Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    Exactly.

One, running a 12 minute 1.5 mile isn't all that hard. Just about anybody who puts in the effort to run the 1.5 in 12 minutes will get there.

Two, and more importantly, If you can run a 12 minute(or better) 1.5 mile you give yourself breathing room should/when you pull a muscle, tweak an ankle, wrench a knee or otherwise injury yourself to the point you lose time on the run.

Running a 14-15 minute 1.5 mile leaves you with no room to spare if/when you get hurt.
    Good point indeed. I ran backwards half a lap and still managed to do 1.5 in the 11's. Bottom line is put in the effort and the run will be cakewalk. Now if you want to break some FLETC records, I believe for my age bracket (20's) was 6 minute something for 1.5 miles.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreeAgent View Post
      WooooHooooo...... I got "THE CALL"
      Congrats, I'll see you in May when I get back from the bug infested Brunswick..

Comment

• Hey, Thanks Fellas... I'm excited to start on May 18 I had asked my boss to let me go about a month ago so I can start getting in better shape for fletc. Perfect timeing as I'm getting married as well the week prior to my EOD start date.

Comment

Perfect timeing as I'm getting married as well the week prior to my EOD start date.
          Thats a good week for you. Congrats!
          ICE IEA Philadelphia FO (Dingmans Ferry, PA)
          Written: 5/15/08
          NOR: 5/20/08
          TO: 10/28/08
          Medical/Drug Test: Cleared from CBP
          Fitness: 2/02/09
          BI: 3/15/09
          OB: 4/24
          EOD: 7/27
          FLETC: 7/29 (Class 928)

CBPO Pennsylvania
          Written: 3/15/08
          NOR: 4/2/08
          TO: 5/22/08
          Pre-Emp Forms: 6/2/08
          Fitness/Medical: 6/18/08
          VBT: 6/30/08
          Drug Test: 7/10/08
          Quals: (GS-7) 7/23/08
          Met w/ BI: 9/24/08
          BI submitted: 10/10/08
          TSU: 4/2/09
          Removed from TSU (med/fit): 6/4
          EOD:

Comment

• freeagent how long you waited in TSU?

Comment

• 61 days man, you in TSU right now?

Comment

61 days man, you in TSU right now?
                FreeAgent, I couldnt remember if you said that you had called TSU to see where you were at in line for the "call" or not? If so, what did they tell you when you called them? Congrats with getting the call...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizzy930 View Post
                  Good point indeed. I ran backwards half a lap and still managed to do 1.5 in the 11's. Bottom line is put in the effort and the run will be cakewalk. Now if you want to break some FLETC records, I believe for my age bracket (20's) was 6 minute something for 1.5 miles.

In the broadest sense the bottom line is put in the effort and the entire physical portion of the academy will be more or less a cakewalk.

Ideally, people should get there in good enough shape to where the PT sessions are more of a relief from the stresses of the academics and the rest of the programs, rather than needed exercises to build them up strength-wise. Do that and you come about as close to assuring graduating as you possibly can. Show up at a point where PT is a struggle and all you really do is make it all that much harder and riskier on yourself.

Between applying for the job and EODing there’s at least several months of wait time. Use that time wisely toward getting into shape and you’ve already fought half the battle before crossing the gate into FLETC.

Comment

• FreeAgent-It's weird that an agency will start you out in the middle of a pay period. Usually when you come on board your EOD is the Sunday date of a beginning pay period. I have a buddy that I work with that just got the call to report to Norfolk on the 10th.

Comment

• Does anyone know if being a prior cop for a large metro area helps at all in the hiring process or bumps you up a paygrade?

Comment

• Enough already !

Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                        Just to squash some of the arguing, this comes straight from cbp.gov:

Types of Careers with CBP
                        In general, CBP has three categories of careers:

Mission Critical – Our Frontline Law Enforcement
                        Most of CBP’s workforce serves on the frontline. We have three law enforcement careers:

Over 18,000 Border Patrol Agents protect 1,900 miles of our border with Mexico and 5,000 miles of our border with Canada. ( Border Patrol – Now Hiring! )
                        More than 20,000 CBP Officers ensure the Nation’s safety by screening passengers and cargo at over 300 ports of entry. ( CBP Officer )
                        Nearly 1,000 Air and Marine Interdiction Agents use their specialized training and high-tech equipment to prevent people, weapons, narcotics, and conveyances from illegal entry by air and water. ( CBP Air & Marine - Now Hiring! )
                        Mission Critical – Not Law Enforcement
                        CBP has other mission critical occupations that are serving on the frontlines but are not law enforcement.
                        YOUR CREDS WILL SAY
                        Making arrests
                        conduct searches
                        bear firearms
                        serve warrant
                        AND IF YOU WANT TO PRETEND YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY
                        We do not make arrests we detain
                        We conduct searches THE SAME AS TSA that is it .
                        YOU will not serve a warrant
                        You carry a gun off duty THANKs to the UNION . CBP would rather you did not on or off duty. And the majority of Officers given a choice or a pay incentive would not carry.

Comment

• In my case, I have a CCW anyway and like to carry all of the time =)
                          Written: 12-11-08
                          Medical: 3-28-09 Pending
                          B.I.: 5-21-09 pending

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunt the Jackel View Post
                            YOUR CREDS WILL SAY
                            Making arrests
                            conduct searches
                            bear firearms
                            serve warrant
                            AND IF YOU WANT TO PRETEND YOU WILL BE VERY HAPPY
                            We do not make arrests we detain
                            We conduct searches THE SAME AS TSA that is it .
                            YOU will not serve a warrant
                            You carry a gun off duty THANKs to the UNION . CBP would rather you did not on or off duty. And the majority of Officers given a choice or a pay incentive would not carry.
                            Port policy is one thing, national policy is another. What it says on your credentials is what you are authorized to do. Your PD can limit what you do to a point, but it does not change what you're authorized to do by national policy.
                            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Oh brother ! LEO pay is not JUST for 9s

Originally posted by robeans View Post
                              People! Gather around and let me tell you something.

First, we already get a LEO Retirement, no if's and's or but's.

Second, we don't want to get "LEO" pay. LEO pay is only for GL-9 or below, and if we were to get that we would loose our COPRA and would get AUO (not going to explain those two again). If I'm at a port where I can Cap out, then I will make more money with COPRA then I would with AUO.

So again, LEO pay, or GL pay is not all it's cracked out to be, and it's only good for 9 or below. A Journeyman Border Patrol Agent and a Journeyman CBPO are on the same pay scale.
                              But your right in a customer service position like ours LEO pay would not work. Yes we have enhanced retirement . And it is fine. IT is not the SAME as Border Patrol , FBI, ETC . The difference being . You hire on with CBP at 34 work 3 years . And realize this job is a joke. YOU CANNOT APPLY to a LEO position. Now say you had hired on at Border Patrol you enjoyed your job for several years but are ready for a change say to ICE . You can make the change. FURTHERMORE we have had droves of CBPOs leave to be IEA. THEY HAVE ALL MADE more money being 9s . WOULD you rather get paid to stand on your feet for 8 hours do 4 more at double time. Punching out i 94s etc. OR GO do a p/u get on a plane . Drop off at Federal courthouse say New York. all in about three hours. Head to your hotel room. Have a steak. Hang out swim work out. Get called back to Court house next day say noon transpot back. OH WHAT ABOUT ACTION. Well you at your Port were doing tns , i 20s maybe a refusal. You imported three cars. Stamped a few carniges LOL ! NOW back home IEA your assigned to a raid next two days. NOW SLOW DOWN HOMEY ! IS IEA the best gig in town. No but compare apples to apples. Does a brand new Focus compare to a new Lexus ? No. But a new Focus is far better then that ratty old 1991 Caddy with 250k on it ,broken window etc .

Comment

• Go to the website I pasted below

Originally posted by 500pearl View Post
                                I had previously asked the same question regarding locality. I was told [which may not be the correct fact] that CBPO do not receive locality pay from the LEO pay scale, but rather the regular federal employee locality table. Can a current CBPO set the record straight?
                                www.opm.gov/ Now look at wages.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11822 users online. 446 members and 11376 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X