300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by K0R3 View Post
    failed my VBT : (. I figured I did, good thing I have back up plans : )
    how can you say that? if you didn't officially get the results? you don't believe in yourself? I want to ask and I don't want to seem rude but if someone can't pass a simple vbt how will they survive in the academy?
    These hands need your guidance!

Comment

• Robreans i think you highlighted it already. MEETS standards, if any. Established by the agency. Therefore im interpreting whatever they certify you with... Which is the p2000.

Just my opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by davidB. View Post
        TSU will leave a message right? Just entered TSU and now i have even more questions!
        What did the message say? You might have gotten the job offer (LAX/LB).

By the way, what's your timeline like?
        CBP Officer:
        TO: 01/2009 (LAX/LGB)
        EOD: 05/23/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by vqv123 View Post
          Kor3 now you got me worried, i am awaiting my vbt results as well.
          No worries bro I'm sure you did fine. Sometimes I think I'm just cut from a different cloth than most. Not better or worse just different.
          "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

Comment

• Originally posted by Reapplied View Post
            how can you say that? if you didn't officially get the results? you don't believe in yourself? I want to ask and I don't want to seem rude but if someone can't pass a simple vbt how will they survive in the academy?
            LOL lot of assuming going on there. Was this an attempt to flame?
            "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

Comment

• Originally posted by nycmike87 View Post
              Robreans i think you highlighted it already. MEETS standards, if any. Established by the agency. Therefore im interpreting whatever they certify you with... Which is the p2000.

Just my opinion
              I hear ya, but it's all up to interpretation. The courts, in the few test cases so far have said no you don't have to qualify with the particular gun you carry on duty.

All the LEOSA is, is a replacement for the state issued CCW. Where I live I do not have to qualify with a firearm to carry under a CCW. All the wording in the LEOSA is that you are under good standing with weapons quals at your agency, if they have any quals.

BOP has written a lot about this because they are the fringe of the LEOSA coverage. A BOP "officer" does not have a department issued weapon and therefore cannot carry that weapon off duty.

Where I am there is no worry with CBP and LEOSA as our primary Fire Arms guy got the "mans" approval to carry under LEOSA any handgun we want. Just knowing that CBP won't be there for us if we get in a shootout, which I don't mind because I doubt CBP would help the case at all.

All in all, this thing is still new as far as laws are concerned and until a larger case gets looked at by a federal appeals court, we won't really know.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogz777 View Post
                What did the message say? You might have gotten the job offer (LAX/LB).

By the way, what's your timeline like?

no message yet, just got in 4 days ago but i'm wondering what will happen when they call me. Not sure what number they have, but the house phone rarely gets answered, and i always answer my cell unless I'm out on the trails (mtn biking) which I tend to be doing more and more as of late.

Written Test - beginning of August
                VBT - January 20th
                Forms were sent in around the same time
                Medical/Drug a few months ago
                Met with BI about a month ago, and it cleared and I was put into TSU 4 days ago (5/12).

Comment

• Originally posted by robeans View Post
                  I hear ya, but it's all up to interpretation. The courts, in the few test cases so far have said no you don't have to qualify with the particular gun you carry on duty.

All the LEOSA is, is a replacement for the state issued CCW. Where I live I do not have to qualify with a firearm to carry under a CCW. All the wording in the LEOSA is that you are under good standing with weapons quals at your agency, if they have any quals.

BOP has written a lot about this because they are the fringe of the LEOSA coverage. A BOP "officer" does not have a department issued weapon and therefore cannot carry that weapon off duty.

Where I am there is no worry with CBP and LEOSA as our primary Fire Arms guy got the "mans" approval to carry under LEOSA any handgun we want. Just knowing that CBP won't be there for us if we get in a shootout, which I don't mind because I doubt CBP would help the case at all.

All in all, this thing is still new as far as laws are concerned and until a larger case gets looked at by a federal appeals court, we won't really know.
                  I gotcha, yeah I guess unless it written in stone all we can do it interpet as we like. But i have a feeling we had to do an off duty shoot without the issued H&K. We would be fired or disciplined most likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by K0R3 View Post
                    LOL lot of assuming going on there. Was this an attempt to flame?

K0R3: failed my VBT : (. I figured I did, good thing I have back up plans : )

barnaj: Thats too bad. Any idea what you did that caused you to fail?

K0R3: Figure I'm too emotionally detached....

