300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TuffStuffCBP View Post
    Rumor has it that the MHC tells people that there is a hiring freeze when the candidate is no longer viable in order to save the paper and postage!

Just kidding. See how easily rumors are started.
    Sounds like the rumor has some legs to it.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Rumors....Have you ever wondered who "They" are in "that is what they said".
      I know everything is under review as per current guidelines. That would include hiring, but as for a freeze? Sometimes that term is used a little loose, I know they are still running academy classes.
      Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• O ok Ninja lol

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
          Just called TSU after 95 days of waiting to learn Customs is under a hiring freeze. This is very bad news to hear.
          that's retarded. who gets them? one month they're "desperately needing people" and the next month they're under a freeze

CBPO
          * EXAM: 3/3/09
          * NOR: 3/9/09 (95%)
          * TO: MID APRIL
          * PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS: 4/16/09COMPLETED
          * MEDICAL/PHYSICAL: 5/1/09 COMPLETED
          * DRUG TEST: 5/14/09 COMPLETED
          * VBT: 6/15/09 :COMPLETED
          *QUALIFICATION: 5/28/09 (GS-7) COMPLETED
          *BI: 6/11/09 COMPLETED
          *!!THE CALL!!: 6/16/09
          *EOD: 6/29/09

*FLETC: CLASS 961 7/23 - 11/04

BPA
          *EXAM: 4/16/09 (86%)
          *TO: ???

ICE IEA
          *EXAM: 6/11/09 PASSED (Not interested anymore )

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmscott8 View Post
            I applied for CBPO about 14 months ago for Buffalo GEO location. I live in South Texas and 14 months ago I had money saved up to move. Now not so much. I already have been tenatively selected for Buffalo and am only waiting on my background investigation. ............Is there a way for me to change loactions ( any where in Texas, border included) even after I have been tenatively selected or am I out of luck. If I get a call from TSU what are the chances for me to ask them if I can work in Texas rather than Buffalo.
            hey buddy im going through the same dilemma. In my case, I'm dying to get the hell out of south Texas. I emailed MHC today trying to get a geographic change and I was told that I would have to wait until they have an opening again (God knows when) and then I can apply under a new location (when and if i get the TO for that new location, everything will transfer to that new TO).

CBPO

BPA

ICE IEA

Comment

• I seriously doubt there's a "hiring freeze", by any reasonable definition of the phrase.

It's getting near the end of the FY. What most likely is happening is the folks in hiring/Washington are taking some time to step back, look at what they've left for funded training positions, look at which ports have the greatest need for new trainees and just generally review "the plan" to close out the fiscal year.

Soon it'll all be back to "normal".

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                That's not what I asked the guy in TSU. I asked if there were any new openings, not a new annoucement.

I called, said this is X, I have been waiting in TSU for 95 days, that I wanted to check in and see if he had any new news about any open positions. He said Customs is currently under a hiring freeze. I said, so that includes Florida? He said yes, everywhere is included. I said, thank you very much, I just wanted to check since BP should be calling me shortly. He said, once you finish the academy with BP, BP will notify us [Customs TSU] and we will see if we have a open position to offer, and if we do, you can switch over to us and go through the Customs FLETC. I said, thank you very much for the information and have a nice week.
                can you do that? switch between BP and CBP right after (or during) the academy for either? or do they hold it against you as in "you made them waste their time"? just curious....

CBPO

BPA

ICE IEA

Comment

• Originally posted by PureLife23 View Post
                  can you do that? switch between BP and CBP right after (or during) the academy for either? or do they hold it against you as in "you made them waste their time"? just curious....
                  Nope, there are CBP guys at fletc who will get an offer from BP and resign to take the BPA job. Happens often as people apply for both jobs at once.

