Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAX/ LB people!!! If you can, put your TSU date and how many days you are waiting.. so we all know what's going on!!!!!

TSU 7/2/09 - 1 day

Comment

• Come outtttt this sticks
      Written: 12-11-08
      Medical: 3-28-09 Pending
      B.I.: 5-21-09 pending

Comment

• Day Three at FLETC

I must admit now that the hiring process finally starts to make sense. During the pre-academy we spent 4 weeks feeling like 5th wheel on a car… completely useless. They would have us watch videos, or study, direct passengers, or do basic stuff like Immigration Packets. It was all done on purpose – they’ve made it as low key as possible to allow us to ‘assimilate’ and observe actual officers as much as possible…

FLETC is different then expected – it is an ex-air force base, surrounded by chained link fence with barbed wire, perimeter, and 8 foot concrete wall. It is pretty large too. People arrived the day before classes were to start, were assigned housing (I’ve ended up at Taj), got something to eat (chicken, what else?) and went to sleep. It has taken me 15 hours of driving to get to FLETC from NJ so needless to say I was pretty spent by 9pm.

First day… think first day of college combined with scenes from Full Metal Jacket. Our coordinator (ex patrol cop, ex port director) can yell, oh boy, he can. He even frightens stuff personnel who should be accustomed to his way of… communication. First day you meet a lot of people… it is a big orientation day and everyone who will have something to do with your training stops by to introduce themselves.

One of the first things that will happen; you will be made to understand just how important the job of a CBPO really is. Not that I didn’t know that beforehand, but when spelled all out in one place it really makes you think about it. We have to win every time. Terrorists need to get lucky only once. These people here really make you realize and become aware of what CBP and law enforcement is all about.

At the end of the first day we got issued our smurfs… which turned out to be not so bad after all. You get three shirts, three pairs of pants, a light jacket, and some shorts. Yes, all that arrives as a big bundle. Yes, it does take 5 hours to iron everything nice and smooth.

There is a 24 hour Walmart in Brunswick which doubles as a local meeting place, town square, and a hang out spot. At times it seems like 85% of people inside are from FLETC…
        Last edited by AmahastPL; 07-03-2009, 04:26 AM.
        CBPO Timeline
        Geo: Virginia and D.C. Test: 12/10/08
        NOR: 12/20/08 (86%) TO: 02/02/09
        Forms: 02/11/09 VBT: 02/25/09
        Medical: 03/03/09 Fitness: 03/03/09
        Drug Test: 03/12/09 Qualifications: 03/26/09
        BI: 04/09/09 (my B-day gift!)
        Met with Investigator: 04/15/09 TSU: 04/10/09
        The Call: 05/01/09 10.30am
        EOD: 06/01/09 -- Dulles Airport
        FLETC: 07/01/09 -- Class 957
        Graduation: 10/14/09

Comment

• Day two:

It was all about history of the CBP, how it came to be, which events shaped it, pretty much History Channel special on steroids. A little about the facilities: each CBP class has its own classroom. You have your own desk with your name plaque on it, and get issued a pile of books which could put all the Yellow Pages of California taken together to shame. Classes start at 7.30, which means you have to be there ready at 7.20.The Taj is about a mile away from the Chow Hall, which means one has to take a bus to get there. That implies you need to get up at 5.45am to shave, get ready, and catch a bus at approx. 6.30am

Drinks are allowed in class (in bottles or cups with lids) – it would be damn tough without my coffee

Uniform is to be ironed, shoes shined, brass buckle polished… God have mercy on you if you’ll get caught with an infraction…

Second day you also get issued your leather stuff: two belts (under belt and patrol belt), holster, plastic P2000 replica gun, cuffs, OC spray, all the good stuff. It takes about 30 minutes to put it all together and I bet you after class there was a whole bunch of guys in their dorm rooms standing in front of the mirror, plastic gun in hand, playing John Wayne or uttering ‘Do you feel lucky, punk?’

Food: all the rumors about the FLETC chicken are true. I’ve seen beef-chicken, and fish-chicken. They can make it look and smell like anything they want. It will still taste like chicken thou. The cafeteria is a large building, and the food to be honest with you is pretty good. There is always plenty of choice: salad bar, grill, or the main entrée. Wednesday was supposedly the steak day, although I’m still suspicious that it might have been cleverly disguised chicken… There is no limit on quantity… if you wanted to you could dine on cheesecake all day long

Weather is, for the lack of a better word, nuts! It is hot, damn hot, with humidity approaching 100%. And yes, they’ll schedule your 1.5 mile run at something like 2.30 pm. Pretty clever, huh?

