment

• kc12
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by genolrd
                      As far as I know, you must have completed probation. That's what I was told when I tried to swap, as well as the person you are swapping with has to be the same grade you are (i.e, 9 for 9, 11 for 11 and so on). I was able to swap earlier this year. Do you time and later on put in for a swap. I'm sure there are some guys in FL wanting to come back home to Tx. I had a buddy of mine swap back to Miami from S. Texas, so it can be done. Hang in there and good luck.
                      It all depends on the people involved. I've seen a person swapped after being out of the academy less than six months. The person swapped from one port to another under the same APD though so it made things a lot easier. I've also seen people told to wait until they are off probation before they were allowed to even apply for the swap.

As far as transfers I think CBP is shooting themselves in the foot. It would cost CBP little to nothing to allow people to transfer from one port to another at their personal expense instead of hiring newbies to take the position. I've moved from one state to another, two states over, with an entire household and it only cost me about $1000 for everything. It really is not so expensive that a person could not afford it. I know they couldn't give two squirts about morale for the most part, but a happy workforce is a very productive workforce.

Comment

• merlin436
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2005

I’ve heard of a person transfering on day one of pre-academy.

This person showed up to her port of hire only to be told by the APD that she was moving to port “X”, roughly 35 miles closer to her home.

One thing you can pretty much hang you hat on is that transfers/swaps are almost universally done to the benefit of local management. As such, things move quickly and decisively if it is to management’s advantage to push for a relocation.

Comment

• APO JohnnyBlaze
                          Forum Member
                          • Jan 2009

wats up guys a CBP officer at my school said that there is an upcoming exam on march of next year is this true?
                          NYPD

sigpic."why you be harassing me and ****"

Comment

• genolrd
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by kc12
                            It all depends on the people involved. I've seen a person swapped after being out of the academy less than six months. The person swapped from one port to another under the same APD though so it made things a lot easier. I've also seen people told to wait until they are off probation before they were allowed to even apply for the swap.

As far as transfers I think CBP is shooting themselves in the foot. It would cost CBP little to nothing to allow people to transfer from one port to another at their personal expense instead of hiring newbies to take the position. I've moved from one state to another, two states over, with an entire household and it only cost me about $1000 for everything. It really is not so expensive that a person could not afford it. I know they couldn't give two squirts about morale for the most part, but a happy workforce is a very productive workforce.

That's very true. I guess it also goes for "who you know" in some ports. I know it's not fair. In my case, I swapped within my Field Office, so I have no idea why they told me to wait. It would make a lot of officers happy just to be back home. I honestly don't see why it's such a big deal, but you're right, it's all up to management. It is the G, no one will really know how or why they do what they do! LOL
                            *****CBP Officer*****
                            Hot South Texas

Comment

• biggdawgdaddy
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2009

Part of what CBP is currently trying to negotiate with the Union is a set transfer policy. As slow as these thing move, I am sure I will be gone (probably from the planet) by the time an agreement is reached. Problem is right now both Port's management has to agree, as well as both service ports and the Field Offices. Much like the union and management, agreements are not as easy as one may think. Ports don't want to give up a good worker to get a slug. I personally have never seen anyone on probation ever get a swap. New Port won't take someone on probation because they want to be able to document all the stuff, and if it was not seen by port management, they can't use it to terminate in probation.
                              Not saying it can't happen, but I do remember when I was a kid my dog died, and my Dad said he went to live on a farm...maybe the same thing but with employees?
                              Last edited by biggdawgdaddy; 09-19-2010, 02:26 PM.
                              Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• kc12
                                Forum Member
                                • Mar 2007

As I understood it the negotiations are done. It is in the hands of an arbitrator and we are just waiting for the written decision.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17869 users online. 21 members and 17848 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...