• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For most people:

Year 1...GS-05/01
    Year 2...GS-07/01
    Year 3...GS-09/01
    Year 4...GS-11/01

Steps 1- 4 each take 1 year to advance. In other words, if you start as a GS-05/01 at the begining of your 8th year you'll be an 11/05.

Steps 5-6-7 take two years to advance. Steps 7-8-9 take 3 years to advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1895bombdog View Post
      Quick question?
      Is it true that 7 out of 9 new hires (just back from FLETC) recently quit in Miami after just a few days?
      While you are correct about some others getting 6c CBP will never get it!
      The excuses they always give are never valid. CBP doesn't investigate or patrol. There are many other federal agencies that don't investigate and patrol and they have 6c coverage. For example BOP. It comes down to money. There are too many employees and would cost too much.
      i dont know where you get your info but cbp is 6c coverd as of july 2008 it is not full 6c but then again we dont have to work the extra 2 hrs a day for the extra 25% we just get paid 2X overtime.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        For most people:

Year 1...GS-05/01
        Year 2...GS-07/01
        Year 3...GS-09/01
        Year 4...GS-11/01

Steps 1- 4 each take 1 year to advance. In other words, if you start as a GS-05/01 at the begining of your 8th year you'll be an 11/05.

Steps 5-6-7 take two years to advance. Steps 7-8-9 take 3 years to advance.
        you only start as a gs5 if you dont have a college deg ,or prior fed/ millitary service i started as a 7-5 for millitary service and prior post office serv

Comment

• Originally posted by november/oscar View Post
          you only start as a gs5 if you dont have a college deg ,or prior fed/ millitary service i started as a 7-5 for millitary service and prior post office serv
          Notice I said for most people.

A 4-year degree qualifies for GS-05.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPSDJohn View Post
            1895 Bombdog.

"Please do tell what happens on the southern border with all that overtime? Have you ever been forced out? Have you ever been forced to spend another 8 hours because someone called in sick? Do you know of anyone who was forced to call in sick just to spend a birthday or special event with a family member? How is the morale at your port?"

24/7 Non stop traffic and ped lines, processing drug loads, bodies in trunks etc, imposters, DUI's, drunks, fights, wanted persons. Not sure what you mean by forced out. I am guessing that you mean that you are predrafted. In other words told that you are being told that you have to come in before your shift to work OT. We call it Predrafted. Happens everyday. Having been drafted to cover for someone who called in sick, happens many times every day. People calling in sick, just to have some time away from work, that is seen as normal here. As far as morale. My opinion if you like action and alot of OT. Very high. If you do not like OT, very low. Just my honest opinion from So Cal.
            yes this is true having to work doubble shifts to cover for the officer that called out sick to prob spend the day w/his son for his birth day because annual leave is never approved due to staffing unless you have use or loose time accum//

Comment

• Originally posted by november/oscar View Post
              i dont know where you get your info but cbp is 6c coverd as of july 2008 it is not full 6c but then again we dont have to work the extra 2 hrs a day for the extra 25% we just get paid 2X overtime.

You're replying to a post from July of '06.

Our "6C" coverage is no different from anybody else's, if you're a post 07/08 hire.
              AUO and/or LEAP has nothing to do with being covered.

Comment

• Does anybody have any idea of how the Laredo POE is? I live around the area so I would figure it is pretty damn hectic. Also, if my TO said "Laredo (actual duty location to be discussed at a later date)" does that mean I can have a different choice later? And lastly, is the Laredo POE just Laredo city itself or any of the surrounding communities?

CBPO
                * EXAM: 3/3/09
                * NOR: 3/9/09 (95%)
                * TO: MID APRIL
                * PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS: 4/16/09COMPLETED
                * MEDICAL/PHYSICAL: 5/1/09 COMPLETED
                * DRUG TEST: 5/14/09 COMPLETED
                * VBT: 6/15/09 :COMPLETED
                *QUALIFICATION: 5/28/09 (GS-7) COMPLETED
                *BI: 6/11/09 COMPLETED
                *!!THE CALL!!: 6/16/09
                *EOD: 6/29/09

*FLETC: CLASS 961 7/23 - 11/04

BPA
                *EXAM: 4/16/09 (86%)
                *TO: ???

ICE IEA
                *EXAM: 6/11/09 PASSED (Not interested anymore )

Comment

• Aloha From Hawaii!

Finally I got approved to post. Let See. Where do I start.... I have been reading this thread for nearly 5 months and decided I need to ask some of my own Questions........

Anyone Here know anything about Port of Honolulu, Hawaii? My 37th Birthday is Feb 21, 2010... Am I going to make it.???? HELP... Also What is the pay rate in Hawaii. I know its more... but where do I find this info???

