300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by buenhec
    So who here, would leave a high hour, high stress job making over 90k, with a car allowance, lots of political BS with a dwindling 401k and an uncertain future to go to CBP or ICE and start as a GS5, carry a gun, retire in 20 and have a pretty secure job in todays market.
    If by ICE you mean IEA then you'd start as a GL-05.

Depending on location, either job might have the serious potential to be paying out 90K+ in 3-5 years.

No car allowance...but go IEA and there's a good chance you might get a take-home vehicle.

Forget the gun...how many of your friends park a prisoner transport van in their driveway?

Comment

• Originally posted by soto2635 View Post
      i would be transfering over from TSA
      I trasf. through TSA to CBP and qual for GS7 because of prior security exp. as long as you have 1 year of specialized exp. you get GS7. I DID.
      CBP florida

Comment

• Recieved NOR Aug of 08...Waiting for BI to clear. Aug 09 is coming real fast. What happens if Aug 09 comes and my BI has not cleared???

Comment

• Originally posted by meskismcbp View Post
          Recieved NOR Aug of 08...Waiting for BI to clear. Aug 09 is coming real fast. What happens if Aug 09 comes and my BI has not cleared???
          Short answer .... nothing

You NOR is just to notify you of your test score. Your test score is to get you a TO. You have the TO, so nothing to worry about as far as that. If you were asking about Med / Fit it would be a different story. They are good for one year and if longer than one year, you will have to complete the section again.
          CBPO East Texas
          TO: 3/3/09
          Pre-Emp Forms: 3/26/09
          Fitness: 4/6/09 -Passed
          Medical: 4/6/09 -Passed
          VBT: 4/7/09 -Passed
          Quals: (GS-7) 4/10/09 -Verified
          Drug Test: 4/17/09 -Passed
          BI: 8/27/09 -Cleared
          TSU: 8/27/09
          FCRA: 05/19/10
          BI Update: 6/16/10

Comment

• Originally posted by reapplycbpo View Post
            I trasf. through TSA to CBP and qual for GS7 because of prior security exp. as long as you have 1 year of specialized exp. you get GS7. I DID.
            they told me i did qual for gs-7 and a few days ago they told me i didnt qual for gs-7 b/c i havent been at TSA a year, which i think is BS b/c im have military and still they wont let me keep gs-7 can i fight this?
            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

Comment

• Stupid question but can someone explain the different uniforms of a CBP officer? Thanks.

Comment

• hmmm?

Originally posted by reapplycbpo View Post
                ..wonder if prior reserve LEO would be considered 'specialized'..?

(NOR scored me at both levels)
                Timelines:

CBPO
                App: 2/12/09
                Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                Written: 2/20/09
                NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                App: 5/5/09
                Geo: San Diego
                Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                NOR: 7/20/09
                Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                TO: 10/6/09
                Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                App: 8/17/10
                Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

• GS-07's are not automatic. Even if you qualify for one, there's no guarantee you'll be offered one. There is a limited number of them to go around; Once they're gone...they're gone.

I don't know of a way to appeal MHC's qualification decision. Even if they're was one, it would probably be an unwise thing to do. You might delay your EOD into CBP by months, maybe years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lancer07 View Post
                    Stupid question but can someone explain the different uniforms of a CBP officer? Thanks.
                    What do you mean?

Class 1: Formal wear, pretty much not used in day to day opperations...with the possible exception of a honor guard duty.
                    Class 2: "fancy", Used in passenger processing. Mostly at airports and seaports more or less dedicated to moving people.
                    Class 3: "general", Used pretty much anywhere as work conditions dictate.
                    Class 4: Cargo BDU's, used in dedicated cargo processing and also along much of the landborder.

That's pretty much it. Unless you're pregnant, need to dress differently for religious/medical reasons or other fairly rare occurrences.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      What do you mean?

Class 1: Formal wear, pretty much not used in day to day opperations...with the possible exception of a honor guard duty.
                      Class 2: "fancy", Used in passenger processing. Mostly at airports and seaports more or less dedicated to moving people.
                      Class 3: "general", Used pretty much anywhere as work conditions dictate.
                      Class 4: Cargo BDU's, used in dedicated cargo processing and also along much of the landborder.

That's pretty much it. Unless you're pregnant, need to dress differently for religious/medical reasons or other fairly rare occurrences.
                      Merlin - pictures of the different uniforms available anywhere? Can you post a pic of someone in Class 4s? Thx in advance

Comment

there's a good chance you might get a take-home vehicle.
                        ...how many of your friends park a prisoner transport van in their driveway?
                        not sure if that's necessarily a "plus" there. I get weird enough looks from neighbors without a govn't issued ICE cream truck in my driveway.
                        Timelines:

CBPO
                        App: 2/12/09
                        Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                        Written: 2/20/09
                        NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                        TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                        App: 5/5/09
                        Geo: San Diego
                        Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                        NOR: 7/20/09
                        Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                        TO: 10/6/09
                        Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                        Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                        Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                        App: 8/17/10
                        Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                        TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

• Originally posted by colinm112 View Post
                          Merlin - pictures of the different uniforms available anywhere? Can you post a pic of someone in Class 4s? Thx in advance
                          Class 1:

The kilt is not standard.

Class 3:

Class 4:

I couldn't find an obvious class 2 uniform. The major difference between a class 2 and a class 3 is the type of material each is made from.
                          Class 2's are made from polyester and wool. Class 2's have a somewhat shiny look. Class 2 pants also have a dark stripe going down the outside of the pant leg
                          Class 3's are made from polyester and cotton. Much less shiny, no pant stripe.

Those uniforms are somewhat dated. Today's current version is a bit different.

Comment

GS-07's are not automatic. Even if you qualify for one, there's no guarantee you'll be offered one. There is a limited number of them to go around; Once they're gone...they're gone.

I don't know of a way to appeal MHC's qualification decision. Even if they're was one, it would probably be an unwise thing to do. You might delay your EOD into CBP by months, maybe years.
                            i know it just ****es me off. well my CASS still says GS-7 i guess its bound to change here soon.
                            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

Comment

• Originally posted by soto2635 View Post
                              i know it just ****es me off. well my CASS still says GS-7 i guess its bound to change here soon.
                              They're likely to pay match you. The difference between a GS-05 and a GS-07 is mostly cosmetic in your case. Most likely less than 2K, by my figuring, over the course of your career.

Comment

• The gentleman in the kilt is an instructor here at FLETC. He also plays the bagpipes at all the CBP graduations.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3837 users online. 161 members and 3676 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X