300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
    Not trying to be rude, so dont take it that way. There are alot of people and a wide spectrum of fitness levels. So, if youre not a complete lazy a** even if you fail the first PEB, you have like 12 weeks to prepare for the final. There is no excuse to bow out for fitness, unless you get hurt, in which case you can most likely go back to your port and return when you are healed.

You can probably guess my opinion, I guess.

Why not have people show up fit before they enter the academy?

Fit people have fewer struggles while training, they can afford to focus more on the academics…if they need to, and they’re more likely to graduate and to graduate with higher scores.

Speaking of injuries, fit people get injured less often. A lot of the tax dollars and time wasted recycling people through the academy could be avoided if people showed up fit in the first place.

Comment

• Still waiting for a TO...
      Would love to be able to leave my current job.
      Last edited by gsa85; 03-09-2009, 08:53 PM.
      BPA EOD - 09/06/10

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        Well...what's a 'joke' to me might not be a 'joke' to you. What you find incredibly easy...I might struggle with. Different people will react to/view different things differently.

If you ask me...I'd say go to FLETC in as physically fit conditionally as you can prepare yourself. If it turns out to a piece of cake for you...you skate through the program without a problem. If you do find it challenging, you're already in decent shape so you've hopefully got the necessary fitness background in to compensate and overcome whatever the challenge is.

I've heard of and seen people get to FLETC in such poor fitness that they were not able to complete the program. I cannot recall anyone coming aboard in such good shape that they were too fit to finish the academy.

Just some food for thought...
        I have never been to FLETC so I don't know. My buddy who is there and almost graduating said he runs maybe a half mile a week. He called FLETC, easy, the fitness program a joke, and says everyone drinks on the weekends. I cannot confirm any of this, never been. But from reading the posts their seems to be a wide range of different experiences regarding the exercise program. Whats the reason? Is there no regular program or guidlines? Does it all depend on your instructor?

Comment

• Another question, my buddy at FLETC said he has a few guys in his class that way over 37 years old. He thought on guy might be 48 or 49. Can someone explain how this guy got the job at that age? I thought no one could get hired after 37?

Comment

• Originally posted by ifoCBP View Post
            Another question, my buddy at FLETC said he has a few guys in his class that way over 37 years old. He thought on guy might be 48 or 49. Can someone explain how this guy got the job at that age? I thought no one could get hired after 37?
            There is a way of getting the job after 37yrs. old and that is if he is a veteran or was a former FLEO. Past FLEO or military experience counts towards this.

He or they must retired by the age of 57, though.
            Last edited by ImmOff; 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM. Reason: Misspelling
            CBPO
            Test:--------------3/12/07 (89%)
            TO:--------------- 1/29/09
            Medical/Fitness:--- 3/2/09 (Passed, CASS updated 3/10/09)
            Drug Test:--------- Not Required (to my surprise on CASS 3/10/09).
            VBT:-------------- 3/11/09 (Passed, CASS updated 4/2/09)
            Pre-Empt Forms:--- Pending....
            BI:---------------- Pending....
            Quals:------------- Pending....

Comment

• jckndab0x

Hello Im finally able to post and happy to say hello to all here, hoping that this 34 year old will be able to make it through all this rigorous paperwork and red tape, nice to meet you all.

CBPO
              Exam 12/11/08
              NOR 01/05/09 (73 No Vet.)
              TO 01/29/09
              Medical/Fitness 02/26/09
              VBT 02/20/09
              Drug Screen - Pending
              BI - Pending
              Qualifications - Pending (GS-5)

GEO Pref. Calexico / Algadones

Comment

• Got my test results today....I PASSED!

Comment

• jckndab0x

Nice job newbie i was so excited when i passed and everyone was like the test is easy dont get so excited anyone can pass it, but it was a great accomplishment for me, so from me to you great job! And congradulations!

