300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by audi0xpl0de View Post
    You have to score 210 out of 300. You can miss shots but you'll have to compensate by hitting the target in the 5 point area. They are paper targets with point areas of 3,4, and 5. You're shooting 60 rounds so do the math. Yes, that is the weapon.
    Out of curiosity, how big is the 5 point area? Softball size? I mean, if I'm going to do all this running and getting into shape, then I should probably devote some time to my shooting skills while I'm at it, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtStyx View Post
      Out of curiosity, how big is the 5 point area? Softball size? I mean, if I'm going to do all this running and getting into shape, then I should probably devote some time to my shooting skills while I'm at it, right?
      The five point area is actually quite big. I would not worry too much about firearms.

Comment

No.

I've yet to hear from someone in firearms who prefers new hires with previous firearms experience.

They'd much rather see "virgins".

They're looking to train people the "FLETC way". It's much easier to do that if you don't have any previous experience. There's no bad habits or other styles of training to unlearn that way.

If you really feel the need to practice with a pistol, learn to field strip it, clean it and load magazines. Stay away from shooting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
          No.

I've yet to hear from someone in firearms who prefers new hires with previous firearms experience.

They'd much rather see "virgins".

They're looking to train people the "FLETC way". It's much easier to do that if you don't have any previous experience. There's no bad habits or other styles of training to unlearn that way.

If you really feel the need to practice with a pistol, learn to field strip it, clean it and load magazines. Stay away from shooting it.

Much too late for that Merlin. I've shot pistols and rifles all of my life. My own weapons I can field strip and clean without a problem. I was being sarcastic and using this as a reason to give my wife of why I need to go out shooting AGAIN. So let's keep this post a secret from her, OK? On the other hand, I completely understand the logic in the ease of training "virgins" as opposed to someone who thinks they already know it all.

Comment

Much too late for that Merlin. I've shot pistols and rifles all of my life. My own weapons I can field strip and clean without a problem. I was being sarcastic and using this as a reason to give my wife of why I need to go out shooting AGAIN. So let's keep this post a secret from her, OK? On the other hand, I completely understand the logic in the ease of training "virgins" as opposed to someone who thinks they already know it all.
            So I guess IDPA on Saturdays In the Brunswick area would be a bad idea.
            Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
            Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

• Originally posted by audi0xpl0de View Post
              You have to score 210 out of 300. You can miss shots but you'll have to compensate by hitting the target in the 5 point area. They are paper targets with point areas of 3,4, and 5. You're shooting 60 rounds so do the math. Yes, that is the weapon.
              You needed to shoot a 240 to pass in the past. They shoot the 150 course now and nearly no one fails that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thek9 View Post
                So I guess IDPA on Saturdays In the Brunswick area would be a bad idea.
                Not really - if you can shoot, it's not like you are going to fail the course of fire. You just have more bad habits to break for the instructors.

Comment

• There are many ways to fail FLETC. The simplest would be DUI. During the week the day starts at 5.45am, ends at 6pm; which leaves very little time for anything else. Good time management is paramount. Some people try to compensate for the extra stress by parting extra hard on weekends…

Academics are easy but the amount coming at you is staggering. CBP has the most difficult academic curriculum at FLECT. Why? Because of the scope of the job. Most agencies deal with one kind of the law. CBPOs deal with Title 6 (Homeland Security), Title 8 (Immigration), Title 19 (Customs), Title 18 and 21 (Criminal law).

There are 8 written tests, you can have 3 make up exams, but no more than one per test.

There are 16 practical exercises, where you have to apply the knowledge to a real life scenario – each can be repeated twice, you have a ‘bank’ on 10 extra attempts you can use.

Shooting eats people. Before going to the range they will give you a safety briefing. They mean it. Point your gun at someone (even by accident) while out there and the instructor will kick you out, just like that. You will be on a bus going home the next day.

Last are injuries. You will have 32 sessions of Officer Tactical Response. Basically someone will try to kill you with a plastic knife, or wrestle you, or kick you, or fricken tickle you for two hours. After 15 minutes you will feel exhausted. After 2 hours you will be in a ‘zombie mode’ – tired to a point where all you want and care about is sleep. If you are injured that difficult training will become almost unbearable.

