300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reapplied View Post
    So sorry to hear that, well at least it happened now than you going to the academy and them pulling you out of class and this permantely on your sf51 the NPOA's you received were they for this position? if it was for cbp then you didn't have a clean record, and did you respond to the NOPA? if you received any NOPA's it should state what they found, and then it's your responsibility to either defend yourself with a rebuttal but you have to get in contact with you ex employer to find out what was in your personal records, or it might be one of your old neighbors said something bad about you or one of your refrences said something.
    i responded to both nopas and was cleared both times thus allowing my hiring process to continue. one NOPA i received was due to a mistake on their part and the other was for a complication with my mothers birth certificate. i have not yet met with my BI but to my understanding you meet with your BI before he/she meets with your references/neighbors/employers. i dont know...i hope i can sort this out and get my hiring process back on track. so close too, my drug screen just cleared and all i had left was security.

Comment

• Your correct to some extent .

Originally posted by co94 View Post
      You keep mentioning a degree. A degree can be a great thing to have, but not in every situation. By no means, is it the promised land. I am coming from a bad job to cbp and cant wait to start. I have several friends with degrees who have been sitting in the same cubicle for the past 5-10 years for half of what I will make as a cbpo, and they tell me that they would kill to be in the position I am in. Since we are being honest here, degrees are very overrated.
      It comes down to the individual and what they want out of life. You can have 5 degrees, but still not have what it takes to make it in the world. Some people can ace every test, but still not have what it takes to sit through an interview or perform the duties of certain jobs. Alot of degrees give you the knowledge to go to a job and do the same repetitive paperwork over and over, day in and day out. Hmmmm....sound familiar?!!!.
      Every job has positives and negatives. As I said, each job comes down to the individual and what they want out of life. If you want something you will get it through your desire to have it. NOTHING else matters.
      What I am saying is that the majority of people wind up at CBP because they do not have a Degree. SO many doors are shut to them. And yes we have many new hires with degrees who could not find jobs. Most Police Dept want an ASSOC Degree . But again he point is working at CBP is much like working at a factory or a Walmart . With high pay . And Police Dept and Agencys like the FBI attract people who want LAw Enforcement. CBP attracts many people who do not.

Comment

• I meant the parts that showed CBP

Originally posted by 500pearl View Post
        Airport is a funny story, legally possible but logistically impossible. Hanks was able to live in and upgrade the terminal under repair, especially getting hired to join the crew contracted to renovate the airport, is all heart warming and makes the viewer fuzzy inside. Logistically it is impossible. Put on the same plane back, easiest solution to any situation.
        One the OFFICER sitting there stamping I 94s .
        All the Officers seeing a pill bottle and craving any action going wild
        And the Mgt saying let him go then he will be someone elses problem. That is a famous CBP motto !

Comment

• Originally posted by JRizEJ6 View Post
          i responded to both nopas and was cleared both times thus allowing my hiring process to continue. one NOPA i received was due to a mistake on their part and the other was for a complication with my mothers birth certificate. i have not yet met with my BI but to my understanding you meet with your BI before he/she meets with your references/neighbors/employers. i dont know...i hope i can sort this out and get my hiring process back on track. so close too, my drug screen just cleared and all i had left was security.
          that is so weird that you didn't meet your BI yet and you got dropped. sorry i was under the impression you meet with your BI already, Did you ask what did the letter stated they found as far as security.?
          Last edited by Reapplied; 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM.
          These hands need your guidance!

Comment

• Sheesh...

6C/12D retirement is 6C/12D retirement, it's irrelevant that we obtained it through a process different from that which defines "LEOs". That's like arguing that black men and black women have different voting rights, based on the fact that black men gained the right to vote from the 15th amendment to the US Constitution...while women gained the right to vote from the 19th.

More or less silly...if you ask me.

"Enhanced CBPO retirement" applies to CBPO's because it's enhanced...read "better" than standard 6C/12D. We all get to keep COPRA...for good or bad. Anybody who chooses to give up their "enhanced" retirement to accept a position with standard 6C/12D retirement is more than able to do so. It's more than possible to hire on as a CBPO at 34 and jump to another covered position at 42.

