300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
    I agree but that's only because I never got a small secondary. Glock 17 is not that easy to conceal.
    Great to hear you can carry whatever you want off duty as our dept. has a short list. I keep looking at the Ruger that always advertises on this site but have yet to feel it. Anyone own it?

Yup.

I like it.

So far, seems like a quality pistol.

Comment

• The only authorized carry pistol for CBP is the P2000. There is no provision for carrying a back up pistol on duty. If your Port Director is allowing the carry of a second pistol then teh responsiblity it is on the Port Dirctor, not CBP. You can carry anything you want off duty, but to be carrying legally on your creds you can only carry the P2000. It is very simple CBP does not want to take responsibility for you if you shoot someone, on duty or off. If you have not qualified with your non-issued firearm CBP will not cover you. Even HR 218 says you must qualify with what you carry off duty.
      Last edited by kc12; 05-16-2009, 06:48 AM.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by sassy7932 View Post
        As a leo and with friends working for CBP, you always have two badges. One for the uniform and a wallet badge. Also, in the PD world we have a hat badge for the class A uniform so that makes three. I dont know if CBP has hat badges, but I definitely know they have a wallet badge. Also, shirt badges do not properly fit in a wallet badge holder.
        You only get one badge guys. If you want to carry it around, you have to take it off your uniform and put it in your pocket.

Comment

• Just get a State CCW and carry what you want off duty. Just know Uncle Sam won't be coming over the hill to help you in case you have to use it.
          "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by ExSDSO View Post
            My wife was negative on the off duty carry back when I was with my last dept. till I told her stories and made her realize that everyone out there is dirty unless they prove otherwise LOL

Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
            +1. I started carrying off duty when I started seizing money. People tend to recognize you when you take large sums of money from them. The Mrs did not like it at first, but she was with me once when I was recognized. That day changed her whole attitude towards off duty carrying.
            Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• What KC said.

There are no nationally authorized back-ups in CBP/OFO.

As far as carrying anything outside of the issued firearm on your credentials...maybe. It'll depend on how your state law is written. No matter what though, CBP will likely find that carrying a personal weapon with their creds will be violating their policy. This violation may result in disciplinary action, including termination. No, you likely will not be charged for carrying your own weapon, but most likely CBP will find that you are without the legal protections of being within the scope of your employment.

Comment

• failed my VBT : (. I figured I did, good thing I have back up plans : )
                "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

Comment

• Originally posted by K0R3 View Post
                  failed my VBT : (. I figured I did, good thing I have back up plans : )
                  Thats too bad. Any idea what you did that caused you to fail?

Comment

• Figure I'm too emotionally detached....
                    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

Comment

• TSU will leave a message right? Just entered TSU and now i have even more questions!

Comment

• So, I received a small packet from Customs saying that I need to go see an optomitrist because I had LASIK done two years ago, even though I passed the eye test at my medical exam. I also have to see an audiologist because I have significant hearing loss in my left ear, which I knew, but doesn't affect me having conversations with people. Anyways which stinks is that I have to pay for the doc visits. But I am curious to know how long does it take to clear once I get the paperwork done & mailed back to customs? My background is the last step (after medical) to clear, but it won't start until my med clears. So any idea how long I could be waiting? Plus, what is it that they're looking for with the hearing issue. Clearly I can hear well enough to pass the vbt & everything else. Hope the audiologist test doesnt make me unsuitable.
                        Written: 12-11-08
                        Medical: 3-28-09 Pending
                        B.I.: 5-21-09 pending

Comment

• Originally posted by davidB. View Post
                          TSU will leave a message right? Just entered TSU and now i have even more questions!
                          Yes, if TSU calls and you don't answer they will leave a message.

What I don't know, and hopefully someone can explain is will they save the spot they were going to offer?
                          Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Kor3 now you got me worried, i am awaiting my vbt results as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                              Yes, if TSU calls and you don't answer they will leave a message.

What I don't know, and hopefully someone can explain is will they save the spot they were going to offer?
                              In my opinion..If you snooze you lose, If you have waited so long to get the job why won't you be on your toes? I know I was and still are, isn't that what the job consists of? being prepared for the unexpected!
                              These hands need your guidance!

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                                The only authorized carry pistol for CBP is the P2000. There is no provision for carrying a back up pistol on duty. If your Port Director is allowing the carry of a second pistol then teh responsiblity it is on the Port Dirctor, not CBP. You can carry anything you want off duty, but to be carrying legally on your creds you can only carry the P2000. It is very simple CBP does not want to take responsibility for you if you shoot someone, on duty or off. If you have not qualified with your non-issued firearm CBP will not cover you. Even HR 218 says you must qualify with what you carry off duty.
                                This also goes for what Merlin says above too.

HR 218 or the LEOSA states the following:

In order to be covered as a "qualified law enforcement officer," a person must meet each and every one of the following criteria: He or she must be (1) "an employee of a governmental agency"; (2) "is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law"; (3) has "statutory powers of arrest"; (4) "is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm"; (5) "is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency"; (6) "meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm"; and (7) "is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm." In addition, the privilege conferred by the law applies only when the individual "is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.

In order to exercise the privilege, the LEOSA-qualified individual must carry "the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer."

I don't see where it says you must qualify on any particular gun.

Also there the whole Iron Pigs thing in Sturgis proved that CBP falls well within LEOSA. Can't find the article, but most of us know what happened there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7646 users online. 368 members and 7278 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X