Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you have the appropriate phone# I would call, these people sit on packets like no other. Be tactful but be persistent. Sometimes they forget that these are peoples lives theyre dealing with and not a packet of paper thats been cleared for EOD.

I had a great number I got from a friend at my port. I called and what ya know the freakin lady tells me, "O here it is its been done for several weeks, just havent gotten to it yet."

Yea right lady. SO call.
    What if quotas did exist?!

Comment

• Annoucement update:

Vacancy announcement open from April 6 - 26, 2009 for GS-5/7.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/

Comment

• What happens to your current status if you reapply during new announcement?

I have a TO, and have done a few steps so far, but wondered about reapplying if another location seemed appealing.

Comment

• I second that question; I have a TO for Virginia and completed all steps except for BI. I would rather stay in NJ then move... (although in this economy who can afford to be picky?). However, Newark, JFK, or even Philly would make my life so much easier. Anybody re-applied and moved his/her application? How does it work? How much delay does it add?

Originally posted by Sakic View Post
          What happens to your current status if you reapply during new announcement?

I have a TO, and have done a few steps so far, but wondered about reapplying if another location seemed appealing.
          CBPO Timeline
          Geo: Virginia and D.C. Test: 12/10/08
          NOR: 12/20/08 (86%) TO: 02/02/09
          Forms: 02/11/09 VBT: 02/25/09
          Medical: 03/03/09 Fitness: 03/03/09
          Drug Test: 03/12/09 Qualifications: 03/26/09
          BI: 04/09/09 (my B-day gift!)
          Met with Investigator: 04/15/09 TSU: 04/10/09
          The Call: 05/01/09 10.30am
          EOD: 06/01/09 -- Dulles Airport
          FLETC: 07/01/09 -- Class 957
          Graduation: 10/14/09

Comment

• Originally posted by AmahastPL View Post
            I second that question; I have a TO for Virginia and completed all steps except for BI. I would rather stay in NJ then move... (although in this economy who can afford to be picky?). However, Newark, JFK, or even Philly would make my life so much easier. Anybody re-applied and moved his/her application? How does it work? How much delay does it add?
            AGAIN!...
            All you have to do is apply online if the geo you want is offered!... DO NOT decline your previous offer!... simply apply and once you receive a new TO everything transfers over AUTOMATICALLY!... All you have to hope for is to not get the call before you get your NEW TO!...
            THAT'S IT!.... Nothing else required, No other complications... SIMPLE AS THAT!
            CBPO
            Written: 08/29/2007
            EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• When they called the woman I spoke with said they would like to offer me a position with customs at JFK. Since that's where I wanted to be I never really thought to ask about other locations. If I'm not mistaken there is a seaport also (which would be the NYC portion of NYC/JFK Airport GEO) But when I took my VBT the officer mentioned that most likely I would get JFK since that's what they need.

Comment

• I was wondering because I've seen CBPOs at LaGuardia. I would imagine that they would have some sort of presence at the other airports like Westchester or Macarthur. And with all the cruise ships coming in to manhattan there must be a good amount of personnel there. Could just be that they put all the new guys at JFK and then staff the rest of the POE's from people that have put some time in already. If anyone out there knows clue us NY hopefuls in please.

Comment

• JFK use to have a seaport section, but now that is handled by Newark. As for CBPO's at LGA they are sent from JFK to clear certain flights that come in from an international origin. You would most likely see more CBPO's at LGA when a UN event is taking place due to the international diplomat's that come in. This is what was explained to me.

Comment

• In case anybody wants to measure themselves against a reasonable fitness standard...

The Fast Fitness Test

It''s a given: If you want to become better at something, you have to establish a starting point. Even if you think you''re pretty fit, it''s important to take stock of yourself.

The following tests provide quick, simple readings on the essential elements of conditioning, with the results gauged according to the criterion we all use in the real world: how well other men our age perform. Once you start exercising, however, keep in mind that the real benchmark is your own improvement.

Repeat these tests every now and then to measure progress (or lack thereof) and adjust your objectives accordingly, recommends Alan Mikesky, Ph.D., director of the Human Performance Lab and associate professor at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis.

Chair Lifts

What it measures: Upper-body strength

Equipment needed: Sturdy bench or armless chair with four vertical legs

What to do: Sit on the edge of the bench or chair with your legs straight out so that your heels are on the floor and your toes are pointing up. Grasping the sides of the seat with your hands, carefully inch off and away from the chair so that you''re supported by your heels and your hands. Lower yourself until your buttocks touch the floor. Hold for one second, then push back up. Repeat as many times as you can.

