300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MERLIN are you sure your really a CBP or are you a

Tech. Then again your arguments do seem to make me believe you fit right in at CBP.
    FBI Degree Required
    DEA Q: Is a college degree required in order to qualify?
    A: The Most Competitive candidates possess a bachelor's or master's degree, along with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.95 or higher. Special consideration is given to candidates with degrees in Criminal Justice/Police Science or related disciplines; Finance, Accounting or Economics; foreign languages (with fluency verified) in Spanish, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, dialects of Nigerian languages, Chinese, Japanese; computer Science/Information Systems; and Telecommunications/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering.

AS for your other statement . ENHANCED duh . If you hire on after July 08 you must retire at 57 . enhanced applied to us meaning improved.
    6 c LOOK at what I said paraphased " LIKE THE OLD 6 C " I used that term because I thought it would be over your head if I used the new term

Comment

• Merlin how little you know

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      Now who's blowing smoke...

6C retirement only applies to folks hired before 1983...give or take. "Our" retirement is enhanced because, among other things, "we" aren't forced to retire at 57...or 60...or 85, for that matter, and we get to keep our COPRA 1/2 cap towards retirement, instead of the standard 25% AUO.

CBPO's with the opportunity to cap out will work considerably less time for the same or better money than a PA, or anybody working AUO. PA's work midnights too, at 10% differential compared to our 20%. PA's also work Sundays...at 25% compared to our 50%. Their AUO is straight time, compared to our COPRA double time. Any PA's who's working a 40 hour week isn't seeing AUO, and it's highly unlikely he's making anything near what a CBPO makes for a 40 week. A CBPO working the same number of hours a BP works is going to make far more money than that PA, guaranteed.
      As all the BPs told me. And I have seen their checks. The two hours each day is not talked about .
      As for Agents they get an hour to work out.
      They answer the phone boom
      Many Offices allow 1 hour drive time to work and home.
      And has both Agents who gave lectures at FLETC Customs back then said. LOOK I always make sure I make phone calls or work on the computer at least two hours a day WINK.
      And if you think as a SENIOR 11 Legacy I did a single i 94 today or 30 trunks WINK your dumber then I thought.

Comment

• GUYS I am trying to respond to your PMs

But I am overwhelmed. I give you the straight talk.
        And as I told ya if your looking to push paper
        Don`t mind working Holidays, Weekends, shift work after a few years your making 60k
        Pension good
        Vacation time good but you bid on it so depending on where your at no summer months off
        Sick days good
        DOING 20 to 30 years INSANITY !

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunt the Jackel View Post
          I do not know how many work at our PORT. My Port has well over 500 or so. Your statements lack much meaning. " We get plenty of military " So do we . So what ? I work with 10 ex military on my shift. All were typists more or less. We also have a lot of retired teachers . How many retired teachers become Police Officers or Ice agents ? BY THE WAY I have a Masters . So add me to your list. HIGH SPEED ? TELL ME ABOUT DAY ! I already know what you do so don`t blow smoke. I told you mine .
          But you forgot. Today
          I started with an
          Hour on Primary shopping, work, school , about 60 cars
          1/2 Secondary compliance, compex, i 94s park cars etc
          Counter you know what that is typing 101
          1/2 Primary see first hour add 20 trunk checks
          Lobby Greeter
          Lobby sign in
          Now tell me about your day
          Oh and tell me what LAW ENFORCEMENT you did ? Did you detain an NCIC
          or do ZT ????????
          Maybe you had a big day opened a trunk found a load. And did three hours of paperwork . WHILE the locals or ICE did interview and controlled delivery
          LOL re read what I wrote. No one's blowing smoke but you. You've been with the agency for 6 years, if you hate it so much get out. Go be the "real Police". Don't talk about it, be about it. I have been very honest and up front to all that have asked me about this job. That being said you are intitled to your opinion. But don't minimize the work that we do. Like I said this is not a highspeed low drag job, nor is it traditional LE, but we do indeed serve a LE function.
          Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

But I am overwhelmed. I give you the straight talk.
            And as I told ya if your looking to push paper
            Don`t mind working Holidays, Weekends, shift work after a few years your making 60k
            Pension good
            Vacation time good but you bid on it so depending on where your at no summer months off
            Sick days good
            DOING 20 to 30 years INSANITY !
            Thanks for the straight talk. Even though it's not something all of us want to hear. But as applicants it's good to hear both sides of what the job is like.

