300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hunt the Jackel View Post
    CUSTOMS GOT a 11 was they could not hire anyone in a heated economy and turn over was so high. Add a strong Union . The rumor of the 12 has been around since we got an 11. Same as that import s are going to 13 . Or that we are meging with Border Patrol and going to really get to do something . What is ahpping now is they are loading up the Agency to cut overtime. And to fullfill the mission. WHICH is SERVICE the traveling Public. Read the mission statement. They do not want people waiting more then 10 minutes or so at a border. Again it is what do you want a Law Enforcement career or a customer service job ?
    I really don't know what to think about this guy. I guess it is good to hear what complaints some active CBPOs have about the job, but this guy doesn't seem to like or respect it very much. I undestand that some people don't enjoy their job and only continue to do it for steady income for the family. It sounds like he is looking for what he thinks is a more LE job with a local or state police department. So I guess the lesson to be learned is you should try to find a job/career you enjoy and want to go to.
    Last edited by TPA3312; 04-21-2009, 11:18 PM.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

If you have any desire to be a Law Enforcement Officer you do not want to choose CBPO. Regardless of the location. At first the money and being near your family may offset the job. But as a few years go by it will not suffice. You will realize you cannot push paper for 20 or 30 years. Stand in a booth and have the crossers call you Hey Bud, dude, friend,toll booth guy, welcome man and worse. Punch out i 94s , tns , import cars. And go home and look in the mirror. Oh the Supervisors will say hey your making a great living. And the other clerks will say this is better then working in a factory.
      But even those folks will spend every second on USA jobs ! And don`t forget odd hours. Maybe a dozen weekends off a year . Work all Holidays. Breathe toxic fumes. SO THINK IEA OR ICE before you think location. Do not think short term !
      I imagine you must be a CBPO? From your words, it would seem that this job is horrible? I suppose it depends how you look at life. Now, while CBPO's may not be on the streets enforcing law and chasing criminals, that will not make me feel any less of an officer or give me reason to have a hard time looking in the mirror. It's a job...like any other. I'm a veteran and a man that commands a great deal of respect from my accomplishments and my abilities both intellectually and physically...so...honestly...spare me.

Truth be told...I'd much rather push some paper (if indeed I learn that's what the job really is) vs. having to deal with knuckleheads and placing my life on the line (like I have done before). I will be making more money than State Police Officers...and can say that my chances of being out of harms way for the sake of my family are greater at the same time...you do the math Einstein.

It depends how you look at life...and for all you rookies...don't let some guy like this discourage you. Get in...and see what you can make out of a career with Federal Law Enforcement.

If you have someone give you sh*t about your job and try to make you feel lesser as a man or whatever for that matter...do what I do...invite them to a game of full tackle football...and see how tough they really are...they always turn out to be the NANCIES...every...single...time...

I have a good feeling about my future career with the Federal Government...

Comment

• I really would like to talk more about the retirement package...anyone knows how to calculate it?

Comment

• Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
          Congrats, how long were you in TSU?
          19 days

Comment

• Originally posted by usvi View Post
            Congrats!!!
            Thanks!

Comment

• cbpomr,
              I totally agree. There's ALWAYS someone who doesn't like their job. I was a bartender for 5 yrs, made close to $70 an hr, and yet bartenders I worked with would always complain! Crazy! It's a job, just like cbpo some will enjoy it & others won't. You couldn't have said it better though. One's trash is anothers treasure. Anyways, hope you & the rest of us move quickly in this lengthy process.
              Written: 12-11-08
              Medical: 3-28-09 Pending
              B.I.: 5-21-09 pending

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPhOpeful View Post
                cbpomr,
                I totally agree. There's ALWAYS someone who doesn't like their job. I was a bartender for 5 yrs, made close to $70 an hr, and yet bartenders I worked with would always complain! Crazy! It's a job, just like cbpo some will enjoy it & others won't. You couldn't have said it better though. One's trash is anothers treasure. Anyways, hope you & the rest of us move quickly in this lengthy process.
                Brother, people are miserable...I wonder how appreciative this guy would be of this job if he woke up a native to a 3rd world country for his childhood...then came over and experienced the security and pay scale of a Federal Job...

This guy sounds like he has a pacifier dangling from a key chain...

