X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ry greve
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by deyosurf19
    Additionally, Wiki is a reputable source. That quote was a derivation of a statistic quoted within.
    HEHEHE. The college I graduated from banned Wiki use as a reference on technical papers in 2005!

Comment

• deyosurf19
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sap123
      You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Did you look at the sources? Do they look reputable to you, with little or no bias? Have you seen the actual FHCS report? Are you aware of their sample validity and reliability measures (i.e. how they are weighing data in aspects) in obtaining this data? Have you seen HOW they rank agency by agency?

If you haven't, you need to start backing up your claims with "Wikipedia told me so." I'm sorry, but to me, that doesn't fly. I'm not discounting any points you're trying to make, and they could be valid claims, but you need to back them up with something credible, not Wikipedia quoting a blog aggregator community website. Heck, if one of my old college professors noticed me trying to pull that crap, he'd smack a big 'F' on my paper and attach an application to the local McDonalds.

There are varying degrees on how to answer your original question of 'morale' and job satisfaction and the like. A very easy way is to ask CBPOs on this site and see where they stand. If you really want to get down to seeing how the survey stacks up, you should read it. Everyone makes their own opinions, but hopefully they have good reasons behind them.
      Wow, pretty tough guy approach here. If you and I meet face to face then you can take this hardline approach with me, but I will not play into your internet badass persona.

I was an English major, and graduated cum laude, I am very aware of citing reputable sources. Wiki is more reputable source than some out there, believe me.

Here is a link to the article:

another one

There may be "one face at the border," but it's working too much overtime, not getting enough training and has no voice in how to get the job done. It's all adding up to fatigue and poor morale.

Comment

• sap123
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2008

Wow, pretty tough guy approach here. If you and I meet face to face then you can take this hardline approach with me, but I will not play into your internet badass persona.

I was an English major, and graduated cum laude, I am very aware of citing reputable sources. Wiki is more reputable source than some out there, believe me.

Here is a link to the article:

another one

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111302007.html
        'Believing you' isn't going to cut it. I'm sorry, but you can't use Wikipedia as a reputable source for lots of things, academia included. It's possible you're giving out third-rate information (at best) on a website that lots of people frequent and use as a place to get information to answer their questions; To try to pass Wikipedia off as credible here is borderline irresponsible. It doesn't work in academia at all, and it doesn't work in the court of law. The wiki link cites a incredibly biased blogger website over a supposed DHS memo that was released last year. The alleged memo was sent in response to a certain report being released at the time. That report is here: http://www.fhcs2006.opm.gov/ I'll let readers use that and make their own decisions.

Your washington post article is a little bit more worthy of discussion, and I think it would be interesting to look into to see the connections. There are some obvious ones (low pay, lots of overtime), but can someone really equate that to a 10% attrition rate? I personally don't think that potential CBPOs don't know about these 'downsides' of the job upon taking it, so I'm a bit skeptical to say the least. Also, it's important to point out that these articles you are referring to are relatively old in appearance. Things could have changed, they might not have, there's no way to say (unless there's more reporting). And I'm still looking around for that November 2007 GAO report you referred to in the original post. If someone finds it, I'd like a link please.
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• DD214
          CBPO Hopeful
          • Jul 2008

I know we are all gung ho here about getting selected, but has anyone else but me ever thought of the potential to really dislike this job? From what I understand they make you work 16 hour days, management is poor, and check out this attrition rate from wikipedia:

A November 2007 Government Accountability Office report showed that low staffing, training, and overwork is a large problem within CBP, and an average of 71 officers leave the service every two weeks.

I am frankly a little bit nervous making a large commitement to an agency that does not take care of you. Anyone else have a little trepidation?
          Just some facts to consider…

If it is true that an average of 71 officers are leaving every two weeks; based on a work force of 56,500 employees that is only a 3.23% annual attrition rate. That’s not bad when you consider that the national civilian turn-over rate is about 14.4% in corporate America. It just goes to show that you can play statistics to your own benefit.

I’m only a candidate like you, so I cannot speak about CBPO experience. What I have found is that there is BS in EVERY job that is out there. My advice, try it. You never know, you may love it. If not, you could always change careers. If it’s as bad as some of the reports you’ve read, you could possibly be the one instrument of change that can make it better.

But to answer your question: yes I’m nervous about starting this process. Change is scary.
          Three's the charm, right?

Comment

• deyosurf19
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DD214
            Just some facts to consider…

If it is true that an average of 71 officers are leaving every two weeks; based on a work force of 56,500 employees that is only a 3.23% annual attrition rate. That’s not bad when you consider that the national civilian turn-over rate is about 14.4% in corporate America. It just goes to show that you can play statistics to your own benefit.

I’m only a candidate like you, so I cannot speak about CBPO experience. What I have found is that there is BS in EVERY job that is out there. My advice, try it. You never know, you may love it. If not, you could always change careers. If it’s as bad as some of the reports you’ve read, you could possibly be the one instrument of change that can make it better.

But to answer your question: yes I’m nervous about starting this process. Change is scary.
            I am not bashing the job at all. I have my offer letter sitting in front of me and things I did not really think about before started to make my mind stir.

You are right though about trying it out, I guess desk jobs are a dime a dozen, this may be our only chance to really have a cool job, and exact a bit of change.

