300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So no calls lately...
    You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by sassy7932 View Post
      Now we are not saying cover up for major crimes, but something as far as traffic will and can be forgiven. If I wrote one of my coworkers friends a ticket, or any other officer that I don't know (and it has happened) when they ask me to cancel the ticket, I do just that.
      But what happens when that person kills an individual when they become a careless driver and run a stop sign or red light since they know if caught they will only be warned?

Originally posted by sassy7932 View Post
      Also remember, your actions can also bring hatred to yourself and towards your agency.
      I agree. But showing favoritism towards LEOs and family members can also bring resentment and hatred from community members.

Originally posted by sassy7932 View Post
      So, let me ask you, if you went out with your friends, had a few drinks and drove home. On the way, while driving, you forgot to turn on your headlights which is one of the biggest tools in catching dui's. Now, I pull you over and during the roadsides, I discover you are a CBP officer and you recently started or you are still on probation. Would you want me to arrest you so you can immediately lose your job? Or would you want me to exercise my discretion, park you car, put your keys in our property for safe keeping until you sober up and get you a ride home, or even take you home????
      Ok. If I was out having drinks and was stupid enough to drive afterwards, and pulled over, I would accept responsibility for my actions and respect the decision of the responding officer. If the officer spots a wallet badge while I was getting out my DL and decides to let that favor their decision, I would let them. Since again I respect their discretion. I defiantly would not argue and demand a DUI. But I would be very upset with myself knowing I compromised my integrity by both drinking and driving and using my LE status to circumvent the law. But, since I am smart enough to not drink and drive I know I will not be in that situation.
      Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
        But what happens when that person kills an individual when they become a careless driver and run a stop sign or red light since they know if caught they will only be warned?

I agree. But showing favoritism towards LEOs and family members can also bring resentment and hatred from community members.

Ok. If I was out having drinks and was stupid enough to drive afterwards, and pulled over, I would accept responsibility for my actions and respect the decision of the responding officer. If the officer spots a wallet badge while I was getting out my DL and decides to let that favor their decision, I would let them. Since again I respect their discretion. I defiantly would not argue and demand a DUI. But I would be very upset with myself knowing I compromised my integrity by both drinking and driving and using my LE status to circumvent the law. But, since I am smart enough to not drink and drive I know I will not be in that situation.

Ok, you seem to be confused. There is a difference in cutting someone a break for a ticket than letting them go for vehicular manslaughter. That is not what I said. I clearly said for infractions like traffic or minor infractions that warrant one to be able to make a discretionary decision especially when it is a crime that hasnt been committed against a person, property, etc. Now first you said you would accept responsibility for your actions, but when I mentioned the part about loosing the job, now you say you will let the officer cut you a break. Which one is it? Also, never say never because you don't know what will happen tomorrow!!! Now, even if you don't look out for leo's or family members the community will still resent you. So, let me ask you, who are you in it for? You, your family, your fellow brothers/sisters, or the COMMUNITY?? Trust me, you are saying it now, but if you had the job, IN NO WAY WOULD YOU WRITE A FELLOW COP!! SO I guess you would write a cop at your dept also? THE WOULD HATE YOU AND YOU WILL BE BLACKBALLED and there is no worse feeling than that!!!

Comment

Ok, you seem to be confused. There is a difference in cutting someone a break for a ticket than letting them go for vehicular manslaughter. That is not what I said. I clearly said for infractions like traffic or minor infractions that warrant one to be able to make a discretionary decision especially when it is a crime that hasnt been committed against a person, property, etc. Now first you said you would accept responsibility for your actions, but when I mentioned the part about loosing the job, now you say you will let the officer cut you a break. Which one is it? Also, never say never because you don't know what will happen tomorrow!!! Now, even if you don't look out for leo's or family members the community will still resent you. So, let me ask you, who are you in it for? You, your family, your fellow brothers/sisters, or the COMMUNITY?? Trust me, you are saying it now, but if you had the job, IN NO WAY WOULD YOU WRITE A FELLOW COP!! SO I guess you would write a cop at your dept also? THE WOULD HATE YOU AND YOU WILL BE BLACKBALLED and there is no worse feeling than that!!!
          I'm not saying you would let them go for vehicular manslaughter, I'm saying if a person's bad driving habits are continually reinforced by non-punishment they will continue that bad behavior. That’s where the vehicular manslaughter comes in since not stopping at a stop light or stop sign is a very easy way to hit a pedestrian or other motorist.

On accepting responsibility, I would respect the decision of the officer and not argue. But then it would be my responsibility to inform my supervisory of the incident. It would be a very hard decision to maybe get myself fired, but if I didn’t I would lose respect for myself. The easiest way to avoid the situation all together is to be a law abiding citizen.

But it would have been my decision about driving and my responsibility for what happens. I do not want to argue with you. It seems we both have a different understanding of what integrity is.

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
            I'm not saying you would let them go for vehicular manslaughter, I'm saying if a person's bad driving habits are continually reinforced by non-punishment they will continue that bad behavior. That’s where the vehicular manslaughter comes in since not stopping at a stop light or stop sign is a very easy way to hit a pedestrian or other motorist.

