300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cjstudent11 View Post
    Two questions here. 1.) I took the test back in october for the newark port and passed. When I check CASS it says that my social security and dob are not in the system. Does anyone know why this might be? 2.) How easy would it be to get hired for one location and then transfer at some point? I heard that you have to wait for an open announcement, but then what is the procedure for applying to another location and how long do you have to stay at one location before you can transfer? Thanks in advance.
    You won't be in CASS until you receive a T.O. As far as moving I couldn't tell you.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by formerNOPD View Post
      Not with personal weapons. Feds can carry nationwide with duty weapons under policy only. Outside of that you need a CCW or have to carry a personal weapon under HR218. The union has nothing to do with this.
      Our union has advised us that any shooting, even with a non issued weapon, will be investigated by the agency.

This policy comes from the same CBP rocket scientists that want to treat CBP and BP vehicle crashes the same...

Comment

• Originally posted by SMOOTH149 View Post
        Hey guys/gals -
        Does anyone have info on advancement for a customs officer. I know the top for an officer is a GS-11, but what about beyond that. Is there opprotunities for supervisor roles, any rank ladder that one could move up. Any/all info would be appreciated. Also any site where this info can be found too would be great. Thanks all, and good luck!
        yeah you can move up to gs-12 as a supervisor by putting in for and getting offered a supervisor spot. and after that you could eventually move up to an assistant to or actual port director. and as a gs-11 you can apply for other opportunities such as canine handler, csi, cet and srt teams.

Comment

• Anybody who has applied for the October '07 hiring get hired yet? Not tentative offers but actually got called and excepted the job? Just curious how fast the hirings are going this time around.

Comment

• Originally posted by madchiken View Post
            Our union has advised us that any shooting, even with a non issued weapon, will be investigated by the agency.

This policy comes from the same CBP rocket scientists that want to treat CBP and BP vehicle crashes the same...
            Ok, I see what you're saying. The agency has no control over what you do off duty unless you're acting in official capacity and with their weapon. If you are off duty and get involved in a shooting with your weapon, the local PD will handle the investigation. IA will only get involved if there is some kind of misconduct, and that will be administrative action only. If you are using the agencies weapon for 24hr carry, then you are acting under that capacity, and are bound by policy.

Your weapon = Bound by local/state law
            Their weapon = Bound by Agency Policy and local/state law.

I'll recheck the policy again, but I'm fairly certain this is it.

Comment

• So, when applying for CBP you have the option to select GS-5 OR GS-7. Does one have a better chance being hired for one or the other? I mean, I qualify for GS-7 in two regards, if I'm reading it right, GPA and Honors. If you low ball it though, are you more likely to get hired? Say, over qualified for GS-5? I know there the same position, just different entrance scales, but I'm not sure how they look at it.

Thanks.

Comment

• Also, is this right you can only select ONE geo preference?? I live in NYC but am equally close to EWR and JFK - and would accept a position in either of these ports. I'd also move to DC- but it will only let you pick one??

Anyone know if you are able to add locations or are you just limited to one?

Comment

• Originally posted by LochRaven View Post
                  So, when applying for CBP you have the option to select GS-5 OR GS-7. Does one have a better chance being hired for one or the other? I mean, I qualify for GS-7 in two regards, if I'm reading it right, GPA and Honors. If you low ball it though, are you more likely to get hired? Say, over qualified for GS-5? I know there the same position, just different entrance scales, but I'm not sure how they look at it.

Thanks.
                  Loch,

I have seen people getting hired as GS-5 with college and as GS-7 with military experience only. Who knows what kind of formula they work with. It is in their interest to hire people at the GS-5 level. Less money out of their pockets. Eventually you will make it to GS-11 if the pay band-ing will not take effect(not anytime soon), but that first year as a GS-5 you will be struggling unless you have some extra income.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Tmack82 View Post
                    Also, is this right you can only select ONE geo preference?? I live in NYC but am equally close to EWR and JFK - and would accept a position in either of these ports. I'd also move to DC- but it will only let you pick one??

Anyone know if you are able to add locations or are you just limited to one?
                    Most people do not get their preference. I opted for NJ/PA/DE and I got offered San Francisco and LA Seaport. Told them I cannot move with a 3 month old baby, therefore I asked for what I requested. One week later I got Newark... I am not sure how things work nowadays, I used to be US CUSTOMS.
                    sigpic

Comment

• I would have liked to put in for multiple locations, but the application only allowed for one geographical preference. See what happens. Good luck all!
                      USSS-UD
                      August 07 - Initial app.
                      September 07 - Initial interview/Post
                      October 07 - Panel
                      November 07 - Polygraph
                      December 07 - Medical
                      January 08 - Drug screen

ICE SA
                      Written - 4/1/08

Comment

• CBPO Announcement 2/25-3/7

Link to CBPO Announcement in USAJOBS:

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/ftva.as...JobID=68639254

Comment

• for anyone who has taken the CBPO exam, are calculators allowed for the arithmetic section of the exam? Also, does it really take the 5 hours that they say it does?

Also. what is the VBT like? What questions or situations are presented?

Thanks

Comment

• Nothing is allowed besides #2 pencils and your ID.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                              Anybody who has applied for the October '07 hiring get hired yet? Not tentative offers but actually got called and excepted the job? Just curious how fast the hirings are going this time around.
                              I took the test 02/07 and selected Los Angeles as one of my geo choices. As of today my BI is still in the "office" and my medical is still pending.

So, I'm not sure about the other people here, but It's been about 13 months, and still going for me.
                              ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                              Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                              March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                              July 09 Oral Board
                              Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                              Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                                I took the test 02/07 and selected Los Angeles as one of my geo choices. As of today my BI is still in the "office" and my medical is still pending.

So, I'm not sure about the other people here, but It's been about 13 months, and still going for me.
                                not sure if it means alot, but according to the cbp hiring faq's, they cant start your background til your medically cleared. but who knows with them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8459 users online. 393 members and 8066 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X