Originally Posted by Reapplied
                    how can you say that? if you didn't officially get the results? you don't believe in yourself? I want to ask and I don't want to seem rude but if someone can't pass a simple vbt how will they survive in the academy? (aka Questions..not assuming)

Sorry I was just trying to be realistic, YOU actually assumed you failed without seeing any results("you figure"aka assuming.) don't see if someone can't pass the VBT and they are all questions that don't require prior experience, Then how will someone tolerate everything the academy throws at them in a day...like I said I wasn't trying to be rude just speaking from going through the process as well as being at the academy.
                    Last edited by Reapplied; 05-16-2009, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMUnupe View Post
                      I want PH or Detroit Land, as I live about equal distance from both. I'd even take the Soo at this point. Don't really want it, but I'd take it.
                      I agree the last location I want is the Soo but I will take whatever they offer, times are tough here in MI and only getting worse day by day.
                      Tested March 08
                      TO June 08
                      Medical COMPLETE 12/08
                      VBT complete 08 passed
                      Qualification GS-5 September 08
                      BI September 08 complete April 09

FITNESS REDO AUG 7TH FAILED
                      NOW IT IS TIME TO START ALL OVER AGAIN

Comment

• Originally posted by davidB. View Post
                        no message yet, just got in 4 days ago but i'm wondering what will happen when they call me. Not sure what number they have, but the house phone rarely gets answered, and i always answer my cell unless I'm out on the trails (mtn biking) which I tend to be doing more and more as of late.

Written Test - beginning of August
                        VBT - January 20th
                        Forms were sent in around the same time
                        Medical/Drug a few months ago
                        Met with BI about a month ago, and it cleared and I was put into TSU 4 days ago (5/12).

If you don't know what number they have that you supplied them with then i suggest you call them and verify they have the number you want them to call you on what will happen is they will offer you your location or surrounding location if your choice is filled, either take it or pass it to the next person...simple.. it also sounds like you are trying to injure yourself before you get to the academy with all that mountain riding..careful they will push you to the limit.
                        Last edited by Reapplied; 05-17-2009, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Without knowing the particulars...I wouldn't place much worth on the idea that failing the VBT and failing the academy have much in relation.

In fact, I'll bet that most people, if they read this thread and VBT'd according to much of the stuff written here, would fail the VBT. It's a very personal and interpretive test.

Comment

• Originally posted by robeans View Post

My 2 cents...

I don't know if I'd go about calling LEOSA a replacement for a state-issued CCW permit. All LEOSA does for anyone is to protect them from state charges in relation to carriage of a firearm. That's it. It does nothing to insulate anyone from CBP policy or CBP administrative adverse actions.

If you are carrying under LEOSA, ultimately you are carrying under DHS/USCBP credentials...and DHS/CBP might and may just decide to jump in and create an issue in regards to it..

Ultimately, I don't see much benefit to carrying an unissued firearm under your credentials. All you really do is give the agency a chance to hold you accountable to agency policies, while at the same time you give the agency a wide-open door to walk out of which leaves you spinning on your own.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              My 2 cents...

I don't know if I'd go about calling LEOSA a replacement for a state-issued CCW permit. All LEOSA does for anyone is to protect them from state charges in relation to carriage of a firearm. That's it. It does nothing to insulate anyone from CBP policy or CBP administrative adverse actions.

If you are carrying under LEOSA, ultimately you are carrying under DHS/USCBP credentials...and DHS/CBP might and may just decide to jump in and create an issue in regards to it..

Ultimately, I don't see much benefit to carrying an unissued firearm under your credentials. All you really do is give the agency a chance to hold you accountable to agency policies, while at the same time you give the agency a wide-open door to walk out of which leaves you spinning on your own.
                              So living out here in California were the gun laws are crazy strict, if you lived out here which one would you take your chance with. A state CCW or LEOSA? I'd see it as a toss up!

Comment

• Originally posted by ExSDSO View Post
                                Off duty I wear my badge on a chain, easy to pull out and highly visible in the event I need to ID myself. I carry two wallets as well.
                                Sitting in TSU, I've got some time to think about this. Having never been a LEO, I think the badge chain sounds like the best way to carry the CBP badge offduty. In the event I would have to take action, it would be the easiest way to have the badge in hand when uniformed officers arrive. Just some thoughts as I approach 20 days in TSU.
                                Geo: Illinois
                                Test Score: 94
                                Quals: GS-7
                                T.O.: 8/7/2007
                                Referred to Schedule EOD

"Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7921 users online. 344 members and 7577 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X