Average results:

Twenties: 10 lifts

Thirties: 9 lifts

Forties: 8 lifts

Fifties: 7 lifts

Sixties: 6 lifts

Slow Squat

What it measures: Lower-body strength

Equipment needed: None

What to do: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Keeping your feet flat on the floor, very slowly bend your knees to lower your body toward the floor, taking 30 seconds to reach a point at which your hips are just below parallel with your knees. Take another 30 seconds to raise yourself back to starting position. If you feel you can''t go the full minute, cheat on time, but try to complete the entire move.

Average results (in time to fatigue):

Twenties: 60 seconds

Thirties: 52 to 55 seconds

Forties: 44 to 50 seconds

Fifties: 38 to 45 seconds

Sixties: Less than 40 seconds

1.5 Mile Run

What it measures: Aerobic fitness

Equipment needed: A track

What to do: This test from The Cooper Institute for Aerobics Research in Dallas is intended for healthy, active people. Not there yet? Then work up to this by launching a walking program for several weeks first. The concept is easy: See how fast you can run 1.5 miles. If you have access to a 440-yard track, 1.5 miles is six laps running in the inside lane.

Don''t push yourself to complete exhaustion while doing this. If you''ve been sick or get symptoms like chest pains when you start running, obviously consult with a doctor. Final notes: Don''t eat for two hours before running, and be sure to warm up and stretch first.

Results (in minutes:seconds):

Twenties: Superior—faster than 8:13

Good—8:14 to 12:51

Poor—slower than 12:51

Thirties: Superior—faster than 8:44

Good—8:45 to 13:36

Poor—slower than 13:36

Forties: Superior—faster than 9:30

Good—9:31 to 14:29

Poor—slower than 14:29

Fifties: Superior—faster than 10:40

Good—10:41 to 15:26

Poor—slower than 15:26

Sixties: Superior—faster than 11:20

Good—11:21 to 16:43

Poor—slower than 16:43

Triceps Pinch

What it measures: Body fat

Equipment needed: Ruler

What to do: Get a partner to hold the ruler. Extend your arm straight in front of you, palm up. Grab the skin on the back of your upper arm (the side facing down) between your thumb and your fingers, gently pulling it away from your arm, trying not to pinch too tightly. Have your partner measure the thickness of the skin held between your fingers and thumb (not the distance it''s being pulled out).

Average results:

Ages 20 to 40: ½ inch—good

¾ inch—average

Ages 41 to 60: 5/8 inch—good

7/8 inch—average

Toe Touch

What it measures: Flexibility

Equipment needed: None

What to do: Sit on the floor with one leg straight in front of you and the other bent with the foot tucked against the thigh of your straight leg, so that your legs make a figure 4. Using the arm on the same side as the straight leg, reach as far as you can toward your toes.

Average results:

Ages 20 to 40: Wrist to toe—good

Fingertips to toe—average

Fingertips to ankle—fair

Fingertips to sock line—poor

Ages 41 to 60: Fingertips to toe—good

Fingertips to ankle—average

Fingertips to sock line—fair

Fingertips above sock line—poor

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...Books/43/2.cfm

Comment

• Time it takes the average American man to run 1.5 miles: 12 minutes, 45 seconds

Age (yrs) 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 60-69
                      Time (m:s) 12:18 12:51 13:53 14:55 16:07

http://www.elitefeet.com/are-you-an-average-man

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        Time it takes the average American man to run 1.5 miles: 12 minutes, 45 seconds

Age (yrs) 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 60-69
                        Time (m:s) 12:18 12:51 13:53 14:55 16:07

http://www.elitefeet.com/are-you-an-average-man
                        I think people are to worried. You really have to be out of shape not to pass these test.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kneeo View Post
                          JFK use to have a seaport section, but now that is handled by Newark. As for CBPO's at LGA they are sent from JFK to clear certain flights that come in from an international origin. You would most likely see more CBPO's at LGA when a UN event is taking place due to the international diplomat's that come in. This is what was explained to me.
                          Thanks for the info. So If someone wanted to work out of Manhattan they would have to apply for Newark? Or are you still based in Newark and commute to the piers every day as needed?

I wish they would let us apply under more than 1 Geo at a time I would take either JFK or Newark.

Comment

• Originally posted by cbpomr View Post
                            I think people are to worried. You really have to be out of shape not to pass these test.
                            Sadly, you also really have to be out of shape to minimally pass the test as well...and that's where people should worry...a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              Sadly, you also really have to be out of shape to minimally pass the test as well...and that's where people should worry...a lot.
                              If I remember correctly you are given 15 minutes to run the 1.5 mile. The Border Patrol has the 13 minute run.
                              Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                                If I remember correctly you are given 15 minutes to run the 1.5 mile. The Border Patrol has the 13 minute run.
                                It's still 16:30 until October 1st.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2461 users online. 180 members and 2281 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X