Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by toughmommy View Post
    Hello Mangie2k!

I just took my drug screening and once I went and peed in the cup they overnight the results back to MN and it took about three days for it to show up on CASS...so expect about three to four days for the results.

Actually me and the hubby moved from Ohio to Arizona because I knew I would have a better chance of getting hired on faster than staying in Ohio (at least the Cincinnati airport), which turned out to be true because all I have left now is my med approval. In Cincinnati, I was still in a waiting pool for a year and a half. We knew moving here would be easy because the hubby is K-9 and of course Arizona is one of the southern borders that is hurting for people...so transferring here was no problem.

I am assuming once you have all your checkmarks on CASS it doesn't take long to get your call depending on the location you are going for and their need as well as funding and supposingly the southern borders are in need.

Good luck! Let us know when you get your call!!!
    Hey ToughMommy,
    I'm actually waiting/hoping for Cincy/NorthernKY airport position. Now when you say that you were in the waiting pool, did you mean that your CASS was completed and you were referred to EOD for 1 1/2 years? or did it take 1 -1 1/2 years to process the tentative selection information in order to be referred to EOD scheduling?

Comment

• Been reading for a couple of days now, just got activated to reply here.
      Just a quick question, according to CASS I've passed everything just pending my results for VBT and Pending to take drug test.Now my question is: is it normal for CASS to say I completed my BI while I was still being investigated. The same day my background officier was to interview me I noticed the CASS updated my status to complete. Or can it just be a mistake, either way I’m on the long wait I guess.
      Last edited by jay_c; 01-30-2008, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Waiting

Originally posted by Thulsa75 View Post
        Hey ToughMommy,
        I'm actually waiting/hoping for Cincy/NorthernKY airport position. Now when you say that you were in the waiting pool, did you mean that your CASS was completed and you were referred to EOD for 1 1/2 years? or did it take 1 -1 1/2 years to process the tentative selection information in order to be referred to EOD scheduling?
        Hello Thulsa75!

The process is what took one and half years. I applied and tested in June 2006 (at that time it was for a tech position at the airport). I passed the written exam and then they set up my BI and that was completed in January of 2007, as well as taking a drug test and passing that. By then, I was calling to find out what was taking so long to get a tentative offer for the position and that's when they told me the tech position was put on hold because of funding issues and BP's hiring frenzy. Well, an announcement came out for a CBPO position sometime in February of 2007 (I can't remember exactly when it came out) but of course when it did I put in for that position as well since the tech position was on hold. I figured it would not take long to get an offer since my BI was completed and the only other things I had to do was the VBT, medical, and the prequals for the CBPO position. Well needless to say, I waited and waited and no offer. I made some calls and found out that they were just getting a pool together with all new applicants who tested in February and no offers were being given out yet. Well, I continued to wait until an opportunity presented itself for me and the hubby to move to Arizona and during that time, there was an announcement for CBPO positions on the southwestern borders (this was in July of 2007). I put in for the position and by the time we moved to Arizona, which was in November of 2007, I received a tentative offer and to date (January 30, 2008) I have passed everything with the exception of getting my approval from medical. So the process was much quicker down here on the southern border because of need.

From our experiences, the smaller airports are harder to get into because people do not want to leave. But, when the opportunity presents itself for a position at an airport, grab it. So, it might not take as long for you if they have finished developing a pool of qualified applicants and have the budget to hire. Keep your head up! I know before we left Ohio, I was being told that there was a CBPO position coming available but by then I was too involved in wanting to get down to Arizona. Not sure how many positions were coming available but was told that there was at least one.

Have you met any people from the airport yet? If so, what are their names? My hubby worked K-9 there for about 7 years until DHL moved their operations to Wilmington, Ohio and then of course him and the other K-9 officer had to work out of Wilmington.
        Toughmommy

CBP Process:
        Took Test: June 2006, passed/95 w/vet pref
        TO: Nov. 21, 2007
        Pre-Employment Forms: completed 1/4/08 & accepted
        Quals: completed/GS-5-12/20/07
        Medical Exam: completed Feb. 2008
        Structured Interview: 12/26/07-passed
        Drug Screening: 1/17/08-passed
        BI: being reviewed
        Fitness: completed/passed Dec. 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by toughmommy View Post
          Hello Mangie2k!

I just took my drug screening and once I went and peed in the cup they overnight the results back to MN and it took about three days for it to show up on CASS...so expect about three to four days for the results.

Good luck! Let us know when you get your call!!!
          Hello Toughmommy,

Thanks for the heads up! I just completed my drug test this morning. That's my last step so hopefully it will clear quickly and hopefuly I'll get the call right after that. I'll keep you updated. You're pretty close yourself, perhaps we'll be at FLETC at the same time. Good luck!
          MANGIE2K

Comment

• (Sorry folks, I accidentally posted the same msg twice, please ignore this one)
            Last edited by Thulsa75; 01-30-2008, 11:54 AM. Reason: repeat message deletion

Comment

• Originally posted by jay_c View Post
              Been reading for a couple of days now, just got activated to reply here.
              Just a quick question, according to CASS I've passed everything just pending my results for VBT and Pending to take drug test.Now my question is: is it normal for CASS to say I completed my BI while I was still being investigated. The same day my background office was to interview me I noticed the CASS updated my status to complete. Or can it just be a mistake, either way I’m on the long wait I guess.
              Jay_C that is just the initial CW(Cleared Waiver) and is one of several waves that Security is going to go over for your BI. It is possible to be referred to scheduling if you pass the waiver. I myself had the joy of being referred to scheduling in 11/07 and then have my BI put back in the security office. Now I'm finally back in Scheduling for EOD(Entrance of duty). Bottom line, they can clear you to start training if all other areas are cleared/passed and your BI passes the CW. If there are any issues with your BI, now this includes anything from papers out of order to finding the body in your backyard, they will pull it and put it back in the Security Office. Normal....yes, but so is waiting for several months...Hopefully it will go straight through with no issues but dont be surprised if it gets put in the office even after 1 or 2 months of showing it being passed. It is normal and usually nothing to worry about, just stressfull because it seems like a step in the wrong direction, but again...seriously...it's normal. Keep working out and stay on the treadmill...from what I'm told from people at FLETC right now is that in July when CBP gets the LE status that, if not a certainty then a strong possibility, the 1 1/2 mile run is going to have a time of 13 minutes instead of the 15 that it is now....