Last comment: there is wireless net in the Taj but it costs $80 for 3 months. You get 500kb/s connection… kind of like DSL… I’ve fought with myself for 2 days then took my MasterCard out and paid… borderline extortion, dammit!
          CBPO Timeline
          Geo: Virginia and D.C. Test: 12/10/08
          NOR: 12/20/08 (86%) TO: 02/02/09
          Forms: 02/11/09 VBT: 02/25/09
          Medical: 03/03/09 Fitness: 03/03/09
          Drug Test: 03/12/09 Qualifications: 03/26/09
          BI: 04/09/09 (my B-day gift!)
          Met with Investigator: 04/15/09 TSU: 04/10/09
          The Call: 05/01/09 10.30am
          EOD: 06/01/09 -- Dulles Airport
          FLETC: 07/01/09 -- Class 957
          Graduation: 10/14/09

Comment

• Mmmm...that makes me miss FLETC. Good ole FLETC chicken...good ole melting in the nice hot sun.

Unfortunately you're missing spring. It's still plenty warm then...and that's when you get to do the 5-6 mile runs sucking in that sweet Georgia pollen... which clogs up your lungs, throat and otherwise makes it feel like you're breathing an hour's worth of saw dust.

Comment

• Originally posted by AmahastPL View Post
              Day two:

It was all about history of the CBP, how it came to be, which events shaped it, pretty much History Channel special on steroids. A little about the facilities: each CBP class has its own classroom. You have your own desk with your name plaque on it, and get issued a pile of books which could put all the Yellow Pages of California taken together to shame. Classes start at 7.30, which means you have to be there ready at 7.20.The Taj is about a mile away from the Chow Hall, which means one has to take a bus to get there. That implies you need to get up at 5.45am to shave, get ready, and catch a bus at approx. 6.30am

Drinks are allowed in class (in bottles or cups with lids) – it would be damn tough without my coffee

Uniform is to be ironed, shoes shined, brass buckle polished… God have mercy on you if you’ll get caught with an infraction…

Second day you also get issued your leather stuff: two belts (under belt and patrol belt), holster, plastic P2000 replica gun, cuffs, OC spray, all the good stuff. It takes about 30 minutes to put it all together and I bet you after class there was a whole bunch of guys in their dorm rooms standing in front of the mirror, plastic gun in hand, playing John Wayne or uttering ‘Do you feel lucky, punk?’

Food: all the rumors about the FLETC chicken are true. I’ve seen beef-chicken, and fish-chicken. They can make it look and smell like anything they want. It will still taste like chicken thou. The cafeteria is a large building, and the food to be honest with you is pretty good. There is always plenty of choice: salad bar, grill, or the main entrée. Wednesday was supposedly the steak day, although I’m still suspicious that it might have been cleverly disguised chicken… There is no limit on quantity… if you wanted to you could dine on cheesecake all day long

Weather is, for the lack of a better word, nuts! It is hot, damn hot, with humidity approaching 100%. And yes, they’ll schedule your 1.5 mile run at something like 2.30 pm. Pretty clever, huh?

Last comment: there is wireless net in the Taj but it costs $80 for 3 months. You get 500kb/s connection… kind of like DSL… I’ve fought with myself for 2 days then took my MasterCard out and paid… borderline extortion, dammit!
              Whats all this baloney about yelling and polished belt buckles!? Things changed that much since '07 when i went? And ironing the smurfs? Come on gimme a break man. How they supposed to not be wrinkled after 2-4 hours crammed in a p.t. locker the size of a shoe box?

Comment

• Hi guys! I just registered on this forum but I've kept up with a lot of the posts here for a few weeks now. Very helpful information, thanks to all who have contributed. Congrats to those who have made it far!

Well, here we go. I'm in the same boat as a lot of you, in the process of becoming a CBP Officer. My timeline is very close to PureLife's, except he met with his BI about a week before I did. I kept basing myself off of his progress since I saw that we both tested the same day for the same location (Laredo, TX).