Would you tell us what happened to you? Did you start out because of the money or so you could go to school? And why did you stay after getting your Masters? Could you not find an opening with a police department, or did they not accept your CBPO experience? I know it is a lot of questions and we did get off to the best start. But you may be able to help some applicants who want to use a CBPO position as a spring board for other LE work.
            Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• if its so bad leave?
              Last edited by Ofc. Slater; 04-23-2009, 07:49 PM. Reason: idk

Comment

• We serve a LE function like TSA

Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                LOL re read what I wrote. No one's blowing smoke but you. You've been with the agency for 6 years, if you hate it so much get out. Go be the "real Police". Don't talk about it, be about it. I have been very honest and up front to all that have asked me about this job. That being said you are intitled to your opinion. But don't minimize the work that we do. Like I said this is not a highspeed low drag job, nor is it traditional LE, but we do indeed serve a LE function.
                Second where do I state I have 6 years LOL. DId I ? Or did I say I have over 6 years ? How do you know my past ? You don`t . I can just see your Primary interview. I guess we do need to require a CJ Degree at min.
                As for going and being Real Police. WHO are you to tell me what to do ?
                YOU SEEm very upset that I am exposing your make believe world . Is that it ? So you never worked real LEO ? Cannot become an Agent ? Sore spots? Or perhaps your a clerk with a gun scared of doing any real work ? Is that it ?

Comment

• I've sat in an outport for a double-shift on OT all the while watching TV and not a single person/vehicle crossed while I was there.

I've qualified for firearms while on OT.

I've attend different training classes while on OT.

Heck, I've even filled sandbags and built dikes around a port while on OT.

If PA's are going catch *winks* for spending AUO working out in the station weight-room or answering phones then I guess I too have *wink*worked*wink* my share of shifts, and got paid more money for less hours *wink*working*wink* than the PA's.

Comment

• well thank god I won't be jumping over any wall or chasing any bad guys or sleeping at a hotel or moving from one point to the next. I spent the last 6 years of my life sleeping in hotels from Asia to the Middle East to Africa to the Caribbean. Being an action hero has no appeal to me. I am a people person so I have no problem doing mundane task while speaking to someone. I don't mind working on weekends, nights or holidays that is my schedule by choice, so I will gladly get paid to do it.
                    I don't take vacations in the summer because NYC is already fabulous, I go away in the winter, fall and spring.
                    I think I have found the perfect job for me!

The action junkies can go out and save the world while I go to work and go home to enjoy quality time with my family.

Some people are motivated by different things

Comment

• I know of no Police Dept which let you laterel

Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                      Thanks for the straight talk. Even though it's not something all of us want to hear. But as applicants it's good to hear both sides of what the job is like.

Would you tell us what happened to you? Did you start out because of the money or so you could go to school? And why did you stay after getting your Masters? Could you not find an opening with a police department, or did they not accept your CBPO experience? I know it is a lot of questions and we did get off to the best start. But you may be able to help some applicants who want to use a CBPO position as a spring board for other LE work.
                      I don`t know of any States that allow lateral transfer
                      FROM CBPO. If you do let me know. There are a few that may after we get driving. YOU would still need to show classes like investigation a Flordia requirment. Most other Federal Police Uniform will not accept CBPO Acadamy . Maybe that will change. You usually need UPT from FLECTC .
                      My FIRST three weeks on the job a 300 pound Supervisor called me into the OFFICE . She had never worked anywhere else in her life. And said lets get something straight. " WE PROCESS PAPERWORK HERE THAT IS YOUR JOB." "sO START TYPING FASTER " at FIRST the money WILL be enough for a young guy. If you desire to be in Law Enforcement I would say after three years you will be insane. AS for a Spring Board it does `nt help but it does `nt hurt . MOST FEDERAL AGENTS came off the Street . It helps for IE but they hire at least 50% off the street.

