Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by junito9210 View Post
    TSU for about 60 days !
    Today is day 67 in TSU and counting. But I am not losing hope.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
      Today is day 67 in TSU and counting. But I am not losing hope.
      67 days TSU In CBPO, for me the only thing left is the VBT. 60 days in TSU for BP ! Where is your GEO ?
      Last edited by junito9210; 04-24-2009, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• I applied June of last year. Got the call a few weeks ago. Douglas AZ.

Erik

Originally posted by soto2635 View Post
        i was wondering if any of you have applyed for the southwest region? and if so how long have you been waiting or have waited?
        CBP Officer
        NOR: 7/7 98
        QUALIFICATIONS: Pending (Qualifying based on education)
        GEO PREFERENCE: AZ
        PRE-EMPLOYMENT FORMS:Pending
        MEDICAL: 9/4 Shows Pending in CASS
        FITNESS: 9/4 Shows Pending in CASS
        VBT: 9/4 (Tucson, AZ) COMPLETED in CASS
        DRUG TEST: Pending
        BI: CASE IS IN THE SECURITY OFFICE (met with the investigator 10/7)

Comment

• Originally posted by junito9210 View Post
          67 days TSU In CBPO, for me the only thing left is the VBT. 60 days in TSU for BP ! Where is your GEO ?
          Florida (throughout). If you are 60 days into TSU for BP you should be close to the top of the list at least. Last time I checked the TSU List on HonorFirst it looked like they were calling people for late Febuary. Only bad part for the BP now is geo locations don't matter. They just offer what's open.
          Last edited by TPA3312; 04-24-2009, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FordMustang View Post
            Does anyone know if being a prior metro cop for a large city will help at all in the hiring process or count for a higher pay grade? Of course I would still have to do the academy though...Fed's don't do academy waivers.
            Having prior LE experience will not give you a leg up on the process, it might in some cases even slow down your BI, since they have to look into the time you served and if you ever took advantage of your "position" or "power" as a peace officer. As to helping you qualify for a higher starting pay grade maybe, it all depends on the combination of education and experience, plus if they give you the chance to explain in detail why you should be considered for a GS-7 instead of a GS-5, frankly I would just go with the 5 since by the time you get back from FLETC you will be almost there for the 7...

Hope I helped a bit since I think it is not the first time you post this question... or a similar question was asked and not answered a while back.
            CBPO
            Written: 08/29/2007
            EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Yoda, you are still not in TSU? It must be frustrating to see so many people pass over you while all you can do is sit and wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                Having prior LE experience will not give you a leg up on the process, it might in some cases even slow down your BI, since they have to look into the time you served and if you ever took advantage of your "position" or "power" as a peace officer. As to helping you qualify for a higher starting pay grade maybe, it all depends on the combination of education and experience, plus if they give you the chance to explain in detail why you should be considered for a GS-7 instead of a GS-5, frankly I would just go with the 5 since by the time you get back from FLETC you will be almost there for the 7...

Hope I helped a bit since I think it is not the first time you post this question... or a similar question was asked and not answered a while back.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreeAgent View Post
                  Right On Brother! You driving down there? I'm so hopeing they'll put me in a hotel throughout the academy....
                  No, my car sucks so I'll be flying and waiting to get a new car after I graduate.

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                    Yoda, you are still not in TSU? It must be frustrating to see so many people pass over you while all you can do is sit and wait.
                    It is extremely frustrating!... It's now been a month and a half since my file left the hands of the supervising adjudicator, and I have yet to hear anything from my determination. Nothing in the mail and the same blue "PENDING" on CASS and hotline next to security.
                    CBPO
                    Written: 08/29/2007
                    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by 5hole View Post
                      For those of you who are currently CBPOs I think it would help me and other applicants to know what our career options would be like with CBP. Is this job documented as a LE position that would qualify us for other LE jobs with other agencies? Would this job qualify us for other positions with other Federal agencies in general? If so, what type of careers? Are CBP postions NOT at a POE obtainable and something to shoot for (I've seen things listed on USAjobs.gov)? Obviously you are all still working for CBP, but if 5-10 years into your career you wanted a change what options would you have? I mean, would a person be dumb to think a CBP job could some day lead to a career with FBI, CIA, Secret Service, etc?
                      Appreciate in advance any answers that are given. I am at a crossroads and it is going to be tough for me to decide. Thanks.

