Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MontgCounty33 View Post
    Just got my NOR - scored an 87

    GEO - Philadelphia

    Is an 87 TO worthy

    I applied for both G/S 5 and G/S 7
    Well it depends on what other people's scores were for your port, but I would think that an 87 eventually gets you a TO. Good luck.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by marcvann23 View Post
      I got a couple of questions: I have been searching but I cannot find what the acronym TSU is, what is TSU and why are so many people waiting in it?

      Also, were CBP officers authorized to carry off duty before H.R.218?

      Lastly, are there any CBP officers on here who work in Illinois?
      TSU - Training & Scheduling Unit. It is the last line an applicant waits in before being a final offer. No one here really know why the line is getting long. That would be a question for HQ.

      TSU has been explained numerous times. You may not have searched properly.
      Last edited by TPA3312; 06-10-2009, 11:36 PM.
      Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MontgCounty33 View Post
        I just got my NOR today, is it still possible to receive a TO and go through with the rest of the process (VBT, quals, etc)........?

        Or will I have to wait until the start of the fiscal yr to begin the process?
        Getting a TO and going through the process shouldn't have anything to do with this fiscal year's budget. It takes most people a year or so to get hired on, so you would almost certainly be looking at a start date no sooner than fiscal 2010 anyway. Basically, you go through the process and once you complete all the steps, you get put on the list to actually be hired. Once your port gets enough training slots to reach you on the list you get an offer. They want to have a pool of available candidates when the slots come open so I'd imagine that they'll keep processing you even if they're freezing actual employment offers for a while.

        Comment


        • Been lounging for a slot at LAX/LB for over 90+ days now. Called TSU the other day and the lady said there was no openings for LAX/LB...ughhh
          CBPO
          Written: 08/18/08
          NOR:8/22/08 LAX/LB 90
          TO: 09/23/08
          Pre-employment Forms: Completed 10/08
          Medical: Completed 12/08
          Drug Test: Completed 11/08
          Fitness: Completed 10/08 (retest 10/05/09)
          VBT: Completed 11/08
          BI: Completed (met with BI 12/10/08)
          Qualifications: Completed 2/26/09

          3/2/2009 You have tentatively met the pre-employment requirements and your file is being reviewed.
          3/4/2009 Referred to Schedule EOD

          Comment


          • Originally posted by marcvann23 View Post
            Also, were CBP officers authorized to carry off duty before H.R.218?
            This is an interesting question. I wasn't working for CBP prior to HR 218, but here's my opinion. HR 218 was enacted to make the laws concerning the carry of firearms by LEO's outside their jurisdiction standard across the US. CBP has an off duty firearm carry policy that basically states if you carry within our guidelines you are deemed to be acting within the scope of your duties. To me that policy dictates that an officer is deemed to be "on duty" as long as they cary their firearm in accordance with policy. The only time HR218 comes into effect is when an officer is off duty. With this view HR218 really doesn't apply to federal officers. We have country wide jurisdiction, so we are never actually out of our jurisdiction and if the other agencies have policies similar to CBP they aren't "off duty" if they are carrying for HR 218 to apply.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

            For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
              When they want it in writing that's getting into a NOPA right?
              This is for CBPhopeful too. I just received a NOPA Monday. I had my BI last October and have heard nothing since then. Suddenly I got the letter stating that they had found me unsuitable for duty. I had a misdemeanor drug conviction 15 years ago that I fully disclosed. That doesn't seem to be their issue, however. Apparently, one of my references, I think my own brother-in-law, mistakenly told the background investigator that I had been arrested for something different than what I disclosed. He didn't contradict me, he was just mistaken as to the charge. That was enough for IA to say that I was guilty of criminal conduct and dishonest conduct. I have never had the additional charge they are accusing me of having and I have never been dishonest with them. The onus of proof is on me though, because they can't investigate every claim. That would be too expensive and slow the process even more. So I have retained a lawyer and will go through the appeal process. This wasn't really to answer any specific question you two had. You just seemed like you'd be interested to hear how other aspects of the system work.

              Thank you merlin and kc12 for your advice.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DirtStyx View Post
                This is for CBPhopeful too. I just received a NOPA Monday. I had my BI last October and have heard nothing since then. Suddenly I got the letter stating that they had found me unsuitable for duty. I had a misdemeanor drug conviction 15 years ago that I fully disclosed. That doesn't seem to be their issue, however. Apparently, one of my references, I think my own brother-in-law, mistakenly told the background investigator that I had been arrested for something different than what I disclosed. He didn't contradict me, he was just mistaken as to the charge. That was enough for IA to say that I was guilty of criminal conduct and dishonest conduct. I have never had the additional charge they are accusing me of having and I have never been dishonest with them. The onus of proof is on me though, because they can't investigate every claim. That would be too expensive and slow the process even more. So I have retained a lawyer and will go through the appeal process. This wasn't really to answer any specific question you two had. You just seemed like you'd be interested to hear how other aspects of the system work.