Comment

Second where do I state I have 6 years LOL. DId I ? Or did I say I have over 6 years ? How do you know my past ? You don`t . I can just see your Primary interview. I guess we do need to require a CJ Degree at min.
                        As for going and being Real Police. WHO are you to tell me what to do ?
                        YOU SEEm very upset that I am exposing your make believe world . Is that it ? So you never worked real LEO ? Cannot become an Agent ? Sore spots? Or perhaps your a clerk with a gun scared of doing any real work ? Is that it ?
                        LOL! Dude I am far from angry. You sir are the one with the angry tone. Your're right, I don't know you. The only thing I know is you seem to really dislike your job. All I know is you really seem to enjoy generalizing peoples motive for joining the agency. You don't know my past, and just maybe it is you who feels you are a clerk with a gun who is scared to do any real work. As for the can't get a job as an agent, I'll let you know. I have just started applying.
                        Last edited by qixfeet; 04-23-2009, 08:10 PM.
                        Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Merlin at least the truth comes out

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          I've sat in an outport for a double-shift on OT all the while watching TV and not a single person/vehicle crossed while I was there.

I've qualified for firearms while on OT.

I've attend different training classes while on OT.

Heck, I've even filled sandbags and built dikes around a port while on OT.

If PA's are going catch *winks* for spending AUO working out in the station weight-room or answering phones then I guess I too have *wink*worked*wink* my share of shifts, and got paid more money for less hours *wink*working*wink* than the PA's.
                          And out port. JUST as I thought. You work at a smaller area.
                          So you got a lazy mans job. Good for you . If that is the best you can do with what God gave you so be it. But these guys who are going to NY, LA , or a Port of Entry where the cars never stop . The aliens line up for their renewals, tn, i 94, imports etc . are not going to be watching tv .
                          And after their third 160 for the day. A couple of hour shots . A little CAOS action. No heat or air in the booth . THEY will be on USA jobs. FUNNY YOU NEVER. answered ABOUT THE beginning of this threAD from 2005 with a lot of guys telling the same story as me.

Comment

• WHY are you applying for an Agent job ?

Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                            LOL! Dude I am far from angry. You sir are the one with the angry tone. Your're right, I don't know you. The only thing I know is you seem to really dislike your job. All I know is you really seem to enjoy generalizing peoples motive for joining the agency. You don't know my past, and just maybe it is you who feels you are a clerk with a gun who is scared to do any real work. As for the can't get a job as an agent, I'll let you know. I have just started applying.
                            LOL ! To funny . You love your job but want to be an agent ? Why do you want out of a 100k job ? How long ya been here ? Not that long is my guess and you want out ?

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post

I wouldn't be calling it "straight talk".

There is a fair amount of truth to what Hunt's saying, but it's spun so far to the negative side that it's pretty much useless in a practical sense.

If you and Hunt both split a $100,000,000 jackpot in gold bullion in Vegas, you'd be happy with the $50 million. Hunt would be all moaning and complaining about how heavy all that gold is.

Comment

I don`t know of any States that allow lateral transfer
                                FROM CBPO. If you do let me know. There are a few that may after we get driving. YOU would still need to show classes like investigation a Flordia requirment. Most other Federal Police Uniform will not accept CBPO Acadamy . Maybe that will change. You usually need UPT from FLECTC .
                                My FIRST three weeks on the job a 300 pound Supervisor called me into the OFFICE . She had never worked anywhere else in her life. And said lets get something straight. " WE PROCESS PAPERWORK HERE THAT IS YOUR JOB." "sO START TYPING FASTER " at FIRST the money WILL be enough for a young guy. If you desire to be in Law Enforcement I would say after three years you will be insane. AS for a Spring Board it does `nt help but it does `nt hurt . MOST FEDERAL AGENTS came off the Street . It helps for IE but they hire at least 50% off the street.

Why so salty brother? Ive read some of your posts and I can see that you are very upset about something. I work with a lot of prior military and LE. I myself am prior LE, hence my screen name. CBP is not the same as working patrol, if you dont know that then you are a fool. (All you new guys, it gets repetitive but you can make your job as fun as you want....and make as much money as you want.)

Like every day, I made an arrest today, and helped on outbound ops? That was pretty cool. We have pursuits here. Maybe if you didnt work at a boring port you wouldn't be so salty.

If youd like go on tecs wait for a tdy to a Southwest border man up and apply. Come to the Row, we could use all the help we can. Who knows maybe youll learn something new.

Im edumicated with a degree as well, and Ive been through a lot of LE training. So am I qualified?

When we have joint ops with local and state, these guys tell US...CBP that our job is more dangerous than theirs. Thats just some of their opinions.
                                What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7963 users online. 417 members and 7546 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X