300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RPG76 View Post
    can anyone advise or help make a decission... just got an offer from CBPO today in Boston MA and also got an offer from Dept of Defense as a computer assistant yesterday, both are GS-7. the DoD Job is 15 min away and the CBPO is 1.5 hrs away. are the cbpo jobs good and all?

thanks
    depends what kinda peerson you are. as for me, if the money is the same or better, i'd think i'd take the job thats a 15 minute drive

Comment

• Originally posted by deyosurf19 View Post
      Barnaj,

What's the number for the BI people, or do they give that out?

I am sick of waiting, I want to change jobs but I don't want to start a new job and do all that training if they are going to call me. This is LAME.
      I feel your pain. I just got a job offer for a great job which requires 3 months of training away from home. I've completed a couple of steps in the CBPO hiring process. Since I really want to work for CBP, I think I'll have to pass on the other opportunity. I hope I'm making the right decision. Very stressful!

Comment

• Originally posted by Miami Eric View Post
        I feel your pain. I just got a job offer for a great job which requires 3 months of training away from home. I've completed a couple of steps in the CBPO hiring process. Since I really want to work for CBP, I think I'll have to pass on the other opportunity. I hope I'm making the right decision. Very stressful!
        yeah its quite the pain in the ***. at least if they were curtious enough to give you more detailed updates than "your case is in the security office" for unlimited amounts of time. all you can do is stick with it and try not to worry about it. maybe one day you'll be suprised.

Comment

• Anyone know the time frame for a Background to be completed? Local LE is about 90 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
            depends what kinda peerson you are. as for me, if the money is the same or better, i'd think i'd take the job thats a 15 minute drive
            and it was not the time alone. atleast $52 per tolls a week plus gas and 90 miles one way. so i chose the job thats 2.5 miles away from home. in a long run, CBP GS-11 would be very nice, but with this DoD job will have a normal working schedule, weekends and holidays off. i've been waiting for the CBPO job for a while, and then the DoD job came out of nowhere. Not sure if i did the right thing. i know someone else in Boston location will be happy today to get a call. good luck to the rest of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don951 View Post
              Anyone know the time frame for a Background to be completed? Local LE is about 90 days.
              they say 3 to 6 months, but that all depends on how many places youve lived and jobs youve had, etc. I figure that pretty accurate, but more often than not you get an "interim" clearance so you can get down to the academy and start working. Good deal if youve lived a boring life, but kinda nerve racking if you got anything in your past that you may get pulled outta class for...

Comment

• Just a quick reminder to follow up on all your paperwork that you send in. I was a few days from being DQ'd because my follow up medical paperwork was never received. Call and verify everything. This is the one time when I didn't do it, and I almost lost my chance because of it.

Now I have to resubmit my ankle exam.
                ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                July 09 Oral Board
                Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• I was reading pre-employment requirements on cbp.gov and it mentioned, "excessive use of alcohol" will be rated unsuitable for this position. Now, I know a lot of us throw back a few beers on the weekends, but what consists of excessive use by their standards?

Comment

and it was not the time alone. atleast $52 per tolls a week plus gas and 90 miles one way. so i chose the job thats 2.5 miles away from home. in a long run, CBP GS-11 would be very nice, but with this DoD job will have a normal working schedule, weekends and holidays off. i've been waiting for the CBPO job for a while, and then the DoD job came out of nowhere. Not sure if i did the right thing. i know someone else in Boston location will be happy today to get a call. good luck to the rest of you.
                    Well, 90 miles is too far..obviously.

But in Boston, I would say that it would be a 90,000 dollar a year job you gave up. Not that that is bad, quality of life is most important.

I have no idea what a computer assistant makes though, or the room for advancement with the DOD.

Comment

can anyone advise or help make a decission... just got an offer from CBPO today in Boston MA and also got an offer from Dept of Defense as a computer assistant yesterday, both are GS-7. the DoD Job is 15 min away and the CBPO is 1.5 hrs away. are the cbpo jobs good and all?

thanks
                      Does the DoD Job automatically promote you to GS11 in 2 years? The CBP one does....

Comment

• Originally posted by Don951 View Post
                        I was reading pre-employment requirements on cbp.gov and it mentioned, "excessive use of alcohol" will be rated unsuitable for this position. Now, I know a lot of us throw back a few beers on the weekends, but what consists of excessive use by their standards?
                        well im sure they are looking for drunk and disorderly type stuff on your record and making sure you aint some big time rummy. But do yourself a favor and dont be telling your medical examiner that you drink 7 beers a day, 7 days a week, even if you do!

Comment

• "But do yourself a favor and dont be telling your medical examiner that you drink 7 beers a day, 7 days a week, even if you do!"

Actually only tell them you drink 6 beers a day 5 days of the week. Just kidding. lol
                          What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ry greve View Post
                            GS 11 in 2 years. I had not heard that. I un derstood from a port supe that we would be promoted from our entry level after passing our 2 year probation then a year later the next grade and so on till we top at 11. My TSL was for a GS 7 so after 2 years of probation I would pick up 9 and a year later 11 making it 3 years. So for those going in at a GS 5 it would be 4 years to make 11, still not bad. Just what I was told from the field.

Thiis position is dynamic and going through many changes with the upcoming 6C; Fletc training standards, pay, and promotion will all be changing I am sure.

Just what I have heard lately andn I am sure we are all hearing different things. Take it all with a heep of salt.

Whoever told you that is wrong. If you start as a 7, you'll get 9 in one year, then 11 the second year. If you start as a GS5, it'll take 3 years to GS11.

Pay will remain the same. We will not be changing pay scales from what I'm hearing, as we're on COPRA now, and to go AUO would screw the majority of the officers in the long run. I am currently and have been for nearly 5 years a CBP Officer.

Comment

• Originally posted by formerNOPD View Post
                              Does the DoD Job automatically promote you to GS11 in 2 years? The CBP one does....

GS 11 in 2 years. I had not heard that. I un derstood from a port supe that we would be promoted from our entry level after passing our 2 year probation then a year later the next grade and so on till we top at 11. My TSL was for a GS 7 so after 2 years of probation I would pick up 9 and a year later 11 making it 3 years. So for those going in at a GS 5 it would be 4 years to make 11, still not bad. Just what I was told from the field.

Thiis position is dynamic and going through many changes with the upcoming 6C; Fletc training standards, pay, and promotion will all be changing I am sure.

Just what I have heard lately andn I am sure we are all hearing different things. Take it all with a heep of salt.

Comment

• If you start out as a GS5, you pick up GS7 one year later, GS9 one year after that, and GS11 one year later. GS12 and higher are competitive.
                                Unless it's life or death related - it's all B.S.!

Caption on Avatar: Jihad This!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9248 users online. 459 members and 8789 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X