300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cbpomr View Post
    How is transferring duty stations handled? A curiosity more than anything else. Is there a time requirement when you first reach your duty station?
    Transfers are handled very simply. You find someone to trade with, submit the paperwork and if it's approved by the numerous people in the chain, you pay to move your stuff to your new duty location. It is rare to actually successfully transfer. The other option is to take a permanent assignment to a temporary position, like CSI, pre-clearance (both are in foreign countries), instructor at FLETC and after your tenure at that location you can ask for one of several ports and the agency will move you where they want you.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLCP View Post
      Hey Merlin,

I understand not mentioning the firearms and use of force rules on a public forum, but do you think the agency as a whole is getting better? I know after many mergers the agency doesn't know what direction to go in. I know this job is not kicking down doors, but I am still a proactive guy and want to do my job. I just want to make sure the agency isn't always tying our hands and lets us do our jobs.
      Yes.

Ever so slowly I think the agency is crawling in a positive direction. It's currently a much better place to work in than in was in, say '05.

The next big step will probably be seeing what direction(s) Obama, Napolitano and their underlings are looking to push us toward.

Comment

• Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
        LEO's do not need a CCW!
        Need?

No.

If you want to at least have a chance of avoiding a nexus to your agency though, one better have one. Carrying on the credentials pretty much assures a response by DHS/"insert your agency here".

Comment

• However most states will not issue a CCW to LE! You do not need one!
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
            Normally i would say O'Hare is a slam dunk. Talked to a buddy of mine who's been there a couple years and he seems to think they are pretty well staffed. Im not sure of the other options.
            Are you saying they may not be hiring for O'hare?
            My BI went to my place of work yesterday and today he was going to my previous job. He said he wants to come by my house soon.
            You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
              Are you saying they may not be hiring for O'hare?
              My BI went to my place of work yesterday and today he was going to my previous job. He said he wants to come by my house soon.
              They are always hiring. You just might be in the same boat that NJ folks are right now. They do not get allotted the same amount of slots as some other POE's might be getting right now. It goes by the needs of the port. If POE is important to you then initiate the process for Chicago and sit back and enjoy the ride for 1-2 years(always subject to change). But if POE is not important then jump on one of those southern or western border POE's. They are HOT right now.

Comment

However most states will not issue a CCW to LE! You do not need one!
                Most states?
                I haven't experienced that.
                The only one I've been involved with was NY, and that's a mostly NYC and surrounding counties issue. The upstate border counties were issuing them...last I knew.

Comment

• Maryland, Louisiana, South Carolina....Either way, again as a LEO you do not need a CCW.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

However most states will not issue a CCW to LE! You do not need one!
                    Not to beat a dead horse. But Florida, the state I am registered in does issue to LEO, and make it easier and cheaper for LE who apply. But also says off-duty LE do not need a CCW to conceal carry. (790.052)

Florida Statutes 790.06(4)(b) …If any individual holding an active certification from the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as a "law enforcement officer," a "correctional officer," or a "correctional probation officer" as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9) wishes to receive a concealed weapons or firearms license, such person is exempt from the background investigation and all background investigation fees, but shall pay the current license fees regularly required to be paid by nonexempt applicants.
                    Last edited by TPA3312; 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM.
                    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Comment

• What is an LEO btw? and the reason to carry a weapon off duty would be because you never know who your gonna **** off at your Port? Or is it just to have it with you? ANd my CASS finally says i passed my fitness!!! wOOoHOOoO!....even though i already knew i did and I am scheduled to take my drug test today, this is all happening faster than I thought it would, i just got promoted to management at work after i told them I would probably be around for at least another year or so because I figured it would be awhile, but I'm not gonna complain if I end up leaving sooner than that

CBPO
                      Exam 12/11/08
                      NOR 01/05/09 (73 No Vet.)
                      TO 01/29/09
                      Medical/Fitness 02/26/09 - Passed Fitness Medical still pending
                      VBT 02/20/09 - Passed
                      Drug Screen - 3/20/2009
                      BI - Pending - Pending
                      Qualifications - Pending (GS-5)

GEO Pref. Calexico / Algadones

Comment

• Originally posted by TPA3312 View Post
                        Not to beat a dead horse. But Florida, the state I am registered in does issue to LEO, and make it easier and cheaper for LE who apply. But also says off-duty LE do not need a CCW to conceal carry. (790.052)

Florida Statutes 790.06(4)(b) …If any individual holding an active certification from the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as a "law enforcement officer," a "correctional officer," or a "correctional probation officer" as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9) wishes to receive a concealed weapons or firearms license, such person is exempt from the background investigation and all background investigation fees, but shall pay the current license fees regularly required to be paid by nonexempt applicants.
                        I concur with that, however all of the LEO's I work with and those I know personally or have met do not have a CCW. No need for one. Most agencies would not back their LEO is they were involved in something off-duty and were carrying their CCW along with the badge/ID. Carry your weapon/badge/Id. It's that simple.

LEO=Law Enforcement Officer.

Comment

I concur with that, however all of the LEO's I work with and those I know personally or have met do not have a CCW. No need for one. Most agencies would not back their LEO is they were involved in something off-duty and were carrying their CCW along with the badge/ID. Carry your weapon/badge/Id. It's that simple.

LEO=Law Enforcement Officer.
                          I agree with you the badge/ID would be better than just CCW, but the CCW would just be an extra level of protection. Not something frowned upon. The county I'm in most deputies also have CCWs.
                          Last edited by TPA3312; 03-20-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• What are CCWs?
                            CBPO
                            Test:--------------3/12/07 (89%)
                            TO:--------------- 1/29/09
                            Medical/Fitness:--- 3/2/09 (Passed, CASS updated 3/10/09)
                            Drug Test:--------- Not Required (to my surprise on CASS 3/10/09).
                            VBT:-------------- 3/11/09 (Passed, CASS updated 4/2/09)
                            Pre-Empt Forms:--- Pending....
                            BI:---------------- Pending....
                            Quals:------------- Pending....

Comment

• what about new york city anybody know the regulations and policies?

Comment

• Originally posted by ImmOff View Post
                                What are CCWs?
                                A state issued permit for a citizen to carry a concealed weapon.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12191 users online. 409 members and 11782 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X