Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any info on background stuff

    Does anyone has any info on the background process? How long does it takes? ETC.

    Comment


    • What are the written and video tests like?

      Comment


      • pay

        I have some questions regarding pay. With 10 years LE experience and a B.S. I apparently only qualify for a GS5. How does someone survive on 28,000 a year. I realize there is OT involved but are there is anything else that effects the base pay?

        Also, how does the paybanding system work? Thanks in advance for any informed positive remarks.

        Comment


        • Does anyone have any information on CBP jobs in CT or VT?

          Just overall, people happy with the job?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by george4
            I have some questions regarding pay. With 10 years LE experience and a B.S. I apparently only qualify for a GS5. How does someone survive on 28,000 a year. I realize there is OT involved but are there is anything else that effects the base pay?

            Also, how does the paybanding system work? Thanks in advance for any informed positive remarks.

            15% evening diff., 20% night diff, 50% Sunday diff., double time for holidays.

            As far as paybanding goes, I don't know of anyone who really knows what effect it'll have in the future. The good news...it appears dead, at least for now.

            Comment


            • Customs video based test (VBT)

              Hey,
              Gotta notice that i gotta take this test soon. And ive done some research and have the basic idea, but has anyone taken this test that can tell me exactly what its all about?
              thanks!

              Comment


              • Mass/RI Locations

                Does anyone have any insight on locations in MA/RI? Good places to work, OT, ETC? Thanks and stay safe!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by USfed
                  CPB will never match up to the US Customs service pre 9/11. If you've been with the government for quite some time, specifically the customs service, you will agree that the merge with Immigration killed the Customs service. You can listen to the rumor mill all you want and think that CBP is going back to the way it was before 9/11 but the damage is done and it will take hundreds of years to get the Customs agency back to where it was. It was a great orginaztion I loved going to work everyday, have many arrests under my belt, now I can't wait to get out. I see guys coming in and leaving as soon as they can and go over to the state police, s/a positions etc.

                  Bottom line and I'm sure quite a few legacy Customs agents will agree with me that the US CUSTOMS service which was at the top of the game has been ruined.

                  Just my two cents!
                  CBPenis definately ruined both Customs and INS but with all due respect, Customs took over INS. It was never the "merger" it was proposed to be. Management took over Inspections and Investigations. They also are in all top management HQ positions. Thank God Im part of DRO where Customs has not been able to get their hands on. Yes, Im an II.

                  Comment


                  • Vbt

                    Originally posted by barnaj
                    Hey,
                    Gotta notice that i gotta take this test soon. And ive done some research and have the basic idea, but has anyone taken this test that can tell me exactly what its all about?
                    thanks!

                    I just got done taking that test a few weeks ago. It is only as hard as you make it. They told me that I am not allowed to tell you exactly what is in the test however if you have half a brain I would net sweat it. To give you an idea of what to expect, you will be watching a video that puts you in a general situation (one that you could run into at any job and it may have nothing to do with CBP). After setting up the scene you will be givin the chance to respond. During the VBT you will be videotaped and you will have a tape recorder strapped to you chest because they will want to see/hear how you respond to the situation. At 1st it was pretty weird to me but after the 2nd scenario, I was pretty comfortable with the whole thing. The VBT consists of 8 scenarios and will take about 30 minutes to get through all of them.

                    Let me know if you have any more questions.
                    By the way. It took me 8 months to get my tenative selection letter after I took the initial written test and I only scored an 88 with no military background. Watch out for the physical test. The stepping test was a LOT harder than I ever imagined and it really kicked my butt!!

                    Comment


                    • Wow, I just signed up for the CBPO test but after reading all this, I think I may cancel it. I do not want to be sitting at a checkpoint all day.

                      Ive already taken Border Patrol and ICE SA exams, maybe ill still with those and wait for DSS to come up.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by zxcvbnm
                        Wow, I just signed up for the CBPO test but after reading all this, I think I may cancel it. I do not want to be sitting at a checkpoint all day.

                        Ive already taken Border Patrol and ICE SA exams, maybe ill still with those and wait for DSS to come up.
                        You might want to keep active with CBP too, just in case the BPA/ICE move drags it's feet. Some of the pre-employment processes will transfer over, and one could do worse than spending a few months as a CBPO, if it takes the BP/ICE a few years to work you in.

                        Comment


                        • i tested last May, but havent heard anything yet other than getting my score in the mail.

                          Am I still in the running or am i SOL? I tried to register for the new announcement but it said I had to wait a year to test again.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by mjcek
                            i tested last May, but havent heard anything yet other than getting my score in the mail.

                            Am I still in the running or am i SOL? I tried to register for the new announcement but it said I had to wait a year to test again.
                            The good news...you are still in the running. The bad news...you may get a TO today or never. Nobody outside of hiring knows what the cut-off is for whichever ports you picked.

                            Comment


                            • FLETC Question.

                              Can anyone share with me their experience from when they attended the FLETC academy. What was the daily life like? Is it similar to Army boot camp? Will they shave my head?
                              I'm half way through the pre-employment process to become a CBP officer and I was just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

                              Also, does anyone know if CBP issues me all the utilties that I have to wear on my belt after I start my new position (i.e. handcuffs, gun,etc) or do I have to purchase all that stuff on my own?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jth1999
                                I just got done taking that test a few weeks ago. It is only as hard as you make it. They told me that I am not allowed to tell you exactly what is in the test however if you have half a brain I would net sweat it. To give you an idea of what to expect, you will be watching a video that puts you in a general situation (one that you could run into at any job and it may have nothing to do with CBP). After setting up the scene you will be givin the chance to respond. During the VBT you will be videotaped and you will have a tape recorder strapped to you chest because they will want to see/hear how you respond to the situation. At 1st it was pretty weird to me but after the 2nd scenario, I was pretty comfortable with the whole thing. The VBT consists of 8 scenarios and will take about 30 minutes to get through all of them.

                                Let me know if you have any more questions.
                                By the way. It took me 8 months to get my tenative selection letter after I took the initial written test and I only scored an 88 with no military background. Watch out for the physical test. The stepping test was a LOT harder than I ever imagined and it really kicked my butt!!
                                Yeah bro, thanks. I actually took the VBT myself last wednesday and it was easy as hell and actually kinda fun as compared to all the written ****. Yeah i took my test back in May or something, got a 90 and have a military background. Didnt hear a thing then all of a sudden the day before christmas eve i got my tentative selction notice and since then took my medical, physical, and vbt. hopefully the stuff keeps movin fast for both of us. good luck bro!

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11460 users online. 457 members and 11003 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X