What's a documented LE position?

Currently CBPO's are not considered "LEO's" for the purpose of pay and retirement. Since we were added on to the retirement sections as a stand-alone last summer, we currently have the identical retirement as a "LEO". Many other federal FLEO's are not defined as "LEO's" under pay and retirement as well.

In a practical sense you'd have to be spinning some sort of twisted agenda to even think of defining CBPO's as anything other than "LEO's".

As far as using CBPO experience to qualify for LE jobs or for other positions with other agencies? Yes and yes. Lots of people leave CBPO positions and join Border Patrol, or become IEA's, ICE Agents, Join State or Local law enforcement, etc.

There are some positions in CBP that are outside a "port". The greater DC area has many. There are training positions at the academy. Depending on how one defines "port" there are passenger pre-clearance positions in many international locations and dozens of overseas cargo facilities.

I guess the easiest way of putting it is if you put in 3-5 years as a CBPO, work hard, get done what needs to get done and then look to moving elsewhere or upwards...there's plenty of places to go, either within or outside of CBP.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        What's a documented LE position?

Thanks. Based on the arguments of late I said "documented law enforcement position" meaning if in 5 years I choose to apply for a deputy sheriff job would they look at me as entry level or lateral? Would they consider me to have proper LEO experience or not? I believe you answered my question. I also found a site that listed this position as a federal law enforcement job so I will make sure I ignore any posts that contradict this.

If anybody would like to share stories of CBPOs that moved on to a "higher up" CBP position or moved on to a non-homeland security law enforcement job I would love to hear how they got there. Just trying to see what the future may hold. Thanks.
                        Written: 12/9
                        NOR: 12/12 (94)
                        TO: 1/29
                        VBT: 2/26 completed
                        Medical: 4/27 completed
                        Fitness: 3/2 completed
                        Drug: 3/12 completed
                        BI: completed with interim clearance (met BI on 3/18)
                        Quals: completed on 3/19
                        The Call: 4/27
                        EOD: 6/1 Blaine, WA
                        FLETC: 7/1

Comment

Thanks. Based on the arguments of late I said "documented law enforcement position" meaning if in 5 years I choose to apply for a deputy sheriff job would they look at me as entry level or lateral? Would they consider me to have proper LEO experience or not? I believe you answered my question. I also found a site that listed this position as a federal law enforcement job so I will make sure I ignore any posts that contradict this.

If anybody would like to share stories of CBPOs that moved on to a "higher up" CBP position or moved on to a non-homeland security law enforcement job I would love to hear how they got there. Just trying to see what the future may hold. Thanks.
                          You may not want to bring up the whole discussion of CBPOs being LE and if you can lateral transfer to other LE positions outside CBP right now. For the past couple days there has been some pretty heated "discussions" about it by senior CBPOs.

Comment

Offhand I can't think of any state or local agency who will not require you to attend their academy, if that's part of what you mean by "lateral". "Proper LEO experience"...As KC said earlier that'll largely depend on your port and it's policies. In some places it's possible you may not do much beyond administrative immigration violations. Southern border, larger ports, you'll do "proper LEO work", especially if you're motivated enough to get up and go after it.

Comment

• So I got in from work today, and noticed I had a voicemail. It was from the hiring unit calling me to "talk to me about the CBPO position." Anyone know what ports on the SW border people are going to lately? I won't be able to call them back until Monday.
                              "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• Originally posted by sap123 View Post
                                So I got in from work today, and noticed I had a voicemail. It was from the hiring unit calling me to "talk to me about the CBPO position." Anyone know what ports on the SW border people are going to lately? I won't be able to call them back until Monday.

The busiest is San Ysidro, but I heard El Paso can mirror the amount of traffic Ysidro gets at times. Lots of new people today in our briefing area, id say about 20 pre fletc and 4 or 5 that just got back. I enjoy San Ysidro plus living in San Diego if you don't mind spending a little bit more money for room and board.
                                What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4180 users online. 183 members and 3997 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X