Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobRok
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2009

I am in the pipe for Northern WA, hopefully Blaine.

As far as a suit to the test.........blow it in another direction! Absolutly noooo need for a suit or even buisiness casual. All the need in the world to dress comfortable. Jeans a dinner shirt and sneaks will suffice. Just don't show up sporting a "born to loose" tatoo and a swat stika or gangsta tats. No extra points, no one will care, no one will put you on any list (mental or written) for dressing up. Regardless of what anyone ever tells you it's purely fabricated BS. On the other hand if you are comfy, don't look like a dead beat and think your outfit is condusive to sitting in cramped seats surounded by 100 other applicants for hours while stressing thousands of possible answers to hundreds of questions, put it on.

Comment

• RobRok
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2009

The extra 1 or 2 points you score just because you are comfortable can put you in the pool for a TO. The glance you get from a "sleeper" will do nothing for you at all. Certainly not if you don't score at least a 70.

Comment

• merlin436
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2005

Well...I'm going to have to disagree, at least in part.

I've tested 3 times, in three different small, NB cities/towns in three different states. I twice tested as a GS-11. Both of the times I tested as a GS-11 I've met both CBP managers and journeyman CBPOs there.

I think there is a chance to be noticed and to present an image. For some people, their first impression on their management will be at the test, might as well go business casual just in case someone is watching. Plus...you dress smart...you look smart...you feel smart.

There is no "jeans and tee-shirt" option for the most part at work. If you can't do your best in business casual at the test, how are you going to function well in uniform carrying around a 20 pound duty belt?

Comment

• RobRok
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2009

Merlin you are on the inside, I am trying to get to where you are.
          'Nuf respect due".

I am not sure about testing for a GS-11 position. I was speaking on behalf of us testing for the GS5/7 slot as a CBPO. I can look smart in jeans and a dinner shirt. In fact as far as comfort goes......better put on a long sleve. You can always roll it up and is more professional. If I were testing in a smaller group for a GS11.......I would go buisiness casual.

What is NB cities/towns?

Comment

• merlin436
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RobRok
            Merlin you are on the inside, I am trying to get to where you are.
            'Nuf respect due".

I am not sure about testing for a GS-11 position. I was speaking on behalf of us testing for the GS5/7 slot as a CBPO. I can look smart in jeans and a dinner shirt. In fact as far as comfort goes......better put on a long sleve. You can always roll it up and is more professional. If I were testing in a smaller group for a GS11.......I would go buisiness casual.

What is NB cities/towns?
            I wasn't testing for a GS-11 position. I was reapplying as a GS-11 for a GS-05/07 CBPO entry-level slot, same as you all. I was looking to relocate elsewhere and reapplying was one of many options I was pursuing.

Suit yourself.(pun intended) I doubt it would make a huge difference. Just don't be suprised to find out that the guy you saw standing off in the corner at the test site is actually your GS-13 manager.

Northern border.
            Watertown, NY, Grand Forks, ND and Billings, MT.

Comment

• girly
              JENNI
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bflogirl
              Hey I see you have kids, what do you plan to do when you go to FLETC? I am having a hard time with this...I really want this job but worried about being away fromt hem for 15 weeks! My husband would watch them but it's just a very long time! Just curious as to another take on it. Thanks.
              I have three girls ages 5, 6 , and 8. My husband will care for them while I am gone and I have my laptop so I will be taking that, and using the webcam to call home daily.

I think it is important to prepare them, my children have known for months that mom was trying to get a new job and that she might have to go away for awhile.

I have started them on a new routine so that it will be easier on dad while I am gone. They get there own breakfast, clothes, and are starting to learn to do their own hair.

I am looking into babysitting for them while my husband is at work, I am looking into friends and family, or a summer day camp.

I am preparring a binder with anything I can think that he may ask for, divided by each child. such as their shoe sizes and what size pants or tops they wear. also who has what allergies ( stuff he knows but forgets sometimes). What insurance coverage they have, and the numbers to each. Also I need to set up a power of attorney for my husband and my mother because he is not biologically my kids dad, there dad has major issues with crack coccaine and with a power of attorney it will be hard for him to just show up and take them. so the attorney information will be in there. I am also going to give him some quick and easy recipes since I am the cook of the family and he will have to take on that role when no one comes over and cooks for them.

That is all I can think of, I have been in organization mode since entering TSU. I want to make it as easy as possible for him and the kids, normally I am not this organized lol. I hope this answers your question, it will be hard to leave them but just remeber it will be worth it in the end and in my case it will be what is best for the family.
              Tested March 08
              TO June 08
              Medical COMPLETE 12/08
              VBT complete 08 passed
              Qualification GS-5 September 08
              BI September 08 complete April 09

FITNESS REDO AUG 7TH FAILED
              NOW IT IS TIME TO START ALL OVER AGAIN

Comment

• Savcop
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2005

Hey I see you have kids, what do you plan to do when you go to FLETC? I am having a hard time with this...I really want this job but worried about being away fromt hem for 15 weeks! My husband would watch them but it's just a very long time! Just curious as to another take on it. Thanks.
                I am not a mother, but I am a father. I know it is a little different, but I think the belief system is the same.

You must do what is best for your family, even it means sacrificing a little time in order to set up the big picture.

Remember, if reward is what you want, then there may be a little risk involved.
                Better to fight for something than live for nothing.

