300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reapplied View Post
    Even though you are enjoying your time at pre-academy, you seem more happy to come on this forum and talk about passengers/experience...which is not very professional and if it is not me I am sure someone from your port is seeing how you refer to foreign passengers and are reporting you to your port director, chiefs and supervisors. Part of your job is customer service as well as professionalism and as a soon to be officer you should keep those comments silent. Shouldn't you be preparing for FLETC? well just a word of advise there are eyes and ears everywhere.
    I see nothing unprofessional about relaying the basic info in his post. He is not working, he is on a forum.

Reality check.

There are passengers that smell worse then goats.

There are passengers that do not listen, and are belligerent.

There are passengers who are morons.

There are nice passengers.

Comment

• Originally posted by ford123 View Post
      I see nothing unprofessional about relaying the basic info in his post. He is not working, he is on a forum.

Reality check.

There are passengers that smell worse then goats.

There are passengers that do not listen, and are belligerent.

There are passengers who are morons.

There are nice passengers.
      All true.

He does not refer to any one group of people as being the ones that fouled the air. I see nothing to take offense to, but I know that there is always someone who will be offended. So shake it off and get back to work!

Caution is always nessessary when posting about ones job on the internet.

All I have to say is welcome to the job. You will see, hear and yes...smell a lot. I do not know your background, but this is what happens when you deal with the poor, tired and huddled masses. Learn well, this is the stuff that legends are made of, and one day you will say to yourself; Now I have seen it all. But not today.
      Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishlad2nv
        Look here recruit, and yes that's what you are and when you get to FLETC you will be a recruit the whole 19 weeks or so CBP's academy runs. Then if you grad and get maybe 1-2 yrs on then you can talk smack.

EVERY new employee with DHS takes the same oath. Yes we all know you are a CBPO now. Congrats. But you are far from having arrest powers, which mean, no you are not a SWORN LEO. When they pin that little 6 inch badge on your blue shirt and hand you your creds from DHS that states your arrest and authority powers, then you are now a SWORN LEO.

If you so think you are a SWORN LEO, they by all means tell us how you would and can affect an arrest while in your pre-academy at IAD, now thet we know where you work! Public forum. Remember that.
        Whoa there. CBP doesn't have recruits, they are called officers from day one. (Disclaimer, I don't agree with calling them officers before the badge, but what eva)

But anyway, it's not worth getting all twisted up about anyway. He'll get checked either at the academy or back at the port.

Comment

• Originally posted by Draven27 View Post
          That would be me. Do you want the bad news or good news??

Well, the good news is I GOT THE CALL!!!! Like an hour ago. Choices were Oroville or Point Roberts.

The bad news, and take it as you will, the guy told me that he only had one position left. I asked if he had one position or one PORT left. He said "Oh sorry, I have TWO left. Positions that is." SO I will be deciding and calling him back by tomorrow afternoon and giving him my decision so for those of you waiting for Norther Border, WA, after me, Im figuring there will only be ONE person left to call. He also said Blaine "shut down" with the hiring. Sorry fellas.

EOD on either June 15th or 22nd. So since RobRok took Sumas and I'll most likely be takng Pt Roberts so there will only be Oroville left.

Like I said, take it as you will. It turned out that a previous post telling me that people who get offers here on out wont start the academy til after summer. Good lucky everyone.

Oh, UofU76, to answer your question, I was never notified I was transferred to TSU, but my CASS cleared yesterday so I guess Im in the same boat as RobRok.
          Congrats!

Comment

• Originally posted by Burrell707 View Post
            I wish I would get the call!!!! Day 74 in TSU. I am so ready to go!!!
            I hear you. Day 65 in TSU for me. (SF/OAK)

Comment

• Does anybody know what it means when CASS says that your background investigation has been completed? Does this mean you've been cleared? Everything has been checked off, but I haven't received a phone call yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by robeans View Post
                Whoa there. CBP doesn't have recruits, they are called officers from day one. (Disclaimer, I don't agree with calling them officers before the badge, but what eva)

But anyway, it's not worth getting all twisted up about anyway. He'll get checked either at the academy or back at the port.
                Not recruits, not officers, but "Trainees"...

