300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ExSDSO View Post
    Off duty I wear my badge on a chain, easy to pull out and highly visible in the event I need to ID myself. I carry two wallets as well.

Only time I dont carry off duty.....when I swim.....run (p2000 hard to conceal with dry fit clothing and gym shorts lol)......and when I think ill be consuming beverages containing alcohol.
    I agree with you. I dont know what these other guys are afraid of. I would rather be prepared than not be prepared!! Thats the opinion of a sworn LEO with FULL arrest powers!!! I guess with CPB they feel different because of less authority.

Comment

• Deputy Sheriff Shayne Daniel York
      Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
      California
      End of Watch: Saturday, August 16, 1997

Biographical Info
      Tour of Duty: 2 years
      Badge Number: 7635

Incident Details
      Cause of Death: Gunfire
      Date of Incident: Thursday, August 14, 1997
      Weapon Used: Handgun
      Suspect Info: Sentenced to death

Deputy York succumbed to gunshot wounds sustained two days earlier when he was shot by a robbery suspect after being identified as a deputy sheriff.

Deputy York and his fiancée, who was also a deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, were off duty in a hair salon when two suspects entered and ordered everyone to the ground. While one suspect covered the customers the other collected everyone's wallets and purses. The two suspects discovered Deputy York's badge and immediately shot him in the back of the head as he lay on the ground. Deputy York had not resisted and remained calm throughout the entire robbery trying to keep others from getting hurt.

The two suspects were arrested later in the day during a traffic stop by members of the Fullerton Police Department. In August 2000 the suspect who pulled the trigger was found guilty of first degree murder with special circumstances and sentenced to death. The other suspect was sentenced to life in prison.

Deputy York had served with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department for 2 years. He is survived by his fiancée, parents, and brother.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14952-de...ne-daniel-york

Comment

Off duty I wear my badge on a chain, easy to pull out and highly visible in the event I need to ID myself. I carry two wallets as well.

Only time I dont carry off duty.....when I swim.....run (p2000 hard to conceal with dry fit clothing and gym shorts lol)......and when I think ill be consuming beverages containing alcohol.
        you mean you don't wear with a fanny pack and ray bans to remain as an antique of the late 80s? HOW DARE YOU SIR
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• HAHA negative on the fanny pack.

SASSY...Full arrest powers. I agree some people with cbp could careless to carry a gun on or off duty it seems?

As for me, I think if I'm off duty & I point my .40 at you and you see a badge and my bore and I tell you your under arrest...he/she is not going to care what department you work for.

Id assume when you are off duty your sense of officer safety should be elevated x10. What I mean by that is if you have to take control of a situation you better be in the right mind to have command presence. You're going to do what ever it is you have to do to not get killed or hurt.

My wife was negative on the off duty carry back when I was with my last dept. till I told her stories and made her realize that everyone out there is dirty unless they prove otherwise LOL

Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
          Last edited by ExSDSO; 05-15-2009, 10:06 PM. Reason: add
          What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

My wife was negative on the off duty carry back when I was a sheriff till I told her stories and made her realize that everyone out there is dirty unless they prove otherwise LOL

My wife was the same way when I first got my CCW and started carrying to the supermarket or walmart. Now she makes sure I am armed after seeing all the news reports about carjackings, robberies, and home invasions. Except when prohibited by FL state law of course. FL law on use of force is one of the best in this union.
            Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

HAHA negative on the fanny pack.

SASSY...Full arrest powers. I agree some people with cbp could careless to carry a gun on or off duty it seems?

As for me, I think if I'm off duty & I point my .40 at you and you see a badge and my bore and I tell you your under arrest...he/she is not going to care what department you work for.

Id assume when you are off duty your sense of officer safety should be elevated x10. What I mean by that is if you have to take control of a situation you better be in the right mind to have command presence. You're going to do what ever it is you have to do to not get killed or hurt.

My wife was negative on the off duty carry back when I was with my last dept. till I told her stories and made her realize that everyone out there is dirty unless they prove otherwise LOL

That was my point exactly. I agree with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borderpatrol007 View Post
                I just took the cbp exam and i know i did very well on the logic, written part, and the other two self assesment parts since i am currently a border patrol agent. Now on the math i dont feel i did to well. Does anyone know how they come up with an overall score. Thanks alot.
                I'm sure I read how they weight the scores somewhere, but I just can't remember how. I wouldn't count yourself out until you get a letter stating so. I think it takes about a month to get the letter. Just wait and see how you scored before you jump to conclusions.

Good luck.

Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                Don't forget about showering. A soggy gun is a unhappy gun.
                Not if it's one of those cool Russian assault rifles.

Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                you mean you don't wear with a fanny pack and ray bans to remain as an antique of the late 80s? HOW DARE YOU SIR
                What's wrong with RayBans? Why do you hate General Douglas MacArthur? (He wore RayBans)

Comment

I work for DHS, in a office full of LEO's (I am not) and almost none of them carry off duty. (which was a shock to me when I first learned it) I asked one of the agents in my office why he didn't carry off duty and he said he did carry for his first 3 or so years, then it becomes a giant pain in the @ss.

Comment

• I carry more now, then when I first started.

But thats just me..

Comment

• Like with almost everything in CBP, I think when/how often one carries off-duty greatly depends on where you are and the 'local policies' in place.

In much of the country, it's either not needed or it's 'discouraged".

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        Like with almost everything in CBP, I think when/how often one carries off-duty greatly depends on where you are and the 'local policies' in place.

In much of the country, it's either not needed or it's 'discouraged".

Hmm. Never heard that before.

I thought it was a nationwide policy..

Comment

• Originally posted by ford123 View Post
                          Hmm. Never heard that before.

I thought it was a nationwide policy..
                          It is national policy. Like any other policy though, local management decides on when and how they're going to approach it.

Comment

• How do you "approach" something like that?

I am authorized to carry off duty. Thats it. I don't tell my boss when I do, and she don't tell me...
                            Last edited by ford123; 05-16-2009, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                              What about CCWs? Do you need one to carry a non-issued sidearm off-duty? And does your department recommend having one?
                              Before this one gets lost, it's my understanding that CBPO's only have to qualify with the p2000. On duty your secondary or back up can be anything you want to carry. I would suggest the HK sub compact 40 that takes the same mag. Off duty you do not need a CCW for any firearm you'd like to carry. On duty you do not need to qualify with any secondary weapon. For all of those reading this, please carry on and off duty for my kids safety
                              "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
                                ...said he did carry for his first 3 or so years, then it becomes a giant pain in the @ss.
                                I agree but that's only because I never got a small secondary. Glock 17 is not that easy to conceal.
                                Great to hear you can carry whatever you want off duty as our dept. has a short list. I keep looking at the Ruger that always advertises on this site but have yet to feel it. Anyone own it?
                                You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9077 users online. 287 members and 8790 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X