Comment

Another question, my buddy at FLETC said he has a few guys in his class that way over 37 years old. He thought on guy might be 48 or 49. Can someone explain how this guy got the job at that age? I thought no one could get hired after 37?
                    Maximum age requirement came along with 12d/6c coverage, and if you tested and got your TO before that... you are good to go!... besides the ones that are age exempt because of prior experience or FLEO...
                    CBPO
                    Written: 08/29/2007
                    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

As long as you have your T.O. before you are 37, you should be good. I am 38 and am close to finishing the process but, I was with BP long enough to count towards the extra days after my 37th birthday. Just a note about physical fitness, I went through the BP academy in 1995, The people out of shape did not finish, and/ or were separated. I can see CBP going to a more challenging PT program in the future. Remember, you never know when you might have to fight in order to save your life. If your out of shape, good luck to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHOPSAKIGATO View Post
                        We had a guy where I worked that was waiting almost two years for his phone call.
                        Pa' lante Boricua!...
                        CBPO
                        Written: 08/29/2007
                        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Pre-Academy Day 1

Hey all, well I just knocked out my first day at pre-academy and must say it was cool. I filled out my paperwork in the morning, then had lunch with the other guys at pre-academy then @ 1p.m. I was sworn in as a CBP Officer. I did alot of question asking and the people I will be in FLETC with are very cool. We even have a " Greener" going back to FLETC. It sounds like I made an awesome choice with choosing Port Everglades since everyone I spoke to has great things to say. Port Everglades consist of two Airports and a Sea Cargo and passenger division. We will be cross trained in all at Post-Academy. The training supervisor called out sick today so pretty much the rest of the afternoon consisted of me twittling my thumbs in the computer room because I don't have intranet access yet to start my online training. To all my vets, I will have a better answer tomorrow about the G.I. Bill.
                          N.Y.P.D.

Passed:Exam# 3007 (1/2004) Military Extension
                          Passed:Medical (1/2009)
                          Passed:Psycological (1/2009)
                          Passed(2:50):JST
                          Passed:Mini-Medical
                          January 2010 Academy:

CBP Officer

Exam Feb, 08: Passed
                          Medical: Passed
                          PT Test: Passed
                          Qualifications GS7: Done
                          VBT: Passed
                          Backround: Done
                          Whiz quiz: Passed with 100%
                          Referred to TSU: 2/10/09
                          Graduated FLETC: CBPI Class 941
                          CBP Officer: Florida

Comment

• Originally posted by ImmOff View Post
                            There is a way of getting the job after 37yrs. old and that is if he is a veteran or was a former FLEO. Past FLEO or military experience counts towards this.

He or they must retired by the age of 57, though.
                            Past military experience doesn't count...only past 12D/6C coverage.

Comment

I have never been to FLETC so I don't know. My buddy who is there and almost graduating said he runs maybe a half mile a week. He called FLETC, easy, the fitness program a joke, and says everyone drinks on the weekends. I cannot confirm any of this, never been. But from reading the posts their seems to be a wide range of different experiences regarding the exercise program. Whats the reason? Is there no regular program or guidlines? Does it all depend on your instructor?
                              For the most part what one does in PT is up to the instructors.

As far as easy goes...maybe. Then again, lots of guys who thought it was easy and drank away the weekends managed to find a way to leave/get kick out over the course of the program. Lots of people finding it a "joke" manage to blow out knees/shoulders/wrists/etc. somewhere during the course.

Like I said before...I've never heard of anyone too fit to finish the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                Past military experience doesn't count...only past 12D/6C coverage.
                                Thanks for your correction.
                                CBPO
                                Test:--------------3/12/07 (89%)
                                TO:--------------- 1/29/09
                                Medical/Fitness:--- 3/2/09 (Passed, CASS updated 3/10/09)
                                Drug Test:--------- Not Required (to my surprise on CASS 3/10/09).
                                VBT:-------------- 3/11/09 (Passed, CASS updated 4/2/09)
                                Pre-Empt Forms:--- Pending....
                                BI:---------------- Pending....
                                Quals:------------- Pending....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8697 users online. 383 members and 8314 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X