Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My girl works at the local airport in Phoenix and she was talking to the customs guys about pay. They all told her they make more than local law enforcement. I'm currently in the process for Phoenix PD and CPBO. I applied for Arizona with CPBO. Does anybody know my chances of getting posted somewhere other than the border? Maybe the airports in Phoenix or Tucson?

Comment

• My question is: Do you want action or you want a safe job (airport) ?

If CBP will start you out as a GS-5, you will be making as much as a security guard at the Airport. One year later when GS-7 knocks on your door... things will look much better. Two years later, if the paygrade stays the same, you will be a GS-9 making in the high $40's and if you aren't bored out of your mind and still a CBPO, GS-11 will present itself and that is a somewhat comfortable salary at high $50's. Add some OT to it, and you will be making as much as a veterinary doctor

Now I am not sure what Phoenix PD pays, but some police departments have a starting salary that are just amazing. You might be in your twenties, craving for action... you want to be on COPS, kick down doors and take names. CBP is a passive (airports) reactive kinda job. The only times we are proactive is when something bad happens and we go to RED. I am talking about the airports because you desire that location. Things are definetly different at the border crossings, where confrontations, drug seizures are common. CBP officers at the borders are recognized by local law enforcement as one of their own. We seize more money and drugs than DEA and provide a great number of cases for the locals.

You asked if there is any possibility for you to go to an airport. The choice is yours. When they call you with an offer, you accept or deny. If you want an airport you tell them that you rather wait, but question is: will CBP wait for you? It's a tough one and hope more fellow officers will answer your question.
      sigpic

Comment

• The most important thing for me now would be location. I would like to stay close to Phoenix or Tucson area. I was told my chances of getting posted in Phoenix were decent so I figured why not give it a shot. Now if they make an offer down at the border, I will still definitely consider. I have recently completed the process for Phoenix PD and CBPO and I'm just waiting on a call. I believe Phoenix PD starts in the mid 40's. Thanks for all the info Matyoka.

Comment

• Hey, Frenchy480... if I get an airport slot, you can have mine

Comment

• Hey, thanks! Ill be sure to keep that in mind

Comment

• Can you guys clarify something for me. I chose my location Los Angeles/Long Beach earlier in the year. Is it possible they could offer me a job in a different area than I chose? I was under the impression that DHS will contact you when they have an opening for your geographical preference.
              ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
              Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
              March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
              July 09 Oral Board
              Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
              Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Locations

will0861,
                It depends on what locations you put down and what announcement you applied to. When I was hired I was offered 3 locations and I was able to have time to think about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1895FED View Post
                  will0861,
                  It depends on what locations you put down and what announcement you applied to. When I was hired I was offered 3 locations and I was able to have time to think about it.

Initially I chose three different locations. Then about a year ago I got a letter from the hiring center telling me that they changed their policy and I had to choose one location. I chose Los Angeles/Long Beach. That is still about an hour commute for me on a good day. Any further than that and I have to consider moving. That would be hard since my wife is establishing her career were we live now. I guess I just want to be prepared for what they might offer. Having to relocate within California, or out of state, would make it a tough choice for me since my wife and I would both be starting new careers.
                  ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                  Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                  March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                  July 09 Oral Board
                  Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                  Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• I Looooooovvvvvvee this forum !

Go Team Cbp !

Lol

Comment

• I was given long beach seaport and san francisco. None of the two came even close to what I requested. I had to deny and remind them that I lived 20 minutes from Newark, NJ. 3 days later phone rang and my Newark, NJ offer came through.
                      sigpic

Comment

• can anyone tell me if you can transfer from CBP to ICE, and what are the requirements and process to do this?

Comment

• Direct transfers don't exist. You can get a pin number from an ICE recruiter who has a limited number of them to hand out...just to take the test.

CBP will get you a toe in the door, not quite a whole foot!

It is better than nothing, but you are still subjective to the test, interviews, and networking that lots of people have to do. Your best bet is to get an intern with ICE in college, and bring in hot coffee and food to the people that matter each day. If you think I am joking, then you don't understand the true dynamics of DHS. It will make you silly in the head if you try to understand it with common sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by superkream View Post
                            can anyone tell me if you can transfer from CBP to ICE, and what are the requirements and process to do this?
                            Can a carpenter transfer into an accounting job ? Of course not.

CBP and ICE, even though under the same Federal Agency, have different tasks. What is your present occupation within CBP? What do you want to do for ICE? Criminal Ivestigations? Deportations? Immigration Inforcement? Adjudications?

Each and every position described above has it's own academy curriculum... A CBP officer interested in any of the above would have to re-visit FLETC (with exception of Legacy INS officers who can transfer into IEA positions without academy). I hope this gave you an idea of how things work, and if you are not in the Federal service yet, well... make sure you chose the one that you will be happy with.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Advice

Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                              Initially I chose three different locations. Then about a year ago I got a letter from the hiring center telling me that they changed their policy and I had to choose one location. I chose Los Angeles/Long Beach. That is still about an hour commute for me on a good day. Any further than that and I have to consider moving. That would be hard since my wife is establishing her career were we live now. I guess I just want to be prepared for what they might offer. Having to relocate within California, or out of state, would make it a tough choice for me since my wife and I would both be starting new careers.
                              WILL,
                              My advice to you is hold out for what you want, cause a swap and or transfer almost has to go through PRESIDENT BUSH, to get approved
                              That is the great RED TAPE that the government has that you have to CUT through!

If you take somewhere that you don't want you will have to spend AT LEAST 3 years at that location before that Port, Airport, Seaport releases you!

Comment

• Hello all,
                                I 've been going through the hiring process since Jan. '07 and have completed everything but the BI. I have also been reading this forum the whole time, but haven't needed to post anything until now. Here's my deal: I got the letter back from Washington saying that I have been found unsuitable from the preliminary investigation. I am going to appeal this, but I just want to know if anyone has gone through this or know someone who has. I was found unsuitable from "illegal drug use and financial issues". I admitted that I smoked weed a few times after I got out of the Marine Corps, but I didn't think it would be a problem since I did it so few times and I felt good that I was being honest. God knows how many people applied to this job that didn't admit that they were potheads back in high school. Financial issues: I don't really know what they were referring to on this one cause they didn't say. Anyway, if you have any advice on my appeal please reply back. I don't need people who don't know what they're talking about trying to give advice here. I fully believe that I have good character and if I can get a background investigator to interview me they will believe the same. I want this job and I know I'll be damn good at it if I can get there......please help

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9100 users online. 283 members and 8817 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X