X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good good i can do 1.5 in approximately 10 mins give or take

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      Sadly, you also really have to be out of shape to minimally pass the test as well...and that's where people should worry...a lot.
      I also look at it like this, if you're concerned that your conditioning is sub par that means you will be putting your fellow Officers at risk. Law enforcement officers should all be physically capable professionals. Lack of confidence in these areas are factors to be seriously concerned of...

Comment

• Originally posted by cbpomr View Post
        I also look at it like this, if you're concerned that your conditioning is sub par that means you will be putting your fellow Officers at risk. Law enforcement officers should all be physically capable professionals. Lack of confidence in these areas are factors to be seriously concerned of...
        No offense... but that is why they have 13 week training programs. You have physical assessments pre-employment and then a 13 week training program. There is no need for anyone in here to tell someone that they will be putting people in jeopardy. These programs and standards are set up to ensure that all officers are fit enough to perform their duties. Advice on how to get ready for training is one thing, let FLETC handle who is/is not capable of performing the job.

From what I hear, the physical requirements have been getting tougher almost yearly anyways. I am sure that that the requirements are sufficient enough to not place officers in jeopardy.

Comment

• Originally posted by buffalo14227 View Post
          No offense... but that is why they have 13 week training programs. You have physical assessments pre-employment and then a 13 week training program. There is no need for anyone in here to tell someone that they will be putting people in jeopardy. These programs and standards are set up to ensure that all officers are fit enough to perform their duties. Advice on how to get ready for training is one thing, let FLETC handle who is/is not capable of performing the job.

From what I hear, the physical requirements have been getting tougher almost yearly anyways. I am sure that that the requirements are sufficient enough to not place officers in jeopardy.
          No offense...but the 13 week training academy academy is much more about academics than it is about training for physical fitness. Which, if you think about it, only makes sense. 13 weeks is far too short a time to go from being not fit to being in good condition. The time to train to get yourself fit is the time between testing and EOD...if you need it.

If somebody is only reaching minimum standards at graduation or otherwise on the job, then I think the "people in jeopardy" assessment is more or less a reasonable one. You might not be putting others at all that much of a risk, but you sure as heck are putting yourself in a fair amount of trouble, if and when the $&%! hits the fan.

edited to add:

Every situation is unique. Not everybody who can't run a 1.5 minute mile under 16.5 minutes is unfit for the job. Some people bring a lot to the table, they just aren't runners. I know that there are exceptions.

Having said that, as a general rule, if someone's not fit, then they're an accident waiting to happen. Let us all fervently hope that the odds do not catch up to them.
          Last edited by merlin436; 04-05-2009, 04:43 PM.

Comment

No offense...but the 13 week training academy academy is much more about academics than it is about training for physical fitness. Which, if you think about it, only makes sense. 13 weeks is far too short a time to go from being not fit to being in good condition. The time to train to get yourself fit is the time between testing and EOD...if you need it.

If somebody is only reaching minimum standards at graduation or otherwise on the job, then I think the "people in jeopardy" assessment is more or less a reasonable one. You might not be putting others at all that much of a risk, but you sure as heck are putting yourself in a fair amount of trouble, if and when the $&%! hits the fan.

edited to add:

Every situation is unique. Not everybody who can't run a 1.5 minute mile under 16.5 minutes is unfit for the job. Some people bring a lot to the table, they just aren't runners. I know that there are exceptions.

Having said that, as a general rule, if someone's not fit, then they're an accident waiting to happen. Let us all fervently hope that the odds do not catch up to them.
            Well put, however, all of that goes for any law enforcement position as well as others. It all has to do with the individual... however, the agency or organization should be able to gauge who is/is not physically able to perform the duties of the position without being a risk. If not, then who is really at fault?

Comment

Well put, however, all of that goes for any law enforcement position as well as others. It all has to do with the individual... however, the agency or organization should be able to gauge who is/is not physically able to perform the duties of the position without being a risk. If not, then who is really at fault?
              Who'd be at fault?

Does it really matter?

At one point(in the not so distant past) CBP really had no enforced fitness standards, beyond the pre-hiring requirements. The 1.5 mile run had to be done...but only finished. Some people essentially walked it, and there were finishing times well over 25 minutes.

The point being that CBP has/will always set standards that benefit the agency as a whole, and in the here and now. They're really not looking out for "your" best interests...ever.

We all know(or should know) the challenges that a career in law enforcement faces. We all should be aware of the risks involved and we all should 'train' ourselves accordingly.

Just because the agency doesn't cajole/prevail upon anyone to off the couch that doesn't take away from the fact that we, as applicants/Officers, should be swaying everyone to get/stay fit..