Comment

• Question answered
                    Last edited by TPA3312; 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM.
                    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmscott8 View Post
                      I applied for CBPO about 14 months ago for Buffalo GEO location. I live in South Texas and 14 months ago I had money saved up to move. Now not so much. I already have been tenatively selected for Buffalo and am only waiting on my background investigation. ............Is there a way for me to change loactions ( any where in Texas, border included) even after I have been tenatively selected or am I out of luck. If I get a call from TSU what are the chances for me to ask them if I can work in Texas rather than Buffalo.
                      I wonder with people with TOs can make swaps or just actual employees. Funny question I'm asking I know...but you never know....I doubt it though

CBPO

BPA

ICE IEA

Comment

• Here is the real deal with the enhanced CBPO retirement:

Q: What happens to my coverage if I am hired as a Border Patrol Agent or into another law enforcement position?
                        A: If you are hired as a Border Patrol Agent or into another law enforcement position, your CBPO coverage stops and you are no longer covered by the CBPO provision. However, you may combine both the CBPO service on or after July 6, 2008, and your law enforcement service to qualify for special category retirement at age 50 with 20 years of special category service or (under FERS only) at any age with 25 years of special category service. Other service that may be combined toward special category retirement includes service as a firefighter or nuclear materials courier, and, under FERS only, as a member of the Capitol Police or Supreme Court Police.

Short answer is that it does transfer to other LEO jobs, but you have to have the 20 years at mandatory retirement age.

Q: What happens if I move from a Border Patrol Agent position or other law enforcement position to a CBPO position after 07/06/08?
                        A: If you move from a Border Patrol Agent or other law enforcement position to a CBPO position after July 6, 2008, you may combine your law enforcement and CBPO service to qualify for the special retirement. However, you must meet the same retirement eligibility as a special category employee (i.e. age 50 with 20 years of covered service or, under FERS only, at any age with 25 years of special category service.)

Short answer is that it works both ways

Q: If someone completes the 3 consecutive years of service in a primary CBPO position, can they move into any covered LEO position and return to a secondary CBPO position within CBP and still be covered?
                        A: No, the employee must return to CBP to a primary CBPO covered position

This can cause confusion, but it means that you can't return to CBP as a SUPERVISOR, not that you can't come back.

These answers came from OPM and HR and can be found on the internal site.
                        Not from other people that are supposed to know. Just like Jack Webb...The Facts.
                        Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Congrats to 928(yesterday) and 929(today)

Comment

• Originally posted by bflogirl View Post
                            I am considering turning down the job when I get the call for some personal reasons but I still want to get into CBP. If I apply the next time there is an announcement and get a TO will the process be quicker since I already had my BI cleared? I know I'll probably have to do the medical and fitness again.
                            Just trying to figure out what to do. Problem is I will be 34 this year so don't want to run out of time!
                            Hey so I take it u weren't there for the test yesterday...

Comment

• Has anyone that has taken the test in the last 3 weeks received their NOR???

I took mine May 11th in Philly and haven't seen anything
                              ATF 1811 SA
                              Applied - 10/13/09

CBPO (GEO - Philadelphia)
                              Written Test - 5/11/09
                              NOR (87) - 6/10/09

ICE IEA (GEO - Philadelphia)
                              Written Test - 6/1/09
                              NOR (88.9) - 6/22/09

ICE 1811 SA
                              Written Test - 7/28/09
                              Written - Passed - 8/10/09
                              NOR (80.5 ugggh)

Comment

• Originally posted by MontgCounty33 View Post
                                Has anyone that has taken the test in the last 3 weeks received their NOR???

I took mine May 11th in Philly and haven't seen anything
                                MontCo - It took me 3 weeks to get mine when I tested in Philly. You should be seeing yours soon.
                                ICE IEA Philadelphia FO (Dingmans Ferry, PA)
                                Written: 5/15/08
                                NOR: 5/20/08
                                TO: 10/28/08
                                Medical/Drug Test: Cleared from CBP
                                Fitness: 2/02/09
                                BI: 3/15/09
                                OB: 4/24
                                EOD: 7/27
                                FLETC: 7/29 (Class 928)

CBPO Pennsylvania
                                Written: 3/15/08
                                NOR: 4/2/08
                                TO: 5/22/08
                                Pre-Emp Forms: 6/2/08
                                Fitness/Medical: 6/18/08
                                VBT: 6/30/08
                                Drug Test: 7/10/08
                                Quals: (GS-7) 7/23/08
                                Met w/ BI: 9/24/08
                                BI submitted: 10/10/08
                                TSU: 4/2/09
                                Removed from TSU (med/fit): 6/4
                                EOD:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9774 users online. 499 members and 9275 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X