Now, I met with my investigator last week and got a call from him last night. He asked for an extra reference of a coworker from my last job (not my current one), and a college professor contact. My work reference was contacted, no problem there. The problem comes in with my professor. I took a class with him back in 2006 so he probably didn't remember me, even after meeting with him a few days earlier prior to my BI's arrival. He denied knowing me or having me in his class

Great.

Should that be a problem? Will my wait-time increase because of it?

Thank you mucho and nice to meet all of you!
                "Veni, vidi, vici."

CBPO
                TEST - 03/02/09
                NOR - 03/05/09 (95%)
                TO - 04/06/09
                FORMS - 04/21/09
                MED/FIT - 04/29/09
                DRUG TEST - 05/05/09
                QUALS - 05/12/09 (GS-5)
                VBT - 05/21/09 passed 06/12/09
                BI - Met 06/24/09 cleared 08/14/09
                TSU - 08/14/09
                The "Call" - 01/14/11
                EOD - 02/07/11
                FLETC - 02/23/11 - 06/28/11

BPA
                TEST - 12/13/10
                NOR - 12/20/10 (93%)

"Find something you would be willing to die for and live for that."

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                  Whats all this baloney about yelling and polished belt buckles!? Things changed that much since '07 when i went? And ironing the smurfs? Come on gimme a break man. How they supposed to not be wrinkled after 2-4 hours crammed in a p.t. locker the size of a shoe box?
                  All depends on the instructors and coordinators that you get. My class coordinator didn't care much but my pt instructor would check our belt buckles everyday and if one person's didn't look good enough it was time for pushups and flutter kicks.

Comment

• Originally posted by TexasCBP View Post
                    TX54- I also applied for East TX and had to sent medical docs to clear me. I sent in my docs about two weeks ago and still cass has not updated.

Have you thought about calling or sending an email?

Hey there TexasCBP, i have thought about it but havent made the call but noticing how things can fall through the cracks around here i may just do that.

By the way - how does that work-East texas consists of around 6 or 7 cities do they have you pick some choices when it comes down to getting the "call"? Im guessing its just whatever is available. TexasCBP where are you wanting to go in East Texas?
                    TSU since 07/10/2009

Comment

• Originally posted by Peteylaw06 View Post
                      Day 1 in TSU for East Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the true test begins.

WMC, I take it you still are waiting, it must be more than 6 months already...

Peteylaw06 How long have you been in this process? Where are you hoping to go in East Tx?
                      TSU since 07/10/2009

Comment

• Originally posted by AmahastPL View Post
                        That guy is now stuck in line waiting for his second helping of the fabulous chicken they serve us here at FLETC
                        hey welcome to FLETC

Comment

• Originally posted by audi0xpl0de View Post
                          All depends on the instructors and coordinators that you get. My class coordinator didn't care much but my pt instructor would check our belt buckles everyday and if one person's didn't look good enough it was time for pushups and flutter kicks.
                          Of course on the other hand, we didnt see out p.t. instructor until we were already changed into p.t. gear and as far as "belt buckles" i dont recall wearing a belt other than the duty belt which aint much to shine. I think some people like to embelish slightly on the difficulty of fletc.

Comment

Of course on the other hand, we didnt see out p.t. instructor until we were already changed into p.t. gear and as far as "belt buckles" i dont recall wearing a belt other than the duty belt which aint much to shine. I think some people like to embelish slightly on the difficulty of fletc.
                            I can definitely see that coming from many posts on here.

Comment

I don't think FLETC is difficult at all. To me is exactly like college all over again. With the new training we wore BDU shorts with our duty belts for all PT sessions.

Comment

• Does anyone know if there is a break for Christmas? Now that I have been temporarily removed from TSU, I am looking at what if possibilities. I would hate to be away from my family and especially my children. I will do what I have to do in the end but I would like to prepare them, so it wont be so hard for them having mommy gone for Christmas.
                                Tested March 08
                                TO June 08
                                Medical COMPLETE 12/08
                                VBT complete 08 passed
                                Qualification GS-5 September 08
                                BI September 08 complete April 09

FITNESS REDO AUG 7TH FAILED
                                NOW IT IS TIME TO START ALL OVER AGAIN

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11084 users online. 419 members and 10665 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X