Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey i take my VBT test and medical next week, just wondering for any CBP officer, what are the work shifts like? will i have time to go college while employed with CBP?

Comment

• Originally posted by superkream View Post
      hey i take my VBT test and medical next week, just wondering for any CBP officer, what are the work shifts like? will i have time to go college while employed with CBP?
      It all depends on your POE. If your college has an online program that will probably be your best bet but working for CBP and being low man on the overtime wheel you will be seeing your fair share of OT whether you want it or not. Good luck next weeK!
      Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

• Well...I contacted Scheduling trying to find out about possible EOD dates...their response was that they have no vacancies for my location right now....anyone else been in this boat or know how often they post vacancies? I was told summer now for the location, but it's all hear-say right now....that would be one hell of a finish...go through all the drama then be told that there isn't a job available....anyone else waiting for Kentucky as a location?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thulsa75 View Post
          Well...I contacted Scheduling trying to find out about possible EOD dates...their response was that they have no vacancies for my location right now....anyone else been in this boat or know how often they post vacancies? I was told summer now for the location, but it's all hear-say right now....that would be one hell of a finish...go through all the drama then be told that there isn't a job available....anyone else waiting for Kentucky as a location?
          well since you have yet to EOD, you can possibly change your duty location choice. If you have your heart set on Kentucky or dont have the means to transplant you'll have to wait and hope for the best. But you should check out maybe Ohio, i know they got a airport POE, or Georgia, they got at least 2 POES (airport, seaport) that i know of.
          Good Luck

Comment

• Congrats to all who are getting the call.

Does anyone know what locality Ontario airport falls under here in So. Cal?

Thanks,
            ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
            Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
            March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
            July 09 Oral Board
            Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
            Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
              well since you have yet to EOD, you can possibly change your duty location choice. If you have your heart set on Kentucky or dont have the means to transplant you'll have to wait and hope for the best. But you should check out maybe Ohio, i know they got a airport POE, or Georgia, they got at least 2 POES (airport, seaport) that i know of.
              Good Luck
              They have at least 3 POE's I think. Northern KY/Cincinnati airport, Louisville, and Lexington all have international flights. I don't know if that would constitute it as being a POE though....I asked the scheduling dept, which btw IS QUICK to respond to email, about changing locations and they had said at this point I would need to reapply. Now contrary to the previous sentence, I was thinking the same thing as what you had said about changing locations so I dont understand why I would need to reapply if I havent been offered a position yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thulsa75 View Post
                Well...I contacted Scheduling trying to find out about possible EOD dates...their response was that they have no vacancies for my location right now....anyone else been in this boat or know how often they post vacancies? I was told summer now for the location, but it's all hear-say right now....that would be one hell of a finish...go through all the drama then be told that there isn't a job available....anyone else waiting for Kentucky as a location?
                Hello Thulsa75!

Unfortunately that's what happens at times with smaller ports (meaning ports that are not on the borders). That is why me and the hubby chose to move down to the southwest border in order for me to have a chance to get my foot into the CBP door. Hopefully something will come available for you though!! Keep your head up!!! If you want to get in quicker check usajobs for announcements at other locations (only if you are willing to move).
                Toughmommy

CBP Process:
                Took Test: June 2006, passed/95 w/vet pref
                TO: Nov. 21, 2007
                Pre-Employment Forms: completed 1/4/08 & accepted
                Quals: completed/GS-5-12/20/07
                Medical Exam: completed Feb. 2008
                Structured Interview: 12/26/07-passed
                Drug Screening: 1/17/08-passed
                BI: being reviewed
                Fitness: completed/passed Dec. 2007

Comment

• Southwest borders are hiring quicker

Originally posted by Mangie2k View Post
                  I did not! Arizona moves lightning fast, guess they really need people down at the borders POE's.
                  This is so true! I spent a year and a half in the pipeline in Ohio but once I got down to Arizona my process is almost complete within six months. The southwest borders are in need of people and the overtime is very overwhelming. My hubby hardly pulled overtime in Ohio because it was given out few and far between but since we got here to Arizona, he is being forced (as a GS-11 Step 5 mind you) at least three days a week and in two months as pulled in over $7,000 in overtime, so yes, the process is quicker on the southwest borders.
                  Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Comment

• Again, good advice!

Originally posted by qixfeet View Post
                    It all depends on your POE. If your college has an online program that will probably be your best bet but working for CBP and being low man on the overtime wheel you will be seeing your fair share of OT whether you want it or not. Good luck next weeK!
                    Especially if you're working overtime out the wazoo!! You best bet will be taking courses online if the college you are looking at offers them. A lot of people take courses through University of Phoenix but they are expensive. So try checking out some local colleges first and go from there.
                    Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Comment

• Tentative Offer

Originally posted by Thulsa75 View Post
                      They have at least 3 POE's I think. Northern KY/Cincinnati airport, Louisville, and Lexington all have international flights. I don't know if that would constitute it as being a POE though....I asked the scheduling dept, which btw IS QUICK to respond to email, about changing locations and they had said at this point I would need to reapply. Now contrary to the previous sentence, I was thinking the same thing as what you had said about changing locations so I dont understand why I would need to reapply if I havent been offered a position yet.
                      Hey Thulsa75!

Do you have a tentative offer yet? I believe if you have a DOR, on the back of it you can change information such as your geographical preference. I can't remember totally but just as long as you don't have a job offer, you can still go in and change your preference? Can anyone clarify this?
                      Toughmommy

CBP Process:

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Well, I talked with the BI yesterday. Talk about a small world he worked with my boss' father before they both retired. After the interview we were talking. He didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to get the thing done. I told him about the LEO retirement age cut off. He was unaware CBP had that now. Once he was told about the retirement he said he would get his report out as soon as possible, because of my time constraints. So I'm one step closer to the final turn down.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
                            Keep your hopes up; I've been waiting forever. With as fast as the testing events went I was convinced that I would be in the academy by no later than last fall. From what I've gathered, some people aren't as lucky as others. I'm sure they'll call eventually. Personally, I've lost interest in the profession due to relocating as I just purchased a house thousands of miles away from the tentative duty location. Regardless, I know they will call. Its never a matter of "if"; it's a matter of "when".

Thanks Tigers,
                            I am starting to think that it is taking so long, because of my TO location as well as the fact that I applied for the GS-7 under academic achievement. My quals have been pending for over 8 months. I guess I'm just anxious to get started, as I am sure we all are.. Thanks for the support.

J

Comment

• Great forum, very informative. Just 1 question, Has any bodys BI gone for more than a month? Mines is one month going on. Thanks in advance...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cbp45 View Post
                                Great forum, very informative. Just 1 question, Has any bodys BI gone for more than a month? Mines is one month going on. Thanks in advance...
                                Hello,

Mine has been going for 4 months. Who knows what the hell is going on...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4907 users online. 225 members and 4682 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X