Comment

• Originally posted by ExRebel View Post
                  Does anybody know what it means when CASS says that your background investigation has been completed? Does this mean you've been cleared? Everything has been checked off, but I haven't received a phone call yet.
                  It means you either have an interim clearance....meaning there were no red flags on the initial review of your background. Or, your full blown background investigation is done.

Comment

• It's been awhile since I have posted any new news so here you go. I had my BI come to my house and interview me for 5 1/2 hours last week. He left and spoke to two of my neighbors. The next day he showed up at my work to speak to some of my co-workers. Each day I hear he has interviewed someone else off the list. He has interviewed all three of the orignial references....At my interview, I gave him seven additional references just in case he needed more. As far as I know, he has interviewed eight of my ten references so far. My BI was very professional, but easy to talk to. We had a great talk and found many times where we were talking about things that were not even related to my background. ie: Cars, travel, family,etc. He was just a talkative person it seemed. Hope he wraps up my BI soon and the Adj moves it through quickly.
                    Test Date: 12/8/08
                    NOR Date: 12/11/08 (92)
                    TO: 1/30/09-Received
                    Forms: 2/28/09-Completed
                    VBT: 2/23/09-Completed
                    Medical: 3/18/09-Completed
                    Physical: 3/10/09-Completed
                    Drug Test: 3/13/09-Completed
                    Qualifications:-3/19/09-Completed
                    BI:-Pending "In the security office"

Comment

• 5 and 1/2 hours? Are all background investigators like that. I just couldn't see what an BI could talk to me about for 5 and 1/2 with my background. Maybe it depends on that applicant?

Comment

• Originally posted by mia1970 View Post
                        Congrats on completing another step, but what the frig?
                        My bi (USIS) said he can't tell me when he is finished.
                        I met the bi on april 13 and know they are still workin on it, but it would be nice to know when they are done.
                        It is in USIS's policy that the subject not be contacted. This is actually for a very good business reason. The vast majority of BI's completed by the federal government are completed by USIS. The investigators are under extreme pressure in some areas to produce large amounts of cases. If the investigator called everyone who wanted to be notified of their status then there wouldn't be as many cases pushed through. Yes one person only takes about five minutes to notify, but when I was pushing cases I could complete 10-15 cases per week. Some senior investigators were pushing 25 per week. If everyone is notified that their case is being forwarded that is time on the clock that nothing is being done. In the time spent notifying people of their status a few more small cases could be completed. The real slow down is in the adjudication process anyway.

With all of that said I would always try to give a general idea of when the investigation should wrap up and be submitted before I left, although it was not required. It worked for two things one it lets the person know about when it should be done and it worked to get them moving. I only transmitted cases on Fridays, so if the subject did not provide the information required by Thursday, their case did not get transmitted until the next Friday.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• kc12,

Out of simple curiosity, since you're probably more familiar with the system than anyone has admitted to, do you have an idea of why the adjudication process seems to lack any sense of order or organization? I used those words for lack of better ones springing to my mind. I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons why some people go through faster than others. I guess I'm just wondering how it can take so long to investigate one person. If they are investigating 10 years of my life, for instance, why should it take them 1/10 of that time to investigate it? In yoda's case, it's turned into 20% of the time it took him to live it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtStyx View Post
                            kc12,

Out of simple curiosity, since you're probably more familiar with the system than anyone has admitted to, do you have an idea of why the adjudication process seems to lack any sense of order or organization? I used those words for lack of better ones springing to my mind. I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons why some people go through faster than others. I guess I'm just wondering how it can take so long to investigate one person. If they are investigating 10 years of my life, for instance, why should it take them 1/10 of that time to investigate it? In yoda's case, it's turned into 20% of the time it took him to live it.
                            Here is a good description from HonorFirst of how the process works.

There are 3 stages in the process:

1: The Investigation Phase, while data is being "collected" about you.

