300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by verbalkint4 View Post
    There is no loyalty in the federal government.

Seriously, if offered the AO position first, I would take it if only to begin building your federal time towards leave and retirement. People move around within the fed frequently. When you do move to another agency, your leave and pay will most likely transfer over. As long as you don't burn any bridges at the AO job, you should have no problems at all.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Ok..shed some light on FLETC for me here...

My class starts April 10th.

I have a buddy of mine who will be there April 9th, but is in a different class.

We have another CBPO to be that is a few days behing me.

So, how many people are 'usually' in the CBP class? Also, is there a pretty good drop rate from the non hackers or do they roll them down a class then out? Or do they just boot 'em?

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
        Now if you choose to act like one on the job is up to the individual.

Just curious, how much actual Law Enforcement is there to be done at Ports of Entry? Specifically, in an average week at a busy northern/southern border crossing, what would a CBPO expect? (Other than checking 6000 passports.) I applied and tested for CBPO (Scored a 95) and I put Washington-Other Locations, and really just did it to apply.... but if I gain some insight on the job, I might pursue a position. Fill me in, if you can.
        Discombobulatory Accountable Volunteerism.

Comment

• Originally posted by usmcgunnerm4 View Post
          Just curious, how much actual Law Enforcement is there to be done at Ports of Entry? Specifically, in an average week at a busy northern/southern border crossing, what would a CBPO expect? (Other than checking 6000 passports.) I applied and tested for CBPO (Scored a 95) and I put Washington-Other Locations, and really just did it to apply.... but if I gain some insight on the job, I might pursue a position. Fill me in, if you can.
          Well, that depends on what your defenition of law enforcement is or, more importantly, what your expectation is. On the border, depending on where you go, you can catch plenty of dope and plenty of illegal aliens. Just don't expect to be kicking in doors, making arrests and pulling children from burning buses.

Again, this job is mostly regulatory law enforcement. Nothing high speed, low drag but it pays the bills, and, so long as you don't let yourself get burnt out, you can be a little proactive most days.

Comment

• CBP Pay

So I applied for GS-7 and got it. GS7 here in San Diego starts at 39691 a year. I was wondering how much you get paid while you are at FLETC?? Also how often to you move up a GS Level or GS Step? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
            What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

• Originally posted by ExSDSO View Post
              So I applied for GS-7 and got it. GS7 here in San Diego starts at 39691 a year. I was wondering how much you get paid while you are at FLETC?? Also how often to you move up a GS Level or GS Step? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
              You will be paid your base salary. If you are still on the 6 day a week schedule you will be paid OT for working on saturday. If you are a gs7 you will move up to gs9 after your first year. When you reach your 2 year you will move to gs11. After you reach your 11 you will move up in steps unless you test for your GS12 which is a supervisor CBPO.
              Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                You will be paid your base salary. If you are still on the 6 day a week schedule you will be paid OT for working on saturday. If you are a gs7 you will move up to gs9 after your first year. When you reach your 2 year you will move to gs11. After you reach your 11 you will move up in steps unless you test for your GS12 which is a supervisor CBPO.
                Is OT at FLETC the basic rate of 1.5 or is DT?

Comment

• are CBPOs issued or given the option to buy a wallet badge?

Comment

• Originally posted by ec2749 View Post
                    are CBPOs issued or given the option to buy a wallet badge?
                    Nope, you just get one set of creds (id and badge). If you want it in your wallet, you gotta take it off your shirt after work and put it in there

Comment

• Originally posted by Kingcol View Post
                      Hey all,
                      I'm currently finished with everything except the background. I opted for WA "all other locations". Im assuming I will get Seattle, either the port or airport. A friend of mine just left CBP because of the massive overtime with no end in sight. Like 5-6 16 hour shifts a week! He said he made HUGE money but was never home to enjoy it or see his family. One question I have is; Its all over the place that its a physically rigerous job, etc. I workout a lot currently(mostly weights) and was wondering if they allocate time for you to train at a gym since they work you to death. I know some federal agencies give you so many hours a week to workout. Its really important to me to stay in shape and since the over time is huge here in WA I was hoping someone had some info. Thanks!
                      If OT is a selling point in your taking the job, then I suggest you check out what's available at whatever port you're offered BEFORE you accept the job. From what I heard there's plenty of port in central/eastern WA with little OT.

Actually...that's pretty good advice for just about all applicants swayed by the chance to rake in large amounts of OT. There are plenty of ports(perhaps the majority) which have little OT. That especially holds true for many(most) of the more rural and secondary ports.
                      Last edited by merlin436; 03-27-2008, 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by usmcgunnerm4 View Post
                        Don't expect to do a lot of "law enforcement" at just about any northern border port. The southern border is where most all the "action" is.

Comment

• Telephone CASS

Anyone having any problems using the telephone status update? Up until today ive been able to use it, no problem. Im still in the online CASS on cbp.gov, but when i call the number it says my info doesnt match their records. Anyone else having or have had this problem?

Comment

• CBP Officer

Anyone been involved in the process for Ohio or know the outlook for hiring in the state of Ohio? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

• GREAT NEWS !!!!!!!

As of March 26th, Enhanced Retirement for CBP Officers is final as signed by Bush. No bulll****, no vetoing, no more CBP does not deserve 6C. Retirement packets will be sent out to each and all of us starting next month. Wanted to attach the email, but too big for an attachment.
                              Last edited by matyoka; 03-28-2008, 02:36 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Anyone else in the hiring process for Miami?
                                I took the test in November and the last thing that needs to be done is BI. The investigators already met with me and my references.
                                It seems to be moving fast.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7352 users online. 214 members and 7138 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X