Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, my background investigator finally showed up on Tuesday. He has been making the rounds in the neighborhood. About how long of a wait is it from the time you get through this portion of the investigation until you are cleared?
    CBPO - Nirgendwo in Amerika

Comment

• Originally posted by ford123 View Post
      Well, 90 miles is too far..obviously.

But in Boston, I would say that it would be a 90,000 dollar a year job you gave up. Not that that is bad, quality of life is most important.

I have no idea what a computer assistant makes though, or the room for advancement with the DOD.
      ouch... i could have moved closer to Boston... 90k you say? must be with alot of OT. I think i made a bad decision now. after all the running around, getting all the tests and everything accomplished, all the numerous copies.
      i am still shocked and confused. the DoD job is probably much easier to come by, but those jobs are like very competitive and pre-selected kind of, not that it applies to me. i wish i didnt have 2 offers at the same time. about 12 hrs apart that they contacted me. I really wanted to be CBPO, but the other job is more of convience. probably bad choice. i even have Crim Justice degree and now will be working in Network Control Center at an Air FOrce Base.

Comment

• Originally posted by formerNOPD View Post
        Does the DoD Job automatically promote you to GS11 in 2 years? The CBP one does....
        the DoD is a dead GS-7. I know the CBP is GS-11 after 3 yrs. 63K about a year with an OT. but living near boston is kind of expensive. Well i can still apply again for the new announcment, just in case i dong like the DoD job and if i am lucky enough to pass that written 5 hr test again, i might get an offer year later again. got 92 with vet pref on the last. when i left that testing place, i didnt think i would pass. math not my best friend.

Comment

• Yeah, I have been on for about 6 and a half years..Once you are on for a while, its COPRA that makes you money.....I get about 300 or so dollars a pay period of nite diff, couple a hundred for working a few sundays, and double time for overtime, thats 64.00 an hour for me so thats where it comes from.

Just for working evenings its about an extra 10,000 on top of the base pay, so it adds up quick.

Comment

• Originally posted by ford123 View Post
            Yeah, I have been on for about 6 and a half years..Once you are on for a while, its COPRA that makes you money.....I get about 300 or so dollars a pay period of nite diff, couple a hundred for working a few sundays, and double time for overtime, thats 64.00 an hour for me so thats where it comes from.

Just for working evenings its about an extra 10,000 on top of the base pay, so it adds up quick.

thats seems like alot of $$$$. whats a typical work week for a CBPO? different post different day or what?
            and what do you usually start off with? I worked as a security forces in the USAF, worked 12am-8am shift. do the CBPO have grave shift? and are noobs usually working weekends and holidays?
            I think i will apply again under this new announcment.

Comment

• Schedules depend on the port.

Here at JFK, this is the most common one..

Your days off rotate.

WEEK #
              |
              1. Mon. Tues.
              2. Tues. Wed.
              3. Wed. Thur.
              4. Thur. Fri.
              5. Fri. Sat. Sun.
              6. Sat Sun. Mon.

We have a Mid-8am shift. Midnight shifts get 20% night diff.

Comment

• Can you elaborate on your schedule for week 5 and 6? Does that mean you have three days off in a row? Any idea if any of the ports in the Los Angeles area use the same schedule?
                ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                July 09 Oral Board
                Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Yes, two three day weekends in a row.

I have no idea what other ports do, sorry.

Maybe we can have some others chime in....

Comment

• Hello everyone, I have a couple questions. I'm taking this exam next week Saturday, was this a tough exam? I'm aiming for a career within federal law enforcement and CBP seems like a great career or a great start. Anyone have any tips or advice about the exams and the process of getting hired? The entire process takes about 10 months? or longer, i mean before you can get into FLETC. I would appreciate any advice you guys can give someone that is pursuing a career in this field. Also is being a CBP officer tough on family life?

Comment

• "Also is being a CBP officer tough on family life?"

Very much so, in the first few years...(3)

Comment

• Ford123--Would you pay weeks run Sunday through Saturday? The schedule would make sense then, as your weeks 5 and 6 would actually be three weeks.
                        6. Fri/Sat
                        7. Sun/Sat
                        8. Sun/Mon

With week 7 being a split weekend Sunday at the begining of the week and Saturday at the end. Am I under standing this correctly?
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                          Ford123--Would you pay weeks run Sunday through Saturday? The schedule would make sense then, as your weeks 5 and 6 would actually be three weeks.
                          6. Fri/Sat
                          7. Sun/Sat
                          8. Sun/Mon

With week 7 being a split weekend Sunday at the begining of the week and Saturday at the end. Am I under standing this correctly?

Yes, Pay periods run Sunday through Saturday. 26 PP per year. Our schedule here is much the same as the one presented - 3 shifts - 0600-1400, 1400-2200, 2200-0600 with some of the special teams having differant shifts such as 1030-1830 etc. Sundays are 50% diff, evenings are 15% and nights are 20%. OT is doubletime.

Comment

• I would have to agree with Ford on this one. I'm a new officer and near the bottom of the seniority list. As a new officer you will be forced into alot of ot because they don't have to pay you as much as senior officers. You will also have problems with vacations. Don't plan a vacation too far in advance because you may not get the dates you bid for. That being said, it does not last forever. Things seem to get a little better once you get to gs 11. Working for CBP has it challanges so be prepared to work long hours. Depending on what port you get you can bet on working at least 3 hours past your original shift.
                            Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• HeyQix, whatup? You're not exagerating. I just got home after a short 9 hour shift. Today really flew by after the 12 hours on thursday and the 16 hours on friday (got another double coming up on monday). Long hours? YES, but I'm LOVIN this job. Working with some good people- veterans and rookies from recent classes. We're finding the of dope and you wouldn't believe where they can hide people in a vehicle. Nearly every day I'm seeing stuff I wouldn't have thought was possible if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Must sleep now. Got to go to church in a few hours and then back to the port.

Stay Safe.
                              ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Is there any way to check out a port before you commit to working there for several years of your life?
                                ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                                Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                                March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                                July 09 Oral Board
                                Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                                Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12235 users online. 449 members and 11786 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X