Comment

• I got a call from DC today, wanting to talk about some old paid off and current debt.

She gave me until Monday to respond...thanks.

Comment

• Thanks for clearing that up Thulsa75

Now a new question since u seem to know a little bout LE status....does that mean we will go into CBP with the current GS pay scale or will we go in under the LE status pay scale cause looks like its a big difference ...or does the LE status only help us for retirement purposes.....

Comment

• Originally posted by jay_c View Post
                    Now a new question since u seem to know a little bout LE status....does that mean we will go into CBP with the current GS pay scale or will we go in under the LE status pay scale cause looks like its a big difference ...or does the LE status only help us for retirement purposes.....
                    The run at FLETC is still 16:30 not 15. We will remain on the GS pay scale, and only get the retirement benefits.

We don't want AUO/LEAP, most ports make more in OT than you would under either system save the seaports, and 1/2 of the OT counts towards your high 3.

If you want information about the LEO provisions, check the other thread. I update everytime I get more information. Do expect a change in July however to the structure, and I imagine that those who are over 37 and do not have a academy date by then will not be hired. This has happened in the past with other agencies when they got covered.

Comment

• I was unsure of the time right now for it, but was told that it is going to change to 13 minutes, come july. As for the pay scale, they have already changed it if you were able to view it now and previously. GS-5 was 27k-28k and is now 34K and some change...and NOPD is on the money about AUO/LEAP as far as I've read and been told.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thulsa75 View Post
                        I was unsure of the time right now for it, but was told that it is going to change to 13 minutes, come july. As for the pay scale, they have already changed it if you were able to view it now and previously. GS-5 was 27k-28k and is now 34K and some change...and NOPD is on the money about AUO/LEAP as far as I've read and been told.

The times come directly from one of our officers in FLETC now as an instructor.

Where do you see a new pay scale?

Current GS pay scale is here: http://www.opm.gov/oca/08tables/indexGS.asp

Depending on what locality you look at will depend on what is starting for GS5.

All the localities are differant however. For instance, a GS5 in houston will start at $33458 where as a GS 5 in El Paso will start at: $29726.

This has NOTHING to do with 6c coverage. We will not get a raise because of 6c from my understanding of the bill, ONLY retirement coverage.

Also, CBP is under COPRA (Customs Officers Pay Reform Act) which from my understanding is a union agreement from the 90s or before that regulates the way our agency gets paid. Under it I believe we are one if not the only agency that gets double time for OT instead of Time and one half.
                        You may want to Google it, there may be more information on it, however the word is that 6c will not affect COPRA. I could be wrong however, but I am pretty certain that is how things will go with the coverage.

Just boils down to better retirement, thats all.
                        Last edited by formerNOPD; 01-31-2008, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• COPRA facts:

http://www.flra.gov/decisions/v56/56-042.html

https://www.ustreas.gov/inspector-ge...y/t-170801.pdf
                          Last edited by formerNOPD; 01-31-2008, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by formerNOPD View Post
                            ...most ports make more in OT than you would under either system save the seaports...
                            So I've heard.

You know...I'd really love to see the stats that back that up. Especially if the claim is that most CBPO's in most ports make more in OT under COPRA than they would under AUO/LEAP.

25% of a GS-11/1's pay in the RUS is roughly 13.5K, it's a short list of people at a handful of ports that I know of who make markedly more in OT than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              So I've heard.

You know...I'd really love to see the stats that back that up. Especially if the claim is that most CBPO's in most ports make more in OT under COPRA than they would under AUO/LEAP.

25% of a GS-11/1's pay in the RUS is roughly 13.5K, it's a short list of people at a handful of ports that I know of who make markedly more in OT than that.
                              Up to half our OT is creditable under COPRA for retirement purposes. Not sure if they calculate AUO or not towards retirement.

2 hours per day x 10 days = 20 hours

20 hours x 26 pay periods = 520 hours

13,500 / 520 = 25.96 per hour

What's your OT rate for an 11 step 1?

Even at our seaport, the lowest man out made 8K last year, he was a 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by formerNOPD View Post
                                Up to half our OT is creditable under COPRA for retirement purposes. Not sure if they calculate AUO or not towards retirement.

2 hours per day x 10 days = 20 hours

20 hours x 26 pay periods = 520 hours

13,500 / 520 = 25.96 per hour

What's your OT rate for an 11 step 1?

Even at our seaport, the lowest man out made 8K last year, he was a 5.
                                You've misunderstood how AUO works. AUO is 25% of your base pay (with locality) for working, on average, 18.5 hours per pay period. Plus flsa...

Auo is the same amount of $$ (25% / 26) if you work zero hours or 48 hours of AUO in a pay period. You only have to average 18.5 when they calculate your AUO every 3-4 months to stay at 25%.

All AUO is used for retirement.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5362 users online. 193 members and 5169 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X