It takes 1 to 12 months, depending on 30 different variables. Location governs most of those variables. Most of that time, your file is in a drawer waiting for an available investigator. Once it gets assigned to someone, expect to be called within 24 hrs.

Other factors: How many ZIP codes are involved in your life? Residences, jobs, schools, etc.

How many BI contractors are in each ZIP Code? How competent are they?

How many OTHER cases pending in each ZIP code?

How cooperative are each of YOUR contacts?

2: The report writing Stage:

Again, this takes 1 to 6 months, depending on the complexity of your life, and the quality of writing skills (and competence) in the people involved. Some cases go through 4 to 8 re-writes, as the report is edited, proofread, re-written, & repeated.

Sometimes, this is where you will get calls from "DHS" or DC for clarification of your record. The call is from the contractor (USIS, KROLL, OMNISEC, etc) but they will not usually give the company name since the average applicant has never heard of their company.

3: The Adjudication process:

Could be done in 3 days, could take 12 months. Depends on the backlog of case reports that came in BEFORE your file did (even if they were initiated 12 months after you applied) and the competency and efficiency of the adjudicator who draws your case.

In some cases, the adjudicator finds problems or discepancies in the report, and it goes BACK to either Phase 2 or Phase 1. More often than in the past, many adjudicators will call the SUBJECT (you) directly for these clarifications. But if they call & miss you twice: they are likely to kick the file back, and go handle twenty other cases while your report gets revised or re-written.
                            Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by Yea_Buddy View Post
                              5 and 1/2 hours? Are all background investigators like that. I just couldn't see what an BI could talk to me about for 5 and 1/2 with my background. Maybe it depends on that applicant?
                              No mine was only a couple hours if that. It depends how complex your history is, how many places you have lived, how many jobs you have had etc. I had an interim clearance before I even met with my BI.
                              CBPO
                              Test: July 2008
                              TO: 12/26/08
                              VBT 1/21/09-passed
                              Medical - 1/21/09 - cleared 4/28
                              Fitness - 1/21/09 - passed
                              Drug test - 2/5/09- passed
                              BI - Cleared
                              TSU -4/29/09 (Buffalo)
                              BI2 - cleared 8/11

ICE Special Agent
                              Test 7/22/09 passed

Comment

• Various reasons. To collect everything and write it up takes time, maybe two weeks. When it goes to an adjudicator the person reads everything and compares testimony from one person to another and compare it all to all of the paperwork you filled out and the personal interview. I have one copy of an SSBI completed on me sitting on the shelf next to me and it is about 2.5-3 inches thick. The one from CBP is, fortunately, on a CD so I don't know how thick it would be. If anything does not make sense or is conflicting then the issue must be resolved. Since there could literally be five or ten people working on the information collection side, it could simply be writing style, errors in collection, or outright lies. I read through both of my BI's and cross checked some of the information within the report just to see and it was a bit cumbersome. I know my history, but the adjudicator has to learn the history, so it can take a while. Once the adjudicator takes a decision they pass it on to their supervisor for review (from what I've heard) who then does essentially the same thing as the adjudicator, but not in as much detail.

There is a step prior to the adjudicator receiving the package, if your investigation is completed by USIS, and probably some of the other contract companies. At USIS the company has their own quality control section that will review the report for completeness and accuracy, but this process has to be quick because the company doesn't have much time once the investigation is referred for completion until it has to be back to OPM and ultimately CBP.

As you can see the adjudication process can be a bit involved, so if at any point the adjudicator takes vacation, calls in sick, is not quite up to standards, or loses the report behind their desk on even on their desk then it slows the process way down. The adjudicators really don't care about the person, only the report. Their job is like an assembly line as soon as one report is done another is started. Unless they have some kind of bonus for completing a certain number of reports there really isn't much incentive to work extremely fast. The adjudicators job can be compared to a book reviewer with the exception that the adjudicator must get into the meat of the book not just the general idea of the book. When the book is 150-400 pages long it can take time.
                                But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8609 users online. 486 members and 8123 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X