                Thank you merlin and kc12 for your advice.
                I'm curious to way you retained a lawyer. Usually a well written NOPA with supporting documents (criminal history and arrest report) is enough to overcome a unsuitable decision. The lawyer may be a waste of money and only needed if your NOPA is denied.
                Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Reapplied View Post
                  your EOD is not 2/23/09 that's your TSU date.
                  got it! (fixed hehe).

                  Well no update yet. Got a lil paranoid and contacted them. I was advised I was still in the queue, they are just working their way down as slots open up.

                  oh well, off to the gym. I keep training to be sure I'm ready, but if I keep this up by the time the call I may be too skinny for CBP
                  CBPO (Location : MIA)

                  Written: 08/08 .............................. T.O.: 08/30/08
                  Pre-employment forms: 09/08....... Fitness: 10/08
                  Medical: 10/08 -referred to specialist (02/15/09 cleared)
                  VBT: 11/08 .................................. Drug test: 12/08
                  B.I.: 01/09..................................... TSU: 02/23/09
                  Fitness (retake): 10/09
                  EOD: soon?? hehe

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by marcvann23 View Post
                    Also, were CBP officers authorized to carry off duty before H.R.218?
                    Tricky question.

                    H.R.218(more correctly known as the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA), was signed into law on July 22, 2004. The position, GS-1895 Customs and Border Protection Officer, came into existence on July 25, 2004.

                    So, one answer is no.

                    As a practical matter, legacy Customs Inspectors had off-duty carry privileges since roughly 2000. Legacy Immigration Inspectors had off-duty carry privileges starting even sooner.

                    I'm of a mind that LEOSA really does little for CBPO's, outside of protecting them from state/local gun charges. Ultimately, we're still all answerable to CBP policy...just as we were before LEOSA.

                    Comment


                    • Can someone PM me TSU's number or an email address so that I can clarify a quick question. Thanks.

                      Comment


                      • Everyone who wants numbers and e-mails: Go into CASS, click on "FAQ"

                        In that FAQ is no shortage of e-mail and phone contacts based on your progress.
                        CBPO
                        GEO - NY/JFK
                        TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

                        TO - 01/09
                        PE Forms - Completed
                        Fitness - Completed
                        VBT - 03/09 - Completed
                        Drug Screen - Completed
                        Qual - 05/09 - Completed
                        B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
                        Medical - 05/09 - Completed
                        TSU


                        EOD: ???
                        FLETC: ???

                        Comment


                        • BI just called me, meeting with him on sat any suggestion??
                          "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by soto2635 View Post
                            BI just called me, meeting with him on sat any suggestion??
                            If you're meeting him at your home, don't wear your pjs. Being sober is also helpful.

                            jk Be honest and relax.
                            ICE IEA Philadelphia FO (Dingmans Ferry, PA)
                            Written: 5/15/08
                            NOR: 5/20/08
                            TO: 10/28/08
                            Medical/Drug Test: Cleared from CBP
                            Fitness: 2/02/09
                            BI: 3/15/09
                            OB: 4/24
                            EOD: 7/27
                            FLETC: 7/29 (Class 928)


                            CBPO Pennsylvania
                            Written: 3/15/08
                            NOR: 4/2/08
                            TO: 5/22/08
                            Pre-Emp Forms: 6/2/08
                            Fitness/Medical: 6/18/08
                            VBT: 6/30/08
                            Drug Test: 7/10/08
                            Quals: (GS-7) 7/23/08
                            Met w/ BI: 9/24/08
                            BI submitted: 10/10/08
                            TSU: 4/2/09
                            Removed from TSU (med/fit): 6/4
                            EOD:

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JDNoble81 View Post
                              If you're meeting him at your home, don't wear your pjs. Being sober is also helpful.

                              jk Be honest and relax.
                              yea hes coming to my house, what should i wear are jeans alright or should i be business casual?
                              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by soto2635 View Post
                                yea hes coming to my house, what should i wear are jeans alright or should i be business casual?
                                Business casual for sure. The B.I. will probably be wearing a suit.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8319 users online. 433 members and 7886 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X