Comment

Who'd be at fault?

Does it really matter?

At one point(in the not so distant past) CBP really had no enforced fitness standards, beyond the pre-hiring requirements. The 1.5 mile run had to be done...but only finished. Some people essentially walked it, and there were finishing times well over 25 minutes.

The point being that CBP has/will always set standards that benefit the agency as a whole, and in the here and now. They're really not looking out for "your" best interests...ever.

We all know(or should know) the challenges that a career in law enforcement faces. We all should be aware of the risks involved and we all should 'train' ourselves accordingly.

Just because the agency doesn't cajole/prevail upon anyone to off the couch that doesn't take away from the fact that we, as applicants/Officers, should be swaying everyone to get/stay fit..
                It is just too bad that everyone's opinion of "fit" is different. Some people have higher standards, as appears to be the case in here. Who are we to state what run time or how many push ups allows you to be a commendable officer? FLETC & Customs have their standards while at training and every individual has their own standards as well. Let it be what it is, a personal decision.

Comment

It is just too bad that everyone's opinion of "fit" is different. Some people have higher standards, as appears to be the case in here. Who are we to state what run time or how many push ups allows you to be a commendable officer? FLETC & Customs have their standards while at training and every individual has their own standards as well. Let it be what it is, a personal decision.
                  It's not all that hard to define "fit", at least in as far as LE goes.

Take a look at the type of people you're most likely going to get into a confrontation with. They're the measure.

"Fit" is the point at which you can easily overpower them and take minimum damage to yourself.

Comment

• So I would have to go to USA jobs to re-apply to the nationwide announcement, If i want to change my GEO preference?

Comment

It's not all that hard to define "fit", at least in as far as LE goes.

Take a look at the type of people you're most likely going to get into a confrontation with. They're the measure.

"Fit" is the point at which you can easily overpower them and take minimum damage to yourself.
                      No offense but that is hardly the definition of "fit" as there is always somebody bigger, faster and stronger... there are also things like opportunity, cunning and psychotic.

I apologize for taking up valuable space in this forum, I just feel that everyone has a different view on fitness and no one should be told that they are putting lives in jeopardy because they run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. To me that is ludicrous.

Comment

No offense but that is hardly the definition of "fit" as there is always somebody bigger, faster and stronger... there are also things like opportunity, cunning and psychotic.

I apologize for taking up valuable space in this forum, I just feel that everyone has a different view on fitness and no one should be told that they are putting lives in jeopardy because they run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. To me that is ludicrous.
                        Those are your words. I get concerned when a law enforcer shows a lack of confidence at a test that doesn't present a real challenge. It comes down to standards and I certainly don't mean to offend anyone...but I have high standards in all aspects expected of me.

Honestly, what else can one say?

Comment

• ITS HERE !!!!!!! the announcement that is

Comment

• I’ve re-applied under the new announcement for NJ. What sucks it said that I’ve recently tested (12/08) and it will not schedule me for a new test and use the old score (86) instead. Am I screwed with 86 for NJ? It got me a TO for Virginia in 60 days…
                            CBPO Timeline
                            Geo: Virginia and D.C. Test: 12/10/08
                            NOR: 12/20/08 (86%) TO: 02/02/09
                            Forms: 02/11/09 VBT: 02/25/09
                            Medical: 03/03/09 Fitness: 03/03/09
                            Drug Test: 03/12/09 Qualifications: 03/26/09
                            BI: 04/09/09 (my B-day gift!)
                            Met with Investigator: 04/15/09 TSU: 04/10/09
                            The Call: 05/01/09 10.30am
                            EOD: 06/01/09 -- Dulles Airport
                            FLETC: 07/01/09 -- Class 957
                            Graduation: 10/14/09

Comment

• Roly-

I'm pretty sure you can switch your geo preference any time before you get a TO.

On another note, I see that the PAT now includes situps, pushups and the dreaded side-step test!!! Just kidding about it being dreaded.

I'm personally glad that the PT standards are on the way up. When I was taking mine, the lady was telling me about some of the obese people that showed up and couldn't complete the step test. They gave excuses like, "They just sent me the package and only gave me two weeks notice about the test."

Ridiculous!! If you are in bad enough shape that you can't step for five minutes, two weeks is not going to give you enough time to get in shape.

Remember that you wear a uniform and a badge. People should be able to look at you and think, "That guy looks sharp." Or, "He wears the uniform well."

Bad guys size up officers immediately and will run or fight if they think they can take you.

Let's all do our best to stay in shape and stay safe!

I'm off the soapbox..sorry for the rant.

Comment

Is FLETC 13 weeks? I thought it was 16 weeks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5371 users online. 328 members and 5043 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X