Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone here had a medical issue arise? i had a problem with my vision, so i had to go to my own doctor and have him fill out a form, and now i'm waiting for that to clear. it's already been three weeks since they recieved that...
    all i have left is the background check and drug test, and i'm getting tired of waiting. anyone else gone through this?
    -thanx

Comment

• FLETC is a breeze to more mature folks.
      Has some rules, but nothing that can't be over come. It is not like a boot camp. I thought of it more as a secure college campus.
      Younger people will more likely run into probs as a result of boozing it up and starting trouble or finding their soul mate and having the spouses find out.

Comment

• Is anyone still waiting on their background? The security office contacted me on Jan 2, to verify some information, and they mention they don't know when the investigator will call me. Does anyone know how long the background process takes?

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmouredSainT
          FLETC is a breeze to more mature folks.
          Has some rules, but nothing that can't be over come. It is not like a boot camp. I thought of it more as a secure college campus.
          Younger people will more likely run into probs as a result of boozing it up and starting trouble or finding their soul mate and having the spouses find out.

Thanks for your input. I'm really looking forward to it, however would you be able to comment on the other items that I mentioned up in my previous post?
          like CBT issuing me my belt utilities or not...

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436
            15% evening diff., 20% night diff, 50% Sunday diff., double time for holidays.

As far as paybanding goes, I don't know of anyone who really knows what effect it'll have in the future. The good news...it appears dead, at least for now.

Are you sure about that. Over here on the 6C side we only get 10% for night dif / 25% for sunday dif. I could be wrong about you CBP guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by george4
              I have some questions regarding pay. With 10 years LE experience and a B.S. I apparently only qualify for a GS5. How does someone survive on 28,000 a year. I realize there is OT involved but are there is anything else that effects the base pay?

Also, how does the paybanding system work? Thanks in advance for any informed positive remarks.
              That is how the Feds do it. If you want more money maybe you should put in for another agency. The FAMs start out at about $53,000 a year and top out in only 3 short years at about $83,000 a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by erivera
                Is anyone still waiting on their background? The security office contacted me on Jan 2, to verify some information, and they mention they don't know when the investigator will call me. Does anyone know how long the background process takes?

If you are referring to CBP, it is my understanding that the background check can take anywhere from 4-6 months as long as there are no issues that they have with you. I just sent in my SF-86 and all the other docs that they wanted a few weeks ago so i'm just getting settled in for a long wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by INTHEAIRCOP
                  Are you sure about that. Over here on the 6C side we only get 10% for night dif / 25% for sunday dif. I could be wrong about you CBP guys.
                  Yup. Double time for OT too. Then again, all you 6Cers get LEAP or AOU, don't you?

Lucky you. Personally, I'd make more per year with 25 percent of my base pay, plus your diffs, then I do under our current system.

Comment

• You'll get all that you need there.

Comment

Yup. Double time for OT too. Then again, all you 6Cers get LEAP or AOU, don't you?

Lucky you. Personally, I'd make more per year with 25 percent of my base pay, plus your diffs, then I do under our current system.

I just got my W2 and I made just about $93,000 last year and I did not work any OT. Since we fall under LEAP I normaly work about 40-45 hours a week. We are not paid for any unscheduled OT such as flight delays. Basicaly salary over here at the FAMS. I would guess a CBP guy at a GS5-GS7 would have to work his butt off to make close to what a 3rd year FAM makes. I could be wrong because I do not know one single CBP guy.

Comment

• 5.5 years CBP.

I work 48 hours a week....

That brings me to 97,000....

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmouredSainT
                          You'll get all that you need there.
                          Speak for yourself!

I see no reason that I should suffer through the boredom and isolation of ND for a mere 61K a year as an 11/1 when folks like Ford and AirCop are making 90+ and living the highlife in the midst of civilization.
                          Last edited by merlin436; 01-24-2007, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Speak for yourself!

I see no reason that I should suffer through the boredom and isolation of ND for a mere 61K a year as an 11/1 when folks like Ford and AirCop are making 90+ and living the highlife in the midst of civilization.
                            Whoa!!! Slow down thar partner!

Darn NY is expensive.

Where I live, a house goes for 400,000, and an apartment will run you 1300-1500 a month....(1 bedroom)

I might trade places with ya if I had the chance.....

Comment

• Hey...I know NY is expensive, I grew up west of Champlain.

I also know that you need not drive 90 miles to find a Wal-Mart or 130 miles to get to a Target or Lowe’s. Or just about anywhere else. I might not pay NY rates in rent, but 50K a year in mileage on the vehicle eats up a lot of dough too.

I’m also betting that you see far more through your port in a month than most people up here see in years. I dare say that a GS-05 eight months out of FLETC at your port has done and seen far more than I have in 3 years.

But hey…if at anytime you feel a desire to trade in the city life for a town of 400, 6 hours of TV watching and 15-25 cars a day, let me know. I’m sure I can find somebody to snap it up real quick.

Comment

• "Also, does anyone know if CBP issues me all the utilties that I have to wear on my belt after I start my new position (i.e. handcuffs, gun,etc) or do I have to purchase all that stuff on my own?"

I believe Amoured Saint was answering the above question. Anyway, yes you will be issued your duty gear such as firearm, belt, holster, handcuffs, baton, OC spray, keepers, etc. Things you might want to buy yourself- a good flashlight and a good duty knife, but you'll have plenty of time for those. Enjoy your time at FLETC, pay attention, work with your classmates as a team, don't stress out and you'll do fine. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9638 users online. 353 members and 9285 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X