Current failure rate is about 20%

Come prepared and FLETC can be fun. Otherwise… good luck!
                  CBPO Timeline
                  Geo: Virginia and D.C. Test: 12/10/08
                  NOR: 12/20/08 (86%) TO: 02/02/09
                  Forms: 02/11/09 VBT: 02/25/09
                  Medical: 03/03/09 Fitness: 03/03/09
                  Drug Test: 03/12/09 Qualifications: 03/26/09
                  BI: 04/09/09 (my B-day gift!)
                  Met with Investigator: 04/15/09 TSU: 04/10/09
                  The Call: 05/01/09 10.30am
                  EOD: 06/01/09 -- Dulles Airport
                  FLETC: 07/01/09 -- Class 957
                  Graduation: 10/14/09

Comment

• Originally posted by jwm0516 View Post
                    You needed to shoot a 240 to pass in the past. They shoot the 150 course now and nearly no one fails that one.
                    They are back to the 300 course now.

Comment

• 300 point course, 210 to qualify. It's damn hard not to shoot a 210.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        If you've a current TO for a GS-07 position and have passed the GS-07 qualifications, you're a "shoe-in".

The GS-07 hangup involves:
                        1: getting a TO
                        and
                        2: passing GS-07 quals

Probably the vast majority of people who ask for GS-07 slots eventually get one. The keyword being eventually. GS-05's are the default offer. GS-07's require an available slot...and enhanced qualifications. Waiting for a GS-07 slot and waiting for the adjudication of GS-07 qualifications typically takes more time than going with a GS-05. Sometimes...much more time.
                        Hmmmm....interesting. Thanks yet agian Merlin....

Comment

• Originally posted by AmahastPL View Post
                          There are many ways to fail FLETC. The simplest would be DUI. During the week the day starts at 5.45am, ends at 6pm; which leaves very little time for anything else. Good time management is paramount. Some people try to compensate for the extra stress by parting extra hard on weekends…

Academics are easy but the amount coming at you is staggering. CBP has the most difficult academic curriculum at FLECT. Why? Because of the scope of the job. Most agencies deal with one kind of the law. CBPOs deal with Title 6 (Homeland Security), Title 8 (Immigration), Title 19 (Customs), Title 18 and 21 (Criminal law).

There are 8 written tests, you can have 3 make up exams, but no more than one per test.

There are 16 practical exercises, where you have to apply the knowledge to a real life scenario – each can be repeated twice, you have a ‘bank’ on 10 extra attempts you can use.

Shooting eats people. Before going to the range they will give you a safety briefing. They mean it. Point your gun at someone (even by accident) while out there and the instructor will kick you out, just like that. You will be on a bus going home the next day.

Last are injuries. You will have 32 sessions of Officer Tactical Response. Basically someone will try to kill you with a plastic knife, or wrestle you, or kick you, or fricken tickle you for two hours. After 15 minutes you will feel exhausted. After 2 hours you will be in a ‘zombie mode’ – tired to a point where all you want and care about is sleep. If you are injured that difficult training will become almost unbearable.

Current failure rate is about 20%

Come prepared and FLETC can be fun. Otherwise… good luck!
                          Officer Tactical Response is what I'm worried about. Is there anywhere that I can read up on this?
                          CBPO
                          GEO - NY/JFK
                          TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
                          PE Forms - Completed
                          Fitness - Completed
                          VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                          Drug Screen - Completed
                          Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                          B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                          Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                          TSU

EOD: ???
                          FLETC: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
                            Officer Tactical Response is what I'm worried about. Is there anywhere that I can read up on this?
                            Not really. That's all law enforcement sensitive and can't be disclosed. They are really strict on that.

Comment

• is there anything online that allows us to read up on all the laws covered in fletc? (Title 6 (Homeland Security), Title 8 (Immigration), Title 19 (Customs), Title 18 and 21 (Criminal law). )
                              CBPO

Comment

• Originally posted by anthony30 View Post
                                is there anything online that allows us to read up on all the laws covered in fletc? (Title 6 (Homeland Security), Title 8 (Immigration), Title 19 (Customs), Title 18 and 21 (Criminal law). )
                                Don't bother. Just work on being fit so you don't get injured. Everything else will fall into place. The Classroom stuff is not hard if you take the time to study.
                                Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12980 users online. 448 members and 12532 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X