300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brader View Post
    My only issues now are the long academy out of state (married), and the poor job satisfaction ratings I've been hearing. How have your experiences been?

Thanks again
    Brader,

Sure, no problem. Your question about the COLA gave me an opportunity to learn more about it. I know Overseas TDYs get COLA but wasn't sure about Alaska.
    Most people who change careers to CBP will lose wages. Fortunately it is for a couple of years only. Those who are fresh out of school/college... will not feel any different. The pay for the first couple of years is as much as their college allowance
    Well, with regards to the academy... I was married with a child and far away from them. It was hard but also I did 6 days a week and it was done in 2 months. Now things are a bit different and more Enforcement minded, which is good. A good academy curriculum fused with tough physical requirements is the first step for us to get RESPECT from other Agencies.
    I worked at Seaport, Airport and Landborder(presently). Knowledge of all aspects of the job is to your benefit, especially when those hard to get TDYs and promotions knock on the door...

Any other questions, just ask
    sigpic

Comment

• Anyone in Miami hear anything new?
      I took the test in November. So far I have Done the medical/physical and VBT. Still waiting for backround and drug test to be scheduled.
      A few days ago I received a "Congrats on passing the physical" letter along with an excercise guide.

Comment

• Well I chose St. Thomas and leave in 12 days, Thanks everyone for your help and I wish all of you the best of luck!

Comment

• Deleted....
          Last edited by Saladine; 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Anyone been in the process for 8 or more months and has San Ysidro or Otay Mesa as their port of choice?

Am I the only one who looks at CASS everyday. Its practically my screensaver/wallpaper lol!
            What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

• Originally posted by ExSDSO View Post
              Anyone been in the process for 8 or more months and has San Ysidro or Otay Mesa as their port of choice?

Am I the only one who looks at CASS everyday. Its practically my screensaver/wallpaper lol!
              Wow, obsessive, hehe. I have heard that CASS only updates on Tuesdays and Thursdays so you can give your monitor a break.

Comment

• Originally posted by formerNOPD View Post
                We're not going to that pay scale. CBP is under COPRA, and we'll stay on the GS pay scale, or at least that is the current word. It will not be repealed, as congress is for the officers having the coverage.
                No where in the COPRA regulation does it state what GS scale will be used. Below is the beginning of the CFR that covers COPRA. Note the last section I posted it is the definition of base pay. It is fixed by law or adminstrative action which means they could very well use the covered LEO pay scale.

Only time will tell exactly how this is going to shake out. That is one of the things that are being discussed between the union and the agency in the implementation discussions.

24.16 Overtime services; overtime compensation and premium pay for Customs Officers; rate of compensation.
                (a) General. Customs services for which overtime compensation is provided for by section 5 of the Act of February 13, 1911, as amended (19 U.S.C. 267), or section 451, Tariff Act of 1930, as amended (19 U.S.C. 1451), shall be furnished only upon compliance with the requirements of those statutes for applying for such services and giving security for reimbursement of the overtime compensation, unless the compensation is nonreimbursable under the said section 451, or section 53 of the Airport and Airway Development Act of 1970, as amended (49 U.S.C. 1741). Reimbursements of overtime compensation shall be collected by the port director from the applicants for the services. Customs Officers entitled to overtime compensation and premium pay, pursuant to the provisions of the Customs Officer Pay Reform legislation (19 U.S.C. 261 and 267, as amended), shall not receive pay or other compensation for that work under any other provision of law. Reimbursable overtime services shall not be furnished to an applicant who fails to cooperate with the Customs Service by filing a timely application therefor during regular hours of business when the need for the services can reasonably by foreseen, nor in any case until the maximum probable reimbursement is adequately secured.

(b) Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following words and phrases have the meanings indicated:

(1) The Act refers to Part II, Subchapter D of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, Public Law 103–66.

(2) Administrative workweek means a period of seven consecutive calendar days beginning Sunday and continuing through the following Saturday.

(3) Base pay means the rate of pay fixed by law or administrative action for the position held by the Customs Officer.

