Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
    Originally Posted by Don951
    I've been told by those who got hired by CBP that it's like "TSA w/ a gun". Is this true? I really hope not. CBP seems like a big step up from TSA.

    A friend of mine who in the past worked for TSA and now works as a CBPO for SF/OAK calls CBP "TSA with a gun". He works at SFO and says all he does is sit in a booth and process people all day. He actually said time went by faster working for TSA because they rotated more often. He also claims that everything he learned in FLETC was a waste. Overall, he said he likes working for CBP more than TSA which was the one thing positive I pulled out of our conversation. He is not disgruntled yet, but I could see that changing.

    nothing can be worse than TSA
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bhov97 View Post
      I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction please. I was wondering if anyone had the link to the e-quip site?(you know the info u provide to your BI) Is there way I could print another copy of it?
      TIA
      -B
      http://www.opm.gov/e-QIP/

      But if memory serves you cannot access it again once you submit it to your agency. After you put in your SSN, your golden questions will be different than you made up.
      Last edited by barnaj; 07-08-2009, 09:37 AM.

      Comment


      • There is any easy way to avoid the "TSA with a gun" crap.

        Go work the southern border.

        I doubt anyone working in Calexico, Laredo, et. al. can be honestly compared to TSA.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by pendingville View Post
          are you wa state all others or wa norhtern border?

          i'm wa all others, tsu since 03/05
          I am in TSU for WA Northern Border, since 6/11/09.
          _____________
          CBPO - Washington Northern Border
          Test: 2/27/2009
          NOR: 3/09/09 (81% w/o vet.)
          TO: 4/09/09
          Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
          TSU: 6/11/09

          Comment


          • Originally posted by ford123 View Post
            Maybe you should reconsider your plans then...

            You should believe what your friend tells you, no?
            Why would I reconsider my plans? this post was not about me, it was about Don951s question. I am not the one who asked the question, Don951 is the one who asked the question, maybe you should ask him that question. I know what I am getting myself into, sounds like Don951 does not.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              There is any easy way to avoid the "TSA with a gun" crap.

              Go work the southern border.

              I doubt anyone working in Calexico, Laredo, et. al. can be honestly compared to TSA.
              I think it's really hard to avoid the TSA comparison. Unfortunately, it's always going to be there.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Don951 View Post
                I've been told by those who got hired by CBP that it's like "TSA w/ a gun". Is this true? I really hope not. CBP seems like a big step up from TSA.
                If that were true they would teach rapping,mixing and scratching at FLETC. Also Do-rags would be part of the issued uniform.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7AWw7t5zj0

                Comment


                • There are 327 ports and over 20000 Officers in CBP/OFO.

                  If you're looking for a port and/or Officers that are "TSA with a gun", you can find it. If you're looking for a landborder port where people sit about 7 hours a day watching TV and wait for the 0-10 cars to come through per shift, you can find that too. On the flip side, they are plenty of ports that will keep you real busy doing far more than "TSA" work.

                  In other words...you can pretty much find anything you want in CBP/OFO. It's that big and varied. "TSA with a gun" is an awfully narrow brush to be painting most CBPO's with though.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                    http://www.opm.gov/e-QIP/

                    But if memory serves you cannot access it again once you submit it to your agency. After you put in your SSN, your golden questions will be different than you made up.
                    u were right thanks anyways barnaj!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bhov97 View Post
                      I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction please. I was wondering if anyone had the link to the e-quip site?(you know the info u provide to your BI) Is there way I could print another copy of it?
                      TIA
                      -B
                      When you complete the e-QIP forms it tells you to print it out and to make a copy for you to keep in your records. You can:
                      a) Make a copy of the Print out
                      b) Save the web page and have it as a digital "archived" version (where you can open view/print as much as you want).

                      At this point if you didn't do either, you are out of luck...


                      As to the TSA comments...
                      There is NO comparison between the 2, they are two very different jobs, with unique responsibilities. Where as a CBPO you have actual authority as a LEO, and TSA has NONE what so ever. Granted that CBPO's will have different experiences at what ever POE they are assigned, but making a statement like that is simply irresponsible, and paints a negative light onto the agency. I am not an Officer, but I do have friends that are CBPO's, one of them just came back from DC not long ago from SRT training...
                      "TSA with a gun" what a joke!... Those who think like that should reconsider their options, and if they don't like what they are doing, then get out. Plenty of new applicants willing to do the job you think is so "horrible", or simply do as Merlin said... go for a Southern Border Crossing POE so that your day is "FULL" of action and no "TSA like" activities!
                      CBPO
                      Written: 08/29/2007
                      EOD: July 11, 2011

                      Comment


                      • I am not sure if I missed the post but, anyone know how many years in order to qualify for overseas seaport duty (for CSI)? Do you need seaport credentials in order to work at the seaport overseas or can I jump from land border?
                        _____________
                        CBPO - Washington Northern Border
                        Test: 2/27/2009
                        NOR: 3/09/09 (81% w/o vet.)
                        TO: 4/09/09
                        Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                        TSU: 6/11/09

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          There are 327 ports and over 20000 Officers in CBP/OFO.

                          If you're looking for a port and/or Officers that are "TSA with a gun", you can find it. If you're looking for a landborder port where people sit about 7 hours a day watching TV and wait for the 0-10 cars to come through per shift, you can find that too. On the flip side, they are plenty of ports that will keep you real busy doing far more than "TSA" work.

                          In other words...you can pretty much find anything you want in CBP/OFO. It's that big and varied. "TSA with a gun" is an awfully narrow brush to be painting most CBPO's with though.
                          It's unfortunate, but the comparison is going to made over and over again by people. The worst part is the “TSA with a gun” comments I have heard came from CBPO’s.

                          Comment


                          • Just received a card in the mail asking me to report to Newton, MA Police (my hometown) from my score off the 2007 Civil service exam, they are hiring 6 permanent full time officers.

                            Went in yesterday got all the paperwork and will be filling it out and gathering all my stuff for it this week, that's why I asked to see if I could get my info from e-qip, but oh well just gotta start from scratch...

                            I also have to re-do the fitness portion for CBPO this month as well. I have been in TSU since 11/14/2008

                            July should be one hell of a month for me lol

                            First come first served, I always say.

                            What do u you guys think CBPO or Local PD???

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Khue View Post
                              I am not sure if I missed the post but, anyone know how many years in order to qualify for overseas seaport duty (for CSI)? Do you need seaport credentials in order to work at the seaport overseas or can I jump from land border?
                              At minimum you have to be a GS-11.

                              CSI positions are usually very competitive, expect to be working as an 11 for a while before you build up enough experience to compete. Yes...it's possible to jump into CSI slots with only land border experience.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                At minimum you have to be a GS-11.

                                CSI positions are usually very competitive, expect to be working as an 11 for a while before you build up enough experience to compete. Yes...it's possible to jump into CSI slots with only land border experience.
                                Good to know. Thanks again, Merlin.
                                _____________
                                CBPO - Washington Northern Border
                                Test: 2/27/2009
                                NOR: 3/09/09 (81% w/o vet.)
                                TO: 4/09/09
                                Background: Met with BI on 6/18/09
                                TSU: 6/11/09

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 10531 users online. 384 members and 10147 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X