Forum Member
    • Jun 2009

Not anytime soon..Apply for BP.

Comment

• seeOH
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by cbp14051
      Hello all... It's been a while since I have posted, but I finally received a call from CBP. I am scheduled to take the infamous polygraph for Buffalo, NY next week... I have been in the process for over 2 years now, so maybe this is a sign something might happen in the near future... We shall see!
      Gulp, good luck. Hopefully you can break this skid we've seen. How long did it take your credit check to clear? Did it go back to TSU in CASS? Just curious. Post or PM me to lmk how your polygraph went if you don't mind. I am sure you will do fine. Stay away from the coffee and soda before your polygraph. If you have not taken one before I suggest you go into there well rested, dressed, and with a clear conscience. Best of luck CBP145051!!!

Comment

• mackabo
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2009

I took my polygraph in Buffalo as well. I was there for about 3 hours, and the examiner let me know that I passed right after the exam. Now, even after passing a polygraph, I meet with a second background investigator this week. What a process.
        CBPO
        Written 08/08
        TO 02/09
        TSU 06/09
        BI Expired 04/10
        Polygraph 06/10--Passed
        Met with 2nd BI--07/10
        TSU 08/10

CBP BPA
        Written 08/10
        TO 09/10
        TSU 11/10
        THE CALL: 03/02/2011
        FLETC: 04/04/2011--06/20/2011

Comment

• PL07
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2009

Word on the street is that Buffalo will not be hiring anytime soon.

Comment

• sandwichman
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2009

What would you guys do if..
            1. you have a crappy job you hate at which you have no potential to advance and which barely covers the mortgage and your bills but you have a decent sized 401k going, and have almost 3 weeks of vacation time a year because you've been for so long
            2. you're paying mortgage on a house you paid more for than its worth
            3. your local job market stinks
            4. you're waiting for the call from TSU about a CBP job

Would you..

A) Take the BP test again even though you failed it a few years ago (assuming you pass you would end up in AZ).
            B) Take a full time job with TSA in Alaska which would pay roughly the same amount you're making now but has growth potential
            C) Go through the motions of getting a local LE position even though its not really what you want to do with your life
            D) Bite the bullet and stick it out at your current job until the TSU call that may or may not come
            Last edited by sandwichman; 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM.
            CBP written test Miami, FL
            11/10/2007
            NOR letter 01/16/2008
            VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
            Forms 6/2/2009 completed
            Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
            9/4/2009
            Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
            drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
            TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
            never got first)
            qualifications completed
            BI interview 9/30/2009
            BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
            poly: Mar 2011
            updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
            BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• PL07
              Forum Member
              • Jun 2009

If I did not mind moving to Alaska, I would take the TSA job and or retake the BP test. TSA will give you some federal time and obviously passing the BP test would put you in the process for the BPA position. Live your life like your not waiting in TSU for CBPO.Most ports will not be hiring anytime soon because either not as many people are leaving due to the supposed GS 12s coming in September and there is no money to hire more CBPOs this year.

Comment

• seeOH
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by PL07
                If I did not mind moving to Alaska, I would take the TSA job and or retake the BP test. TSA will give you some federal time and obviously passing the BP test would put you in the process for the BPA position. Live your life like your not waiting in TSU for CBPO.Most ports will not be hiring anytime soon because either not as many people are leaving due to the supposed GS 12s coming in September and there is no money to hire more CBPOs this year.
                From everything you've said... I think you need change. I, personally, would love Alaska. However, Alaska is not for everyone. The cost of living in Alaska is not great either. If you love the outdoors, cold weather, and dealing with unique situations I would go to Alaska. If you do not want to be a local cop then do not do it. If you want to work for CBP or BP I would take the BP test again and study your ***** off. If you do not pass or do not do well maybe you should consider a change of plan and resort to TSA (maybe you can defer) or working for your local LE agency. Just my two cents. I know you are probably frustrated but you have to realized a lot of us are frustrated as well. Whoever can wait this out longer has a better chance of getting an awesome job. Keep your head up!

Comment

• Rshen11
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2009

I heard from a friend at JFK that A lot of people were Suppose to retire this year but are obviously staying because if the GS-12 in Sept.
                  Do you think the guys that are due to retire are going to stick around another 3 years to get there high 3 in GS-12?

Personally if were due to retire..I would retire as soon as GS 12 kicks in..I'd be okay with my high3 has GS-12,11,11

We're all goign to have a long wait if they all decide to stick around a few extra years..
                  Last edited by Rshen11; 07-20-2010, 02:31 PM.
                  CBPO
                  GEO - NY/JFK
                  TO - 01/29/09
                  TSU - 05/05/09

Background cleared on 6/10/09
                  Expired 6/10/11
                  Met with BI for second Bi 10/30/2011

Comment

• PL07
                    Forum Member
                    • Jun 2009

From what I've seen at my port, some are retiring as soon as the supposed GS 12's start in September..

Comment

• Rshen11
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2009

hah good hopefully positions will start opening up when they retire.

I wouldnt stick around either .. Working and extra 2-3 years just to get the extra few bucks in retirement at that age is insane..
                      CBPO
                      GEO - NY/JFK
                      TO - 01/29/09
                      TSU - 05/05/09

Expired 6/10/11

Comment

• merlin436
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2005

I'll be willing to bet that for most people, in most situations looking at retirement, that GS-12 upgrade really won't mean a whole lot more money for them in the short term...and really wouldn't until they put another 3-5 years in as a GS-12. The first year bump for an 11/07 or above is something around $4K. The bump in as little as 8 additional years is roughly 15K.

Depending on their work history, many of those looking to retire have already reached their high three...busting their butts working all the OT they could handle. Unless they're willing to work plenty of OT in the twilight of their careers as GS-12's, they won't come close to their high three anytime soon working with the moderate bump GS-12 pay brings most current GS-11's during the first couple of years.
                        Last edited by merlin436; 07-20-2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Rshen11
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2009

@ Merlin.
                          I work for the Fed Gov right (BOP) now and i was told and always under the impression that your High 3 is based on your Base pay.
                          So your your OT doesnt factor in.. I could be wrong.. can someone clarify...
                          CBPO
                          GEO - NY/JFK
                          TO - 01/29/09
                          TSU - 05/05/09

Expired 6/10/11

Comment

• merlin436
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Rshen11
                            @ Merlin.
                            I work for the Fed Gov right (BOP) now and i was told and always under the impression that your High 3 is based on your Base pay.
                            So your your OT doesnt factor in.. I could be wrong.. can someone clarify...
                            Under COPRA(our pay act), OT earned up to the first 50% of OT/premium cap counts towards retirement. Currently that's $17.5K. PA's, likewise add their AUO to their retirement.

This is just a guess, but I imagine that we(CBP) will see the cap go up at some point after the GS-12's roll in. The $35K cap affects many CBPOs/PAs currently. Especially those on specialty teams/duties(K9, AT-CET, etc.). GS-12's only mean that those capping out likely do so earlier in the year.
                            Last edited by merlin436; 07-20-2010, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Miamicbpo
                              Forum Member
                              • Jul 2010

hey everyone, i cleared the CBPO process for the first time in february of 09 and again now in feb of 2010. anyone in the MIAMI AIRPORT OR SEAPORT have any idea when they'll start hiring for those locations again?

Comment

• Thek9
                                Forum Member
                                • Jul 2006

Miamicbpo,

I've been told, "Guaranteed within the next Year or so".
                                Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                                Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20277 users online. 39 members and 20238 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...