300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lone_wolf025 View Post
    Can anyone direct to an area where I can inquire with customs as to my status? I received my notice of results from the test back in September, scoring a 92 with no veteran preference. I had heard that I should've gotten my initial packet anywhere from 4-8 weeks after the NOR, but its been about 6 months now.
    Email your inquiry to this address: [email protected]

Of course they usually respond to your tentative ID #, but if you aint got one im sure your social will be adequate. Good Luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by matyoka View Post
      Are you in Jersey allready or planning to move there?
      Born & raised in NJ so I am quite used to high cost of living and high taxes!

Comment

• Ry greve and barnaj thank you both for your help. I'll be contacting them shortly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brader View Post
          1.) Somewhere I saw something about an initial station post along the mexico border. 2.) I really only have interest in this job if I am able to work solely in Anchorage. 3.) Also, does this position earn the 25% COLA? 4.) I was told it paid well, but from what I've seen the starting pay is fairly low.

Thanks,
          Hello Brader,

Here are some answers for you:
          1.) You are the one choosing the job location, unless you join Border Patrol. They are stationed for the first 2 years on the South.
          2.) Again, you tell CBP where do you want to work. Alaska has a high rate of turnaround, we lost one guy from the Canadian border to Alaska. You should have no problem getting a position there.
          3.) CBP gets 25% COLA in ALASKA
          4.) Depends on what are you doing now? Working hard physical labor for a good pay or you are willing to sacrifice 3 years of your life for a "fairly low-er" pay? Most GS grade hire will reach minimum $70,000 per year(there are some isolated ports with no OT). That includes some OT and Sundays at 50% pay and shift differentials. If you are making that now busting your *****, imagine making that in a couple of years with minimal physical labor and trying to make a difference...
          Last edited by matyoka; 03-09-2008, 04:45 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Ry greve View Post
            If you received confirmation of a test date, you should have or will be receiving a study guide, study it. It is math, english grammar, reading comprehension, logical reasoning, and a psyc analysis. They are timed sections. I think total time for the entire test was about 5 hours. A sort of SAT if you ever took one of those in high school.

Good luck.

Thank you...
            " Never judge others unless you truly know them"

Comment

• Two things...

One,
              COLA should not be confused with LEAP, AUO or "LEO" pay. I'm pretty sure that AK does indeed have a 25% COLA for CBPO's.

Two,
              Not every GS-11 in CBP is making $70,000K per year. Not every CBPO has the opportunity to make 70,000K per year. Many don't.

Comment

• Merlin,

You are absolutely right. Alaska does in fact get COLA(The numbers 25% confused me with LEO pay) I just spoke to our guy who transfered upthere. Even though it was his childhood dream to live there, the dream got crushed one month after he got there. Alaska is for Alaskans in his words...

On your second paragraph, GS-11 base without any locality pay is $54,365 It is easy to make $16,000 in OT no mather where you are. The OT at my port is very limited, but the Sundays, holidays and shift differentials come to at a minimum $8,000 per year. Maybe I am wrong, but $70k can be reached.
                sigpic

Comment

Merlin,

...On your second paragraph, GS-11 base without any locality pay is $54,365 It is easy to make $16,000 in OT no mather where you are. The OT at my port is very limited, but the Sundays, holidays and shift differentials come to at a minimum $8,000 per year. Maybe I am wrong, but $70k can be reached.
                  "No matter where you are"?

How about the PoE's at Whitlash or Willow Creek, are they seeing 16K in OT...or 8K in premium pay?

I haven't had the opportunity to make 16K in OT in the last 4 years totaled..."where I am". I also don't see 8K per year in premiums.

Most ports have it, some don't. It all depends.

Comment

• Whitlash and Willow Creek are both open on Sundays and Holidays. They get those premiums and with only 3 officers working(vacations-callouts), they might have some OT as well. As I said, I might be wrong, but only 5% of the port are as small as Withlash/Delbo/Willow Creek. I don't see why the rest of 95% could not make the $70k figure.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Well...now we're moving closer to agreement. :-}

I'll agree that at most ports and with most CBPO's 70K is within reach. Just not all.

Comment

• Yessir, we looking pretty good now )
                        sigpic

Comment

Hello Brader,

Here are some answers for you:
                          1.) You are the one choosing the job location, unless you join Border Patrol. They are stationed for the first 2 years on the South.
                          2.) Again, you tell CBP where do you want to work. Alaska has a high rate of turnaround, we lost one guy from the Canadian border to Alaska. You should have no problem getting a position there.
                          3.) CBP gets 25% COLA in ALASKA
                          4.) Depends on what are you doing now? Working hard physical labor for a good pay or you are willing to sacrifice 3 years of your life for a "fairly low-er" pay? Most GS grade hire will reach minimum $70,000 per year(there are some isolated ports with no OT). That includes some OT and Sundays at 50% pay and shift differentials. If you are making that now busting your *****, imagine making that in a couple of years with minimal physical labor and trying to make a difference...
                          Thanks a bunch for the info,

That's all good to hear, looks tempting
                          Right now I'm a 911 dispatcher & reserve police officer, but am looking at getting on full time as law enforcement. I know this isn't that similar to working a regular patrol position, but right now positions are hard to come by in the area I want to work. And I'm making 45K a year, so I just didn't want a paycut.

My only issues now are the long academy out of state (married), and the poor job satisfaction ratings I've been hearing. How have your experiences been?

Thanks again

Comment

• Can Help You

Deleted....
                            Last edited by Saladine; 08-20-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                              Pay at the GS-5, GS-7, and GS 9 level will change. A covered 5/7/9 make more then an uncovered 5/7/9. The pay scale evens out at grade 10. I don't think you will be seeing AUO. Of course, if the administration gets it repealed like they want it won't matter.

FB
                              We're not going to that pay scale. CBP is under COPRA, and we'll stay on the GS pay scale, or at least that is the current word. It will not be repealed, as congress is for the officers having the coverage.

Comment

• Thanks Saladine,

I just want to get my Foot in the door, I am also 28 and I want to get started, I am pretty sure that I am going to take it, Your personal opinion if you were going to pick an Island which one would it be?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11025 users online. 396 members and 10629 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X