Mostly, "enhanced retirement" applies to people like Hunt and myself; anybody on the job roughly before 12/07. We're not forced to retire at any age; we can keep working as long as we want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunt the Jackel View Post
              What I am saying is that the majority of people wind up at CBP because they do not have a Degree. SO many doors are shut to them. And yes we have many new hires with degrees who could not find jobs. Most Police Dept want an ASSOC Degree . But again he point is working at CBP is much like working at a factory or a Walmart . With high pay . And Police Dept and Agencys like the FBI attract people who want LAw Enforcement. CBP attracts many people who do not.
              Border Patrol does not require a college degree. ICE...no degree. Actually, I'd be willing to bet that for most federal LEO jobs, minimum standards do not require a degree. I'm not sure about the FBI but I'd hazard a bet that they don't require a degree...a person most likely won't be competitive without one but required??? Maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reapplied View Post
                that is so weird that you didn't meet your BI yet and you got dropped. sorry i was under the impression you meet with your BI already, Did you ask what did the letter stated they found as far as security.?
                It is not weird or uncommon to be dropped like that, he simply FAILED pre-screening, was sent NOPA's and sadly didn't beat them ("apparently")... if no other issues were found from his initial check. MHC or even IA won't tell you what the findings were, you need to wait for the letter to arrive to officially KNOW what it is they found and "why".

BTW
                MHC does not have a BI division, this is all handled by IA in DC, and MHC knows nothing except if you are cleared or not.

MERLIN,
                I'm not sure about FBI Police, but for FBI SA you need to have a Degree to apply, and it is a Combination of Education and Experience that makes you eligible to apply. That is why they have the minimum age requirement as well to somewhat guarantee the applicant has at least a few years of experience under his/her belt.
                It is a 4 yr degree and 3 yrs job experience, plus "critical skills" to apply...
                Last edited by yoda; 04-23-2009, 05:50 PM. Reason: correction
                CBPO
                Written: 08/29/2007
                EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by JRizEJ6 View Post
                  just got off the phone with MHC and they informed me that i have been dropped from the hiring process due to security. they said they sent a letter out to me on the 21st so i guess ill have to wait for that. i guess they found something in my background that they didnt like. which is strange because my background clean except for a few traffic tickets. has anyone ever been in this position? hopefully they give me some sort of option to respond and sort this out but when i spoke with MHC they said i have been dropped. ive received two NOPAs before and never have i been just straight dropped. i guess we'll have to see whats in that letter
                  Keep you head up man and wait for that letter. We are about to graduate soon and there is still a handful with certain BG issues that needs to be cleared up. I would hate to see any of my classmates leave this far in...

Comment

That sir is false. Most of the officers I work with have degrees. Quite a few have advance degrees. People become CBPOs for many reasons. Some for an in to fed LE, some for job security, some for the pay. We get plenty of military, police officers, COs, and officers from other fed agencies. Some just want the experience so they can move on to other agencies, others like what they are doing. Your statement is that this agency attracts people who don't want to be in LE is totally false. Again no one here is painting the picture that CBPO is high speed low drag position, but to say it is not LE is just not the truth.
                    Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• You cannot go to a covered position from CBP

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      Sheesh...

6C/12D retirement is 6C/12D retirement, it's irrelevant that we obtained it through a process different from that which defines "LEOs". That's like arguing that black men and black women have different voting rights, based on the fact that black men gained the right to vote from the 15th amendment to the US Constitution...while women gained the right to vote from the 19th.

More or less silly...if you ask me.

"Enhanced CBPO retirement" applies to CBPO's because it's enhanced...read "better" than standard 6C/12D. We all get to keep COPRA...for good or bad. Anybody who chooses to give up their "enhanced" retirement to accept a position with standard 6C/12D retirement is more than able to do so. It's more than possible to hire on as a CBPO at 34 and jump to another covered position at 42.

Mostly, "enhanced retirement" applies to people like Hunt and myself; anybody on the job roughly before 12/07. We're not forced to retire at any age; we can keep working as long as we want.
                      If you are over the age limit. Check your facts . One reason and this is a guess. Is CBP would not bargin that . As we lose so many people already. There thoughts were I believe that if we hire you ,once you pass 37 your ours.
                      THE TERM ENHANCED is used to mean better then what we had . Not better then the old term 6c . AGAIN read what I said it is equal to an Agents retirement. HOWEVER you are not considered LEO . IF it was not a big deal CBP would have given it to us instead of fighting over it. AS FOR are wages a GS 11 step whatever will have to work far harder then a Border Patrol Agent to make the same money . I have compared my check and hours worked many times with BP . AS they were just as curious . We made about the same. HOWEVER I HAD to woRK A MIDNIGHT SHIFT and lot of overtime hours. As opposed to their 40 hour wink wink with extra pay.
                      Last edited by Hunt the Jackel; 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• My statement is based on ancidoal evidence

Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                        That sir is false. Most of the officers I work with have degrees. Quite a few have advance degrees. People become CBPOs for many reasons. Some for an in to fed LE, some for job security, some for the pay. We get plenty of military, police officers, COs, and officers from other fed agencies. Some just want the experience so they can move on to other agencies, others like what they are doing. Your statement is that this agency attracts people who don't want to be in LE is totally false. Again no one here is painting the picture that CBPO is high speed low drag position, but to say it is not LE is just not the truth.
                        I do not know how many work at our PORT. My Port has well over 500 or so. Your statements lack much meaning. " We get plenty of military " So do we . So what ? I work with 10 ex military on my shift. All were typists more or less. We also have a lot of retired teachers . How many retired teachers become Police Officers or Ice agents ? BY THE WAY I have a Masters . So add me to your list. HIGH SPEED ? TELL ME ABOUT DAY ! I already know what you do so don`t blow smoke. I told you mine .
                        But you forgot. Today
                        I started with an
                        Hour on Primary shopping, work, school , about 60 cars
                        1/2 Secondary compliance, compex, i 94s park cars etc
                        Counter you know what that is typing 101
                        1/2 Primary see first hour add 20 trunk checks
                        Lobby Greeter
                        Lobby sign in
                        Now tell me about your day
                        Oh and tell me what LAW ENFORCEMENT you did ? Did you detain an NCIC
                        or do ZT ????????
                        Maybe you had a big day opened a trunk found a load. And did three hours of paperwork . WHILE the locals or ICE did interview and controlled delivery

Comment

If you are over the age limit. Check your facts . One reason and this is a guess. Is CBP would not bargin that . As we lose so many people already. There thoughts were I believe that if we hire you ,once you pass 37 your ours.
                          THE TERM ENHANCED is used to mean better then what we had . Not better then the old term 6c . AGAIN read what I said it is equal to an Agents retirement. HOWEVER you are not considered LEO . IF it was not a big deal CBP would have given it to us instead of fighting over it. AS FOR are wages a GS 11 step whatever will have to work far harder then a Border Patrol Agent to make the same money . I have compared my check and hours worked many times with BP . AS they were just as curious . We made about the same. HOWEVER I HAD to woRK A MIDNIGHT SHIFT and lot of overtime hours. As opposed to their 40 hour wink wink with extra pay.

Now who's blowing smoke...

6C retirement only applies to folks hired before 1983...give or take. "Our" retirement is enhanced because, among other things, "we" aren't forced to retire at 57...or 60...or 85, for that matter, and we get to keep our COPRA 1/2 cap towards retirement, instead of the standard 25% AUO.

CBPO's with the opportunity to cap out will work considerably less time for the same or better money than a PA, or anybody working AUO. PA's work midnights too, at 10% differential compared to our 20%. PA's also work Sundays...at 25% compared to our 50%. Their AUO is straight time, compared to our COPRA double time. Any PA's who's working a 40 hour week isn't seeing AUO, and it's highly unlikely he's making anything near what a CBPO makes for a 40 week. A CBPO working the same number of hours a BP works is going to make far more money than that PA, guaranteed.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post

MERLIN,
                            I'm not sure about FBI Police, but for FBI SA you need to have a Degree to apply, and it is a Combination of Education and Experience that makes you eligible to apply. That is why they have the minimum age requirement as well to somewhat guarantee the applicant has at least a few years of experience under his/her belt.
                            It is a 4 yr degree and 3 yrs job experience, plus "critical skills" to apply...
                            Yes...I believe you are correct.

I'll stand by the point that for the majority of federal "LEO" jobs, there is no minimum requirement to have a college degree or any college education.

Comment

• YODA

They were sent to the academy already? I Think there is a background department there at MHC did they transfer you there? seems like a lot of the hiring has been on a hault!

well if he said his background is clean then an interim should of been a breeze but i guess something went wrong. Well that still sucks, I know what it feels like! Keep on going man...when one door closes another one will open!
                              These hands need your guidance!

Comment

• Not sure why your hung up on Degrees ?

[.... I'm not sure about the FBI but HERE ARE THE REQUIrments 'To become an FBI Special Agentyou must be a U.S. citizen or a citizen of the Northern Mariana Islands. You must be at least 23 years of age, but younger than 37 upon your appointment as a Special Agent. You must possess a four-year degree from a college or university accredited by one of the regional or national institutional associations recognized by the United States Secretary of Education. You must have at least three years of professional work experience. You must also possess a valid driver's license and be completely available for assignment anywhere in the FBI's jurisdiction.

d hazard a bet that they don't require a degree...a person most likely won't be competitive without one but required??? Maybe.[/QUOTE]

But

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7319 users online. 407 members and 6912 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X