300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Walla183 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Merlin. I did well on the test but chose a very competetitive port. Let's see if my 98 holds up for Newark.
    I'd be very surprised if a 98 did not get anyone in anywhere...with the possible exceptions of P.R., Guam, Hawaii, and maybe a few non-landborder states with a very limited number of ports(Kansas, Nebraska, Delaware, R.I. and a few others).

Comment

• Im headed to JFK in 2 weeks.

Comment

• Hey all, I've been away from the forum for a while, but I'm back now and wow it's great to see so many people getting the call. Congrats to you all! As for me, I am just waiting for my BI to clear, but I also reapplied under the new announcement for NYC/JFK, so we will see what happens with that. The suspense is killing meeee Good luck to all those still in the process!
        CBPO Timeline
        GEO: NY (All Other)
        TEST: 8/15/08 (88)
        TO: 12/24/08
        FORMS: 1/9/09
        FITNESS: 1/16/09
        VBT: 1/21/09
        DRUG: 2/4/09
        QUALS: 2/4/09
        MEDICAL: 4/09
        BI: 5/1/09
        TSU:5/1/09

EOD: 6/8/09
        FLETC: 7/8/09
        GRAD: 10/20/09

Comment

• Originally posted by mv1 View Post
          Alright, need honest opinions here.

Received my TO today for the Southwest sector of San Diego (San Ysidro, Tecate, Otay Mesa) and needed some honest opinions. I've heard many things, but take everything with a grain of salt. I've heard that the moral of these ports are pretty low and have been for some time and therefore turnover is high. Is it due to working conditions or is it there a problem in the leadership?

Also, I have a very young family (2yr old with another 1 due next month) and I'm already dreading going to GA if accepted. One of my big concerns is that from gathering info, that I would be working a tremendous amount of time due to the activity in this sector. Can anyone give me an idea of what the working hours would be?

Thanks.
          well i'm only in pre-academy so i can't speak for the port over in san ysidro.. but it seems pretty cool. some people are a little uptight, others are really nice. working conditions.. it's busy.. very busy. but, i'll tell you this.. 2 of the guys that are going out to fletc with me, one has 3 kids all 5 and under and the other has a 6 month old baby. they're both around age 24 25. they're not looking forward to being away from family but we all gotta do what we gotta do. working hours are normal.. 8am-4pm, 4pm-midnight, midnight-8am. unless u volunteer for enough overtime during the week, you're most likely gonna be forced to work overtime. so i'd say.. you'll be working 48-56 hours a week on avg. if you have other questions let me know, if i don't know, there's people i can ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
            well i'm only in pre-academy so i can't speak for the port over in san ysidro.. but it seems pretty cool. some people are a little uptight, others are really nice. working conditions.. it's busy.. very busy. but, i'll tell you this.. 2 of the guys that are going out to fletc with me, one has 3 kids all 5 and under and the other has a 6 month old baby. they're both around age 24 25. they're not looking forward to being away from family but we all gotta do what we gotta do. working hours are normal.. 8am-4pm, 4pm-midnight, midnight-8am. unless u volunteer for enough overtime during the week, you're most likely gonna be forced to work overtime. so i'd say.. you'll be working 48-56 hours a week on avg. if you have other questions let me know, if i don't know, there's people i can ask.
            Well the question of the day is have you every heard of the FOH Unit? A guys asked a question about it and no one really had an answer. FOH Question
            Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by DLA View Post
              Hey im startin pre-academy in two weeks. whats the deal with OT whats the rates? and the night differentials and overnights. I heard somewhere midnights are 25%? SOmething along those lines, but can you elaborate for us.?

Comment

• Originally posted by nycmike87 View Post
                Hey im startin pre-academy in two weeks. whats the deal with OT whats the rates? and the night differentials and overnights. I heard somewhere midnights are 25%? SOmething along those lines, but can you elaborate for us.?
                15% Evenings (1500-2359)
                20% Nights (0000-0800)
                50% Sunday
                All OT paid at double rate (no diffs with OT though, but paid at locality rate)
                Last edited by robeans; 04-10-2009, 01:24 AM.

Comment

• ahh sweet, so whats the percent off of? Since were salary. say i work 4-12midnight thats 20% of?

Comment

• i cant click the copra?

Comment

• Originally posted by nycmike87 View Post
                      ahh sweet, so whats the percent off of? Since were salary. say i work 4-12midnight thats 20% of?
                      Well 1600-0000 would be 15% and it would be your base pay for your locality.

$20 an hour x 1.15% = $23 an hour

Doesn't seem like much, but it adds up quick if your on an evening shift.

And don't even get me started on Call Back and Commute.

Comment

• Well, for an update for my fellow WA'tonians.....my BI came today and he seemed pretty straight....as in straight faced, straight attitude and all. He was friendlier to my girlfriend's dog (dogsitting for the week) than he was to me. I was only able to make him laugh or even chuckle at one of my jokes/attempts to lighten to mood. He said he had to get it turned in by Monday. Seemed like he just doin his job, not so much helping me get mine (as some have mentioned here). He said he gotta hit my file hard tomorrow--visit my previous employer, call a few contact, etc. Gotta go to the Chiropractor tomorrow for the eval of my VA disability. And then hopefully I'll eventually get the call.

mlrtme, where ya at?? Where are you with things??

How bout the rest of the NW'ers??
                        Test: 12/8/08
                        EOD: June 22, 2009
                        Class 960
                        FLETC Graduation Date: October 28, 2009

Comment

• From 500pearl

Hey questin gs5 or gs7 fo we start at step one? Example I work 4 - 12 night and salary plus locality for nyc is 42k. So it will be 20 percent of 42k? I'm not sure how to calculate the differentials and the ot. Ot is double? Double the per hour rate? I thought it was salary. Can u give me quick crash course in how to calculate differentials, OT, and all salary related 15 20 50 percent. Thanks.

Everything is based off of your hourly rate for your local.

See http://www.opm.gov/oca/09tables/index.asp

The annual salary you see on opm is just an example they give, but we are hourly employees so all compensation is paid as such.

Ask questions here, your question may help 10 other people.

Plus, for all you prospects out there, you must refine your google-fu. Being quick with the google will help on the job more than you know. Anything from identifying a mystery prescription drug found in a search to money exchange info to country info.

Comment

• i got gs5 so nyc is 34582 how you break that into hourly?

Comment

• From nycmike87:

"hey how do you get that? You showed me a formula. on opm it shows NY im in the city section so im NY NJ paid at gs-5 $34,582
                              then it says this above
                              INCORPORATING THE 2.90% GENERAL SCHEDULE INCREASE AND A LOCALITY PAYMENT OF 27.96%

how would i go about doing the forumla you did?"

Ok, first off don't use the annual salary, it's not the real story. On the opm.gov pay tables there is one for hourly rate, use that one. And use the one that has a B next to it, the O doesn't apply.

In NYC, base pay for a GS5 step 1 is:

$16.57 x 1.15 for working an evening shift is = $19.06 an hour

Our OT is 2x rate so:

$16.57 x 2 is = $33.14 and hour

Tracking?
                              Last edited by robeans; 04-10-2009, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• oooo ok i see it now ...hourly i see two rates. GS-5 b/o...what is that? but anyway thanks for the tip i can now do the math lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6178 users online. 410 members and 5768 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X