I'd love to meet this guy in person (not for confrontation purposes) but just to see and talk to him...I feel as if I already have him figured out

Comment

• Originally posted by CBPhOpeful View Post
                  cbpomr,
                  That's how I feel. Hopefully he can find another agencey he will enjoy more to open a slot for someone who will enjoy the career.

Comment

• Anybody here in the LAX/LB area in TSU? How long have you been in TSU?
                    CBP Officer:
                    TO: 01/2009 (LAX/LGB)
                    EOD: 05/23/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                      I really don't know what to think about this guy. I guess it is good to hear what complaints some active CBPOs have about the job, but this guy doesn't seem to like or respect it very much. I undestand that some people don't enjoy their job and only continue to do it for steady income for the family. It sounds like he is looking for what he thinks is a more LE job with a local or state police department. So I guess the lesson to be learned is you should try to find a job/career you enjoy and want to go to.
                      Don't worry, that guy is trying to get a job with ICE FPS which is much less LE then us. In fact they are non LEO, no retirment, no off duty cary. He's going from CBP to a high paid security guard job. Then he'll go there and cry about that one too. He won't be happy with anything.

Comment

CUSTOMS GOT a 11 was they could not hire anyone in a heated economy and turn over was so high. Add a strong Union . The rumor of the 12 has been around since we got an 11. Same as that import s are going to 13 . Or that we are meging with Border Patrol and going to really get to do something . What is ahpping now is they are loading up the Agency to cut overtime. And to fullfill the mission. WHICH is SERVICE the traveling Public. Read the mission statement. They do not want people waiting more then 10 minutes or so at a border. Again it is what do you want a Law Enforcement career or a customer service job ?
                        Don't worry, you'll be kicking in doors with FPS soon enough

I bet LAPD is hiring. If you want LEO, then don't be a fed, go to the source. Get hired with LA then ask for the Rampart District.

Comment

• Originally posted by robeans View Post
                          Don't worry, that guy is trying to get a job with ICE FPS which is much less LE then us. In fact they are non LEO, no retirment, no off duty cary. He's going from CBP to a high paid security guard job. Then he'll go there and cry about that one too. He won't be happy with anything.
                          I'm not worried about that guy[Hunt the Jackel]. I'm more worried about if Florida(throughout) will ever open more training slot. I know I will enjoy a CBPO career. It will be better than doing IT work and cleaning up trashed computers from users installing hundreds of junk software and visiting just about every harmful site on the net.

Comment

• Robeans, wow I did not know that FPS is not covered & retirement, no off duty cary. I know they are responsible for perimeter security around federal complexes and do not have the typical LE duties. I see them all the time outside the mega federal [every federal LE, OIG, and DOJ entities] building near my workplace. The FPS guys I usually see outside the mega federal complex was stationed outside my building today for the Somalian pirate's arraignment.

It's mind boggling because FPS is part of ICE, but ICE is part of DHS. Why didn't they just put FPS as itself as CBP is its own agency under DHS, as is ICE as well. Also, why is FPS not covered and not even allowed off duty carry?

Comment

• Originally posted by cbpomr View Post
                              I really would like to talk more about the retirement package...anyone knows how to calculate it?
                              1.7% of the average of your top-three years times 20, plus 1% added on for any additional years or military time you chose to buy back.

As an example:

Say you work 25 years as a CBPO/any covered position and you buy back 4 years of military time. Say your top 3 years are 95K, 100K, and 105K. That's an average of 100K.

20 years at 1.7% = 34K
                              5 years at 1%.....= 5K
                              4 years Mil. at 1%= 4K

Total retirement...43K, plus whatever you build your TSP to, plus social security.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                1.7% of the average of your top-three years times 20, plus 1% added on for any additional years or military time you chose to buy back.

As an example:

Say you work 25 years as a CBPO/any covered position and you buy back 4 years of military time. Say your top 3 years are 95K, 100K, and 105K. That's an average of 100K.

20 years at 1.7% = 34K
                                5 years at 1%.....= 5K
                                4 years Mil. at 1%= 4K

Total retirement...43K, plus whatever you build your TSP to, plus social security.
                                Wow, that kind of sucks. At the local PD I used to work at, the retirement was a lot higher percentage than that.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9009 users online. 230 members and 8779 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X