Gonna give my two week notice tomorrow, and call in to my duty station to get all the details for reporting.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

• DD214
              CBPO Hopeful
              • Jul 2008

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
              Words to live by!
              Three's the charm, right?

Comment

• depezhe
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2008

I know we are all gung ho here about getting selected, but has anyone else but me ever thought of the potential to really dislike this job? From what I understand they make you work 16 hour days, management is poor, and check out this attrition rate from wikipedia:

A November 2007 Government Accountability Office report showed that low staffing, training, and overwork is a large problem within CBP, and an average of 71 officers leave the service every two weeks.

I am frankly a little bit nervous making a large commitement to an agency that does not take care of you. Anyone else have a little trepidation?
                You are correct my friend. In my local port the situation is just like you just described it. Take the job only if you like it. it is not an easy job. Even though you may no do nothing interesting for hours you have to work the double shifts sometimes. For some reason I like the job, thus I will try my chances.
                TESTED: 3/21 EL CENTRO,CA
                NOR: 4/21 - 92 (N/V) GS7
                QUALIFICATIONS: COMPLETED (8/15)
                GEO PREFERENCE: ANDRADE AZ/ CALEXICO CA
                PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:COMPLETED (5/29)
                MEDICAL: COMPLETED(7/17)
                FITNESS: COMPLETED(7/24)
                VBT: (CALEXICO, CA) COMPLETED (7/22)
                DRUG TEST: COMPLETED (7/25)
                BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator (9/15) case sent to adjudicator(10/7)

Comment

• ArmouredSainT
                  Defender of Brain Cells
                  • Nov 2005

In a few years, the job will pay you 70k/yr and provide health benefits to you and your family. Coming from a local police background, the job is boring. However, since taking this job I have a nice home, healthy family, ONE new car, and all kinds of cool stuff like cell phones, cable, dsl, and etc. Before, I rented a small shack, went on wick temporarily, had supervisors who routinely f'd with you, and I remember putting on my uniform to buy food at a discount because two additional part time jobs were not enough. So ask yourself what do you want, a steady job to support your family and never get fired or someplace where you can bitch and complain about everything? If its the latter, go to MacDonalds.
                  Last edited by ArmouredSainT; 09-03-2008, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• viper_pr
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by ArmouredSainT
                    In a few years, the job will pay you 70k/yr and provide health benefits to you and your family. Coming from a local police background, the job is boring. However, since taking this job I have a nice home, healthy family, ONE new car, and all kinds of cool stuff like cell phones, cable, dsl, and etc. Before, I rented a small shack, went on wick temporarily, had supervisors who routinely f'd with you, and I remember putting on my uniform to buy food at a discount because two additional part time jobs were not enough. So ask yourself what do you want, a steady job to support your family and never get fired or someplace where you can bitch and complain about everything? If its the latter, go to MacDonalds.
                    I agree with you in many things. I've been a CBPO for almost 4 yrs now and before CBP, I was a Criminal Investigator. I saw my payroll tripled after just 2 yrs with CBP. Of course, that's including over-time work of 14 to 15 hrs days. I'm very happy that I can provide better things to my family like good schools, health insurance and a brand new home. We have to understand that CBP it's basically a new agency that it is evolving in a good way for all of us. Changes are hard for some people and I can see that with some legacy officers (US Customs vs. INS). I predict that after most of those officers retire, CBP will be a great agency. Many are leaving, but at the same time CBP is hiring more new CBPO's. Here in my port we are short staffed as well, but compromise is the factor when we deal with our homeland safety. I'm not on the streets anymore chasing bad guys. Here they come to me; and thanks to the experience that I have, it helped me land a different investigative position within CBP.

Comment

• merlin436
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2005

CBP may have 56K+ employeees but there's only roughly 18K CBPO's.

The 71 officers leaving each payperiod is old news. With the new 20 year retirement in place that number will drop markably.

Comment

• merlin436
                        Forum Member
                        • Mar 2005

Another thing to consider about the 71 officers leaving per payperiod is the fact that in many locations CBP hired a great deal of people in the 55+ age range...especially in 02-04. These folks came in looking to only work 3...5...10 years at the most. They were/are leaving regardless of CBP's problems.

With the new retirement virtually no one comes in over the age of 36. Nearly all will be looking to do 20+ and out. Things will have to change just to accomadate the fact that the over 36 crowd is unavailable to hire, IMO.

Comment

• WFM1125
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2008

Is there ANY way to get an update on status after receiving my scores? This waiting game is driving me insane!
                          CBPO
                          TESTED: 07/25/08
                          NOR: 08/04/08
                          TO:
                          PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS -
                          MEDICAL -
                          FITNESS -
                          VBT -
                          QUALS -
                          DRUG TEST -
                          BI -

Comment

• barnaj
                            Forum Member
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by WFM1125
                            Is there ANY way to get an update on status after receiving my scores? This waiting game is driving me insane!
                            Have you recieved a t.o. packet in the mail yet? If not the only way would be to check cass and if you show up in there, that means a t.o. is on the way.

Comment

• shawal16
                              Forum Member
                              • Mar 2008

You have a long way to go..if waiting is already driving you insane. I tested in March (see my timeline) I'm still waiting to EOD.

Comment

• barnaj
                                Forum Member
                                • Jan 2007

Also, have you recieved your NOR's? I notice in your timeline that you didnt list a test score.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20797 users online. 61 members and 20736 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...