Comment

• Spanish

I have a quick question,
                  I have my test on April 10th in Chicago. I don't speak Spanish at all and I have only taken it in middle school. My question is, is the Artificial Language test pretty tough, and are there a lot of guys that dont know Spanish before the job, or is it hopeless for me? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by cwick2004 View Post
                    I have a quick question,
                    I have my test on April 10th in Chicago. I don't speak Spanish at all and I have only taken it in middle school. My question is, is the Artificial Language test pretty tough, and are there a lot of guys that dont know Spanish before the job, or is it hopeless for me? Thanks
                    Well its only relevant if your testing for the Border Patrol. If your testing for Customs, its not part of the test. Either way, that artificial language test is bullshi* Youd be better off takin the spanish and guessing, youd probably do better

Comment

• a question to those who have gone through the medical portion of the process. When they administered the eye exam, was it the type where you stood X amount of feet away from the wall, then covered one eye and then tried to read the eye chart, then switched eyes and repeat? Or was it the type where you stood X amount of feet away and with both eyes, you just read the chart. I ask only because I have done both for different jobs that I have held over the years and also, my eyesight seems to have diminished some and I am considering getting lasik. Thanks

Comment

• HELLO!

I'm new here and was just wondering ...I took the CBP test in Oct and received my NOR and i scored a 77 is it possible to get hired with this low of a score? Or am i dreaming? Also i just changed my geographic location from
                        South Florida to Bufallo N.Y. per the latest announcement it should be faster. Any truth to that? I would like to get started as fast as possible!

Comment

• Originally posted by MNSBELL View Post
                          HELLO!

I'm new here and was just wondering ...I took the CBP test in Oct and received my NOR and i scored a 77 is it possible to get hired with this low of a score? Or am i dreaming? Also i just changed my geographic location from
                          South Florida to Bufallo N.Y. per the latest announcement it should be faster. Any truth to that? I would like to get started as fast as possible!

I'm only an applicant and am scheduled to take the written on 3/15... but I have been reading up extensively on CBP forums online. From what I've heard, Buffalo is has been hiring at a steady pace and many officers there anticipate that trend continuing well into the summer months. Others with test scores right in your range are now working the bridges in Buffalo. If you are looking to get on faster, changing your geo. pref. from South FL to Buffalo was a good move. Good luck.
                          ICE IEA Philadelphia FO (Dingmans Ferry, PA)
                          Written: 5/15/08
                          NOR: 5/20/08
                          TO: 10/28/08
                          Medical/Drug Test: Cleared from CBP
                          Fitness: 2/02/09
                          BI: 3/15/09
                          OB: 4/24
                          EOD: 7/27
                          FLETC: 7/29 (Class 928)

CBPO Pennsylvania
                          Written: 3/15/08
                          NOR: 4/2/08
                          TO: 5/22/08
                          Pre-Emp Forms: 6/2/08
                          Fitness/Medical: 6/18/08
                          VBT: 6/30/08
                          Drug Test: 7/10/08
                          Quals: (GS-7) 7/23/08
                          Met w/ BI: 9/24/08
                          BI submitted: 10/10/08
                          TSU: 4/2/09
                          Removed from TSU (med/fit): 6/4
                          EOD:

Comment

• Damn I was hoping CASS would update today since its my BIRTHDAY!?! No luck lol
                            What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

• Originally posted by ExSDSO View Post
                              Damn I was hoping CASS would update today since its my BIRTHDAY!?! No luck lol
                              well HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Comment

• I was just wondering if you can use a calculator when taking the test, I can do the math but obviously it will be easier and less of a headache if i can use one. Also do you know what kind of supplies we should bring besides two number 2 pencils, and paper.
                                thanks alot i appreciate any responces i get.
                                Tested March 08
                                TO June 08
                                Medical COMPLETE 12/08
                                VBT complete 08 passed
                                Qualification GS-5 September 08
                                BI September 08 complete April 09

FITNESS REDO AUG 7TH FAILED
                                NOW IT IS TIME TO START ALL OVER AGAIN

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6758 users online. 250 members and 6508 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X