-Patton

Comment

• blk98gt
                  Forum Member
                  • Apr 2008

One last thing about the attire before the story gets old or turns into another wasteful argument. I feel more comfortable in business casual in a business setting like the one where I tested.
                  I am in law enforcement and when I went through the process I was told by the investigator that out of the three times I was there in their office, I had a business suit 2 times. Right away I started thinking what he was talking about because I was only there twice. Then I remembered I was called in for something that seemed unimportant but I had a suit. Finally I remembered my second meeting with them I took the coat off because it was a 100 degree day.
                  Moral of the story is they watch this stuff and write it down. MAYBE not at the test but personally I just don't wear jeans to a federal office. But hey, if you want to dress like you're going to the DMV that's fine too.

To add to someone's question some time ago. The BI that came to my house wore a suit. It shows respect to wear something on the same level. I had a shirt and tie.
                  Last edited by blk98gt; 04-30-2009, 08:58 AM.
                  You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• NJNJ
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ShowT1me78
                    Morning everybody... New to this but have been reading everyones input. I'm glad I'm not the only one waiting this out its extremely stressful. Hopefully this BI gets cleared soon. Been waiting since OCT 2008, thats when I met with my BI
                    Trying myself to get into jfk, whats is taking so long with you?

Comment

• Helo
                      Forum Member
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by blk98gt
                      One last thing about the attire before the story gets old or turns into another wasteful argument. I feel more comfortable in business casual in a business setting like the one where I tested.
                      I am in law enforcement and when I went through the process I was told by the investigator that out of the three times I was there in their office, I had a business suit 2 times. Right away I started thinking what he was talking about because I was only there twice. Then I remembered I was called in for something that seemed unimportant but I had a suit. Finally I remembered my second meeting with them I took the coat off because it was a 100 degree day.
                      Moral of the story is they watch this stuff and write it down. MAYBE not at the test but personally I just don't wear jeans to a federal office. But hey, if you want to dress like you're going to the DMV that's fine too.
                      Yup, I always dress a level above what's expected. My motto is always, "dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

I'll be there in a suit, and I'll definitely go to the FBI test in a suit as well.

Comment

• bflogirl
                        Forum Member
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by 500pearl
                        The initial test, people go in jeans and tshirt because it's administered by OPM officials and not actual CBP officers. Is that why people go dressed the way they do? I'm thinking about jeans, sneakers, and a golf (polo) shirt.
                        That's right. I say wear something comfortable so you can concentrate on the test. REally no one will even know your name after you check in.
                        CBPO
                        Test: July 2008
                        TO: 12/26/08
                        VBT 1/21/09-passed
                        Medical - 1/21/09 - cleared 4/28
                        Fitness - 1/21/09 - passed
                        Drug test - 2/5/09- passed
                        BI - Cleared
                        TSU -4/29/09 (Buffalo)
                        BI2 - cleared 8/11

ICE Special Agent
                        Test 7/22/09 passed

Comment

• bflogirl
                          Forum Member
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by girly
                          I have three girls ages 5, 6 , and 8. My husband will care for them while I am gone and I have my laptop so I will be taking that, and using the webcam to call home daily.

I think it is important to prepare them, my children have known for months that mom was trying to get a new job and that she might have to go away for awhile.

I have started them on a new routine so that it will be easier on dad while I am gone. They get there own breakfast, clothes, and are starting to learn to do their own hair.

I am looking into babysitting for them while my husband is at work, I am looking into friends and family, or a summer day camp.

I am preparring a binder with anything I can think that he may ask for, divided by each child. such as their shoe sizes and what size pants or tops they wear. also who has what allergies ( stuff he knows but forgets sometimes). What insurance coverage they have, and the numbers to each. Also I need to set up a power of attorney for my husband and my mother because he is not biologically my kids dad, there dad has major issues with crack coccaine and with a power of attorney it will be hard for him to just show up and take them. so the attorney information will be in there. I am also going to give him some quick and easy recipes since I am the cook of the family and he will have to take on that role when no one comes over and cooks for them.

That is all I can think of, I have been in organization mode since entering TSU. I want to make it as easy as possible for him and the kids, normally I am not this organized lol. I hope this answers your question, it will be hard to leave them but just remeber it will be worth it in the end and in my case it will be what is best for the family.

Thank you so much for the insight. I know it's best for my family. My kids are 3 and 18 months so it's harder to explain to them. I would get a web cam too I had thought of doing that. That is a good idea about the binder I should start on something like that too!
                          CBPO
                          Test: July 2008
                          TO: 12/26/08
                          VBT 1/21/09-passed
                          Medical - 1/21/09 - cleared 4/28
                          Fitness - 1/21/09 - passed
                          Drug test - 2/5/09- passed
                          BI - Cleared
                          TSU -4/29/09 (Buffalo)
                          BI2 - cleared 8/11

ICE Special Agent
                          Test 7/22/09 passed

Comment

• jbyrjax
                            Forum Member
                            • Feb 2009

That's right. I say wear something comfortable so you can concentrate on the test. REally no one will even know your name after you check in.
                            For me that's the reason I dressed up, I felt more comfortable that way. It was a bit of a confidence booster sitting in nice clothes beside the guy with holes in his shirt that more than likely hadn't showered in a week.

As far as scores, maybe he aced it and I failed... you never know! If that's the case though I sure hope none of you have to room with him at fletc

Comment

• NJNJ
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2009

Anyone who just reapplied this past announcement get a NOR or TOS!!!!!!!!!!
                              I called MHC and was told I would receive a NOR then a TOS. I was also informed on this forum I wouldnt receive a NOR since Im using my old score. I just dont want to get lost in the system as other have stated here already.

Comment

• imlikeaninja
                                Forum Member
                                • Sep 2008

I also reapplied under the last announcement and am waiting for my NOR. I'm pretty sure we have to wait till everyone has tested and all the scores are in. So just hang in there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17119 users online. 22 members and 17097 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...