300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JDNoble81 View Post
    A week ago, I turned down an IEA offer for the Pittsburgh office. At the time I applied, I would have been willing go anywhere, however now, I am not in a position to make that move permanently. From what I've gathered, there is a great need for IEAs and the people at HR are willing to work with the applicant to get them in the locations they are able to work. I am now on the waiting list for the Philadelphia city office.

As far as which one I'd prefer... it's hard to say. I've learned that you can't simply go by the job description to make that determination. Personal accounts from current officers/agents are more helpful, but can't compare to your own experience on the job.

Here's a scenario: You get hired as a CBPO and work 2 years to reach GS-11. At that point, you'd have a pretty solid idea whether or not you could see yourself being a CBPO for the next decade or two. If so, you stay. If not, you could apply for IEA, hopefully get hired, and have your GS-11 pay matched by ICE.

The Oral Boards are good for 3 years. Keep that in mind.
    Great analysis. You're a logical thinker like I am.

I was in the same position as you with willing to move anywhere just to get a fed paycheck before I had applied. Now, after finding out some more information, I am starting to be a bit more selective.

Good luck. I'm sure everything will work out in your favor. You've certainly done your homework.

Comment

A week ago, I turned down an IEA offer for the Pittsburgh office. At the time I applied, I would have been willing go anywhere, however now, I am not in a position to make that move permanently. From what I've gathered, there is a great need for IEAs and the people at HR are willing to work with the applicant to get them in the locations they are able to work. I am now on the waiting list for the Philadelphia city office.

As far as which one I'd prefer... it's hard to say. I've learned that you can't simply go by the job description to make that determination. Personal accounts from current officers/agents are more helpful, but can't compare to your own experience on the job.

Here's a scenario: You get hired as a CBPO and work 2 years to reach GS-11. At that point, you'd have a pretty solid idea whether or not you could see yourself being a CBPO for the next decade or two. If so, you stay. If not, you could apply for IEA, hopefully get hired, and have your GS-11 pay matched by ICE.

Was it hard to turn down IEA?
      With the economy the way it is, with the slow down of federal hiring, it would make it extremely difficult for me. What’s the turn around from when you turn down something to when your made another offer? Weeks, months, years?

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
        Monday was day 90 of waiting in TSU for me. Once you get some more time under your belt, you will see the excitement that happens on the basement floor. But I have already said too much.
        Ha! One day soon we're going to the leave the imaginary TSU Lounge behind for the very reality-based G Bar at FLETC.

Immigration law and cold brews. Whatta way to spend the summer.
        ICE IEA Philadelphia FO (Dingmans Ferry, PA)
        Written: 5/15/08
        NOR: 5/20/08
        TO: 10/28/08
        Medical/Drug Test: Cleared from CBP
        Fitness: 2/02/09
        BI: 3/15/09
        OB: 4/24
        EOD: 7/27
        FLETC: 7/29 (Class 928)

CBPO Pennsylvania
        Written: 3/15/08
        NOR: 4/2/08
        TO: 5/22/08
        Pre-Emp Forms: 6/2/08
        Fitness/Medical: 6/18/08
        VBT: 6/30/08
        Drug Test: 7/10/08
        Quals: (GS-7) 7/23/08
        Met w/ BI: 9/24/08
        BI submitted: 10/10/08
        TSU: 4/2/09
        Removed from TSU (med/fit): 6/4
        EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by UofU76 View Post
          With the economy the way it is, with the slow down of federal hiring, it would make it extremely difficult for me. What’s the turn around from when you turn down something to when your made another offer? Weeks, months, years?

Generally speaking the most sound advice is to take the first position offered.

As you said, you don't know when or if another offer will come. Plus, you start earning your federal benefits toward retirement, leave, etc. from day one on the first job.