On accepting responsibility, I would respect the decision of the officer and not argue. But then it would be my responsibility to inform my supervisory of the incident. It would be a very hard decision to maybe get myself fired, but if I didn’t I would lose respect for myself. The easiest way to avoid the situation all together is to be a law abiding citizen.

But it would have been my decision about driving and my responsibility for what happens. I do not want to argue with you. It seems we both have a different understanding of what integrity is.

I have been in this field for 13 years and I have the utmost integrity and respect from my peers and the community. Ask anyone from my Chief all the way down to the officers I have trained, dispatchers, etc. Get the job and you will understand!!!!.

Comment

I have been in this field for 13 years and I have the utmost integrity and respect from my peers and the community. Ask anyone from my Chief all the way down to the officers I have trained, dispatchers, etc. Get the job and you will understand!!!!.
              If I do get the job, I hope I do understand. Thank you very much for some very insightful infomation.

Comment

• Sassy are you now CBP. or are you applying?

Comment

• somewhere, at some time, someone has to have received a call from TSU somewhat recently.

Comment

• got one... but it was 17 days ago...
                    CBPO Timeline
                    Geo: Virginia and D.C. Test: 12/10/08
                    NOR: 12/20/08 (86%) TO: 02/02/09
                    Forms: 02/11/09 VBT: 02/25/09
                    Medical: 03/03/09 Fitness: 03/03/09
                    Drug Test: 03/12/09 Qualifications: 03/26/09
                    BI: 04/09/09 (my B-day gift!)
                    Met with Investigator: 04/15/09 TSU: 04/10/09
                    The Call: 05/01/09 10.30am
                    EOD: 06/01/09 -- Dulles Airport
                    FLETC: 07/01/09 -- Class 957
                    Graduation: 10/14/09

Comment

Ok, I understand that you don't know, but in this profession, you don't ticket your brother ( meaning your biological brother and your LEO brother/sister). When you start ticketing LEO's, their family members, fire, etc. its like starting a war. We are here to protect each other and our families first. Having professional courtesy does not take away from your integrity it is just exercising discretion. If I stopped you on the street, I would not write you unless you had a major attitude and thats the only reason. It's a courtesy. Cops don't write cops, their family, doctors, etc. Its just the way it is. Now we are not saying cover up for major crimes, but something as far as traffic will and can be forgiven. If I wrote one of my coworkers friends a ticket, or any other officer that I don't know (and it has happened) when they ask me to cancel the ticket, I do just that. You cant be so tight up in this profession as you never know who you are going to need one day. Also remember, your actions can also bring hatred to yourself and towards your agency.

So, let me ask you, if you went out with your friends, had a few drinks and drove home. On the way, while driving, you forgot to turn on your headlights which is one of the biggest tools in catching dui's. Now, I pull you over and during the roadsides, I discover you are a CBP officer and you recently started or you are still on probation. Would you want me to arrest you so you can immediately lose your job? Or would you want me to exercise my discretion, park you car, put your keys in our property for safe keeping until you sober up and get you a ride home, or even take you home????
                      Sassy,

What about this;

You pull a woman, she's Inebriated. (do you call yourself off with command & state the infraction prior to contact?) She says that her husband is a "popular" PO in the next town. You "get her a ride" she goes home and unbeknownst to you, she had (before the stop) Inadvertently ingested a large dose of "PCP." As she suffers a seizure, she chokes on vomit & dies.

Question: Who's liable?

Comment

• Originally posted by grullj View Post
                        Sassy are you now CBP. or are you applying?
                        I am a PO.

Comment

• Originally posted by bostoncommon View Post
                          Sassy,

What about this;

You pull a woman, she's Inebriated. (do you call yourself off with command & state the infraction prior to contact?) She says that her husband is a "popular" PO in the next town. You "get her a ride" she goes home and unbeknownst to you, she had (before the stop) Inadvertently ingested a large dose of "PCP." As she suffers a seizure, she chokes on vomit & dies.

Its called "ACTING IN GOOD FAITH" That is something you will learn in the police academy. P.S. There is always fire rescue especially if a person is clearly intoxicated. As cops, we call fire rescue numerous times in cases like that. Fire rescue makes the determination if the person will be transported to the hospital. Also with training, you can tell if a person is on narcotics!!!!!! Besides, if fire rescue responds and the woman refuses treatment, then it is no ones fault but her own. She could have been arrested and the same thing can happen to her even after fire rescue treated and released her. Its called in custody deaths that have no bearing on what the officer did.

Also, your statement "do you call yourself off with command and state the infraction prior to contact doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Goodness, whats going on with new applicants bumping heads with FLEO and even local LEO on this thread lately?

Comment

• Originally posted by bostoncommon View Post
                              Sassy,

What about this;

This is so, so very stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
                                Goodness, whats going on with new applicants bumping heads with FLEO and even local LEO on this thread lately?
                                Who knows. They seem to think that we don't have integrity because of professional courtesy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3177 users online. 152 members and 3025 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X