Test: Approx...April 2008 (Sooo Long ago I can't Remember!)
                  TO: 3/09
                  Forms: 4/09 - Completed
                  QUAL: PENDING
                  VBT 4/09-Passed
                  Medical - 4/09 - Cleared 5/09
                  Fitness - 4/09 - Passed
                  Drug test - 4/09-Passed
                  BI - In Security Office
                  TSU - Dunno
                  PORT: Honolulu, Hawaii
                  Test: Approx...April 2008 (Sooo Long ago I can't Remember!)
                  TO: 3/09
                  Forms: 4/09 - Completed
                  QUAL: GS-5
                  VBT 4/09-Passed
                  Medical - 4/09 - Cleared 5/09
                  Fitness - 4/09 - Passed
                  Drug test - 4/09-Passed
                  ===== A YEAR LATER =======
                  BI - 9/2009 - CLEARED 5/2010
                  POLY 4/2010 - Passed - Same Day Results
                  TSU - 6/2/2010
                  PORT: Honolulu, Hawaii

Comment

• A college degree allows you to apply for the gs-5 position. However, having work related experience or another year of graduate school, then you can apply for the gs-7.
                    Written: 12-11-08
                    Medical: 3-28-09 Pending
                    B.I.: 5-21-09 pending

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPhOpeful View Post
                      A college degree allows you to apply for the gs-5 position. However, having work related experience or another year of graduate school, then you can apply for the gs-7.

The keyword there being "apply".

There are only a set number of 07's funded for each announcement. Once they're gone, they're gone. Despite qualifying for the higher grade, one either ends up taking a 05, he takes a seat or he takes a hike.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPhOpeful View Post
                        A college degree allows you to apply for the gs-5 position. However, having work related experience or another year of graduate school, then you can apply for the gs-7.
                        Actually a four year degree with a 3.0 gpa and/or membership in a national honor society will also qualify you for a 7, you don't necessarily need grad credits or work experience

Comment

• Originally posted by PureLife23 View Post
                          Does anybody have any idea of how the Laredo POE is? I live around the area so I would figure it is pretty damn hectic. Also, if my TO said "Laredo (actual duty location to be discussed at a later date)" does that mean I can have a different choice later? And lastly, is the Laredo POE just Laredo city itself or any of the surrounding communities?
                          What that means is that you will be at one of the bridges in Laredo. There are two PAX bridges, two cargo, a rail and the airport. I can tell you right now, you will be at either bridge one or two (pax only) when you start, and until you get enough time to move up in the B&R to get a cargo slot. The pax bridges are where the action is, you will see and do more there in a year than some do in a lifetime in some ports. Good luck to you sir.....you'll need it!!
                          Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by La Migra View Post
                            Actually a four year degree with a 3.0 gpa and/or membership in a national honor society will also qualify you for a 7, you don't necessarily need grad credits or work experience
                            There are several ways to qualify at a higher grade. Academic achievement is one, education above 4 year degree is another, and experience is another. But you have to read the announcement as to what is allowed. You can conceivably be hired as a GS9 but you cannot be hired initially into the journeyman grade. Usually initial hires are 5 or 7 because that is what the announcement places as the entry level.

Merlin is right that CBP will hire more at the lower grade to save money. The questionaire usually asks if you will accept the lower entry grade even if you qualify at the higher grade. If you tell them you will not, then you will only be offered one of the few higher grades.
                            Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• ive seen people at my port come in at a GS-5 but with a high step to compare their salary to their previous jobs salary. for example GS-5 Step 9. Instead of a 7

Comment

• [QUOTE=TheAlohaBoy;1823327]Finally I got approved to post. Let See. Where do I start.... I have been reading this thread for nearly 5 months and decided I need to ask some of my own Questions........

Anyone Here know anything about Port of Honolulu, Hawaii? My 37th Birthday is Feb 21, 2010... Am I going to make it.???? HELP... Also What is the pay rate in Hawaii. I know its more... but where do I find this info???

AlohaBoy,

Glad to hear someone else is waiting on Honolulu! A Coast Guard officer informed me that Honolulu is where 95% of the action is at. Slim chances that you will be stationed on the neighbor islands. I've been in TSU for over 60 days now and I'm still waiting on a vacancy. As far as you making it by 2010, I guess it may depend on when you make it to TSU. I believe Hawaii is one of the few states to include a 25% COLA in addition to your regular pay. I think the other 49 states include Locality Pay, which ranges depending upon where you live. Sen. Akaka is trying to get Congress to approve Locality Pay for Hawaii, which would add on more than the 25% we would get.

Good luck man!
                                Last edited by DaBonk112; 05-23-2009, 01:12 PM. Reason: ...
                                CBPO- Hawaii
                                Written: 07/31/08
                                TO: 09/23/08
                                Pre-employment Forms: Completed 10/09/08
                                Medical: Completed (11/12/08)
                                Drug Test: Completed (11/13/08)
                                Fitness: Completed (10/15/08)
                                VBT: Completed (11/20/08)
                                BI: Completed (2/19/09)
                                Qualifications: GS7 (3/13/09)
                                Referred to TSU: 3/13/09

IEA
                                TO: 11/4/08

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8590 users online. 356 members and 8234 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X