• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MSU ILLEST
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by CBPO859
    ______
    --RE: Openings at MI POE's: I also have information from a reliable source regarding the openings PH and Detroit and was also told they needed to fill the SOO. What is crazy about all of this is I know SEVERAL Port Huron Officers that want to transfer to the SOO and get out of Port Huron. They are not being allowed to right now, for whatever reason. It is very frustrating for them, as well as you guys applying for MI POE's. If you can swing it, take the offer to the SOO and when you are off of your probationary period and/or reach a GS-11, do a swap with one of the Port Huron guys wanting to get back to the SOO. You may be there for a couple years but it may be worth it in the end. I know people who work/have worked in the SOO- from what I hear it's a nice Port and cost of living is SUPER cheap.
    I hope to get that call soon. I spoke with a woman a few days ago and she told me that people were turning the Soo down. Se said that she didn't know what number I was in line, but that I should get a call pretty soon. I can't wait

Comment

• merlin436
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by emerlad
      How often are CBPO's testifing in court.
      Just wondering because I really hate taking the stand.
      Almost never to fairly often.

The answer depends on where one works and what one does.

In a small, slow port one might almost never see a court appearance...especially if he was looking to avoid one. In a larger port, one might see court fairly often.

Comment

• az90640
        Forum Member
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by FreeAgent
        az90640, when do you start an where?
        I start on may 4 calexico,CA are you also in class 952.

Comment

• blk98gt
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by blk98gt
          Finally:

CASS
          4/15/2009 You have tentatively met the pre-employment requirements and your file is being reviewed. Once a final determination is made that all requirements have been met, you will be notified of the next steps.

Barnaj- I know you got that message back in Feb., still no word on EOD?
          Can anyone confirm that means my background cleared and I should be in TSU soon?
          Merlin?
          You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• tippmann87
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by blk98gt
            Can anyone confirm that means my background cleared and I should be in TSU soon?
            Merlin?
            Yes, it means you are or will be in TSU soon. Your background has either been cleared or you got an interim clearance......

Comment

• blk98gt
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by tippmann87
              Yes, it means you are or will be in TSU soon. Your background has either been cleared or you got an interim clearance......
              Thanks, that's what I got from previous posts but it's just hard to believe. I tested in 2007 (88 no pref)
              You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• JBC
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MSU ILLEST
                I hope to get that call soon. I spoke with a woman a few days ago and she told me that people were turning the Soo down. Se said that she didn't know what number I was in line, but that I should get a call pretty soon. I can't wait
                Will you take the Soo?

Comment

• jav252003
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by firecop_22
                  My friend and I tested 12/12/08 in Orlando. I got an 84 he got an 83. A few weeks ago we both got the email to pick our location again. We both put in for all other Florida. We haven't heard anything since. We both reapplied under the new announcement about a week ago.
                  I received the same email and reply to all other florida locations.
                  The next day i received a response with a new NOR updating the code change.
                  Are you guys re-testing?

Comment

• MSU ILLEST
                    Forum Member
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by JBC
                    Will you take the Soo?
                    Without hesitation!

Comment

• Hunt the Jackel
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2008

Seeing Court as a CBPO

Is very rare. To learn the true story of CBP click on the first post of this thread. .. They tell the true story. One CBP does not make arrests. Basically you are nothing more then TSA with a gun. And no it is not different on the Southern Border . See the aformentioned posts. A car rolls up {endless line} you send to secondary. The people get out. You find the dope. They comply . You pat down. They say it is not there dope. Call Agents. And that is it. You mostly do what a technician in any PD does . You count or wgh the dope . Test it etc. While the Agents or Locals do all the interviewing etc.
                      Remember other then an immdiate . Everything is done with Supervisor approval. And we still only do pat downs for merchandise .

Comment

• FeistyGoat
                        Forum Member
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Hunt the Jackel
                        Is very rare. To learn the true story of CBP click on the first post of this thread. .. They tell the true story. One CBP does not make arrests. Basically you are nothing more then TSA with a gun. And no it is not different on the Southern Border .........
                        I only lurk on this forum but this post has compelled me to throw in my two cents. Where you work may be different and it should be known that every POE probably has a different way of doing things. However, at my Southern Border POE, if I am the seizing officer on a dope load, It is I as the CBPO who puts the violator in the cell and places him under arrest.

And it is not uncommon, and more towards the regular, for me to see 2-3 subpoenas a month. Granted most of these tend to plead out before trial.

As for patdowns, as you say anything more than an immediate does require Supervisor approval. I am curious as to whether that creates an issue at your port. If I am able to articulate a reason there is no hindrance for me to be able to bring a person(s) into the office for a full patdown.
                        Last edited by FeistyGoat; 04-19-2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• TPA3312
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2009

Is very rare. To learn the true story of CBP click on the first post of this thread. .. They tell the true story. One CBP does not make arrests. Basically you are nothing more then TSA with a gun. And no it is not different on the Southern Border . See the aformentioned posts. A car rolls up {endless line} you send to secondary. The people get out. You find the dope. They comply . You pat down. They say it is not there dope. Call Agents. And that is it. You mostly do what a technician in any PD does . You count or wgh the dope . Test it etc. While the Agents or Locals do all the interviewing etc.
                          Remember other then an immdiate . Everything is done with Supervisor approval. And we still only do pat downs for merchandise .
                          I'm not too sure what type of federal employment you have since your previous posts only say you work for CBP, but I think you are wrong about a CBPO only being TSA with a gun. A lot of things have changed since this forum was started, and I was under the impression a CBPO was a sworn federal officer with arrest power to enforce federal law.

And if you are currently in Customs it doesn’t seem like you enjoy your job if all you do is “clerking with a gun”, feel you “have to get out of CBP somehow someway”, “will stick it out here a few more years”, and want to work for FPS, local or state police at the age of 52.

But if I am wrong, I will admit I am wrong. I'm a just an applicant for a CBPO position so I will not pretending like I know everything. And if you are a CBPO, I would like to know why you don't like the job. Maybe I would have to rethink my career path. I still have time only being 26 years old.
                          Last edited by TPA3312; 04-19-2009, 01:36 PM.
                          Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• merlin436
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2005

IAs I said...it mostly depends on location and port management.

To say the CBPO's do not make arrests is highly disingenuous. It's far more accurate to say we seldom do "formal" arrests. Popping a trunk and finding 30 pounds of M.J., cuffing up people, securing them in a holding area and "detaining" them while seeking ICE/State/Locals for ultimate prosecution amounts to an arrest...by just about any reasonable definition of the word.

It's irrelevant to who cuts the formal paperwork.

Comment

• robeans
                              Forum Member
                              • Jan 2007

If you feel this way, then why do your work for CBP?

BTW, good luck with FPS. They are real cops making arrests and are definitely not TSA with a gun. Some people, I swear.
                              Last edited by robeans; 04-19-2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• nycmike87
                                Forum Member
                                • Mar 2009

Hey guys i was doing my "before you report forms", and was curious. Do we start pcking our health insurance and plans now or is it explained at EOD? Should i print the forms now?
                                Any help from current CBPO's is appreciated.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20895 users online. 50 members and 20845 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...