Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • With regards to the PT standards in the field. I think an easier way for CBP to implement a program would be with a carrot rather than a stick. I've seen other agencies with unions grant extra vacation time for those who pass their annual PT standard. Those who don't get to go back to the academy and submit to an intensive PT schedule for a few weeks. I never found out what happened if the person failed to met the standard at their academy. My point is, it would be easy to grant extra time off or extra money for meeting the PT standard, but everyone must participate.

    Merlin--I think if a vet fought the age limits with CBP, they would win the case. The MSPB has already ruled on the issue for, I believe, the State Dept. Unless there is some major change in the law, I don't see them changing their minds. I think now would be a great time for a vet to oppose the regulation. We just received 12(d) and the people who were hired before we received it don't have a retirement requirement even though they are covered by 12(d). The decision to not let vets on after they turn 37 really doesn't mesh with the current MSPB decision, the law, or CBP policies. CBP doesn't have a leg to stand on with this issue, other than "they must be hired before 37 so they can retire". That argument has already been tried and ruled irrelevant.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

    For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

    Comment


    • Do you guys think that by watching the Homeland Security USA show, it will help me pass the VBT tomorrow? Sorry, I am very anxious.
      CBPO
      Test:--------------3/12/07 (89%)
      Location:---------- NYC/JFK
      TO:--------------- 1/29/09
      Medical/Fitness:--- 3/2/09 (Passed, CASS updated 3/10/09)
      Drug Test:--------- Not Required (to my surprise on CASS 3/10/09).
      VBT:-------------- 3/11/09 (Passed, CASS updated 4/2/09)
      Pre-Empt Forms:--- Pending....
      BI:---------------- Pending....
      Quals:------------- Pending....

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ImmOff View Post
        Do you guys think that by watching the Homeland Security USA show, it will help me pass the VBT tomorrow? Sorry, I am very anxious.
        You seem like a decent person. Just being yourself will help you pass. It is not difficult. Just be courteous and firm in your decisions. Those are the two most important things. You dont have to be a jerk to be firm. Just be you. And yes there are aspects of that show that could help you. You can see,from the show, that they are all just regular people doing their jobs. Just let your personality shine through in the course of your duties. Treat it like you are really on duty in each situation that you are testing for. You will do just fine. Remember that you are not getting graded. It is pass/fail. No problem. Good Luck!

        Comment


        • Quick question.
          Are you issued a duty knife at any point as a CBPO?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by co94 View Post
            You seem like a decent person. Just being yourself will help you pass. It is not difficult. Just be courteous and firm in your decisions. Those are the two most important things. You dont have to be a jerk to be firm. Just be you. And yes there are aspects of that show that could help you. You can see,from the show, that they are all just regular people doing their jobs. Just let your personality shine through in the course of your duties. Treat it like you are really on duty in each situation that you are testing for. You will do just fine. Remember that you are not getting graded. It is pass/fail. No problem. Good Luck!
            Thanks for your advice my friend!
            CBPO
            Test:--------------3/12/07 (89%)
            Location:---------- NYC/JFK
            TO:--------------- 1/29/09
            Medical/Fitness:--- 3/2/09 (Passed, CASS updated 3/10/09)
            Drug Test:--------- Not Required (to my surprise on CASS 3/10/09).
            VBT:-------------- 3/11/09 (Passed, CASS updated 4/2/09)
            Pre-Empt Forms:--- Pending....
            BI:---------------- Pending....
            Quals:------------- Pending....

            Comment


            • Originally posted by usmc2cbp View Post
              Quick question.
              Are you issued a duty knife at any point as a CBPO?

              Now that's an original question.

              The answer...maybe. Like most answers, it ends up being "it depends".

              Some ports issue tools like knives, leathermans, flashlights, search gloves, etc. and some don't. Generally, the larger ports issue more duty equipment than do smaller ports.

              I've never been issued a knife. I usually carry three.

              1: a CRKT M16-14ZSF. That usually stays in my pocket unless I have a job big enough to need it.

              2: Any Ebay sub-$10 440C knife. That's generally my "work" knife.