Comment

Interesting thought process. I signed up to take the IEA test on May 27th but wasn't going to because I am now in TSU for CBP but I suppose it couldn't hurt to take the test just to have the grade for future prospects.
            CBPO
            Test: July 2008
            TO: 12/26/08
            VBT 1/21/09-passed
            Medical - 1/21/09 - cleared 4/28
            Fitness - 1/21/09 - passed
            Drug test - 2/5/09- passed
            BI - Cleared
            TSU -4/29/09 (Buffalo)
            BI2 - cleared 8/11

ICE Special Agent
            Test 7/22/09 passed

Comment

I guy I know at work is in the process to join the Marines. Yesterday he went to his recruiter to sign his papers, and his recruiter told him to come back in August because he was just told they are on hold until then because Washington is going over their budget. How crazy is that? My co worker said he wanted military police and thought the recruiter was just giving him a hard time so he said he would take infantry and the recruiter said, “no really, come back in August.” On the border Patrol web site they posted "at this time we are not taking applications" The Marines and border patrol on a hiring hold, who would of thought?
              It looks like CBP is not the only one on hold.
              58 days TSU!!! (for sf/oak which usually is always hiring)
              I just got out of the military and know all about the fiscal year budget! Every agency has probably spent all the money for FY09. I always remember our command being broke by March and already making a wish list for Oct. 1. Hiring may have SLOWED now, but when Oct. 1 hits, I think the flood gates will open!
              Geo Area: SFO/OAK
              Written: 08/23/08- 92 (87+5)
              NOR: 09/2008
              TO: 09/25/08
              Medical/Physical:10/08,09/09,10/09
              Drug Test: 11/2008
              Oral Board: 12/03/08
              BI: 03/12/2009 (Initiated 10/2008)
              Qualifications: 03/17/09
              Referred to TSU:03/19/09

IEA Agent
              Geo Area: San Francisco County
              Written:05/26/09
              T.O.:08/28/09
              Pre-Employment Forms Sent To DSC: 09/11/09
              Medical/Fitness:11/02/09
              Interview:PASSED on 11/16/09

Comment

It was a tough decision to make. However, being in TSU for CBP and having that "in my back pocket", helped make the decision a little easier. Also, I was told that I wouldn't be removed from the hiring process if I declined... so I felt somewhat comfortable holding out for the city where I currently live.

CBPO Pennsylvania
                EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                  Generally speaking the most sound advice is to take the first position offered.
                  I agree 100%. I wouldn't suggest that anyone pass on an offer. In my situation, I was willing to take the risk. Whether it pays off or not remains to be seen.

CBPO Pennsylvania
                  EOD:

Comment

• It helps if you are already employed. I have a good job right now, so I'm being careful that I take a job with the right agency. I can afford to wait it out and not go broke.

If I didn't have a job, I'd take the first offer. Hands down.
                    Last edited by bpyankees2; 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

On the flip side, get hired as an IEA, come up through the ranks earning GL-05-07-09 money instead of the lesser GS-scale and then jump into CBP...if that's your thing.

You'd already have much of the Immigration training under your belt, all you'd really need to pick up at the Academy would be Custom law and the secondary Title laws(21, 18, 49 and others.).

Comment

• Originally posted by bpyankees2 View Post
                        It helps if you are already employed. I have a good job right now, so I'm being careful that I take a job with the right agency. I can afford to wait it out and not go broke.

If I didn't have a job, I'd take the first offer. Hands down.
                        Ditto, I have a solid job at the moment also. But if I was told that I'd be removed from the IEA process if I declined.. I would have accepted the offer. No questions asked.

ps. Phils, Yanks this weekend = should be a great series.

CBPO Pennsylvania
                        EOD:

Comment

• what happens if you decline a final offer, does it put you on the the DHS **** list?
                          "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                            On the flip side, get hired as an IEA, come up through the ranks earning GL-05-07-09 money instead of the lesser GS-scale and then jump into CBP...if that's your thing.

You'd already have much of the Immigration training under your belt, all you'd really need to pick up at the Academy would be Custom law and the secondary Title laws(21, 18, 49 and others.).
                            Interesting way to look at it, thanks.

CBPO Pennsylvania
                            EOD:

Comment

• Best places to work rankings 2009:

CBP-178th place

ICE-198th place

http://data.bestplacestowork.org/bptw/overall?size=sub

Comment

• Merlin,

For the sake of conversation, if there was indeed a hiring freeze until October would that also affect things such as Background Investigations and other steps for those of us in the pipeline but not in TSU? For example, my BI is entering the eighth month. Should I expect it to not be touched until the next fiscal year?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6976 users online. 407 members and 6569 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X