300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by imlikeaninja View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you could be on the job for ten days or ten years and they could decide you're not suitable. Don't you have to complete a background check every 5 years no matter what.
    From what I have read, you are on probation for one or two year(s) after graduation. After which, you are a full hire and under union protection. But, your security clearance should be reviewed every 5 years where they could uncover something missed during the first one that could cause your clearance to be revoked and firing.

But as I said, that is just what I have read and understand.
    Last edited by TPA3312; 04-08-2009, 09:45 PM.
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Thanks guys. Well we will see I guess... Hopefully soon

Comment

• I'm not sure I'm not the first and deft not the last...

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
          After seeing your post I decided I would try giving TSU a call to see what was going on with my file. The lady I talked to was very nice and explained to me Florida was full, which she said was unsual, and that I was about #8 in line. I'm happy to hear I'm almost to the front of the line, but confused to hear Florida is full but was listed on the new anoucement. But what can I say? The government works in mysterious way.

As far as Florida being full, I'd read that as something similar to a restaurant having it's tables filled up. No doubt it's true at the moment, but wait a bit and something is bound to open up.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
            As far as Florida being full, I'd read that as something similar to a restaurant having it's tables filled up. No doubt it's true at the moment, but wait a bit and something is bound to open up.
            I agree. I was just repeating what I heard from the lady at TSU, giving some inside "intel" I was told. Personally I hope a table clears quickly.

Comment

Remember, the current announcement is for future officers. As with most positions, attrition is something that is guaranteed. People retire, jump to another organization, pass away etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walla183 View Post
                Remember, the current announcement is for future officers. As with most positions, attrition is something that is guaranteed. People retire, jump to another organization, pass away etc.
                Except for pass away, which I would never wish on anyone, that's what I was hoping.

Comment

• Another thing, the hiring center speaks of funded training slots when it mentions someplace is "full".

I'll bet my house that multiple ports in Florida are operating short-staffed today(and yesterday...and tomorrow). They just haven't gotten around to funding training slots for those positions yet.

Comment

Another thing, the hiring center speaks of funded training slots when it mentions someplace is "full".

I'll bet my house that multiple ports in Florida are operating short-staffed today(and yesterday...and tomorrow). They just haven't gotten around to funding training slots for those positions yet.
                    So the POEs are required to ask for more people, instead of Customs HQ just telling the port how many staff they will have and how many new guys?

Comment

• Anybody work in or around the nashville area? I am fairly close, but as many of us are, WAY FAR from choosing a destination.
                      "Why am I getting a ticket? Because I am trying to deminish my Christmas card list, that's why!"

CBPO
                      WRITTEN 05/05/09

Comment

• What is the number for TSU? I have Florida (all other) entered TSU on 02/11/09.....

Comment

IF you've a letter saying you're suitable...great, I guess you were...for a few days.

Somewhere along the way somebody decided to take another look and here you are...

If you want to feel like you've been lied to...have at it. Uncle Sugar "lies" to many people.
                          Many?

Comment

So the POEs are required to ask for more people, instead of Customs HQ just telling the port how many staff they will have and how many new guys?
                            In the Fed you have Authorized Staffing Levels... the number of positions you are allowed based on Congressional approval and OMB and OPM formulas. From that you will have minimum staffing levels at which point the mission becomes unsustainable without new staff. In between you have gray area that managers can play with as they see fit. Depending on how tightly the purse strings are controlled at the upper levels down to the field, site managers can have a great deal of influence on when staffing levels are increased.

If I, as a site manager can complete the mission I am charged with at a staffing level less than I am approved at it makes me and my region not only look efficient to upper management, it frees funds for other operations. Because you are almost never funded for everything you need in the fiscal year, delaying or not bringing in staff is a great way to store funds for those unfunded mission essential functions that are always around.

Comment

Pretty much. The Port asks for money from Headquarters and Headquarters asks for money from Congress. Congress gives less money than is requested and the money is given to the Ports. The same goes for manning. The ports ask headquarters for people, and if headquarters deems the port as "most needy" they receive the funding for the slot. If it is for a replacement for someone who quit during the current fiscal year and the slot is going to be filled by a new hire, then the port has to wait for a training slot to be granted by Headquarters and the funding for the training, not funding for the person.
                              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Just to add...depending on the port there may be several levels of management that have to get on board before staffing is approved and funded. It 's possible that a Port Director would have to send a request through an Area Port Director who would forward it to a Service Port Director who would pass that on to the District Field Office where The Director of Field Office would toss it up to Washington.

Then reverse the procedure to send it all back.

Along the way, anybody in the chain may decide to modify or otherwise tweak the request.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10777 users online. 439 members and 10338 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X