Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My geo choice was SW Border Area, as it was the only given at time I applied online. Would I be able to request for LAX/LB or maybe even ONT airport in Riverside County at some point? (if I ever get passed the NOR stage that is)

thanks
    Timelines:

CBPO
    App: 2/12/09
    Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
    Written: 2/20/09
    NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
    TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
    App: 5/5/09
    Geo: San Diego
    Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
    NOR: 7/20/09
    Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
    TO: 10/6/09
    Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
    Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
    Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
    App: 8/17/10
    Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
    TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

• Things must have really changed in ATL over the last few years then. ATL used to be a fairly large port that was chronically short-staffed.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCH View Post
        My geo choice was SW Border Area, as it was the only given at time I applied online. Would I be able to request for LAX/LB or maybe even ONT airport in Riverside County at some point? (if I ever get passed the NOR stage that is)

thanks

If you applied under a limited announcement you are stuck asking for only those ports open under the particular announcement that you applied under.

To ask for any other port, you'll have to wait until the next open nationwide or limited announcement that has the port(s) you want and reapply under that announcement. All of your pre-employment steps should carry over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reapplied View Post

Thanks, Good Info. Is time to start preparing

Oz
          CBPO-MIA/FL
          Written: 4/30/09
          NOR: 6/01/09 (82%)
          TO: pending

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
            Things must have really changed in ATL over the last few years then. ATL used to be a fairly large port that was chronically short-staffed.
            it is fairly big but not busy, they hired over 50 officers recently on top of all the officers they have and there is not enough flights that are 24hrs to compensate those officers. and FYI things have changed all over...haven't you noticed?
            These hands need your guidance!

Comment

it is fairly big but not busy, they hired over 50 officers recently on top of all the officers they have and there is not enough flights that are 24hrs to compensate those officers. and FYI things have changed all over...haven't you noticed?

Last I knew, ATL had a sky-high turnover rate. Hiring 50 officers won't be doing them much good if 60 leave in the next 6 months, which was more or less typical a few years back.

Then again, last time I was in ATL was spring of '06...so things may be different now.

Comment

I personally know atl doesn't have openings and it's not a big port like JFK or Miami it is also not a 24 hr port which gives minimal opportunity. the hiring process can be different for everyone depending on the size of the port, need and funding along with other things.
                Atlanta is THE Delta hub, It is very busy, quite large and is the Field Office for everything in the South east US.
                Delta is now the Largest Airline in the United States, try pulling up flight tracker for ATL.
                Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                  Last I knew, ATL had a sky-high turnover rate. Hiring 50 officers won't be doing them much good if 60 leave in the next 6 months, which was more or less typical a few years back.

Then again, last time I was in ATL was spring of '06...so things may be different now.
                  Well this is coming first hand that they are not dropping officers or officers are not leaving like that...I personally know this, actually they are wondering that maybe they have over hired this past fiscal year. things are slow I can understand if this was a 24 hr port then yes they are short officers but that is not the case, they only have 2 shifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
                    Atlanta is THE Delta hub, It is very busy, quite large and is the Field Office for everything in the South east US.
                    Delta is now the Largest Airline in the United States, try pulling up flight tracker for ATL.
                    I completely understand what you are saying do you understand delta handles a lot of domestic flights YES atl is the busiest airport being that it is the hub/connection flights but we are dealing with international flights indeed it is busy for domestic not for international. I was with TSA and they have thousands per hour going on flights than you have people coming in to the Customs area, right now the count is about 10k+ passengers a day for customs. Why would you doubt someone that was at that port. If you don't believe me I have 2 friends that have been in TSU for months now cause there is no openings and I have a friend that calls every week to see if ATL is hiring and every week the answer is NO.
                    Last edited by Reapplied; 06-12-2009, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I completely understand what you are saying do you understand delta handles a lot of domestic flights YES atl is the busiest airport being that it is the hub/connection flights but we are dealing with international flights indeed it is busy for domestic not for international. I was with TSA and they have thousands per hour going on flights than you have people coming in to the Customs area, right now the count is about 10k+ passengers a day for customs. Why would you doubt someone that was at that port. If you don't believe me I have 2 friends that have been in TSU for months now cause there is no openings and I have a friend that calls every week to see if ATL is hiring and every week the answer is NO.
                      I am not disputing the fact that there are currently no vacencies in ATL, I am disputing that they are a small airport for international flights. Passenger is only part of the buisness they have a large cargo operation. I know Altlanta and not from the TSA aspect.

You want small, try Chatanooga, TN. Great Falls, MT or Austin, TX.

Check out the wait times for all areas: http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/

Comment

I am not disputing the fact that there are currently no vacencies in ATL, I am disputing that they are a small airport for international flights. Passenger is only part of the buisness they have a large cargo operation. I know Altlanta and not from the TSA aspect.

I not am saying that small but the amount of passengers that come into ATL is not enough to hire 200-300 officers nor do the have a lot of turn overs I was there for at least half the year and they had only 6 people went to other agencies. The port is a decent size but the amount of traffic coming in is not a enough as miami or other passenger heavy ports. Also i used that link that you posted and picked the month of June with ALL DAYS and i totaled it up and it was like i said passenger count 11,321. Also try calculating all the JFK terminals and see what you get for the month of June.
                        Last edited by Reapplied; 06-12-2009, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Great Falls, MT is a Service Port not to be confused with a land, sea, or air port though there is an airport here were CBP's 4th air wing I believe operates from.

Comment

• What the Huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ry greve View Post
                              Great Falls, MT is a Service Port not to be confused with a land, sea, or air port though there is an airport here were CBP's 4th air wing I believe operates from.
                              My point is that as for OFO operations, Great Falls, MT is a small port of entry. The few officers assigned to the POE will tell you that they are not very big. The area port is to support the land border ports (largest being Sweetgrass). There is a AMO office at the airport, but they answer to different chain within CBP and is staffed by AIOs, pilots and support staff.

I also know each of the small ports that I mentioned personally. None of them have the work of Atlanta.

Comment

My point is that as for OFO operations, Great Falls, MT is a small port of entry. The few officers assigned to the POE will tell you that they are not very big. The area port is to support the land border ports (largest being Sweetgrass). There is a AMO office at the airport, but they answer to different chain within CBP and is staffed by AIOs, pilots and support staff.

I also know each of the small ports that I mentioned personally. None of them have the work of Atlanta.
                                I don't see how you can talk about a place you never was and witness it for yourself? I have been to atl,jfk,mia,orlando to see their activities as well know cbpo's there and might i add orlando is a big airport but you can hardly get a cbp spot there. there is not a lot of turn overs in atl they were short staffed but believe you me they are staffed as of right now. Anyway if you people think you know it all be my guest.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4468 users online. 244 members and 4224 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X