              3: Something along the lines of these:



              Cheap, disposable knifes are very handy to have about. Use them in situations where it's likely you'll lose or or destroy a good knife. Cheapies can be had for less than 20 cents a piece if you shop around and hit the right bargain.
              I can't tell you how many cars have gone down the road with one of the throwaway knives in the trunk. I can however tell you of my Benchmade that went down the highway in a South Dakota plated red Dodge Caravan owned and driven by a middle-aged Native American woman. That's pretty much the whole reason I use mostly cheap knives today.

              Comment


              • wow that is cheap for the bulk knives

                Comment


                • jckndab0x

                  My credit is pretty aweful right now im making payments here and there, but i only work part time and with kids makes it kind of hard to make a dent in alot of my debt so do you think they will reject me or will they maybe at least see that i am making an attempt to fix it


                  CBPO
                  Exam 12/11/08
                  NOR 01/05/09 (73 No Vet.)
                  TO 01/29/09
                  Medical/Fitness 02/26/09
                  VBT 02/20/09
                  Drug Screen - Pending
                  BI - Pending
                  Qualifications - Pending (GS-5)

                  GEO Pref. Calexico / Algadones

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post

                    I can't tell you how many cars have gone down the road with one of the throwaway knives in the trunk. I can however tell you of my Benchmade that went down the highway in a South Dakota plated red Dodge Caravan owned and driven by a middle-aged Native American woman. That's pretty much the whole reason I use mostly cheap knives today.
                    I lost an expensive pair of Oakleys that way. Man it sucks!!

                    Comment


                    • Anyone knows how long should the reponses to the VBT be. I know you have 45 sec. to respond but what if you have nothing else to say. Can your response be 5 to 10 sec. long?
                      CBPO
                      Test:--------------3/12/07 (89%)
                      Location:---------- NYC/JFK
                      TO:--------------- 1/29/09
                      Medical/Fitness:--- 3/2/09 (Passed, CASS updated 3/10/09)
                      Drug Test:--------- Not Required (to my surprise on CASS 3/10/09).
                      VBT:-------------- 3/11/09 (Passed, CASS updated 4/2/09)
                      Pre-Empt Forms:--- Pending....
                      BI:---------------- Pending....
                      Quals:------------- Pending....

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ImmOff View Post
                        Anyone knows how long should the reponses to the VBT be. I know you have 45 sec. to respond but what if you have nothing else to say. Can your response be 5 to 10 sec. long?
                        Yes, in more than one scenario i said what i thought needed to be said, then stared at the camera for 25 seconds. I passed without issue.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ImmOff View Post
                          Anyone knows how long should the reponses to the VBT be. I know you have 45 sec. to respond but what if you have nothing else to say. Can your response be 5 to 10 sec. long?
                          Alright,
                          It seems that you have not read through the thread enough to find the discussions on the VBT.

                          1) You are worrying too much about nothing!
                          2) Your response is your own, however long or short it may be...
                          3) Wear a suit!
                          4) Go in with a customer service mindset...

                          This is all you need...
                          CBPO
                          Written: 08/29/2007
                          EOD: July 11, 2011

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by yoda View Post
                            Alright,
                            It seems that you have not read through the thread enough to find the discussions on the VBT.

                            1) You are worrying too much about nothing!
                            2) Your response is your own, however long or short it may be...
                            3) Wear a suit!
                            4) Go in with a customer service mindset...

                            This is all you need...
                            Yoda, whats the word?

                            Comment


                            • Thank you guys I will watch Homeland Security USA tonight, and I will copy the same things the CBP officers do. You guys think this will help? I am paranoid!

                              Sorry!
                              CBPO
                              Test:--------------3/12/07 (89%)
                              Location:---------- NYC/JFK
                              TO:--------------- 1/29/09
                              Medical/Fitness:--- 3/2/09 (Passed, CASS updated 3/10/09)
                              Drug Test:--------- Not Required (to my surprise on CASS 3/10/09).
                              VBT:-------------- 3/11/09 (Passed, CASS updated 4/2/09)
                              Pre-Empt Forms:--- Pending....
                              BI:---------------- Pending....
                              Quals:------------- Pending....

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ImmOff View Post
                                Thank you guys I will watch Homeland Security USA tonight, and I will copy the same things the CBP officers do. You guys think this will help? I am paranoid!

                                Sorry!
                                Im begging you not to copy what you see. Just be yourself and use common sense.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 11530 users online. 436 members and 11094 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X